Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Geopolitical Conflict News

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Right, I hear you.

But you could say the same about THIS country. Everything is questionable during war, hot or cold.

(not one inch eastward. They pull babies out of incubators and fling them on the ground. He has weapons of ass destruction)
    No, there are freedoms in the west which mean anything a western outlet says has a substantially higher degree of verifiability and therefore probable veracity. While it would be silly to take all media as gospel, it is absolutely not the same as Russia, as many imprisoned and dead Russians will attest - not to mention the people suffering in Ukraine right now, this conflict buoyed as it is by the unchallenged domestic propaganda in Russia.

Re : one inch eastward - that was a promise not to overthrow the east German Republic during the cold war. Putin is hard at work creating a "both sides bad" narrative using selective interpretations of history spread online

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Putin Fears Poisoning and Replaces All His Staff

https://www.insideedition.com/fearin...al-staff-73847

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    No, there are freedoms in the west which mean anything a western outlet says has a substantially higher degree of verifiability and therefore probable veracity. While it would be silly to take all media as gospel, it is absolutely not the same as Russia, as many imprisoned and dead Russians will attest - not to mention the people suffering in Ukraine right now, this conflict buoyed as it is by the unchallenged domestic propaganda in Russia.

Re : one inch eastward - that was a promise not to overthrow the east German Republic during the cold war. Putin is hard at work creating a "both sides bad" narrative using selective interpretations of history spread online
    My point is that it's ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to discern what's really happening during a war.

One reason for this is the so called fog of war.

Secondly, all of these countries disseminate propaganda in times like these. Is Russia the worst actor? Of Course. I'm not arguing that.
    Ukraine disseminates propaganda.
    And so does the US. As a matter.of.fact, gvmt.propaganda is 100% LEGAL in the US, as of.about 10 years ago.

And back to "not one inch eastward,' Yes, it was part of German reunification talks. You're right about that. (Sec of State Baker to Gorbachev, 19...90?)
    But it wasn't JUST about germany.
    It was also regarding the North Atlantic Alliance: aka western imperialism.

Look, I'm. GODDAMN sure not trying to justify the actions of Putin, and I've got a REALLY great solution for ending this conflict, but I'm afraid it would.be a war crime.
    And yes. We made those promises to the Soviet Union, I suppose: not Russia.

But I've been worried about this for awhile, this bear poking. I mean, hell. That's why I STARTED this thread in 2013.

The bottom line is that, again: it's hard to tell EXACTLY what's really going on during a war, or a proxy war, or a pseudo-proxy war..
    It just is.
    All countries have separate agendas, the four main players here have histories of propaganda, and propaganda and deception are part of war, period.
    Last edited by elevenism; 04-13-2022 at 02:06 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

What's that, you want more propaganda? let's go then.
    Last edited by allegate; 03-18-2022 at 10:08 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Clinton and GW Bush in Chicago, Kyiv’s sister city.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    This is awesome:

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    This is awesome:
    I had posted the original version to the "What Are You Listening to?" thread but they've since marked the video as private. It was powerful.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

edit:

Last edited by allegate; 03-21-2022 at 03:30 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    So, returning to the original title of this thread, day before yesterday, Zelensky said he was ready for peace talks with Russia, but if they fail, "it's gonna be motherfucking WW3 up in this bitch."
    (my translation might be off slightly as i'm a bit rusty with Slavic languages, but i know he said something along those lines).
    SO. i wonder: is Ukraine preparing to meet Russian demands, and this is one last ballsy statement?

That being said, i don't see Ukraine ceding a bunch of land, but it's possible.
    BUT, reading between the lines, i'm PRETTY damn sure Russia insists on making a puppet state of Ukraine.
    i DON'T see THAT happening.

And now, Japan is in the mix.
    Eerier and eerier.

This talking, self aware turkey that's been in the news for decades was apparently trying to help broker a peace deal.
    Per usual, as of today, the turkey seems to be sort of playing both sides.
    Today, the turkey warned banks not to lend to banks trading liras offshore.

Turkey jokes aside, this financial warfare is a trip. It's obviously horrifying, but it's also interesting to watch.
    Last edited by elevenism; 03-22-2022 at 06:00 PM.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Last night they were saying Belarus is looking to join Ukraine in fighting.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Belarus, you say?

Jan. 6 suspect who fled U.S. granted refugee status by Belarus

Well I hope he appreciates what he just got himself into.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    Yeah I heard some speculation in that direction on CNN XM, on the way to my doctor's appointment.

Also heard more talk of the possibility of Putin using chemical weapons, as well as speculation of a Russian missile being shot into Poland.

What will be the final straw?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    Who actually said that, it makes absolutely no sense. The Belarusian government is fully cooperative with Putin and facilitated the invasion of Ukraine. In what dimension do they suddenly turn against Russia?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Yeah that Belarus quote doesn't make any sense.

1. Lukashenko fully supports Putin, but he's a fucking coward. The truth is that Belarusian regular army is a complete joke with 0 fighting experience (unlike Russia who had Chechnya, Syria, Georgia and some other experience) and any forces that may cross the border will be annihilated in 0.0005 seconds by Ukrainians. Morale in the army is also very low and no one wants to fight against Ukrainians for no reason. Lukashenko really expected Putin to reach and capture Kiev in 4-5 days as was originally planned, and only then he would've sent troops just to make it look (to Putin) that he helped. He's not gonna do that now.

2. Belarusian people do actually fight in Ukraine, as volunteers, against Russia. These volunteers are for the most part people who fled abroad after 2020 protests to avoid prison sentences (that's hundreds of people).

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Sorry about that, I totally misread the headline. They were saying they could join the war in Ukraine WITH Russia.

My bad.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
    Who actually said that, it makes absolutely no sense. The Belarusian government is fully cooperative with Putin and facilitated the invasion of Ukraine. In what dimension do they suddenly turn against Russia?
    I think @ickyvicky likely misunderstood.

Like I said, I heard, on CNN radio, of the possibility of Belarusian attacks AGAINST Ukraine.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @fillow do you think there might be Russian dissidents fighting on the Ukrainian side? I know a LOT of people in that region have family spread out across several countries, and many people have conflicting ideologies.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    https://www.news.com.au/finance/work...e32254866262b5

Vladimir Putin, plagued by thyroid cancer rumours, is ‘constantly’ accompanied by doctors
    Chilling new clues have stoked speculation that Vladimir Putin may be suffering from thyroid cancer or Parkinson’s disease.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    So yeah... all those war crimes and other genocidal activities as the Russians were routed is fucking tragic. Russia needs a time out from the "polite" world.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I watched Andrew Callaghan (All Gas No Brakes, Channel Five) do a documentary on the People's Convoy in the US.

And what's utterly horrifying is that a LOT of these Trump people think that Putin is in the right. He's runnin' off pedos and Nazis (the Nazi bit is more than a little ironic).

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Holy shit this is like some Curb Your Enthusiasm level hilarity.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    To be fair, in a country where speaking out against the actions of the Kremlin is grounds for imprisonment, AND, the information diet is strictly controlled, well, yeah.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

It's amazing how indistinguishable the behaviour of these Russian stooges are from the GOP in the U.S.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Proud of my people here:

The Belarusian railway workers who helped thwart Russia’s attack on Kyiv

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...oteurs-russia/

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Russian army ‘lose entire battalion’ trying to cross Ukraine bridge
    The images show smoke emanating from the half-sunken bridge with destroyed armoured vehicles lying on the shores of the Siverskyi Donets river, running west to east between Russian rebels-controlled provinces of Donetsk and Luhansk in eastern Ukraine.
    anyone else hear Benny Hill music every time you read a story about the Russian Army?