Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I remastered the NIN Woodstock '94 set from the highest quality sources I could find.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    thank you

kp

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    thank you man! this is awesome!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow thank you so much for this, I've watched so many difference sources and "remasters" of this concert (as it is an absolute classic) but none have ever come even slightly close to what you have achieved video wise or sound. Excellent work, the NIN community is truly grateful for the amount of work that must have gone into this. Cheers!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    yes, thank's a lot! great result! already/again a classic.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Just another thank you from here, it turned out great!

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Thank you very much. I've worn out many VHS copies of that performance, and what is funny about this, is I just watched it again last night!

I had just got home from Made In America fest and was feeling really nostalgic for the "good ol days". Looks like I'll be watching it again tonite!

Now can you work on the Salt N Pepa set that followed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds fucking excellent. Thanks so much!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Doing a side-by-side with the previous file I had. Holy shit, sir. Excellent work, and THANK YOU.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Going through my DVD archive, I have two different versions.

This one came from Demonoid and has a glitch after "Down In It" that omits most of TR's speech about Woodstock being cool and saying fuck on PPV:

This baby came from the Mindwarp Pavillion and is a DL disc that is the complete recording.

I'm curious if either of these discs were the source for this new version as I noticed a small visual edit during TR's speech about saying fuck on PPV.

Anyhow, it sounds so much better than my favorite release (the 2cd Joker version) so I thank you!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I have the latter, though only as an SL disc. Video is quite good on that one, though, and like you said, it's complete. Including the pre-Pinion introduction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Many thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    Going through my DVD archive, I have two different versions.

This one came from Demonoid and has a glitch after "Down In It" that omits most of TR's speech about Woodstock being cool and saying fuck on PPV:

This baby came from the Mindwarp Pavillion and is a DL disc that is the complete recording.

I'm curious if either of these discs were the source for this new version as I noticed a small visual edit during TR's speech about saying fuck on PPV.

Anyhow, it sounds so much better than my favorite release (the 2cd Joker version) so I thank you!
    I had the 2nd of these at some point. Great quality.. but in the end, the source I got was 720x480, which is slightly higher than broadcast, so it's the best it can be, I'm sure these are just as good. That might have had the little pre banter a little bit better, but Im still happy with how it turned out My issue was just that video of this caliber wasn't widely circulated, and I saw no reason for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    thanks so much for this. the version i had was practically unwatchable. the work you've done on this is amazing! i've tried to remaster the dallas show in 90 with no such luck. after watching this, i think i might give it another shot. thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Unbelievable job. I'm burning this tonight and listening on the way to work tomorrow. Thank you!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thank you so much for this! Sounds really great!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Props and Kudos and much love to OP. This is one of the gems of my (currently being rebuilt) Live collection.
    We all know how stellar this performance is!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    thanks everyone! I'm glad this wasn't a needless thing, I'm planning on doing more sets from bands that have poor quality sets circulating.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks for this!
    The Woodstock DVD you found, I've downloaded also from the same site http://www.seven1963.org/ a few years ago and was sad that there is no better audio quality available. I'm more into video and never really was so much into audo... that's the reason I never tried to remaster the audio myself.

Now, on the other side I have to remark something. When I watched the first seconds of your reworked (not overworked) version (video not audio) I thought that the quality wasn't the same like the original DVD (as far as I remembered). I watched "my" DVD and I have to say, what a pity you didn't made the same work on the video as you did with the audio!
    I think the most people are happy with your video version. As for me I'm also happy now, as I took the original video (by the way a good idea to insert the -say fuck on TV- part as the DVD version was lacking this part) and enhanced it with your audo.

For the next time, keep the resolution (720x480 instead of 640x480) don't lower the bitrate and to me, the original colours are more natural (but that's always a matter of taste).

Thanks again for your work, but I had to say this.... no offense meant!
    Last edited by ZootZap; 09-06-2013 at 04:13 AM. Reason: edit: I've got a hint as I'm not native speaker and forgot to look up the dictionary: I meant - reworked - not overworked!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZootZap View Post
    Thanks for this!
    The Woodstock DVD you found, I've downloaded also from the same site http://www.seven1963.org/ a few years ago and was sad that there is no better audio quality available. I'm more into video and never really was so much into audo... that's the reason I never tried to remaster the audio myself.

Now, on the other side I have to remark something. When I watched the first seconds of your overworked version (video not audio) I thought that the quality wasn't the same like the original DVD (as far as I remembered). I watched "my" DVD and I have to say, what a pity you didn't made the same work on the video as you did with the audio!
    I think the most people are happy with your video version. As for me I'm also happy now, as I took the original video (by the way a good idea to insert the -say fuck on TV- part as the DVD version was lacking this part) and enhanced it with your audo.

For the next time, keep the resolution (720x480 instead of 640x480) don't lower the bitrate and to me, the original colours are more natural (but that's always a matter of taste).

Thanks again for your work, but I had to say this.... no offense meant!
    Understood, but..!

1) 720x480 isn't the correct aspect ratio for broadcast tv. It's supposed to be more square. A width of 720 is actually stretched, but that's ok, because shrinking doesn't lose anything in this specific case. Broadcast television is much closer to a 320x240 or 640x480 resolution, 720 is stretched horizontally compared to the original broadcast.

2) Yeah, the bitrate did suffer a little, but most of the artifacts you're seeing aren't just because of bitrate. Deinterlacing and noise reduction took place as well, and those create artifacts. Deinterlacing more than the denoising, sadly. I prefer a higher contrast look, but I understand you don't prefer that, and that is ok I just wanted the blacks to be absolute black instead of faded, and white to be pure white instead of muted tones. I understand that creates a little bit of a sacrifice in color and overall contrast, but in the end, I think it's the best it can be for modern equipment, at least to my eyes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I've not watched it yet, but what sort of artefacting is introduced by deinterlacing? Because it really shouldn't be that terrible.
    what did you use to deinterlace?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hard to describe. I didn't think it was that terrible though, Just pointing out what could cause artifacts. Deinterlacing while maintaining the 480 vertical resolution is tough.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    If you can be bothered or ever wanna go again or whatever, check out JES. http://jeschot.home.xs4all.nl/home.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Awesome... I can't wait to give this a whirl.. I remember watching this live on a hotbox at my grandparents house.. My grandfather actually sat there and watched most of it, said it was "entertaining" lol.
    if I was religious I'd say you're doing Gods work, but since I'm not, I wish I could just buy you a beer.. Thanks..

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Someone should track down the multitracks for this show and make a mix that actually sounds decent.

Other than that, great job on the remaster.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    You may think it sounds like shit, but I think that gives it the character.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Hey, sorry to bump such an old thread, but didn't someone on here say they had access to the multitracks to this performance? It could use a good remix....

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nobies View Post
    Hey, sorry to bump such an old thread, but didn't someone on here say they had access to the multitracks to this performance? It could use a good remix....
    2 posts before your recent post, you suggested someone should track them down. No one mentioned having access to them (I looked through the whole thread). Not sure if you're trolling?

Only other reference I found to multi tracks was...

Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I wish whatever "third party" it was that hung out on YouTube restricting shows like this from being completely free to watch everywhere would ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING with the rights they supposedly are exercising... like, I dunno, digging out the original HD camera tapes and multitracks to present this show in restored HD quality, befitting its historical significance.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    ....this remaster is awesome!

...audio cover art:

...video cover art:
    Last edited by Michael_Vens; 02-11-2014 at 08:55 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thank you very much!!! Downloading the FLAC files now. This performance features my all time favorite live version of 'Closer' and I can't wait to hear how you have improved it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    No idea how I missed this. Thank you very much for doing the work and sharing!