Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33

Thread: Steven Wilson catch-all thread (Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communion)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    He makes good music. I don't know why he's not more popular. He is to Britain what Gord Downie was to Canada. Essential listening for sure.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    I think it has to do with the "Prog" tag he's mostly associated with, but in the latest interview i heard "To the Bone" is his best selling album ever, wonder if his status will change in the next several years...

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Weirdly enough in America on the Billboard Album chart it only reached nearly 20 spots below what Hand. Cannot. Erase. did. I don't know what that means in terms of overall sales, but that's not exactly an improvement on the face of it.

I've moved beyond that indignant feeling that his work isn't more well-known. Now that he's on a record label that's overseen by such a huge company like Universal that is allowing him the artistic comfort (coupled with the lessons surely learned from when Porcupine Tree were on Lava) he had before is a relief because it means he can just do what he's been doing but with more solid support behind him.

Somehow, it will all come around and in at least his home territory it's starting to look that way for him. The mere fact he can tour and sell out in places like Mexico, India and other far-flung locations tells me that his work has resonated on an international level.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    This is cool, the recent vinyl reissue of Deadwing entered in at number 1 on the UK Rock album charts this week nearly 13 years after it's original release..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Just bought my ticket for the May 3rd show. I've heard amazing things about SW live, so I'm super excited.

Mentioned
    338 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    This is cool, the recent vinyl reissue of Deadwing entered in at number 1 on the UK Rock album charts this week nearly 13 years after it's original release..

it sounds so good. my wife and i listened to it yesterday.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    The thing I had heard is that Barbieri doesn't prefer the approach to keyboards that Adam Holzman does, which is way more virtuosic and not as much about textures and soundscapes. Steven is just as good on his own with that, and wanted someone with more instrumental skill to play his music. By his own admission the only virtuoso in PT was Gavin Harrison who is of course a beast on the kit. For awhile with his solo records it seemed like he wanted to put what he can do on his own just fine in the hands of players more skilled than he is for once.

I say it time and again whenever this comes up, but the opportunity he seized to make solo albums is probably the best thing he could have ever done. I got into what he was doing just a couple years before Insurgentes came out but I immediately wondered if he would take that path for himself. That if playing in a band was too limiting for him, even if he wrote and arranged and sang on everything.

It's kind of funny to me that there's online drama concerning who is and isn't in his band, treating it as if it were a band. It isn't, it's just him. And as sad as I am that the line-up on Raven didn't last I understand why. He's in a phase of reducing what he might see as clutter, to get to the core of what he does. Be it musically or lyrically, the last two albums have been much more direct than where he started. The deeper he goes, the more interesting it'll be. Frankly I hope on the next record he does everything short of string arrangements and female vocalists, with the right drummer.

yeah....... https://instagram.com/p/Bf9LRTUnOxY/

Mentioned
    338 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdglss View Post
    whatever that was is gone : /

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I believe it was this, Steven's announcement that Richard will be opening up for him on two upcoming English dates of the tour.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Off to RAH in a few hours, really looking forward to tonight's show. Maybe a little too much TTB in the setlist, but should still be a cracking night....!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Steven hinted at a PT song or two with Barbieri at the last RAH show. Hope their performance is on the Blu-ray.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    What an excellent night. Consummate performer and entertainer (oh no, sorry, he's an artist, not an entertainer...!), the set was very good, with a good dose of PT in there. Sleep Together rocked! He also debuted Song of Unborn tonight, one of my top 3 from the TTB album. Very happy, despite his many attempts to make us miserable...

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Steven hinted at a PT song or two with Barbieri at the last RAH show. Hope their performance is on the Blu-ray.
    They did "Buying New Soul" together at the end of RB's set.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Mentioned
    338 Post(s)
    totally forgot he was playing here tonight until i walked by The Vic and saw "TONIGHT AT THE VIC - STEVEN WILSON" and i'm even more sad than i would have been otherwise : /

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Oh wow, that may be the best interview with Steven I have read. Thanks!