Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Brian Eno

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Brian Eno

Very late to the party, but I only got into Eno last year after someone compared 'small craft on a milk sea' to ghosts: and I loved it. Not as keen on the follow up but it's interesting in its own right; the instrumental disc is good.

What I like about beginning to explore eno is I feel for the first time post cure, new order, depeche mode and NIN that this is something I can get really *deep* into.

That and oblique strategies rocks

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i have a deck of oblique strategies on my mantle.

so many great records, though i'm not terribly keen on most of his 90s/00s output. a pretty flawless 70s run though, on par with bowie. another green world is probably my favorite, a mix of the vocal and the ambient styles. ambient 4: on land is likely my favorite of that series (though ambient 2 with harold budd and the two collaboration records with cluster are awesome). here come the warm jets is a major rave-up record, great energy and songwriting and good for struttin'.

this song still makes me weep like a little girl...
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 01-24-2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: weeping means poor spelling

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I have always been a fan of his production work but never paid any attention to his own music until a couple of years ago. I think it started when I bought his second album with David Byrne, which was exceptional. Then I got a copy of Before And After Science because the last time I watched High Fidelity, I noticed that the album cover appears in it like three times and that gave me this compulsive need to buy it. Then I got Small Craft On A Milk Sea when it came out and lately I've been thinking about ordering a copy of Ambient 4: On Land.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Eno is one of the smartest musicians alive. Some of my favorite work of his has been with Robert Fripp on No Pussyfooting and Evening Star. However, this collaboration beats them both.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    The journey continues. I picked up "My life in the Bush of Ghosts", having read about it in "RIp it up and Start Again". It hadn't jumped out at me as one I'd imagine I'd be very taken with: I pictured myself appreciating Eno's non-lyrical/vocal soundscapes more. However, it's bloody fantastic. I'm really blown away by this album.

Amazon (UK at least) are selling many remastered Eno albums on MP3 for good prices, ~£3 for that one for example.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    A milk sea track was playing in the background of a recent fringe episode I watched. Most of the characters were high on LSD.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Here come the Warm Jets = Best album ever!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Without Eno, I`d never have known the music of Jon Hassell which is otherworldly and certainly not for everyone, but I`m addicted to it. Eno himself, of course, is a musical giant. The stuff he`s been involved with is incredible, Roxy Music, U2, Bowie and even Coldplay (which means that Eno is still a commercial force today). Nowadays, I think that Bowie's Berlin trilogy is a bit of a copy of Eno's avantgarde albums, especially Another Green World. But on the other hand, Eno`s debut album was his version of Bowie`s glam rock... so who cares. My favorite albums of his are Another Green World (the best, IMO) and The Pearl (a hidden gem, err... pearl).

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    OK, so I can get two >£5 albums from AZ for £10. Which 2 of the following?
    • before and after science
    • taking tiger mountain (by strategy)
    • here come the warm jets
    Based on the fact that I really liked "another green world" and "my life in the bush of ghosts", like "small craft on a milk sea", enjoyed "drums between the bells" (descending order of AWESOME)Or, suggest a different one! But only 2.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    before and after science and here come the warm jets, for my pounds. TTM is a great record too, but i feel it lacks in comparison to the debut.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Ttm and ambient4/on land are the most expensive and thus i'd save the most buying them. Thanks for your input. Haven't decided yet

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    well, i highly vouch for ambient 4. but it ain't about the buxx, it's about the grooves! since you mentioned you love my life in the bush of ghosts and another green world then definitely go with before and after science as it has a little of that david byrne-esque funk sometimes, as well as some of the more hauntingly pretty vocal stuff he's done ('by this river,' linked above).

otherwise, do a preview on youtube if you can't decide. check these tracks from before and after science:
    by this river
    no one receiving
    julie wiith

here come the warm jets:
    some of them are old
    baby's on fire
    on some faraway beach
    dead finks don't talk

taking tiger mountain
    the fat lady of limbourg
    third uncle
    the great pretender
    mother whale eyeless

the unfortunate long and short of it is that ALL THREE of those albums are essential, so just spend the extra dough and get all three .

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Opted for Ttm and ambient4. The reason I've focused on price not tunes is I plan to buy them all eventually... Just not all at once.

The others are available 2nd hand for about £2-3 each from "that's entertainment" so I'll grab them in the next month. These two were a lot more. I really have to listen to some of the other stuff I've bought recently

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Perhaps not news to anyone, but UBU have put up the complete Obscure Records series: http://www.ubu.com/sound/obscure.html

Demonoid has a torrent of the same (haven't confirmed whether identical) + someone has 5 of them as FLAC rips, no clear lineage.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I'm reading "A Year With Swollen Appendices". It doesn't get great reviews (Frequent complaints about name dropping. I mean, seriously? He's working with James, Bowie and U2 in that year. He can hardly avoid it!) but I'm really enjoying it, both for his frequent asides and ponderings, but also for a bit of an inside look into how things work in the studio for big name acts.

Can't help but wonder what Eno/Reznor would be like. They were like ships passing in the night around the "Outside" Bowie album.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    New album on WARP, solo this time, ambient, "LUX"; plus new Peter Shilvers app collaboration "Scape"
    http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/creat...3/Bk5X3VCC8Tw/

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Sounds like a follow-up to "Making Space" and his other installation albums...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Lux listening party / collaborative art thing today http://brian-eno.net/lux/day-of-light/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It doesn't get as much attention as his other ambient records but Thursday Afternoon is my favorite. Serene and gorgeous - the only perfect hour in recorded music that I'm aware of. My favorite record of all time, in fact, though that's kinda cheating given its homogeneity... better to say favorite track of all time.

On the "hour-long ambient excursion tip" though, Neroli can suck it. Skip that zero and get wit' the TA hero.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    "Music for Airports" is one of my favorite Zen records. I can be in the WORST fucking mood with stress coming at me from all angles and I listen to "Music for Airports" and ahhhhhhhh it all goes away.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    So now that it's been out for a little while, does anyone have an opinion on Lux? I haven't bought it, and I was wondering if anyone thinks it's a good purchase. Also, I recently bought The Shutov Assembly based on the fact that it seemed kind of similar to Ambient 4: On Land. I'm trying to decide if I like or not. Does anyone else have that one?
    Last edited by piggy; 11-28-2012 at 08:14 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    So now that it's been out for a little while, does anyone have an opinion on Lux? I haven't bought it, and I was wondering if anyone thinks it's a good purchase. Also, I recently bought The Shutov Assembly based on the fact that it seemed kind of similar to Ambient 4: On Land. I'm trying to decide if I like or not. Does anyone else have that one?
    'Lux' actually reminded me a lot of 'Music for Airports' - just not as successful as that one. You know, a piano makes noises, sometimes they fade away, sometimes they stay. Something comes up, something goes away. However, my personal bias is that Eno's ambient career was over in 1984.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Brian Eno

So eno did a Christmas record. Sort of. http://friendsound.wordpress.com/201...ons-greetings/

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Awesome long BBC Radio 6 interview with Eno - 3 hours including musical interludes. Covers eno 2005 to present. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pscqc

4 days left to listen but if anyone cares I have it recorded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Before and After Science is really good, but it's the only one I've listened to so far. I went ahead and downloaded a bunch of his stuff because I know at some point in the near future I'll make time for it. But omg... "Spider and I" is totally unreal. It makes me feel like I'm in a parallel world or having flashbacks to my previous life or something. Just a total out-of-body, finding-God kind of experience.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I picked up BAAS At Christmas but haven't spun it yet. Sounds good

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Some of you may be interested in this splendid mix from DJ Food.

Listen and/or download https://soundcloud.com/strictly/more...-the-funky-eno

Enjoy!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpenoctem View Post
    Before and After Science is really good, but it's the only one I've listened to so far. I went ahead and downloaded a bunch of his stuff because I know at some point in the near future I'll make time for it. But omg... "Spider and I" is totally unreal. It makes me feel like I'm in a parallel world or having flashbacks to my previous life or something. Just a total out-of-body, finding-God kind of experience.
    I think you'll love Another Green World.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Turns 65 today.