Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

David Fincher directs, Daniel Craig (oo-er), Rooney Mara, Christopher Plummer, and Stellan Skarsgard star, that one guy and Atticus Ross do the music. Out Dec. 21, 2011, making it the perfect holiday event to take your favorite loner goth type to.

Trailer:

Websites: http://www.dragontattoo.com
    http://www.whatishiddeninsnow.com
    http://www.comesforthinthethaw.com
    http://www.mouth-taped-shut.com
    This site keeps up with the ARG stuff: http://www.mentorless.com/the-girl-w...dragon-tattoo/

Discuss here ONLY stuff related to the movie, clues to props locations, etc. Anything soundtrack-related belongs in the thread on the soundtrack.
    Last edited by razzletiger; 11-21-2011 at 07:59 PM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Another good resource for following the TGWTDT ARG is http://www.mentorless.com/the-girl-w...dragon-tattoo/. Has a collection of posts relating to the hunt, with many firsthand accounts by clue finders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ooh, nice! I'll add it to the first post.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This is pretty spoiler-heavy if you haven't read the book or seen the Swedish adaptation, but for all you film nerds out there who have, Fincher's longtime sound designer Ren Klyce talks about his job in detail here:

http://www.postmagazine.com/Press-Ce...h-the-Dra.aspx

Also, there's another lengthy piece on the editing:

http://www.postmagazine.com/Publicat...on-Tattoo.aspx

I wonder when the reviews will start to roll in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I watched the 8 minute trailer the other day, and I'm super excited for this. I've loved the books since they came out, and then also the Swedish films, which I thought definitely did justice to the books, especially with Lisbeth. I hope Rooney Mara is fierce enough.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I'm currently reading the book, and I must say, I may be in the minority here, but I think that the book is incredibly boring. I've seen the Swedish Trilogy, and loved the movies, but I just cannot get into the book. Although, I'm definitely super excited about Fincher's remake. Normally I don't care about American remakes, but with Fincher being my favorite director and TR&AR involved, I can't not be excited. Had they not been involved with the project, though, I most likely wouldn't care about it and would just stick with the swedish trilogy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    I'm currently reading the book, and I must say, I may be in the minority here, but I think that the book is incredibly boring. I've seen the Swedish Trilogy, and loved the movies, but I just cannot get into the book.
    How far are you into it? it took me about a third of the way through for things to start getting really good.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [Shep] View Post
    How far are you into it? it took me about a third of the way through for things to start getting really good.
    About 25% through it. Mikael just moved onto Hedestad. I feel like the film had FAR more Lisbeth by this point than the book. It feels like there's only been 2 chapters so far about her.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    it'll grow on you. first third is really kinda boring with all that "business stuff".

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'm about half way through the third now, the second was absolutely fantastic.

The first took a while to get going, but once it does....it's amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    I'm currently reading the book, and I must say, I may be in the minority here, but I think that the book is incredibly boring. I've seen the Swedish Trilogy, and loved the movies, but I just cannot get into the book. Although, I'm definitely super excited about Fincher's remake. Normally I don't care about American remakes, but with Fincher being my favorite director and TR&AR involved, I can't not be excited. Had they not been involved with the project, though, I most likely wouldn't care about it and would just stick with the swedish trilogy.

I thought the book was pretty awesome. It just doesnt come together until you are a couple hundred pages into it.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Sony doesn't want reviews of TGWTDT to come off early...

which means that it's of course available online today.

It's not much of a review anyway. Note the date on that article, by the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I haven't read the book, but I found the original film quite dull. I don't usually like the idea of Hollywood remakes of foreign films, but I really think David Fincher could do a better job with it. I'm really excited to see what he does with it, especially since serial killer material is what he does best. I think the score is going to work wonderfully with the film.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Upon hearing about the film, I really wasn't too interested, since crime thrillers aren't my thing. However, it was in the book section at work and I kept sampling it. Finally bought a cheap copy, and trudged slowly through the first part, got triggered by old wounds come Salander's story, but there were enough hints and intrigues to keep me going back to read more. Didn't think I'd read the second, but did, loved it, and working on the third now. Salander is like a part of me in many ways, and so the movie has really become important for me to see. All this in 9 short months. I'm hooked on the trilogy.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Is there any talk about Fincher doing 2nd and 3rd movies too? I'm now 1/3 into the third book and I must say it gets much more cinematic as the story grows. Much more action and not just countless flashbacks and research, which the entire first half of the first book was.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Sony doesn't want reviews of TGWTDT to come off early...

which means that it's of course available online today.

It's not much of a review anyway. Note the date on that article, by the way.
    and he got a ban for it
    Last edited by Jon; 12-06-2011 at 12:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nin64 View Post
    That was amazing.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Is there any talk about Fincher doing 2nd and 3rd movies too? I'm now 1/3 into the third book and I must say it gets much more cinematic as the story grows. Much more action and not just countless flashbacks and research, which the entire first half of the first book was.
    I figured he wouldn't sign on to do one unless he could do all three, but I don't have any proof of that whatsoever.

I've been excited for this since I found out Fincher was attached, and then even moreso when the Reznor/Ross combo was added. I haven't read any of the books, and I've heard mixed reviews on them. I don't normally listen to reviews, though, so I'll read them I'm sure, and then watch the Swedish films. With the trailer and TV spots, as well as the MTS business, I've become really excited for this. I've been following MTS since a little before the clues started popping up and have really been hoping for a Detroit drop. I was sure the Hard Copy video would have a clue for another drop today, but since it hasn't been found yet, I doubt there is any. It was a nice little treat to see Eric Lange in the video.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The ordeal is a bit of a bummer, but on the other hand - GTD is getting an exuberant amount of press over this ordeal. Given the movie's status, I'd also assume that website reviewers won't be shy in hiding their opinions about the film even thoughThe New Yorker 'got to it first'. It's going to be an Oscar contender in some form or another (hopefully), and I don't think even Armond White would miss a chance to shit his thoughts all over the movie. However, I am in no way defending David Denby's deplorable decision to print his article early - even if it was favorable. A signed promise is a signed promise in Hollywood - and if you break that... you're up shit creak and could potentially put a lot of other people in the same fantastically smelly situation.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Woo Screenings!

Quote Originally Posted by MouthTapedShut
    Join us for an exclusive screening event next week at the following locations:

• Austin, TX 12/12 at 10PM
    • Chicago, IL 12/12 at 10PM
    • Los Angeles, CA 12/12 at 10PM
    • New York, NY 12/12 at 10PM
    • San Francisco, CA 12/12 at 10PM
    • Toronto, CAD 12/12 at 10PM
    • London, UK 12/12 at 11:59PM
    • Stockholm, SE 12/15 at 11:59PM

For up to the minute details on how to get tickets, follow us.
    Information on how to get tickets for US and UK locations will be tweeted on Saturday, 12/10.
    Information on how to get tickets for Stockholm will be tweeted on Monday, 12/11.
    You must be over 17 to attend a screening.
    Alas for Florida...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Wow, early screenings. If I end up getting tickets for NYC, that could make up me missing the HARD x MOUTHTAPEDSHUT event, which I RSVP'd for but don't think I'll be able to make. Honestly, at this point I could wait for the movie, and kind of want to, but being among the first to see it (and hopefully getting some free swag) is still super appealing.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Do I go to it and risk missing my appointment at the Job Centre?

Yes, yes I will.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Just scored passes to the Toronto screening on Monday.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentofChaos View Post
    I think I was first to grab ones for London, the pile looked untouched!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Good for you guys! Looks like we'll be getting fan reviews before a lot of the official critics' stuff is published. My assumption was that this would be another internet contest like the 8-minute previews. It's cooler, and probably more fair, that you have to pick them up in person - which in my case, means I won't be driving an hour+ into NYC to be disappointed. I really fucking want some merch/swag from this movie, though, dammit.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentofChaos View Post
    So did I! Looked like there were lots left, Toronto peeps. Get up there!