Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41
Results 1,201 to 1,228 of 1228

Thread: How fucked was your day?

  1. #1201
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    6,586
    Mentioned
    323 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    you realize you are basically UNdoing something nice that I said, right? That, you know, a lot of people buy large as a default and the large hoodie likely wasn't meant to be a commentary on @Boots ' size?
    i was just giving you a little anecdote as that issue relates to me. sorry!

  2. #1202
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Part of Texas Where Motherfuckers Actually Wear Cowboy Hats and Whatnot
    Posts
    4,788
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i was just giving you a little anecdote as that issue relates to me. sorry!
    it's all to the good; I didn't think you meant any harm.
    @Boots , consider this: I got @thelastdisciple a couple of shirts for xmas. I know he wears Large. But I ordered XL because I wanted it to survive multiple washings without shrinking too much, NOT because I think he's fat.
    You see what I mean?
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-30-2017 at 10:00 AM.

  3. #1203
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    pacific northwest
    Posts
    1,439
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    i've been pushing my 71-year-old mom to adopt a pet. she lives alone in a huge house. she finally did last week, a 10-week-old kitten. she named her betty after my grandma. betty was okay and adjusting until tuesday when she had a seizure. by the sounds the little kitty was making, it was obviously painful. the seizures kept coming and within a few hours her little heart stopped. she died in my mom's lap.

    i doubt she'll ever adopt again. my mom can't catch a goddamn break.
    Last edited by kel; 12-30-2017 at 05:58 PM.

  4. #1204
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    dilly dilly

  5. #1205
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    A place both wonderful and strange
    Posts
    1,798
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    We came home from an NYE celebration in the small hours to find that our beloved ragdoll kitty, Percy, could no longer move his rear legs. My SO took him to an emergency vet; blood clot and saddle thrombosis.

    He would never have regained the use of his legs. He was put to sleep this afternoon; I rejoined them in time to say goodbye.

    He was almost ten years old.

  6. #1206
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    A place both wonderful and strange
    Posts
    1,798
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    i've been pushing my 71-year-old mom to adopt a pet. she lives alone in a huge house. she finally did last week, a 10-week-old kitten. she named her betty after my grandma. betty was okay and adjusting until tuesday when she had a seizure. by the sounds the little kitty was making, it was obviously painful. the seizures kept coming and within a few hours her little heart stopped. she died in my mom's lap.

    i doubt she'll ever adopt again. my mom can't catch a goddamn break.
    That is fucking horrible and I am so sorry

  7. #1207
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,502
    Mentioned
    742 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    We came home from an NYE celebration in the small hours to find that our beloved ragdoll kitty, Percy, could no longer move his rear legs. My SO took him to an emergency vet; blood clot and saddle thrombosis.
    I’m so sorry, my condolences. You did the right thing, saddle thrombosis is horribly painful.

  8. #1208
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,711
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    @kel @ Shadaloo

    I am so sorry for your losses. My condolences to you both.

  9. #1209
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Took a long lunch break to meet a friend at a local wine bar. Got there, parking was crappy so I valeted my car. While I am sitting waiting for my friend to arrive, the valet (a young kid) runs in and asks me if I have a spare key to my car.

    I told him no, then asked why I would ever need to have a spare key to my car on hand. He told me the key accidentally got locked in the car. I automatically asked him "is the car running?" to which he frowned and replied yes.

    So here I am, my key locked in my running car, while it is blocking the valet dropoff and parkinglot. It stressed me way the hell out, to the point where my lunch wasnt as enjoyable as I wanted it to be. After about an hour, they got someone to come unlock it, and promptly parked it. They comped my lunch with my friend so not all was lost.

    In retrospect, its pretty amusing, but things like that stress me out easily. Just thought I'd share a little story.

  10. #1210
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Hell's Bells
    Posts
    300
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I just ended another relationship. Moving on.

  11. #1211
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    pacific northwest
    Posts
    1,439
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    had three miserable days in the hospital. was treated for sepsis, but the diagnosis was murky. i've never been that sick in my life. you know that feeling when you're about to throw up, but desperately fighting it? i felt like that for 50 hours. i wouldn't wish this upon anyone.
    Last edited by kel; 01-31-2018 at 05:27 PM.

  12. #1212
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,562
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    It would be SUPER COOL if unhealthy friendships could come to an end without the other person acting like someone is dying/saying goodbye three times to say goodbye three times... all of that. Ugh. My heart hurts.

  13. #1213
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My darn ice cream fell on the street today. I did pick it up though. There were pebbles and dirt caked into it...so I stuck my fingers into it to remove the "contaminated" layer. My fingers got all stinky from the ice cream.. but the rest of the ice cream was ok after the dirt layer was removed. Cold Stone.

  14. #1214
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not just my day, and not just the week were fucked, but I would say my past like 3-4 weeks have been fucked. Mostly at work. Each day I come in thinking things cant get worse and they do, and each time, I am somehow surprised. Its almost like the universe decided that I had been fairing too well recently and decided it was time to crap all over me for weeks at a time. My brother says that energy comes in waves of three months at a time. So if I have three months of just terrible luck, it will be followed by three months of positive things. I really hope thats true.

  15. #1215
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    6,586
    Mentioned
    323 Post(s)


    welp, so much for our nice new utilization of our guest room. it now has a water feature.

  16. #1216
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,502
    Mentioned
    742 Post(s)
    ^ugh, we had had that a few years ago in our newly-remodeled kitchen. Lots of our neighbors did, too. One neighbor had thousands of dollars in ceiling plaster damage. Ice dams. We now use a roof rake to remove excess snow when we get a lot of snow buildup on the roof.

  17. #1217
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    6,586
    Mentioned
    323 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    ^ugh, we had had that a few years ago in our newly-remodeled kitchen. Lots of our neighbors did, too. One neighbor had thousands of dollars in ceiling plaster damage. Ice dams. We now use a roof rake to remove excess snow when we get a lot of snow buildup on the roof.
    if i could get onto the roof, i would go up there and break up the gigantic ice wall that has formed just above the windows. with the sun out, it just keeps getting worse. my property management company told me they would get someone out here but nothing has happened yet. i can't go anywhere or the water is going to end up everywhere and probably fuck up our downstairs neighbor's guest room.

  18. #1218
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,502
    Mentioned
    742 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    if i could get onto the roof, i would go up there and break up the gigantic ice wall that has formed just above the windows. with the sun out, it just keeps getting worse. my property management company told me they would get someone out here but nothing has happened yet. i can't go anywhere or the water is going to end up everywhere and probably fuck up our downstairs neighbor's guest room.
    Yeah, I hear ya, this much snow buildup on a roof really sucks. People report that taking pantyhose and putting salt in them, like the kind you put on a sidewalk, and placing them sideways across the ice on the roof helps to create paths for the ice to melt. It all comes down to inadequate attic ventilation, too much snow, etc. We had water running in around the ceiling and windows like a faucet for, like, DAYS. The guy who fixed our plaster said he did another repair job where an entire FLOOR collapsed so then we didn’t whine too much.

    My husband has been out there twice with a roof rake so far, and we are getting a new roof with new gutters, downspouts, and new insulation and attic ventilation this spring; the whole system is over 20 years old, so it’s time. Ugh.

    Edit: this guy says forget the pantyhose, just put the salt right on the damned roof: https://www.minnpost.com/minnesota-b...hose-your-roof

    Edit: do you guys have renter’s insurance? This type of thing is usually covered under insurance. In our case, the “damage” was more of a pain in the ass, and less than our deductible.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-12-2018 at 01:19 PM.

  19. #1219
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    6,586
    Mentioned
    323 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Yeah, I hear ya, this much snow buildup on a roof really sucks. People report that taking pantyhose and putting salt in them, like the kind you put on a sidewalk, and placing them sideways across the ice on the roof helps to create paths for the ice to melt. It all comes down to inadequate attic ventilation, too much snow, etc. We had water running in around the ceiling and windows like a faucet for, like, DAYS. The guy who fixed our plaster said he did another repair job where an entire FLOOR collapsed so then we didn’t whine too much.

    My husband has been out there twice with a roof rake so far, and we are getting a new roof with new gutters, downspouts, and new insulation and attic ventilation this spring; the whole system is over 20 years old, so it’s time. Ugh.

    Edit: this guy says forget the pantyhose, just put the salt right on the damned roof: https://www.minnpost.com/minnesota-b...hose-your-roof

    Edit: do you guys have renter’s insurance? This type of thing is usually covered under insurance. In our case, the “damage” was more of a pain in the ass, and less than our deductible.
    we do have renters insurance. my main concern is that i actually have to work on wednesday so that if they don't come tomorrow, it's going to cause damage to more than just the windowframes. it keeps getting worse and i keep having to empty the containers more often. i feel completely stuck here and i don't do well on days when i'm stuck at home by myself, so on top of feeling low, the leaking is making me super panicky.

  20. #1220
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,502
    Mentioned
    742 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    we do have renters insurance. my main concern is that i actually have to work on wednesday so that if they don't come tomorrow, it's going to cause damage to more than just the windowframes. it keeps getting worse and i keep having to empty the containers more often. i feel completely stuck here and i don't do well on days when i'm stuck at home by myself, so on top of feeling low, the leaking is making me super panicky.
    I hear ya; for what it's worth, as awful as the whole thing is, panic and anxiety aside, there's not a whole hell of a lot you can do at this point other than collect the water; once the ice is there, breaking it up just damages the roof. What you CAN do is just put something like a tarp on the floor to protect the hardwood (although that's probably more your LANDLORD's problem than YOURS) and then put every crappy towel you own (and maybe even every good towel) on that tarp to collect water. Forget worrying about your neighbors below, they probably already have water and if they don't, they will, it's inevitable. You can't fight water. The only thing you can do it try to manage it. With towels. Lots and lots of towels.

    During that last REALLY bad rainy season we had up here in the north shore, we had SO MUCH hydrostatic pressure against our foundation, there was water leaking in through tiny little cracks; every basement foundation has cracks, because the earth moves. When you put literally THOUSANDS of pounds of hydrostatic pressure up against a house foundation from 3 feet of rainfall in two days, well, we can't fight Mother Nature. The GRAND CANYON was created by water. I went and bought, like TWO DOZEN shitty towels on Amazon and just carefully stacked them up and let them do their job. Like, honest, THIRTY freaking towels up against water coming in through my foundation walls, and I kept putting them into the washer and spinning them out and drying them, then again and again. And I prayed to whatever Gods would listen that it wouldn't get worse. We have a friggin' PIANO downstairs ugh.

    Once it all passes, just put all the wet towels into a washing machine and you're done. But all you can do is stop the water from going farther than the window; you can't stop the water from coming in, it's just going to do what it does until all that ice melts, it just sucks. It WILL stop, eventually, so just use as many towels as you can and let towels do the job. Or blankets, or even get some of these at Home Depot if you have to. Don't worry, it'll all work out, this shit just happens when we get like SIXTEEN INCHES of snow in a short period of time.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-12-2018 at 03:15 PM.

  21. #1221
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This was on Saturday but I lost my job, I should be okay as long as I don't stay out of work for too long. I look at it as an opportunity to maybe do something different, or to expand my horizons.

    I just posted this 20 minutes ago and I got a job already its not a great job but it will cover the bills until I find something better, and will still allow me to buy the rest of those Definitive editions when they are available because I put myself on a buying freeze after Saturday.
    Last edited by Sister Midnight; 02-12-2018 at 06:57 PM.

  22. #1222
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    6,586
    Mentioned
    323 Post(s)
    someone from the property management company finally came by (a guy from the sales department, because he was the first guy i talked to on sunday night, and he felt bad that this still hadn't been handled) and basically said this should have been dealt with immediately by someone just going up on the roof and clearing the ice & snow away from the area. he also said that when they have to fix this, he doesn't see how we'd be able to be living here...so i guess we're fucking moving.

  23. #1223
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,502
    Mentioned
    742 Post(s)
    He’s right, it is much better to take preventive measures by clearing the snow before it turns to solid ice. Ice dams are very serious and should be taken very seriously. I think he’s being a tad dramatic about the unit being uninhabitable while fixing it, but whatever.

  24. #1224
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    6,586
    Mentioned
    323 Post(s)
    so...the water has mostly stopped? i almost don't know what to do with myself. they're still having someone come out tomorrow at noon to go up on the roof and check it out, but at least i won't have to stay here all day again.

  25. #1225
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    pacific northwest
    Posts
    1,439
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    my best friend of 30 years is coming home this weekend. we've been going back and forth on high school memories. i sent him a text about how crazy we were, partying, cross-dressing, getting wasted, having orgies ....

    but i sent it to MY MOM.

    ... and i called her immediately. she just laughed.

    jeez, i really love my mom.

  26. #1226
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    6,586
    Mentioned
    323 Post(s)
    1. wake up (with a terrible headache in my left eye) and go to the bathroom; the toilet won't flush. takes three attempts with a plunger.

    2. line at the post office is 8 people long, with one person working the counter. wait 20 minutes to mail a record.

    3. almost get in a car accident on the way to trader joe's because the other person is staring down at their phone.

    4. treat myself to a chai after a rough start to the day, which i manage to spill all over my coat when i slip on some ice at my parents' house while also carrying my computer backpack and my heavy bag of groceries; i fell on my hip (which got bruised) & my hand (which got cut)

    5. protools won't open on my computer and i'm there to work on music. attempt troubleshooting methods described online to no avail. two system restarts and it finally works.

    6. try to "take care of myself" to relax, and fail. headache gets way worse.

    7. get home and all the way up the stairs, and my key to the apartment door breaks off in the lock (i was not even remotely forcing it). thankfully i have a set of keys for the back entrance, since i have those groceries that need to get into the fridge.

    what the fuck is happening today? i'm really fucking glad i have therapy in 20 minutes.

  27. #1227
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    san fransisco
    Posts
    978
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    really shitty day, trying to tighten the budget so went through my iPad and iPod, which is a bitch to find in the first place, ton of quote UN-quote "games" are actually subscriptions, second some you can't cancel! bullshit! then to i get get the message " cannot enable i cloud library. god these fuckers have me pissed. first world problems i know.
    -Louie

  28. #1228
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The trolls sometimes return in new forms....GET OUT OF HERE EMPIRE!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions