Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson catch-all thread (Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communion)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Was happy to see this in the mail this morning, not thinking it was coming in today until I saw that Burning Shed was re-tweeting customers who had theirs arrive already. The package is wonderful, and I was very tempted to just leave it in the wrapping before temptation became too heavy and I went right in for it. Lasse Hoile did again, a wonderful job lighting and directing the performance. Each musician is given equal camera time, gradually exposing the nuances of their performances as the show carries on.

Steven is just a man possessed, going back and forth between electric guitar, acoustic, keyboards and singing. And in "Raider II" he goes between all of them quite frequently. Likewise Theo Travis is on all but one song, switching reeds and even playing keyboards himself on a few tracks. Marco does an excellent job on the heavier stuff, and adds his flavor to songs like "Index" where the song really comes alive compared to the more clinical studio version. All in all, it's a very tight band and I don't blame Steven one bit for immediately going back into the studio with these guys for his next album.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    The packaging is so pretty, im so glad i ordered and just watching the concert again gives me chills, fuckin magic night one of the best concerts in my life, that's for sure!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Jesus the crowd is dead quiet during the opening of "Raider II".

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Jesus the crowd is dead quiet during the opening of "Raider II".
    Oh yeah, Steven asked us to be "silent" during the begining of the song for dramatic purposes, the mexican audience is very loud so this was unique, but there's always the asshole that "squeals" during the silence, what a douchebag! im glad you can barely hear him...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    He isn't there at all on the CD mix, I'm guessing it might have taken some post-production trickery to remove it. That or it wasn't picked up by the recording equipment.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Damn, "Luminol" is amazing (and has a distinctly Steven Wilson title, ha). I don't know if I'll buy the DVD, but the performances sound really spectacular.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Lengthy article/interview with Steven about his various projects. Also gave us an idea when to expect the new record, which should hit sometime next March. 7 new songs, 4 of them 10-plus minutes.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    onthewall is going to kill me but here's the third video for the recording sessions...

This sounds so good! i can't wait for the new album, and im starting to listen the Alan Parson's influence!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    To the contrary, it's good someone else is pulling their weight here LOL. The track sounds awesome, it's described as orchestral so I hope they record strings for it. As awesome as this band is, I still hope Steven somehow imploys more exotic instruments on top of what's being put down already.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I think he's evolving even more! i mean it's impressive the growth from "Fear of a Blank Planet" to "Grace for Drowning", think his solo stuff "triggered" something in him, so it's safe to say he'll be using different and exotic instruments in a near future

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    His official website has been re-done, complete with news on the new album, and the first dates of his 2013 jaunt

Also ran into this bit of artwork on the site, a preview of what will be part of the next album's packaging and also promotion for the Paris show.

Last edited by onthewall2983; 10-20-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: New URL's.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    My favorite song from "The Incident" by far

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i love how collaborative it seems like this new album is. like steven is still running the show, but everyone has a say. maybe i'm not describing it well. either way, i'm REALLY excited for the album.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    What I see it is, is that Steven is aware of his technical limitations compared to some of the other players in his ensemble. He's an above-average (he probably would say just average) guitar/bass/keyboard guy and has a great capacity for melody, but he wants the best guys he can get to express and push his ideas further. They all are doing their own thing, but following him at the same time.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Plus, Steven has confessed that he can't read music or remember the names of chords. He plays music by ear, so every time he needs help with notation, he asks somebody like Barbieri.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Steven: i know you're happy playing with Marco and Adam but please play with these guys again!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Today is his birthday, btw (45, WTF?)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    *drip drip*

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    ^Mr Wilson is going to get mad and destroy our iPods for that (im already listening)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    ^ still dislike that song greatly. it really was doomed as a single.

Octane Twisted leaves me saying "meh" too. second disc of audio is great, but i don't particularly care about the first disc (it certainly doesn't outmatch the album), and the DVD is pretty godawful. i doubt anything will dethrone Coma Divine and Anesthetize from now onward.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I love it actually, but I get what you mean. "Piano Lessons" is worse.

I'm not surprised the DVD isn't up to par, based on the videos. There's a big question mark surrounding the band right now, but I'll just come out and say I won't be surprised if they part ways soon enough. Wilson has really come into his own with these solo records, and maybe the idea of going back to Porcupine Tree will be like stepping backward artistically.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I love it actually, but I get what you mean. "Piano Lessons" is worse.

I'm not surprised the DVD isn't up to par, based on the videos. There's a big question mark surrounding the band right now, but I'll just come out and say I won't be surprised if they part ways soon enough. Wilson has really come into his own with these solo records, and maybe the idea of going back to Porcupine Tree will be like stepping backward artistically.
    I agree, as i said on an earlier post: Steven is way to confortable with the "Grace for drowning live band" and he is very happy with all the fan support and acclaim his solo carrer has received, plus now he's not tied with the "most commercial" format of PT (that he seems to dislike at moments).
    I would like him to keep his "two bands" (plus No-Man), with his solo carrer as the "main band" and PT as the "part-time band" (much like Trent Reznor is trying to do with HTDA and NIN).
    I would really love another PT album and a small tour but im also looking forward for Steven's third album, at least the second one it's a sure thing...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I thought last night it would be cool if Gavin, Richard and Colin formed a new band with John Wesley if Steven does put the brakes permanently on PT.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

The new album by Steven Wilson and band The Raven that Refused to Sing (and other stories) will be released on Kscope on 25th February. The album was written between January-July and recorded in Los Angeles in September with Steven’s current band line up of Guthrie Govan – lead guitar, Nick Beggs – bass guitar, Marco Minnemann – drums, Adam Holzman – keyboards, Theo Travis – saxophone / flute and engineered by legendary producer/engineer Alan Parsons.

Track listing:
    1. Luminol (12.10)
    2. Drive Home (7.37)
    3. The Holy Drinker (10.13)
    4. The Pin Drop (5.03)
    5. The Watchmaker (11.43)
    6. The Raven that Refused to Sing (7.57)

More info here.