Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Massive Attack

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post

I dont know what to expect musically at all. I still think their 90s material is some of he most powerful music ever writen.
    But Heligoland was one of the most boring albums ive ever heard. I did not get what they were dong at all.
    Really? I like it at least as much as 100th and Blue Lines. The only song that went too out there for me was "Flash of the Blade."

Nothing touches Protection and Mezzanine though.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Apparently Tricky is coming back with them: http://music.mxdwn.com/2015/10/06/ne...assive-attack/

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    If it means he might be performing with them on the upcoming tour, it makes these shows an absolute must-see. Holy fuckballs it's been like 5 years since I saw them here.....TOUR NORTH AMERICA DAMMIT.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    Massive Attack said today on Facebook they promise new music is going to be out by the end of the year. They also announced a tour.

I dont know what to expect musically at all. I still think their 90s material is some of he most powerful music ever writen.
    But Heligoland was one of the most boring albums ive ever heard. I did not get what they were dong at all.

Be cool if some lifeforce is injected back into he band musically. I want hem to bring back the Hip Hop beats.
    there were rumours of Burial, Thom Yorke, and The Bug and Run the Jewels working with them on new music.
    Whenever Massive Attack releases a new album once every 5 years or so its always an event, so im interested if thats the case either way.
    "Girl I Love You" played while I was shuffling music driving to work. I always loved this song and it made me wondered if they were working on new music.
    Now I see this post. Nice coincidence.

I don't think Heligoland was that bad. It had some good stuff. Atlas Air comes to mind.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Weird. I thought I remembered this forum going nuts over Heligoland back when it was released...

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Weird. I thought I remembered this forum going nuts over Heligoland back when it was released...
    MA have had a rough time meeting hype since 2001, so I suspect nothing could ever satisfy the fandom fully anymore. The hype machine goes haywire because they debut songs on tour, bootlegs collect up, the band doesn't use any of those songs, and then everyone goes lukewarm or sour when an album of unheard music comes out. Rinse and repeat.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I always bring it up, but I was pretty flat on Heligoland mostly because of that tease of Live With Me, off the best of. That track was an insane return to what I loved about Protection and Mezzanine, (I did like 100th Window, but it was colder).. then Heligoland just seemed to toy with the potential of that track.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    I don't think Heligoland was that bad. It had some good stuff. Atlas Air comes to mind.
    Atlas Air kills live:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Booked tickets for Saturday 30th January 😃

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    Apparently Tricky is coming back with them: http://music.mxdwn.com/2015/10/06/ne...assive-attack/
    I never thought this would happen, i love Tricky loads, he's ok now, but when Tricky went crazy on Crack in the late 90s he used to, in interviews ramble for ages and diss rest of Massive Attack for taking his money and not paying him royalties. He wrote a song about it on his album Angels with dirty Faces called Money Greedy.
    ... didnt know they had made up.

i always thought it was a shame he left the group. Love his career too... but its great if he's recording with them again.

I would love Mushroom to get back involved too, and Shara Nelson too, she had a beautiful voice but thats unlikely as she's had mental health problems too and was arrested and sent to prison for stalking a British DJ a few years ago.
    ....They were a dysfunctional group.
    It would be good to see Liz Fraser on this tour too. Saw her with them in 2006 she was amazing.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Heligoland was very different from 100th Window, so I would call it an advancement of their sound + ideas.
    Personally I want 101th Window, but that's just me.

Going to be teaching three MA albums in two different classes over the next couple of weeks, which should be interesting.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    I've always viewed 100th Window as like a lo-fi rerun of what was happening on Mezzanine. It's not a bad album by any means, but it definitely has the feel that Del Naja didn't have a clue how to expand on their high watermark.

Heligoland has always bored me stiff. It's like they got a bunch of random guest vocalists to come in and sleepwalk their way through some rudimentary backing tracks. That album just never catches fire or goes anywhere different. I must have listened to it 50+ times in the year after it was released, haven't bothered with it since, and can't recall one track on the entire thing save for Paradise Circus. And that's only because I'll listen to anything she sings on. It bewilders me how it took them seven years to come up with that, and leaves me unexcited for what's to come
    what about the Danny The Dog soundtrack? i LOVE everything on that. i feel like that was a perfect step forward after Mezzanine & 100th Window, and then they just kind of...abandoned all those ideas.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I'll always check out new MA material, but I will never ever forgive them for Heligoland. Mainly because we all know that the tracks that they never included on it would have made an almighty album. Hartcliffe Star, Redlight, Invade Me etc...

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I feel like I'm the only one who didn't mind Heligoland at all. It's not my favorite, but it has some songs on there I really enjoy. I just feel like it was a little all-over-the-place and missing some essential parts that, indeed, would've made for one hell of an album. But hey, that's the way it panned out. I'm still kicking myself for not seeing their last US tour, so hopefully they come back stateside before toooo long.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    I feel like I'm the only one who didn't mind Heligoland at all. It's not my favorite, but it has some songs on there I really enjoy. I just feel like it was a little all-over-the-place and missing some essential parts that, indeed, would've made for one hell of an album. But hey, that's the way it panned out. I'm still kicking myself for not seeing their last US tour, so hopefully they come back stateside before toooo long.
    I'm with you, I quite liked it. I'd like to own it on vinyl but the prices are utterly crazy.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Hunter View Post
    I'm with you, I quite liked it. I'd like to own it on vinyl but the prices are utterly crazy.
    Yeah, no shit! I like the thing well enough, but not THAT much.

Speaking of vinyl. if anyone's interested, there's a reissue of Mezzanine that came out not too long ago for about $30. Couldn't help myself! And it beats paying at least twice that for an older pressing.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I bought the vinyl and it's definitely a beautiful piece but stuff printed and pressed in the EU and UK is just stupidly expensive no matter how nice. And because so much of MA's success is tied to their UK and EU legacy, unfortunately they are unlikely to care about US distribution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Currently working on the rehearsals for this tour plus a few of the shows. Here's a few photos including set list with new song titles. Peace

http://imgur.com/a/ff7XK

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Splitting the Atom does not seem like a set closer, in my opinion. Great to see they are playing quite a few new songs! http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/massiv...-4bf393e6.html

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    I hope they release this app for the android. Has anyone heard the new material and do they have All I want on there by any chance?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Dead Editors
    Ritual Spirit
    Voodoo In My Blood
    Take It There

No Original versions currently available.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Looks like the new EP 'Ritual Spirit' isn't too far off...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    1) Massive Attack & Roots Manuva - Dead Editors 4:45
    2) Massive Attack & Azekel - Ritual Spirit 3:55
    3) Massive Attack & Young Fathers - Voodoo In My Blood 4:01
    4) Massive Attack & Tricky & 3D - Take It There 4:31

the new EP is definitely a step in the right direction. much better than Heligoland era.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    1) Massive Attack & Roots Manuva - Dead Editors 4:45
    2) Massive Attack & Azekel - Ritual Spirit 3:55
    3) Massive Attack & Young Fathers - Voodoo In My Blood 4:01
    4) Massive Attack & Tricky & 3D - Take It There 4:31

the new EP is definitely a step in the right direction. much better than Heligoland era.
    'Dead Editors' and 'Take It There' are truly remarkable!
    Can't wait to see them live on Wednesday!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Arrghhh is there any way to hear the songs outside of the app? If you have to put the songs together in it I have next to no patience for that kind of stuff.

New MA is always fully welcome and appreciated any day of the year, but was really hoping for a full length announcement. Hopefully the EP is just a teaser for a new full length later in the year.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Well I happened to stumble upon the EP. Apparently some Dutch music site put it up for sale by accident. A friend of mine bought it and downloaded before they took it down. I guess it didn't fully leak all over, but there are some folks who do have it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    6 years to come up with a fucking EP.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Is Dead Editors the same song which was released on Del Naja's and Yorke's UK Gold soundtrack like a year ago...?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    it's leaked now, i really enjoyed that track with tricky, it reminded me of how well they sound together, the rest is meh so far, it may be a grower.