Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    You'll Be Perfect When You're Dead by Dan Harmon.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Chayefsky - Altered States

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Just finished Shovel Ready: A Spademan Novel (Adam Sternbergh) a couple days ago, really enjoyed the writing style and story.

Today i snagged Skin Game - Dresden Files. Watched the show based of these books on hulu a few years back and saw this at the library so i figured i'd give it a go as i've been craving some mystery type novels.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

enjoying it so far

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Excruciating read. Very educational, however.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Chinese classic literature is pretty great.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I want to read Journey to the West one day. Is that the abridged version?

Just finished Last Exit to Brookyln which is like a punch in the gut and now I've moved onto Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Twilight View Post
    This is the unabridged, 4 volume, 100 chapter version translated by W.J.F. Jenner. Apparently the Anthony Yu translation is supposed to be a bit better and has a lot more notes, but this is the one I happened to have.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Twilight View Post

Just finished Last Exit to Brookyln which is like a punch in the gut and now I've moved onto Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf.
    Ohhhhhhhh l love Virginia Woolf

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Gone Girl

I intended to read it before the film came out, but failed.

I'm actually thinking about what story was actually improved upon from the book to the film. Thoughts?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Gone Girl

I intended to read it before the film came out, but failed.

I'm actually thinking about what story was actually improved upon from the book to the film. Thoughts?
    just hit the big twist and i have to say that, even though i knew it was coming from seeing the movie, it still gave me goosebumps. i really like the book and flynn's style, and i seem to find myself constantly wanting to read rather than do anything else.

that said, it is such a rich story that being told in a visual medium seems more effective.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I'm currently reading a book full of essays by E.B. White. Great stuff, ugh, wow.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I've already finished Death Troopers and enjoying the prequel Red Harvest. Both are pretty consistent horror books.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Just finished "Im already dead" by Charlie Huston. It was a pretty good noir-hardboiled type of vampire detective novel. Only thing is i think i gave it back to the library only to realize i bought it in there book store and didn't check it out from them. IF i can't get it back it was only a dollar. I also picked up another of his books, "the mystic arts of erasing all signs of death." Apparently about two feuding death cleanup crews and some lackey stuck in the middle. After stumbling on this type of writing hardboiled noir? Im finding i really like the flow and style of it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    For the past month I've been doing my best to make sense of the madness that is "House of Leaves." If you've never heard of the book, these are the kind of pages I'm dealing with:

Last edited by Bachy; 11-11-2014 at 10:59 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    @Bachy : I love HoL, big fan! If you haven't, check out the album Haunted by Poe, it's his sister and ties into the novel. The logo is even on the back of the jacket.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    @Bachy : I love HoL, big fan! If you haven't, check out the album Haunted by Poe, it's his sister and ties into the novel. The logo is even on the back of the jacket.
    We'll see.

This book is already taking its toll on me, and I'm not even halfway through it.

I swear I'm starting to see things now.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    We'll see.

This book is already taking its toll on me, and I'm not even halfway through it.

I swear I'm starting to see things now.
    I actually read it while in school, and the looks I got from spinning a book around on a desk to read spiraling text was priceless. It's one of the most impacting books I've read, it's just a shame his stuff after it has been largely a letdown.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    William Gibson's new novel "The Peripheral". And it got everything and more you could hope for in an Gibson novel. Terrific.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

I've had the hardcover of NOS since it came out and still haven't gone through it, despite loving Heart-Shaped Box to bits and really liking Horns (plus 20th Century Ghosts had some of my favorite recent short stories), not to mention the Locke & Key comic series which is as brilliant as they come, so I'm finally giving it a go. Not as hooked as I've been by his other work, honestly, but I'm giving it a fair chance since it's far longer as well. I'm getting the impression that it's the kind of book that takes some time to get going, but once it does it'll really get there.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Douglas Adams stuff

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    trying to get through The Satanic Verses again. I still don't get what the controversy is all about.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Unbearable Lightness of Being

-Loving it

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Carl Hiaasen is quickly becoming a favorite. Just finished Strip Tease and I gotta say I enjoyed it as much as Sick Puppy.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Crash by JG Ballard, disturbing stuff

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Crash by JG Ballard, disturbing stuff
    that's the book cronenberg's film is based on, yeah?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    For the past month I've been doing my best to make sense of the madness that is "House of Leaves."
    I only managed to get about 2/3 of the way through it and then felt more and more like it was getting to be too much effort for the payoff. Maybe I will muster up the energy to get back at it again.

I then made the mistake of reading Heinlein's "Starship Troopers". Sure the first couple of chapters are interesting but wow the entire thing had no real weight in it for me. If you appreciate military history and fiction, like I do, there will be some of it that strikes a resonant tone but for the most part: ugh.

I've started on one of the gifts my girlfriend gave me for Christmas. Absolutely love it:

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    that's the book cronenberg's film is based on, yeah?
    I've no idea, I think so. I still can't believe High Rise was never made into a film, but I'm not really up on edgy indie films, so maybe it has been.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I treated myself to a new boxset of Lord of the Rings. It's been over 10 years since I last read them and I'm just about to enter Moria. It's interesting reading them again after the films.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient02970 View Post
    I've started on one of the gifts my girlfriend gave me for Christmas. Absolutely love it:
    I love Carl Sagan. I read Cosmos this past year and I loved it so much. It's a shame that apart from that and Contact his books are out of print (At least in the UK it seems). It's still easy enough to find them but here is an author people need to read at least once in their lives.