Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2024 Election Thread - The Most Important Election of Our Lifetime... Again

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

The 2024 Election Thread - The Most Important Election of Our Lifetime... Again

Opinion: President Biden should not run again in 2024 By David Ignatius

I'm voting for Biden of course, should he be the nominee, but I sadly agree with the argument presented here.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Opinion: President Biden should not run again in 2024 By David Ignatius

I'm voting for Biden of course, should he be the nominee, but I sadly agree with the argument presented here.
    A case of lesser evil. I'd feel better about it if he had Elizabeth Warren as his running mate.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post

It’s NEVER been good to change teams mid-stream. Especially when THIS team has been so successful … and they HAVE been successful.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/therecord/
    Normally, I'd agree, except his approval ratings are horrid and a majority of Americans, even Dems, think he is just too old.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Ginsburg should have retired when Obama was president, then we wouldn't be stuck with Coney.

Saying "Biden is old and senile" is ageist. Saying "I don't like the idea of an 86 year-old as POTUS" is not.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Trump Warns ‘Impaired’ Biden May Cause ‘World War II’ (nymag.com)

“We have a man who is totally corrupt and the worst president in the history of our country, who is cognitively impaired, in no condition to lead, and who is now in charge of dealing with Russia and possible nuclear war,” Trump said. “Just think of it. We would be in World War II very quickly if we’re going to be relying on this man.”

Kevin McCarthy Motion to Vacate Paper Found in Bathroom (msn.com)
    these people are in charge?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Trump 51% Biden 42%

What is there to say?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Trump 51% Biden 42%

What is there to say?
    Trump being relevant is good for getting eyeballs onto news screens.

I'm starting to wonder if (finally) this may be nothing more than that.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    actually maybe those numbers are good so no one gets complacent like in 2016.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Sorry, didn't mean to get anyone riled up there.

I can't vote in a US election, since I'm not an American, but if I was I would most certainly vote for Biden, and show up, and volunteer. Just like I do in my own country, for our progressive candidates.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    polls are stupid

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Edit:

Mary Trump addresses this beautifully:

reposting for those who don't have an account and can't click the links to see them because of the Tuesday in Charge's decisions to restrict access.

something that @TheBang might need to know is that x.com links don't resolve in the (TWEET) brackets the same way that twitter.com does.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    reposting for those who don't have an account and can't click the links to see them because of the Tuesday in Charge's decisions to restrict access.

something that @TheBang might need to know is that x.com links don't resolve in the (TWEET) brackets the same way that twitter.com does.

I appreciate this because I simply refuse to go to that website, and I'm generally cautious about links in general because they still often end up there

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Enough of blaming the media for the second rise of Trump.

If Trump is re-elected next year, it's on the voters.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Enough of blaming the media for the second rise of Trump.

If Trump is re-elected next year, it's on the voters.
    While I do think individuals ought to hold the ultimate responsibility the way the media handles him is extremely frustrating. It's a broader issue that doesn't only apply to trump but other crackpots in general like RFK Jr. Like... we really don't need to hear any more about him, and at this point reporting on him necessarily can only make him more well known and more popular. Neither of these people is entitled to so much coverage

And then they'll say something bigoted or deeply false, especially where this applies to trans people or vaccines and the media end up giving the candidate so much more of a voice. They could spend a lot of time helping people understand gender theory for instance, humanizing victims and encouraging compassion. Instead they just mostly let the candidates mouth off. At best they'll call comments transphobic, or false. But they don't really delve into the tangible consequences of what that means.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Sorry about the Twitter links :/
    It only became a problem when "you can't look at tweets unless you're a member" was implemented and you had nothing to do with that, no need to apologize.

In other news...

Trump Rant About 'Batty' Whales And Windmills Leaves Critics In Stitches
    Donald Trump’s on the warpath against his mortal enemy again, and it made a big splash on social media.

The former president raved during a campaign speech in South Carolina that “windmills” are driving whales “crazy.”

“Windmills are causing whales to die in numbers never seen before. Nobody does anything about that,” he claimed.

“They’re driving the wales, I think, a little batty,” he said.
    and of course it's not actually about the whales, but about someone telling him 'no'.
    Trump’s had a yearslong vendetta against wind turbines, ever since a lengthy and unsuccessful legal battle to stop Scottish officials from building what he called a “really ugly wind farm” in view of his Aberdeen golf resort.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    lots of misinformed rhetoric about wind farms in the red areas of the Jersey shore too. you can see lots of signs of lawns like "say no to windmills" and tied to local politicians running on that rhetoric. it's sad and pathetic.

they're all like "save the whales!" yet dine at their local seafood places.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    It only became a problem when "you can't look at tweets unless you're a member" was implemented and you had nothing to do with that, no need to apologize.

In other news...

Trump Rant About 'Batty' Whales And Windmills Leaves Critics In Stitches

and of course it's not actually about the whales, but about someone telling him 'no'.

Somewhere in that video, a meme involving the sorely missed Fail Whale is hiding.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Climate change is fake, but windmills causing whales to go crazy? Now THAT'S real!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Supreme Court rejects Trump's candidacy (msn.com)
    On Monday, October 2, 2023, the United States Supreme Court rejected a request to block Donald Trump’s 2024 presidential candidacy. The request, based on accusations of incitement to riot on January 6, 2021, was filed by Texas State tax consultant John Anthony Castro.

The justices denied the lawsuit, saying there was no standing to disqualify Trump’s candidacy under the third section of the 14th Amendment to the U.S.Constitution.
    well that's that then, if he didn't qualify under the 14th then no one does and it's a useless amendment at this point.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

The 2024 Election Thread - The Most Important Election of Our Lifetime... Again

Do Democrats Understand How Bad the Election Is Looking?

A Michigan poll shows Trump leading Biden 42 to 35 percent. One in Pennsylvania has Trump leading 45 to 36 percent.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    From Morning Consult:

In an aggregate of surveys from Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Nevada, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, former President Donald Trump leads President Joe Biden by 4 percentage points.
    I'm getting very worried.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Don't be, what kind of people actually answer their phone now? OLD ONES.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Trump leads in five swing-states.

Several polls over a considerable period of time point to Trump winning next year. The alarm bells should be going off. I don't get it. I really don't. He's been indicted four times, tried to overthrow the results of the last election, 1/6, etc. I really don't get it.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Trump leads in five swing-states.

Several polls over a considerable period of time point to Trump winning next year. The alarm bells should be going off. I don't get it. I really don't. He's been indicted four times, tried to overthrow the results of the last election, 1/6, etc. I really don't get it.
    Are we expecting the Israel/Palestine component of the news cycle to last the year? Because that's what's really hitting Biden in these polls.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Well, looks like 2023 elections went pretty well, other than a few that probably weren't all that close anyway.

For example, Mississippi. The governor is young enough to be there for a long time and he needs to be doing something else with his life other than making sure the state remains number one in terrible things and number 50 for good ones.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Biden sure is doing everything he can to ensure there is maximum voter apathy toward him a year from now though, isn't he? Def. not capitalizing on/galvanizing people after last night's results.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Ah yes, here we have a classic case of the establishment forgetting they need the progressives, and then inevitably the progressives will burn down all of their own causes in protest when it comes time to vote. It's an issue that has very little tangible impact on our country on the surface, but it's lasting impact will be dividing the left to end democracy.

...yay...

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Ah yes, here we have a classic case of the establishment forgetting they need the progressives, and then inevitably the progressives will burn down all of their own causes in protest when it comes time to vote. It's an issue that has very little tangible impact on our country on the surface, but it's lasting impact will be dividing the left to end democracy.
    I get what you're saying, and I agree b/c I understand the lesser of two evils pact alot of us make when we step in the voting booth. But, I also don't blame anyone who morally can't bring themselves to vote for the guy b/c of how distraught/angry/grief stricken they may be b/c of the horror that Israel is wreaking, and solely b/c our gov't directly funds it & supports it. The images & stories coming out daily are just so terrible. Some of the worst examples of human suffering you can imagine, and it's a direct result of US policy.

Now, the argument could also be made that Biden's outward full throated support is not matching the behind the scenes diplomacy taking place that, for example, has resulted in this meager supposed 4-6 hour daily break in the bombing. But to expect normal people that to follow the supposed three dimensional political chess taking place as if they were politics junkies like some of us is just not realistic. They are gonna go with what they see from Biden outwardly. And outwardly, it's really really bad & is going to result in tons of people staying home, regardless of whether it's wise or not. Hillary caused the same apathy. I fear this could be worse.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 01-05-2024 at 04:55 AM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    If 10,000 dead Palestinians a month, cutting off electricity and water and targeting hospitals is what you are willing to accept as justified, you’re a morally bankrupt piece of shit who deserves to lose, and no amount of propaganda, whataboutisms, wonky analysis or lesser of two evils arguments is going to reframe that into a positive light. As always, if it costs the Democrats anything, it will be everyone else’s fault. The lengths people are going to defend this shit is sickening. And if “well, we’ve been killing people all the time” is the best you’ve got, you may as well just say you think imperialism and genocide are acceptable to you. It’s not the compelling argument you think it is and only adds to the apathy and lack of faith. That opposing these things makes somebody a radical or an idealist is disgusting.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    to lighten the mood:
    I laughed at what the Trump impersonator on SNL called Tim Scott. "Skim Scott, because he's like skim milk, less than 2%"