Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Massive Attack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    just found out about the massive attack v. adam curtis performance(s) in nyc, with horace andy and liz fraser (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) in tow. i'm going on monday. (!!!!)
    That was a very cool event. I especially loved the covers they did.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I read somewhere that Tricky might be guesting on the next MA album, which would be awesome. Also I want new Massive Attack. Should be getting close to a new release right? Also did anyone see the Adam vs Massive Attack shows? If so, i am jelly, but i salute you, cause that shit sounds awesome.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    They're also one of the newly announced Glastonbury headliners...crossing fingers for new music for sure.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Knowing this band... Yeah they'll probably play two or three new tunes... none of which will end up on the actual album.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Don't know much about them except for the Mezzanine album I listened to a bunch of times a few summers ago and was very impressed with it. Great album I should have bought a while back for my collection.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I was going to see them play in Iceland, but things got in the way.
    #1 band I still haven't seen live that I want to see

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    I find MA to be incredibly overrated
    When an band has made an album like Mezannine and a song like Teardrop the word's 'incredibly overrated' do not fit.

its like calling Nine Inch Nails 'overrated', many people think Trent has not done anything truly groundbreaking of remarkable since The Fragile 15 years ago.
    But like Massive Attack he will ALWAYS have respect and a fanbase due to the quality of his 90s material.

Same could be said for With Teeth he took 5 years to release that album and it sounded like it could have been made in 5 weeks and i personally found it crushingly disappointing.
    Massive Attack are still deeply revered because Mezzannine, Blue Lines and Protection still sound heavy, sexy, druggy and fucking phenomenal years later and Unfinished Sympathy is probably the best song of that entire decade.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InnerLondon Skywave View Post
    When an band has made an album like Mezannine and a song like Teardrop the word's 'incredibly overrated' do not fit.

its like calling Nine Inch Nails 'overrated', many people think Trent has not done anything truly groundbreaking of remarkable since The Fragile 15 years ago.
    But like Massive Attack he will ALWAYS have respect and a fanbase due to the quality of his 90s material.

Same could be said for With Teeth he took 5 years to release that album and it sounded like it could have been made in 5 weeks and i personally found it crushingly disappointing.
    Massive Attack are still deeply revered because Mezzannine, Blue Lines and Protection still sound heavy, sexy, druggy and fucking phenomenal years later and Unfinished Sympathy is probably the best song of that entire decade.
    Overrated? I don't know about that one.

Mezzanine is an absolutely amazing album. They have a way of being downtempo, but still have an edge... an energy to it. The title track is one of my favorite tracks from them as well. I remember telling my girl (who didn't really know much about them at the time) that the track "Mezzanine" makes me wanna fuck. She looked at me like I was crazy. Then she went to work that day with the album in her car CD player. She came home that night and was like, "You're absolutely right." And we... uh... well, you know... to that track.
    It was pretty intense.

Massive Attack makes dark and sexy music at the same time.
    100th Window was great too. Small Time Shot Away is a great tune.
    Though I was a bit disappointed with Heligoland.

I also love their collab "I Against I" with Mos Def... that track booms!

In regards to With Teeth, I love that album and is one of my top NIN albums. I never understood the dislike towards it. For me, it feel it was a proper continuation from The Downward Spiral sound. I was 50/50 with The Fragile, slightly disappointed with it to be honest. Could have made a great single disc though. But With Teeth is in my top 3 NIN albums, sorry y'all.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    haha... yes, mezzanine is a shagging album

That cover of Bela Lugosi's Dead they did at the Adam Curtis thing makes me want to drool

Are Massive Attack overrated? Not sure... how to define "overrated" is a prickly subject. There's when you personally feel it's not as good as people say it is, which is entirely your own thing and not a universal truth, then there's when something is actually overrated in a objective sense, for example being popularly but unduly credited with pioneering something they didn't.

Given that Massive Attack only ever did the one epic barnstormer (mezzanine) and everything before or since is a bit "almost but not quite", I'd say yeah in my opinion... they have sustained the glory of the one album quite well, shall we say

But more objectively I think Mezzanine did do a few things that hadn't been done before by a pop act, and isn't being overrated when people praise it as innovative (music aside, it was the first album you could buy online & download, fact fans)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    did anyone get 3D's artbook? what's on the exclusive vinyl?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I don't look forward to a new album from these guys as much as I should, after what was scrapped on heligoland, they take far too long putting stuff out what with all the unreleased material they have. Mezzanine remains a pleasure to listen to on a regular basis though.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    The best thing that ever happened to Massive Attack was Tricky going solo.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Protection is a masterpiece. Go discover it, if you haven't yet.
    To me 100th Window is a unique album, I think it's totally spellbinding and perfect. It's like a sci fi dystopian world. It creates an aesthetic which is glacial, and melancholic, and deeply engaged with the alienations and synthetic pleasures of modern life.

I agree with Heligoland as a kind of With Teeth: a return after too long with much to prove and ultimately a big letdown.
    I wish Heligoland had been 101th Window.

Also: where the fuck are those Mike Patton collaborations? Just leak them already.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I really like 100th Window as well. To me its their most consistent album from song to song.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Yay! Massive Attack is playing in the US this fall. I've got tickets for LA. I'll get tickets for SB tomorrow. I'm passing on the festival in SF.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cynicmuse View Post
    Yay! Massive Attack is playing in the US this fall. I've got tickets for LA. I'll get tickets for SB tomorrow. I'm passing on the festival in SF.
    yeah that sucks for us here in SF, why did they pick that stupid festival???
    Atoms for peace did the same sh*t last year, it's so annoying.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Where are the US dates? I looked in their website and couldn't find them, I only saw the European ones.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Googling 'massive attack tour' gives this: http://www.songkick.com/artists/546131-massive-attack as the first hit.

Page 3, i see a few festivals in October, but nothing else.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    Where are the US dates? I looked in their website and couldn't find them, I only saw the European ones.
    They're playing LA on 10/16 at the Greek Theatre and the Santa Barbara Bowl on 10/17. They're playing the Treasure Island Festival sometime during the weekend of 10/18-10/19.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I saw Massive Attack at the Greek Theater in LA tonight.
    Setlist:
    Karmacoma
    Battlebox
    United Snakes
    Paradise Circus
    Risingson
    Psyche (Flash Treatment)
    Future Proof
    Teardrop
    Angel
    Jupiter
    Inertia Creeps
    Safe From Harm
    Splitting the Atom
    Pray for Rain
    Unfinished Sympathy

I enjoyed the performance, even if Section B was dead. We got the world premiere of Pray for Rain. I'm hoping for a repeat tomorrow night since TVOTR is opening for them. They were performing alternate versions of some of the older songs like Karmacoma.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Googling 'massive attack tour' gives this: http://www.songkick.com/artists/546131-massive-attack as the first hit.

Page 3, i see a few festivals in October, but nothing else.
    If either of us hear anything of a Vancouver date, we tell each other immediately. Deal?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I saw Massive Attack at the Greek Theater in LA tonight.

I enjoyed the performance, even if Section B was dead. We got the world premiere of Pray for Rain. I'm hoping for a repeat tomorrow night since TVOTR is opening for them. They were performing alternate versions of some of the older songs like Karmacoma.
    I was there too . Great show. Terrible crowd in general until the end. I snuck into section B for a while and C was much much worse. At least the people in B could shut the fuck up.

Pray for Rain was amazing I'm 100% sure you'll get it again. I'm so jealous you get to see TVOTR. Tell us what they play aye? And how the new songs sound.
    Last edited by littlemonkey613; 10-17-2014 at 03:58 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    TVOTR and Massive Attack were excellent at the Santa Barbara Bowl. It was my first time there and I really liked the venue. The sound was good and I enjoyed the drive up along the coast. I'll definitely go back.

The set list for Massive Attack was the same as the previous night. I enjoyed hearing Pray for Rain again live. I was down in the pit and for the most part the crowd around me was good. It must have been the first MA show for the 50ish couple sitting behind me, since there was a good five minute discussion at one point about the graphics during one of the first songs ("United Snakes" I think...) The lighting setup for this tour feature a few overhead lights that could be used to spotlight the singers, with 3x3 rectangular LED panels with more lights behind them. During that song, the panels displayed corporate logos (everything from Boeing to Dole, so it wasn't just defense contractors) that would morph into flags... said couple didn't realize that MA liked to make political statements at their shows.

The visual aspect of the MA show is quite different than what other bands do (or at least the other bands that I've seen recently). During the first song, they were so heavily back lit that all you could see was the video playing on the screens above them. For most of the show, the performers are in darkness. I like how they always tailor the headlines used "Inertia Creeps" to reference local events. Also, the panels were mounted on actuators so that they could go from vertical to horizontal, controlling the amount of light coming from the lights behind them. One of the coolest visual effects happened during "Safe From Harm", when a row of lasers on top of the panels formed a cage of light over the performers.

I'm glad that I saw them two nights in a row. Hopefully they'll do a proper tour of NA at some point in the future.

Does anyone know what's the story with "Battlebox" and "Jupiter"? "Jupiter" seems to be a mash up of the beats from "3D on Jupiter":
    with Martina Topley Bird's vocals from "Poison": .
    "Battlebox" is the beat from "Battlebox 001", but I'm not familiar enough with Martina Topley Bird's catalog to determine if it's using her lyrics.
    Last edited by cynicmuse; 10-20-2014 at 04:31 AM. Reason: automatic youtube parsing

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    free stuff from robert del naja: http://ludumdare.com/compo/2014/12/0...ludum-dare-31/

download available in FLAC too!

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    never heard of ludum dare, but I'm gladly taking this. thanks for the heads up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    3D and Thom Yorke released a soundtrack
    http://pitchfork.com/news/58613-thom...rack-for-free/

does anyone know if (how) you can download it?

Thanks

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Not coming anywhere near my neck of the woods. Still hoping they drop new record next year tho.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Massive Attack said today on Facebook they promise new music is going to be out by the end of the year. They also announced a tour.

I dont know what to expect musically at all. I still think their 90s material is some of he most powerful music ever writen.
    But Heligoland was one of the most boring albums ive ever heard. I did not get what they were dong at all.

Be cool if some lifeforce is injected back into he band musically. I want hem to bring back the Hip Hop beats.
    there were rumours of Burial, Thom Yorke, and The Bug and Run the Jewels working with them on new music.
    Whenever Massive Attack releases a new album once every 5 years or so its always an event, so im interested if thats the case either way.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    hoping this is true, the wait for new music has been too long