Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: Massive Attack

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I can do without all this voice over explanation crap. If these are the final tracks as they are presented here, I'm not impressed. Please tell me there are non-voice over versions.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm with ya. If this is it, I won't be listening again

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Is this only one YouTube and IGTV? No Spotify?
    Not feeling this one either.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    the masterpiece Massive Attack that produced tracks like Teardrop and Unfinished Sympathy and Dissolved Girl and had Madonna and Prince and Robert Plant begging to work with them split up in 1998 after Andrew Vowles left the group.
    Massive Attack 1989-1998 were the coolest band in the world, made such sexy powerful music, they were mindblowing, really stood out.

100th Window had its moments, but since then 17 years ago i realize i have only loved only 1 song by them, Paradise Circus.

the band is now just a vanity art project for Robert Del Naja..who seems to be espousing vapid Jeremy Corbyn points over dull beats, wtf, i dont think the old Massive Attack will ever return however apparently their live tours have been good recently, probably mostly for Liz Fraser.
    Last edited by Exocet; 07-13-2020 at 01:07 AM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Really liking the sound of these three songs but yes, the over-dubs don't lend themselves to continued listens although I found them quite important and food for thought. Really hope they release these on Spotify without the narration in a couple of days.

Expected a little bit more from the Algiers track though as I'm a big fan of the band.

In the end I have to agree with @Exocet , Massive Attack has indeed become a vanity project for Del Naja, but one that I thoroughly enjoy even if I'm not happy with 100% of their output. Currently I'm thinking about getting tickets for their show in Berlin next year with Björk playing the same weekend. Could turn out to be really cool, if Covid will let them pass that is...
    Last edited by dlb; 07-13-2020 at 09:20 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I guess the real problem about this EP is being called a EP. Del Naja knows how people get hyped for a new Massive Attack release, even because it's four years without new material, promoting this project as a EP wasn't a nice move at least in my opinion.

He's the artist and he does the way he chooses too, but at this point it's kinda obvious their political visions (which I guess only a minority of Massive Attack fans disagree at this point but I might be wrong) so M.A. could just dropped the videos without teasing and people/news were gonna talk about it anyway. Not saying they own me/us a damn thing tho.

And yeah at this point it's kinda obvious there's not gonna be versions without the vocals, tracks doesn't even have a name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This shit sucks.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graz View Post
    This shit sucks.
    It kind of does indeed, no sugar coating. I gave the three tracks a couple of more spins but it's definitely not enjoyable this way. So I agree with @firewlker : labeling this as an EP and knowing that fans will go crazy after every little new tune is certainly a move that doesn't sit well.

If the goal was to be uncomfortable - and the subject of these three pieces definitely is - than mission accomplished. They or Del Naja don't owe us anything, but it's dissapointing nevertheless.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I understand Del Naja and Daddy G don't even work together in the studio. They produce their songs completely seperate, also employing co-producers. That's why "Ritual Spirit" was a Del Naja release, while "The Spoils" was produced by Daddy G and his co-producer.

The new EP sounds rather Del Naja-ish, I feel.