Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Maybe a hundred pages into Neil Gaiman's American Gods. Pretty good so far. I wonder if these brief interludes at the end of the chapters are going to connect to anything - the woman who believed in piskies, the Vikings sacrificing to Odin, etc. I'm still not entirely sure what the book will be about, which is kind of exciting, I think it makes it more fun to read.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Crazy good.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Immersing myself in a lot of feminist and Victorian lit. recently.

Jane Eyre, Mrs. Dalloway, The Awakening, Howard's End, A Room with a View etc.

Next will be texts that are less "white" . Woman Warrior, In the Time of Butterflies and the like.

Womenwomenwomenwomenwomenwomenwomen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Great book. About A Boy is awesome too.
    I'm definitely going to read that too. BUT before that, I had to jump on the bandwagon, because.. well just because

I'm reading the second book atm

I'm reading it in Hungarian, because of the complicated storylines and the names I can't even memorise in my mother language.

so the correct cover is like that:

Last edited by kitz; 06-19-2012 at 02:15 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I Can Do It - Louise L Hay
    The Power of Now - Eckhart Tolle
    The Tibetian Book of Living and Dying -Sogyal Rinpoche
    The Family - Martina Cole
    Shades of Grey - Jasper Fforde

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Enjoyable and refreshing after the turgid annoyance that was Great Apes.
    EDIT: on final analysis this book was OK, nothing more. A Philip K Dick tribute-type thing, with bits of A Clockwork Orange thrown in. Ultimately felt a little slight.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 07-05-2012 at 05:35 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I've been going on a bit of a "spiritual journey" recently with the help of books- I recently finished Herman Hesse's "Siddhartha" and now i'm heading into Carl Jung's "Man and His Symbols". (I'm taking advantage of my time between school and work to read up on the juicy stuff that's already filling my artsy head with ideas for the future of my creative endeavors!)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Eighteen chapters into the latest Anita Blake book and not one sex scene yet. Amazing!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

My Russell Hoban kick continues.
    EDIT: very so-so book, quite dull in places; a wanting to be serious medieval theological picaresque novel; feels like a sort of guilt-trip or expiation after the playful awesomeness of Riddley Walker.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 07-05-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Lolita. God is this hard to get through. I'm genuinely surprised at how much life the author gives the victim in this story. Her general decline mentally and her suffering is really screaming to me and seems very realistic. Friends made me think getting caught up in Humbert's logic, language and defenses was an inevitability at some point. ( I know too many sheep methinks, also I know people whom actually come to the conclusion that defending him is ok) LOL I have to say it's never been easier to hate a narrator from page 1. I don't think I've ever read a book where the narrator's ego was quite as large as this. I was completely taken aback by it.
    Last edited by littlemonkey613; 06-30-2012 at 04:11 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    So I'm reading Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series, currently on H.M.S. Surprise, and they're so fucking good, you guys.

So fucking good.

You should read them.

Or at least listen to them, because the audiobooks read by Patrick Tull are fuckin' stellar.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Just arrived in Berlin and reading this, seems appropriate.

EDIT: Cool set-up/world-building, disappointing story/plot.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 07-04-2012 at 08:11 AM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Couldn't finish it. Seemed like the music industry version of Slaves of New York.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I read her Look At Me a couple of years ago and thought it was awful. Astonished she's now Pulitzer material. Either there's been a vast improvement here, or...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The Fountainhead

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    I read her Look At Me a couple of years ago and thought it was awful. Astonished she's now Pulitzer material. Either there's been a vast improvement here, or...
    There hasn't been. I don't understand the Pulitzer award at all. I read two chapters, skimmed the rest and then returned it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Read Dragon Tattoo a few months ago, just started Played With Fire, and will follow it up with Hornet's Nest. Only ~70 pages in and it's already starting to get interesting, but Dragon Tattoo took me a long time to read, so I'm probably not going to be done with these two for a month yet.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Don't be hating, but I picked up Fifty Shades of Grey. Talking to a friend of mine who was 150 pages in, she was acting all "this is a offensive" and "I'd never do that". I told her I'd read so I could explain it to her.... Geeeze.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Quite frankly I am not sure what the point is to Will Self's waffle.
    But I wrote an article on one of his books (The Book of Dave, which I loved) and I feel the need to read more of them...Great Apes was a total chore, and the first 50 pages of this is no different.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 07-14-2012 at 05:51 PM.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Digging it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Started on the Magus again hopefully i won't lose this copy too.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    Started on the Magus again hopefully i won't lose this copy too.
    Oh, man, I *loved* that book when I was in high school, my mom still has a really old hardcover copy.

I guess there are unrevised (1966) rare versions out there somewhere.
    Last edited by allegro; 07-12-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I think thats what i found at the library, upon closer inspection it appears to from '65, maybe i should "lose" my copy.

Also on a whim and a 20 spot a buddy gave me for beer from earlier in the week i picked up Corey Taylors book since i got off work way early and didn't want to head home before going to my other job. About 50 pages in so far and not surprisingly he rambles a whole lot, and while no Rollins he is still pretty fucking funny.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Spellbinding...

EDIT: This book was amazing, an awesome literary experience and the kind of grand, ambitious and rewarding novel which is all too rare today. It was a little on the long side: I think it would have been improved by having 1/3 of its 975 pages cut. Littell read 200 books and this novel does a great job of historical synthesis, giving you an incredibly vivid overall picture of WWII. TBH it left me wanting more, leaving several parts of the story unresolved. I even think a sequel wouldn't be too far-fetched, but I doubt it will happen. I found this book a very brave and compelling work: it certainly taught me a lot. And it's not every day that you get to read a novel in which people apparently directly responsible for the deaths of your family members appear as characters.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 07-30-2012 at 09:25 AM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Been meaning to read that for quite some time. Tell us if it is worth the time when you're finished, will you?

Another book that is often mentioned in the same breath is Robert Merle's death is my trade.

Check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_is_my_Trade

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Reading 50/50 by Dean Karnazes right now. I like it a lot, there are a lot of interesting things that happened on his quest. Plus he gives advice about hydration, eating and training.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Awesome selections here.

I've been reading David Foster Wallace, several Batman graphic novels I have to catch up on, and this person's poetry: http://elusive-eloquence.blogspot.com/