Page 21 of 41 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i would never in a million years read any of the 50 shades books, but this article about the newest one is SLAYING me.
    "My cock concurs". Hahaha

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Currently reading The Blumhouse Book of Nightmares: Haunted City.

Very good horror anthology. Original contributions by Eli Roth, Ethan Hawke, the writers behind movies such as Sinister, The Purge, etc., and much more. The collection of writers presented is rather eclectic, but it all "comes together" nicely (so far).

EDIT: Before that was The Scarlet Gospels by Clive Barker... think I'll have to read it again as I'm not exactly sure how I felt about it.
    Last edited by Jon; 08-11-2015 at 10:59 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i bought barker's the hellbound heart at the same time i impulsively bought the scarlet gospels. this dude's INSANELY surreal way of writing is not my thing. i made the same mistake a couple years ago when i searched best-of horror lists and ended up buying (on ebay) and reading kathe koja's the cypher. almost immediately i hated the main characters. the same thing happened with the hellbound heart. i don't want to read the expensive hardback sequel.

anyway, lesson learned. i respect clive barker a lot, but i didn't even like the hellraiser movie series. i blame only myself.
    Last edited by kel; 08-18-2015 at 12:52 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The Scarlet Gospels is a fun read, to be honest. It's quick and basically the literary version of a horror popcorn movie.

I'm ploughing through the collected works of Lovecraft and I really need to finish The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub. I've been "halfway through" for the last four months. Like @Dra508 on the previous page, podcasts have destroyed my reading time.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    i bought barker's the hellbound heart at the same time i impulsively bought the scarlet gospels. this dude's INSANELY surreal way of writing is not my thing. i made the same mistake a couple years ago when i searched best-of horror lists and ended up buying (on ebay) and reading kathe koja's the cypher. almost immediately i hated the main characters. the same thing happened with the hellbound heart. i don't want to read the expensive hardback sequel.

anyway, lesson learned. i respect clive barker a lot, but i didn't even like the hellraiser movie series. i blame only myself.
    Really? Hellbound heart Is like the creepiest nastiest little book I've ever read. Was it TOO like, nasty, or u just no likey? As for me, House of Leaves still. Jesus, I've never read a book and finished it and immediately gone back to the first page until now. I've Never been so interested in what other people thought of a book.Also I swear to god this book gave me night terrors, and right before the book started talking about night terrors

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Did you guy s who like house of leaves know that poe is the author's sister? Her record haunted is intended as a companion piece. Do we have a thread about the book? I wish to discuss it. For instance Did anyone else have bizarre and frightening synchronicities between the book and her own life while reading it?

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Reading Star Wars Aftermath, it's.......interesting. So far it's just been a few random characters save for Wedge Antilles in orbit of each other around/on the same planet, I'm just starting chapter 11. Picks up pretty close to the destruction of the second Death Star/death of Vader and Palpatine and all that. There was a good interlude with Mon Mothma and her feelings over the entire conflict with the Empire so far. There have been some little nods to things specific to Star Wars Rebels that i thought were cool and plenty of other nuggets that tie the universe together.

EDIT: Finished the book, all in all i enjoyed it....but it was hard to follow at first with how sudden it was jumping around to the different character perspectives. Sometimes it would jump without me even realizing it (could be more my problem than the book's) and then I'd end up completely lost and unsure what character i was reading about. It does come together very well after a few chapters though and totally reads like you're watching a Star Wars film or arching TV season infact maybe my biggest complaint is that this WASN'T either of those as i think it would have been a lot easier to digest. Perhaps the audiobook handles things a bit better in that regard but either way reading about what the state of the galaxy is like post Return of the Jedi is pretty awesome. Getting right into how messed up things are everywhere and how people are faring. Also this book is a major win for diversity both in gender and in sexual orientation so there's that.

Good stuff, check it out!
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 09-11-2015 at 04:37 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I've always kind of thought of Greg Iles as a John Grisham imitator and not much more.

That's why i was shocked to hear multiple critics compare his new paperback Natchez Burning to FAULKNER, saying that he has crossed the bridge between popular fiction and "literature."

It's definitely REALLY fucking good though. I've read 3 of his books and don't even really remember them.

But i'm about 250 pages in, and this thing is a whole different ballgame.
    I'm thinking that this is to be his magnum opus...it's nearly 900 pages, and is the beginning of a trilogy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This

Its pretty a good, if a little rambling, account of a 30+ year heroin addiction.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    @elevenism

Have you read 'Hunt for the Skinwalker'? It was written by a biochemist that worked with/for NIDSci as part of the Sherman Ranch research team, as well as George Knapp, who I'm sure you're familiar with.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    @elevenism

Have you read 'Hunt for the Skinwalker'? It was written by a biochemist that worked with/for NIDSci as part of the Sherman Ranch research team, as well as George Knapp, who I'm sure you're familiar with.
    No, but wow, thank you. It sounds amazing.
    Did you see the Skinwalker Ranch horror movie? It was pretty damned scary.

I've met 3 or 4 american indians who, when the conversation turned to the supernatural (as it often does with me,) told me that skinwalkers were absolutely real and that they had SEEN them, and then refused to continue talking about it for fear of summoning one.

The look in these peoples' eyes convinced me that, at the very least, THEY were certainly convinced of the veracity of the skinwalker mythos.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    High brow:

Low brow:

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    i recently read "the night circus" and i found it really delightful. whimsical. lovely.
    patrick rothfuss (the name of the wind, and the wise man's fear) were another fantastic mind journey.
    recently re-read all of alice borchardt's books (which is a torment, because tragically she died before finishing the last novel of her last trilogy).
    Last edited by Lew; 10-03-2015 at 02:11 PM. Reason: complete sentences ftw

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    ​Through the Woods​ by Emily Carroll. Fuck man, so, so creepy.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Memories of Ice by Steven Erikson. I've loved the previous two Malazan books, but these books are dense and it takes me awhile to get through them. Not that I'm complaining, it's just an odd change of pace from my usual 'sit down and read 100-150 pages a day and get lost in the book' way of doing things. Memories of Ice is fantastic so far; the story is very engaging, the characters are well developed, and the world is so rich with detail, but usually I hit fifty pages and have to stop for the day.

Can anyone recommend a good semi-recent horror novel I can pick up for Halloween?

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

reading this for a book group...and not liking it much: too dry, so far
    EDIT: I really liked this book in the end, half way through it got awesome
    Last edited by aggroculture; 10-20-2015 at 01:55 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    To be fair, its not like I've read it but I've been reading passages and reviews of Morrissey's first foray into novel writing and it isn't looking good...
    Here is an example of some of the prose : “Eliza and Ezra rolled together into the one giggling snowball of full-figured copulation, screaming and shouting as they playfully bit and pulled at each other in a dangerous and clamorous rollercoaster coil of sexually violent rotation with Eliza’s breasts barrel-rolled across Ezra’s howling mouth and the pained frenzy of his bulbous salutation extenuating his excitement as it smacked its way into every muscle of Eliza’s body except for the otherwise central zone.”

And here is a review : http://www.theguardian.com/music/mus...st-of-the-lost

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    To be fair, its not like I've read it but I've been reading passages and reviews of Morrissey's first foray into novel writing and it isn't looking good...
    Here is an example of some of the prose : “Eliza and Ezra rolled together into the one giggling snowball of full-figured copulation, screaming and shouting as they playfully bit and pulled at each other in a dangerous and clamorous rollercoaster coil of sexually violent rotation with Eliza’s breasts barrel-rolled across Ezra’s howling mouth and the pained frenzy of his bulbous salutation extenuating his excitement as it smacked its way into every muscle of Eliza’s body except for the otherwise central zone.”

And here is a review : http://www.theguardian.com/music/mus...st-of-the-lost
    jesus christ, that's ONE sentence!? o.O

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    LOL
    Looks like Mozza could win one of those bad sex in literature awards.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    With that 'howling mouth' description it's like sex in an Edvard Munch painting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sc...The_Scream.jpg

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

recently finished The Accidental Highwayman by Ben Tripp (and didn't realize while i was reading it that it's "young adult" fiction because honestly those are some of the best books around these days). it was a lot of fun and i'm looking forward to the sequel!

today i started The Paper Magician by Charlie N Holmberg, which is very charming and intriguing. it's also part of a series so that makes me happy.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

I'm on the third one and I'm loving every second of it. Well, I lie, I don't like how repetitive he is about certain facts. I mean, I get it- the spice is everywhere, I'm not sure repeating it in every description is helping drive the point home. Or every time he mentions someone has blue eyes- I already know why- but it's coupled with some form of "the sign of spice addiction". In general, it makes for a really fast reading. The story is fascinating!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

starting it tomorrow. a dark, funny, heartfelt, realist take on family hospice.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Last edited by allegro; 12-06-2015 at 04:06 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    my gods. 3/4 the way through "the goldfinch" and am reeling.
    fahk.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    the orenda, by joseph boyden.
    fucking fabulous.

and the goldfinch was amazing, too.

now if only george rr martin would finish the damn novel...and rothfuss as well...i would be a happy chappy.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    DUNE!!!! oh man...one of my all time fave sets of books.
    i read a few of the ones written by, i think one of his children ? and that xfiles dude...they were house histories...
    Last edited by Lew; 01-04-2016 at 09:59 PM. Reason: didn't link to poster i was replying to