Page 27 of 41 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I've promised to give Pride and Prejudice another try.
    Oh man, our next Book Club selection should be P & P!! I would get a degree in this if I could, LOL. But seriously I have too much other stuff to read.

I have about EIGHT autobiographies and biographies on my bookshelves waiting to be read, including the Jobs book (hardcover from when it was released). I've been busy with a lot of other stuff. Ugh.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-18-2016 at 12:44 AM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    the culture of make believe by derrick jensen
    first book i have EVER read that requires hours to days of down time before i can pick it up again...and that is after a chapter or two, max.
    this books kills me.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I loved that book^^^ especially the ending.

Currently reading: Mein Kampf. Many, many uncanny connections with Trumpism. Also, it's a translation, sure, but guess which word pops up quite a bit? "Tremendous." I kid you not.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Moonchild-Aliester Crowley

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    https://esoterx.com/2013/09/18/nobod...-became-irish/

fun article...must forward to my racist relatives <3

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    I loved that book^^^ especially the ending.

Currently reading: Mein Kampf. Many, many uncanny connections with Trumpism. Also, it's a translation, sure, but guess which word pops up quite a bit? "Tremendous." I kid you not.
    Is it related to the news that it's a bestseller in Germany right now?

Germany's surprise bestseller: a critical edition of 'Mein Kampf'

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Getting near the end of Handmaid's Tale now. I don't know why I read such staggeringly depressing things, especially now, with the parallels to the actual events around us.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    just finished reading The Secret History Of Twin Peaks, which i started yesterday. been a while since i've read a book that fast, especially one so full.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    The general citizenry, which has never had any particular love for Vevoda, supported the workers during the demonstrations, but their sympathies have shifted; their city, suddenly has become hostile and unsafe territory. Even the other protestors are accepting the story, docilely falling into line, whether out of gullibility, self-interest, or simple fear. Based solely on the words of the police and the newspaper, Stenfalk and the rest of them have been indelibly marked as The Enemy.
    "That's why people like Vevoda always have the advantage, you know, Corbeau says, rubbing her nose. "Over people like us. Because we're cursed with the belief that people matter. It's much, much easier to bend the world to your will if bending the world is what matters most to you."
    Still trying to make it through S. and it's slow going. That said, it's also sped up because I stopped trying to read the 'comments' especially since they're all in different order. I'm only reading it once, not three times. I just can't find the energy to care about the meta story. It's just not interesting at all.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Getting near the end of Handmaid's Tale now. I don't know why I read such staggeringly depressing things, especially now, with the parallels to the actual events around us.
    That was written during (and influenced by) the Reagan Administration, fwiw. I read it back then, and when debit cards arrived I was kinda alarmed.

http://www.nytimes.com/books/00/09/0...od-gilead.html
    Last edited by allegro; 01-20-2017 at 11:04 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Bad Monkey- Carl Hiaasen

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Finished Ross Brawn (and Adam Parr) - Total Competition. About strategy, art of war, Ecclestone, etc. (fan of F1 here)

Started Émile Zola - L'Assommoir (1877), about alcoholism.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Finally finished 1Q84 Book 3. Not Murakami's best (*cough* Dance Dance Dance) but certainly worth the effort, Book 1 was sluggish and failed to pick up, but once I was through to Book 2 I pretty much mainlined it through to the end. A bit like Hateful Eight, in book form.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I loved the handmaid's tale. Hulu has done a mini series based on the book out in April I think?

I just finished Oryx & Crake by Margaret Atwood, book one of three, I'm starting the second book Year of the flood currently. The trilogy is in development by Darren Arnarsky or however you spell his name. HBO didn't pick it up but he claims it's still in the works. Should be percect for his style.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InsectGod View Post
    I loved the handmaid's tale. Hulu has done a mini series based on the book out in April I think?
    Yeah, in April of this year. I hope it's awesome, because I thought the movie really sucked.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Yeah, in April of this year. I hope it's awesome, because I thought the movie really sucked.

Secrets, Crimes, and Audiotape, a podcast, did a six parter on The Handmaid's Tale - another thing sitting in my queue that I haven't gotten to.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Secrets, Crimes, and Audiotape, a podcast, did a six parter on The Handmaid's Tale - another thing sitting in my queue that I haven't gotten to.
    Oh that sounds interesting!!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Finished first three books of Discworld, beautiful, should have done this much sooner. It is very much reminding me of Douglas Adams and I find it funny and sad that Pratchett managed to write 41 books. 41.

I also keep thinking if it would be possible to make good movies about this (I know there were some, but not worth mentioning - don't try to argue or I'll transform you to frog), and which director could pull this off... Nolan maybe? But there are so many things, e.g. the light being so slow, nothing could match my imagination. So, in the end, no movies needed. Topic closed. ;-)

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I've been reading a book called "Assholes: A Theory of Donald Trump."

It's like an actual examination of the Trump phenomenon from a philosophical/political science angle and it's cited and footnoted and such, but the tone is still light and funny, largely because of the terms used. It tackles tough questions like is Trump just an asshole, or is he also an asshat? How important is being a good bullshitter in today's politics?

Here is the summary:
    Make America Great Again? Donald Trump is an asshole is a fact widely agreed upon—even by his supporters, who actually like that about him. But his startling political rise makes the question of just what sort of asshole he is, and how his assholedom may help to explain his success, one not just of philosophical interest but of almost existential urgency.
    Enter the philosopher Aaron James, author of the foundational text in the burgeoning field of Asshole Studies: the bestselling
    Assholes: A Theory. In this brisk and trenchant inquiry into the phenomenon that is Donald Trump, James places the man firmly in the typology of the asshole (takes every advantage, entrenched sense of entitlement, immune to criticism); considers whether, in the Hobbesian world we seem to inhabit, he might not somehow be a force for good—i.e., the Stronger Asshole; and offers a suggestion for how the bonds of our social contract, spectacularly broken by Trump’s (and Ted Cruz’s) disdain for democratic civility, might in time be repaired.
    You will never think about Donald Trump and his Art of the Deal the same way after reading this book. And, like it or not, think about him we must.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    getting through The Dead Zone, one of the few "classic Stephen King" books I never made it through. Really liking it, and it feels... timely.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Have any of you guys read Little, Big by John Crowley?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

What are you reading?

reading Battle Chasers (comic, again)

oops just noticed the Comics Thread, sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by [parasite]; 05-10-2017 at 05:43 AM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    reading America God, which totally reminded me of jitterbug, perfume tom Robbin's probably my all time favorite author
    -Louie

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    what happened to the ETS book club one book that was it?
    -Louie

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    -Louie
    Yup that was it.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    i'm finishing Secret History of Twin Peaks.
    We just watched the show and FWWM again and therefore, i'm getting a whole hell of a lot more out of the book.
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-20-2017 at 12:22 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    -Louie
    i'm down to try it again.
    anyone who is interested, keep your eyes peeled for something to read.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    i know it's kind of trite but halfway through American gods
    -Louie

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    i know it's kind of trite but halfway through American gods
    -Louie
    Speaking of trite, i'm getting ready to read Star Wars: Bloodlines :P
    It's set between ROTJ and TFA.
    I've been reading all this postmodern stuff and it's GREAT, but i decided i'd like to read something that is just a story for a change, you know?
    I thought of reading a western or catching up on The First North Americans series by Michael and Kathleen O'Neal Gear-i've read like 20 of them.
    But then i thought "why not try a Star Wars book?"
    If it captures even a little bit of the magic of the original trilogy, TFA, and Rogue One, i will be fucking thrilled.