Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1372

Thread: Steven Wilson catch-all thread (Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communion)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post

A post shared by on

Oh shit! What does it mean? Ahhhh!!!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Based on what I have gathered, potential new signing with Sony and a new album. Excited would be an understatement.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I’ve spent a lot of this past week revisiting Storm Corrosion. What a sublimely haunting, angular, oddly challenging album that is. I just adore it. ‘Ljudet Innan’ might be one of the most beautiful SW compositions ever; there are moments of utter perfection therein.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    I’ve spent a lot of this past week revisiting Storm Corrosion. What a sublimely haunting, angular, oddly challenging album that is. I just adore it. ‘Ljudet Innan’ might be one of the most beautiful SW compositions ever; there are moments of utter perfection therein.
    It is my hope that Steve and Mikeal do another.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Excited for this! Seems like it'll be a new album given they apparently signed with Sony, no reason to do that if it were just reissues of older material or a tour. Someone on Reddit mentioned they got a press release and that we'll hear more about this Monday, but can't say anything more right now. It's Reddit, so take that with a grain of salt maybe... still, something's definitely happening.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Well, seems it's finally happening, i just hope they are able to tour, need to see them live again!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    They uploaded a new clip that sounds like a bass being strung.

I reversed and pitch shifted the first clip: here. Sounds like someone messing around with a demo recording.

Anyone wanna bet that the album is going to be called 'Carbon Copy'? SW is not one to avoid thematic repetition.
    Last edited by stankeybearlover; 10-30-2021 at 09:29 AM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Porcupine Tree Creates Cash

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Though nothing official, but the fact that Colin isn't included in the new Porcupine 3 Registered Company for the band and his exclusion from the following promo image makes it appear that Mr. Edwin is not involved in the new Porcupine Tree project. SW does do a lot of his own bass guitar, but it's anyone's guess who might perform those duties on a hypothetical tour, if there is one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That's too bad. Guess that means there will be no finger style bass playing on the record. Edwin's contributions and his chemistry with Harrison were the highlight of PT's heavy output, imo

edit:
    It seems like Colin Edwin is busy working on a new album with his current band, which has Mastelotto on drums.
    Last edited by stankeybearlover; 10-31-2021 at 03:16 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    A damn shame if we're getting new Porcupine Tree without Colin. I'm a huge fan of his playing.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Honestly hearing Barbieri and Harrison making music makes me elated with joy, not to demean Wilson. There was something magical between those two. Hype is on fire.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Kinda odd to drop your first single eight months in advance of the album release.

Going off of this song the album might have the potential to be up to par with Nil Recurring. Which is their best release, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by stankeybearlover View Post
    I reversed and pitch shifted the first clip: here. Sounds like someone messing around with a demo recording.
    The clip is from this song. 'Like the harridan you are.'

(Harridan means 'old bitch'.)
    Last edited by stankeybearlover; 11-01-2021 at 06:07 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The chorus on the new track is a nice ear worm. The main groove is excellent. Really this is good stuff. So great to have them back. I love much of SW's body of solo work, but this aspect of his music has been greatly missed. Gavin co-wrote the single. Obviously the percussion is amazing. Barbieri's touch is so powerful as well. I couldn't help but smile at that 4 minute mark.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stankeybearlover View Post
    Kinda odd to drop your first single eight months in advance of the album release.
    But also kinda nice. Instead of an announcement followed by eight months of waiting, hoping for a single, it's: here's the announcement and also a new track to hold you over. I'm into it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    But also kinda nice. Instead of an announcement followed by eight months of waiting, hoping for a single, it's: here's the announcement and also a new track to hold you over. I'm into it.
    The tour is way off in Autumn of 2022 as well. Which, this may simply be due to logistics and trying to be far enough off in an attempt mitigate any pandemic concerns. I also think that Sony might be fronting them an allowance for a tour, but they have got to be positive about album sales already. It looks like the album has already sold out on initial stock at many online stores. I am sure they will up the anty on production to meet restock demand.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Great song. Putting this much time in front of the release date is a good move for all the reasons said so far, plus it gives them extra time to promote and put the word out there that they’re back, then if they were putting it out in January or February from now.

This has been an incredible year for me personally so to see that my favorite band is back together is quite something. Steven finally read the room and is rocking again. All is right with the world.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Heard some of the tracks will be "The Incident" outtakes, don't care, i'm happy they are back!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've had this track on repeat all day, I really enjoy it. I had mostly given up hope for new Porcupine Tree, what a nice surprise to see them back.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Happy the song is just strange enough. And surprised at how metal it gets! Opening with the bassline is a bold move, considering Colin Edwin is out of the band.

(John Wesley is out too, and he's bummed about it. Justice For Wes!)

I wonder who else will be in the live band. Maybe they'll just do it with backing tracks...

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post

(John Wesley is out too, and he's bummed about it. Justice For Wes!)

I wonder who else will be in the live band. Maybe they'll just do it with backing tracks...
    Really? Jonh was a touring member mostly, but i don't get why he's out?

I wouldn't be surprised if Nick Beggs becomes a touring member, he has played PT songs after all...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Really? Jonh was a touring member mostly, but i don't get why he's out?

I wouldn't be surprised if Nick Beggs becomes a touring member, he has played PT songs after all...
    Beggs being the touring bassist makes a lot of sense. But I am certain there will be a backing guitarist/musician. Too layered for just Steven and it frees him up for multi-keyboard parts he typically also performs on stage with Barbieri. But who that may end up being is anyone's guess. We're still a long way off before the touring begins so even an announcement might be subject to change. SW, being a producer and engineer, knows a lot of musicians. I am sure it will be someone with chops.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Paul Stacey, who worked on both sides of the desk on To The Bone. I think he even has a credit on “Harridan”, so he might be someone in strong consideration when the time comes for how they will put together the band. I like the idea of Beggs and Harrison live, and is clearly adept as a vocalist himself and harmonizes with Steven very well.

As for the song itself, I love it. When it gets heavy 3-4 minutes is when it dawned on me that this was the band I loved all these years. I remember a quote from an earlier interview being brought up when news of the new music hit, that SW said he would be interested in returning if he were able to directly collaborate more with the other guys instead of doing the heavy lifting of composing all himself. I’m sure the fact that Gavin got to work with and in his own way pick Fripp’s brain so directly all those years appealed to SW as much if not more then the experiences the two had together writing, recording and performing together. So from where I sit it’s almost like a new band again, the way it was when In Absentia came out. There are still traces of the old sound but it feels fresh compared to SW’s last 2 records where it felt far more like one man’s work than a collective. And maybe, in this stage of his career, that’s where the gold might come from now. Can’t hold talent like that back for long.

Wilson has been an able collaborator in no-man and in Blackfield, Less so on Blackfield’s latest albums which I don’t mind saying were quite forgettable. But he never really did that with PT until the last two albums, and maybe not to the extensive degree that they probably did for this record, and maybe go from there. Like them or not it worked for Metallica on their last two records, in that they made them in total collaboration as opposed to it being the James and Lars show. That gets me to wondering about the elephant in the room, and where Colin is or more likely isn’t in the picture. This is a band with amazingly little drama, Maitland’s leaving was quickly resolved with Gavin coming in and the band just sort of disappeared like the song goes, with odd things said by SW in interviews as a solo artist about the band’s future. So there are as much questions as there is relief this band is back. Speaking for myself I will take a great album over answers to those questions.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    wow, i completely missed this...

also:

Steven Wilson announces new solo album

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I posted this on the SW Reddit this evening but want to share the raw text here too, as an appreciation for the general classiness and awesomeness shown over these many pages. Been kind of in and out here, with more focus on Letterboxd lately. I’ve written a lot over the last year and it’s been Wilson’s music that has been a big part of the soundtrack for this new phase of my life, one which holds more possibilities then I have felt possible.

“The sound of children playing at the end of HCE made me break down in tears. To say the place it holds in my life, at the time it came out and 7 years later right now, is emotionally monumentally draining. Back then I was 31, and started to drift from the care-free self into something far more pathetic and tragic then if I could break down what this song means or that one, to which person or situation it applies to.

This is, for me, his Wish You Were Here. I was introduced to that music at 13, and within it the mere taste of possibilities Steven was exploring more obscurely from my attention at the same time when Signify came out, the first proper Porcupine Tree band album. The themes of absence it’s lyricist devised against the musically and emotionally complex arrangements particularly of his keyboard player and the famous four notes on the guitar Dave so effortlessly put his stamp on.

SW had a less intimate relationship with his muse for this record by comparison to how WYWH is so utterly informed by personal relationships, something a great deal it has in common with classic albums of all decades but particularly that of the 1970’s, when I was hardly a glint in my dad’s eyes. But it feels appropriate that his empathy and affection was only in the part of a viewer of a life on the other side of a screen, something I sometimes thought of myself always as. If not the computer but through the walls that have existed since childhood.

Getting back to the topic, my mind divided into two places of sorrow for the tragedies out of my grasp to begin to describe but watch in horror like most of the world, but also of that almost immediate sense of grief towards my youth and innocence, left behind on celluloid, tape and a slowly fading memory, when the ‘Perfect Life’ melody returns. Remembering when it was the most pure instead of that exact place when I saw it die like I did for so long, has been the greatest gift of the last few years.”
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 03-01-2022 at 11:34 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    North / South America dates!

Sep 10 - Toronto, ON TO Live (Meridian Hall)
    Sep 12 - Laval, QC Place Bell
    Sep 14 - Boston, MA MGM Music Hall at Fenway Park
    Sep 16 - New York City, NY Radio City Music Hall
    Sep 17 - Philadelphia, PA The Met Philly
    Sep 18 - Washington, DC The Anthem
    Sep 20 - Chicago, IL Auditorium Theatre
    Sep 23 - Irving, TX Toyota Music Factory
    Sep 25 - Denver, CO Bellco Theatre
    Sep 28 - San Franscisco, CA The Masonic
    Sep 30 - Los Angeles, CA Greek Theatre
    Oct 04 - Mexico City, MX Pepsi Center WTC
    Oct 07 - Santiago, CL Movistar Arena

My September now consists of 4 NIN shows, Rammstein, Roger Waters, and Porcupine Tree. I'm excited but will need many naps.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Damn! just when i'm having money issues,

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    what's this about the presale code??? gotta preorder to get it? i need code!!!