Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Geopolitical Conflict News

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I have never been so ashamed to be an owner of Russian passport. Fuck Putin and fuck his crack ho Lukashenko.

You thought living 4 years under madman Trump is exhausting? Try living for 22 years with this. You people in the west have no idea how good you have it.

And don't think for a second that Russian people want this war. Putin DGAF about them, he has only his ambitions to fulfill. His time is running out while his only goal in life is to go in history like a larger-than-life historical figure like Stalin or Peter I by any means. That, and also getting insanely rich in the process.
    Last edited by fillow; 02-24-2022 at 06:30 AM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Bleak ass timeline. Take care of yourselves, especially those directly affected. Try not to doomscroll...advice I will certainly fail to heed myself.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Decent twitter follow if you're interested in updates.

https://twitter.com/angry_staffer/with_replies

We knew it wasn't going to be confined to military and governmental installations. What sure appears to be confirmation of that here

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I mean, they invaded in 2014. They've ramped up to kill more people and seize more resources and infrastructure, and activated this next phase. It's so fucking useless. The open stream of intelligence from the Russian military direct to the US, which (wisely, I think) just relayed it as-is to the public, seems to indicate that at least some members of the Russian military think this is whack too, but with Putin running the show, no one's going to push back from the inside. It's a fucking shame. My heart goes out to the Ukrainian community.
    This is a wild tangent swing so I apologize in advance!

We've been watching The Great on Hulu and from that "kind of based on a true story" retelling of history as well as my son getting big into Russian history for high school and The King's Man muddling of waters, the Russian people have been shat upon for years but have never been able to get out from under that yoke. They keep trying for sure but they put faith into someone who wants to overturn the status quo and then it somehow gets worse every time.

Seeing historical events through media is probably the worst way to see them but it's easier for me to pull from that for immediacies sake.
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I have never been so ashamed to be an owner of Russian passport. Fuck Putin and fuck his crack ho Lukashenko.

You thought living 4 years under madman Trump is exhausting? Try living for 22 years with this. You people in the west have no idea how good you have it.

And don't think for a second that Russian people want this war. Putin DGAF about them, he has only his ambitions to fulfill. His time is running out while his only goal in life is to go in history like a larger-than-life historical figure like Stalin or Peter I by any means. That, and also getting insanely rich in the process.
    The #1 life lesson everyone needs to learn is "you can't take it with you" and yet here we are.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Well there go the hopes of seeing the world sometime, i will never even see the burial ground of my grandfather and grandmother near Kiev. A smallest relief is that they didn't live to see this pathetic idiocy. World needs peace. I can't understand what are they thinking - have a spare planet, like in Hitchhiking the Galaxy? But they don't. Sad and ashamed.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    As if the bombing wasn't bad enough!

ba-dum-tish

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    My wife lives in Tallinn, Estonia, born and raised. They have Soviet Union lovers posting fliers all the time around the city that Estonia will eventually become Russian soil again. Unfortunately, this is nothing new to them.

Ironically... It is Estonia's Independence Day, today.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 02-24-2022 at 01:59 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I cant acctually believe he has done this, when I read this morning missiles were dropping in Kiev and WESTERN Ukraine my jaw hit the floor. This is an unbelievvably dangerous situation.
    I think a lot of Russia observers thought Putin was more rational than this, it makes no sense whatsoever. Ukraine is a big country of 45 million people. Imagine the refugees, Its just bonkers this is happening in Europe for first time since 1945. Its fucking huge .

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    My wife lives in Tallinn, Estonia, born and raised.
    Heeeeyyyy... any chance of getting my hands on a Kanepi flag? For, uh... historical reasons. I support industrial agriculture product... *whistles innocently*

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Heeeeyyyy... any chance of getting my hands on a Kanepi flag? For, uh... historical reasons. I support industrial agriculture product... *whistles innocently*
    Hahahahaa, this made me almost spit out my drink and I needed a good laugh today! I will see what I can do about your *cough* historical agricultural support .

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Fuck fuck fuck

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Fuck fuck fuck
    I saw this earlier and thought "Battle of Chernobyl."
    It's just an eerie ass phrase that instantly popped into my head.

GOOD GOD. I thought this was all posturing.

And Taiwan scrambled fighter jets earlier, as Chinese jets flew into their defense zone; it's not as if China never does this, but i'm afraid there could be a deeper meaning this time around.

Meanwhile, i'm sure you guys saw Trump's PRAISE of Putin's invasion of the Donbas region, and bragging about what good buddies they are.
    I know this isn't the time for politics, but FUCKSAKE. "My good buddy...who created a video presentation of a giant fucking nuke striking Florida, during MY presidency."

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    So... a Ukrainian SU-27 was shot down over Kyiv

Last edited by MrLobster; 02-24-2022 at 09:46 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Holy fuck.

This is really, really happening.

And this could seriously be the beginning of WW3.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quite frankly, I think this either ends with Putin dead, or the whole world dead. He's almost 70 and cares about no-one but himself. He will die within the next 20 years one way or another and he doesn't care if he takes everyone else with him or not.

He won't be afraid to fire nukes if he feels he's losing. Whether the combination of the Ukrainians fighting back and the sanctions make his war too expensive to win, or whether he takes the Ukraine and then moves on to another area in a few years is unclear, but he will not stop until he is dead.

The sanctions are good, anonymous taking down as much of their infrastructure is good. The Ukranians fighting back is good.

But someone needs to take him out, or he'll kill us all eventually.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Fuck imperialism.
    Fuck Putin’s invoking of blood-and-soil.
    Fuck ethnostates.

This is terrible. And no wonder Poles are worried that they’re next. Poor Ukraine; Russia to the east, Belarus to the north, Crimea to the south. I really, truly hope these sanctions make a difference, but I can’t see a reality in which Putin stands down from this without getting what he wants, or where things worryingly expand throughout the region very, very quickly. He is so clearly driven by egoistic impulses; can you imagine living in Russia under a perpetual Russian/Putin occupation? I feel so for the people of that country, too.

This is very worrying.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    And this could seriously be the beginning of WW3.
    No, it's not. Don't be silly. No one will launch nukes over Ukraine, and Putin will not do anything for which nukes would be launched. He may be a madman, but not stupid. He and his oligarchs would hold no power or assets for that matter in a nuclear wasteland.

Much worse things has been ignored by NATO during the Yugoslavian wars for example, so you don't have to worry for a possible WW3 and the world won't be destroyed. This is not a video game, this is politics. You do realize that despite all the sanctions, Russian gas (probably their most important asset on the market) is not sanctioned? It's still a "fuck you, see you tomorrow" situation.

A terrible event by all things considered, especially because they are my neighbors after all, and luckily we accept all refugees, but it's not going to be the next world war.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Sanctions, however severe, will not be enough to change this particular war criminal's mind. Putler is insane but he's not stupid. He knew sanctions were coming for what he did. He did the math and decided he's fine with it.

I think the fastest solution to this is an inside job kind of a situation. He may be okay with the isolation from the rest of the world, but his oligarch cronies eventually will be not and will resolve to change things by one way on another.
    Last edited by fillow; 02-25-2022 at 11:31 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    It’s been deleted but apparently the daughter of the Kremlin press secretary posted No to War on social media. Maybe things will come to the boil from within Russia?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    yep, and now social media (facebook) are on the brink of blocking here, for reasons quote-unquote - of violating human rights. go figure.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Germany halted approval of Nord Stream 2, and Biden is “moving ahead with sanctions on the company in charge of building Russia's Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline.”

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/02/23/p...ons/index.html

The U.S. is one of the EU’s biggest providers of liquid natural gas, so the stock market is up.

Also, fuck India.

Meanwhile, this guy needs to fall into a giant hole:

Last edited by allegro; 02-25-2022 at 12:18 PM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Finland and Sweden are being threatened now should they join NATO.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Maksim Chmerkovskiy, formerly one of the main pro dancers on Dancing With The Stars, was in Kyiv to judge a National dance competition when all of this started. (He and his brother, Valentin (Val) are both Latin ballroom champions who were born in Odessa, Ukrainian SSR.)

Maks is still there in Kyiv because he felt it was unsafe to travel to the Polish border, so he’s camped out in his hotel across from the Maidan. He’s been going to the hotel’s bomb shelter regularly and reporting the news via his IG feed, and it’s interesting and heartbreaking and terrifying.

He reported last night from a parking lot next door that the Ukrainian military was handing out thousands and thousands of military rifles to anyone who wanted them, he posted video, there were boxes with multiples of them per box, with people lining up to get rifles to defend themselves. Maks was getting a bulletproof vest.

His wife, Peta (an Australian pro dancer) is at home in the U.S. with their young son and is terrified.

I highly recommend following Maks.

A post shared by on

Last edited by allegro; 02-25-2022 at 04:03 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    The bravery of the Ukrainians, and their leader is incredibly inspiring and very heartfelt. Radio stations broadcasting how to make Molotov Cocktails, people lining up for weapon kits, and Russia not having full control of the air as of now is impressive. I hate feeling absolutely useless in a situation like this.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)