Page 11 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast

Thread: How fucked was your day?

Detroit-ish Area Bacon Taste: Deliciously Maple
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    so... now that she's supposedly sobered up, what does she (or your friend) have to say about the fact that she stabbed you and threw you through a window?
    she is apologetic to the point of almost being annoying. she even went as far as to ask a friend of mine for my mom's phone number, so she could try and discern how much my clinic visit and prescriptions cost me, and delivered them to me at work today in a very nice card, along with a big-ass redbull. I understand she is mentally unwell, and i can tell she is truly remorseful for doing what she did.

but on the other hand, I GOT STABBED AND GOT MATT FOLEY'D THROUGH HER LIVING ROOM WINDOW.

she keeps asking "How can i make this better?" and every single time i respond with something to the extent of "dont let it happen again." who knows how on edge i may be when one of her multiple personalities kick in, and i may throw the bitch in my van and drop her off in the Rouge River

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

How fucked was your day?

Been without power since Christmas night due to a snow storm.

This blows.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

How fucked was your day?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fat Matt View Post
    she is apologetic to the point of almost being annoying. she even went as far as to ask a friend of mine for my mom's phone number, so she could try and discern how much my clinic visit and prescriptions cost me, and delivered them to me at work today in a very nice card, along with a big-ass redbull. I understand she is mentally unwell, and i can tell she is truly remorseful for doing what she did.

but on the other hand, I GOT STABBED AND GOT MATT FOLEY'D THROUGH HER LIVING ROOM WINDOW.

she keeps asking "How can i make this better?" and every single time i respond with something to the extent of "dont let it happen again." who knows how on edge i may be when one of her multiple personalities kick in, and i may throw the bitch in my van and drop her off in the Rouge River
    Having her arrested for assault might get her the mental help she apparently needs. Brushing it off actually isn't good. She'll just do it again. What if she hit an artery and you, or the next guy bleeds out? Red Bull aint going to be a good enough apology. Protect yourself Matt.

Detroit-ish Area Bacon Taste: Deliciously Maple
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Having her arrested for assault might get her the mental help she apparently needs. Brushing it off actually isn't good. She'll just do it again. What if she hit an artery and you, or the next guy bleeds out? Red Bull aint going to be a good enough apology. Protect yourself Matt.
    no, her apology is not enough, and quite frankly, unless she gets me some sort of surgery to get rid of the scar im going to have, no apology will suffice. She is my friend tho, and while im not going to try and ruin her life because she is a nutjob, i am going to make good and goddamn sure to fill her life with as much guilt as possible.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

How fucked was your day?

Rouge river haaaaaa ha ha.

Detroit: where the weak are killed and eaten :-)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The dog we had in our house was put down today. She was thirteen, so she was around for half my life. Still, she was suffering for the last week (could barely get up, incontinent) so I guess she's out of her misery now. My mother's pretty upset though.

Also, a woman I knew from my gay bar days topped herself last night. Strange that I'm more sad about the dog.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Been in hospital all night. Colon surgery in the morning. Dammit.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    The dog we had in our house was put down today. She was thirteen, so she was around for half my life. Still, she was suffering for the last week (could barely get up, incontinent) so I guess she's out of her misery now. My mother's pretty upset though.

Also, a woman I knew from my gay bar days topped herself last night. Strange that I'm more sad about the dog.
    Well you knew the dog longer. Still, both things sound sad

Quote Originally Posted by sentient02970 View Post
    Been in hospital all night. Colon surgery in the morning. Dammit.
    Good luck, hope it goes smoothly!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    My fucking holocaust-denying mother.

After a normal phone call to give me flight details, I get an essay of an email followed by a day of hysteria (I presume she spent the whole day doing this or this). She wants me to meet for lunch today to "discuss things". There's nothing to discuss other than she should probably get her HRT checked out. For some reason she treats me more as competition (or indeed, her boyfriend) rather than her child - always reactionary, getting upset over things implied in a (seemingly normal) conversation, and not being empathetic. It's especially weird because nobody else in my life behaves like this. I'm expecting today to be draining, and for her to do that act where she "forgets" everything in our family history so I have to remind her in explicit detail.

The thing I'm most irritated about is that I had set aside this weekend to work on a job application for one of my favourite companies, who I've been trying to work with since I left school. It's through to the second round and they've set me a task. I'm still going to try, but my brain is sort of distracted now.
    Last edited by icklekitty; 01-06-2013 at 05:05 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Cancer. Oh joy

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Cancer. Oh joy
    Oh gosh - I'm really sorry!

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

How fucked was your day?

Cancer. Oh joy
    Nooooooooo. Hang in there. Thinking good thoughts for you. xo

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Came to the ER thinking this to be a tough bout of
    Constipation turns out it was far more than that. Its out but will be awaiting test results

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Damn... Stay confident, though. Positivity works wonders.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Oh man. As was said above: stay positive, try to eat a lot of veg and get enough sleep, be with people.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

How fucked was your day?

Oh no, I hope you are okay.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that...

You must be scared out of your mind but like the others have said, try to stay positive. Stress will only make matters worst.

Sending good vibes your way! *hugs*

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Oh balls!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Cancer. Oh joy
    What a crap start to the year. Try and stay positive and strong.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I'm gonna take this as a cue to finally schedule that dreaded colonoscopy.

You're in my thoughts and prayers, sentient.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks all. In post op and good care.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The mother of my child and best friend has been diagnosed with TB. I'm not sure how prudent it is to freak out over that in 2012. She has to take antibiotics for six months, so everything is fine... right? Ugh.

Anyway, it still makes me uneasy.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    TB isn't the problem it was in- say, the Old West- where your only option was to become a gunfighter because HEY, your days are numbered anyway, right?! If a rigorous course of antibiotics does its thing then all is well.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdinsanity View Post
    The mother of my child and best friend has been diagnosed with TB. I'm not sure how prudent it is to freak out over that in 2012. She has to take antibiotics for six months, so everything is fine... right? Ugh.

Anyway, it still makes me uneasy.
    For your reading pleasure: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tuberculosis/DS00372

Talk with your physician about any precautions you should take to protect yourself.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-11-2013 at 10:46 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Feeling low and miserable again. Think I lost a friend as well from speaking my mind. 2013 not to good so far.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    So, the law firm I work at is trying to move into the 21st century. We're going paperless this year, and the boss is on a big kick for everyone to have their work email on their phone (especially the lawyers). This is especially important now, because we get referral leads by email that we are supposed to respond to as quickly as possible.

We use MS Exchange and Outlook 365, and everyone else seems really happy about the convenience. I have two problems with this. 1) This is my personal phone we're talking about. I do NOT like the idea of giving other people the ability to remote wipe my entire phone including my personal data; and 2) I'm not the kind of person who wants to be connected to my work email once I'm home for the evening or over the weekend. I have yet to receive an email in the past 3 years that couldn't wait overnight, and there's not much I can do at 8pm anyway.

So, I voice my concerns to my boss. He FLIPPED OUT on me. He was actually OFFENDED that I would be concerned about the remote wipe feature. Apparently my privacy concerns aren't valid and it shows a lack of trust and respect. The fact that I don't have my email 24/7 also apparently means that I am not "hungry" and not fully on-board with the idea of expanding the firm and working in the 21st century.

I couldn't even have a rational discussion with him, because he doesn't even consider the possibility that my position is reasonable. He accused me of being a conspiracy theorist, among other things. Apparently, thinking that a wipe could happen by accident or that someone I don't know might somehow get the access codes (our IT guy is with an outside company) and something might go wrong.

I mean, I have access to my work email on my laptop with remote desktop connection, but apparently that's not enough.

I'm stuck in a difficult position. I don't want to lose my job. I like the work I do, and I help a lot of clients. But at the same time, I don't want to be "on-call" at every minute of the day and I think my privacy concerns are legitimate, even if I don't think that my boss or our IT guy would intentionally wipe my phone.

The boss will not pay for a work phone, and since everyone else is on board (including my paralegal), I look like the unreasonable one.

I thought he was going to fire me when he pulled me in for a closed door meeting about it this afternoon. I have no clue how I'm going to make this work without getting fired or giving my employer unfettered access to my personal data on my personal phone that I pay for.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: How fucked was your day?

If you could, I'd get a separate phone strictly for work. I wouldn't be happy about that either.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

How fucked was your day?

I'm afraid that this is the way Law has been operating for quite some time. At most bigger firms, however, they PAY for the smart phone that they expect you to pay attention to 24/7.

I've been tethered 24/7 to email for years and I'm a paralegal. I've had to stamp out fires via email while on vacation and on a ski slope at 10,000 feet.

A friend of mine has the same setup that your firm is proposing and her iPhone was stolen; her employer did a remote wipe to protect sensitive data and info.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-28-2013 at 11:52 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    If you could, I'd get a separate phone strictly for work. I wouldn't be happy about that either.
    I think that's an excellent idea, and it doesn't need to be outrageously expensive. If you only need it for calls and mostly e-mail, you can go through Straight Talk and spend $45 a month for about 2G of data and unlimited calls. You can buy iPhones through WalMart, starting for $450 for an 8GB iPhone 4. Or you can buy a used GSM model (or bring your own, if you have an older phone hanging around) and add a Straight Talk SIM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: How fucked was your day?

If you can, maybe try finding an iPhone 3G. I'm sure you could find one for cheap off eBay that's unlocked. I don't think it's pricey to start a new line. Paying for two data plans would kinda suck though.