Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Nick Cave Thread

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I was going to pick the 3CD version for "Lovely creatures", too, i had no idea the 2CD set had different versions, i wanted the book that comes with the deluxe version mostly, I can't believe they are making me choose between an inferior set...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 05-30-2017 at 09:24 AM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Well, I just saw Nick and the guys for the first time in my life and I think I just had me a religious experience. Holy shit, what charisma the guy's got. And my SO's small cuteness nabbed us a setlist sheet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I see him in Pittsburgh June 8. So excited!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Saw them in Philly last night. Other than it being unbearably hot in the venue it was great, the Electric Factory sucks. I swore I'd never go there again but I couldn't pass up going to this. Saw at least 6 people get carried out of the front passed out from the heat, they didn't even have the AC on or turn on any of the fans pointing at the floor.

Setlist was really good. I wasn't sure how the new songs would go over live but they worked really well. We ended up getting an extra song in the encore cause some guy down front had been to every show and Nick let him request a song. That was pretty cool. Another band checked off the bucket list.
    Last edited by kdrcraig; 06-06-2017 at 08:34 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Saw them last night at Bournemouth, the first night of the European leg. This was my first ever show so it was very exciting. I knew they'd be good, from years of watching live videos, but come on... No huge surprises in the setlist, although I don't think I've heard of them doing Weeping Song for a while, so that was very cool. The band were all spot on, and Cave sounded really bloody good. The main surprise for me was how energetic he is. Of course we've seen him leaping around and getting up close with the audience, but seeing a full show in the flesh, and reasonably close to the stage, was way more lively than I'd expected. The almost constant off-mic shouting, the spitting, the efforts to keep the crowd involved and riled up... I don't like to judge anyone on their age, but damn he works hard and keeps fit for someone of a certain age (and Happy Birthday was sung by the audience). Of course most of the crowd were around my age, give or take (not that young), so it didn't get too rowdy, but I felt exhausted just watching Nick do his thing. Legendary.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    five nick cave shows down, including this tour. to be honest, the only time i've been disappointed is this time around. i LOVED hearing the new material from skeleton tree. it was gorgeous and well handled and cathartic. however, the experience was deeply cheapened by most of the other tracks, most notably 'stagger lee.'

i understand he has to play some of the classics, but perhaps 'stagger lee' was a poor choice to play against material about the loss of his son. really rubbed me the wrong way, even though i like the tune and have enjoyed hearing it live in the past. i would much prefer if the band did a smaller, more intimate tour and focused on the new material and similarly thematic material good son, no more shall we part, boatman's call) etc.

oh well, still love the guy.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Wow!

I was right front and center at Bournemouth. Absolutely amazing! Nick grabbed my hand and used me as support when he was leaning into the crowd at one point (he's heavy to hold with your left hand) and, of course, everyone then rushed in to touch and they ripped off my new tattoo scab, so that's all faded But at least I can blame it on Nick Cave now if anyone asks!

I went into the gig only knowing a few songs of his, a friend had a spare ticket so I tagged along. But I left absolutely in love. The guy was like a preacher up there and had everyone, including me, someone who didn't really know his music, eating out of the palm of his hands and that ain't easy!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I've really enjoyed basically everybody in the world loving Nick Cave now. The UK shows went down a storm it seems.
    I consider myself a bit of a latecomer as it was only around Abbatoir Blues that I got into his work (somehow managing to avoid him throughout the nineties, even with the Kylie collaboration) - Robin Ince wrote about Nick Cave replacing Morrissey in his affections, and the same applies to me I think. https://robinince.wordpress.com/2017...-seeds-on-ice/
    So anyway, after seeing him the first time, I'm now getting wound up about seeing him again as soon as possible. Then, at the weekend, I noticed this Instagram post: https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ8A4nHF0JL/ - I've not seen it mentioned anywhere else, but they write 'See you again next year Netherlands...' followed by #badseeds18 - So it does look like there will be further tour dates in 2018. Just hope there is a return to the UK, and all being well this will involve a smaller venue on the south coast, as per Bournemouth. I'll also be looking out for any evidence of any shows in this current run being filmed professionally. If anybody here knows anything, don't forget to post it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    I've really enjoyed basically everybody in the world loving Nick Cave now. The UK shows went down a storm it seems.
    I consider myself a bit of a latecomer as it was only around Abbatoir Blues that I got into his work (somehow managing to avoid him throughout the nineties, even with the Kylie collaboration) - Robin Ince wrote about Nick Cave replacing Morrissey in his affections, and the same applies to me I think. https://robinince.wordpress.com/2017...-seeds-on-ice/
    So anyway, after seeing him the first time, I'm now getting wound up about seeing him again as soon as possible. Then, at the weekend, I noticed this Instagram post: https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ8A4nHF0JL/ - I've not seen it mentioned anywhere else, but they write 'See you again next year Netherlands...' followed by #badseeds18 - So it does look like there will be further tour dates in 2018. Just hope there is a return to the UK, and all being well this will involve a smaller venue on the south coast, as per Bournemouth. I'll also be looking out for any evidence of any shows in this current run being filmed professionally. If anybody here knows anything, don't forget to post it.
    have you listened to / watched the live abbatoir blues tour? it's AMAZING.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    Yeah that is absolutely incredible

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    Actually I don't think I have. Cheers for the tip. Think I may have actually have the audio on my PC somewhere, but just didn't get around to listening to it. Will check it out now.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I'd love for some tour dates next year. I was pretty close to going to see him this year and I ended up passing on it. Kinda pissed off with myself now.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    I'd love for some tour dates next year. I was pretty close to going to see him this year and I ended up passing on it. Kinda pissed off with myself now.
    I hope there's more dates to come too, since he didn't come to Texas at all on this tour. But he did come here many times on the Push the Sky Away tour, so I guess I can't complain too much.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    My SO got me this graphic novel for Christmas:

What a great read. A largely fictionalized account of his life, critiqued as an author by the characters he creates and kills. The two-page "Jangling Jack" segment is morbidly hilarious.

On a serious fucking Birthday Party kick because of this now too

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    That reminds me... I've been wanting to read a biography of Nick. Does anyone know what the best one is? I was thinking of reading Bad Seed by Ian Johnston, though it is super out of date now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So random, but I started this thread a million years ago under a different name. I hadn't thought about him in a long time. I hope he tours again here (he's super nice, too.)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    So I've been feeling a bit sad that Nick's only UK show for 2018 is a festival type thing in London. I knew they were coming back through Europe this year and I was hoping for another show in the south, but big money for an outdoors thing is not my cup of tea. Seemingly to make up for this, there will be cinema screenings of a show from last year - might be worth catching, I think. Details on the website: https://www.nickcave.com/

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    New Live EP
    On the one hand - nice! On that other hand - why not a full album? Seems a bit strange. I was assuming we would see a DVD of the Distant Sky show. Oh well.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    So the above mentioned live EP came out. It's good enough, but still no sign of a full-length record or film. Shame.

Of partiucular interest at the moment is The Red Hand Files website: https://theredhandfiles.com/ - offering fans the opportunity to ask questions which Nick has been answering in the most wonderful way. Well worth taking a look at.

One great big festering neon distraction....
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    Still no sign of a full-length record or film.
    They're touring right now. Maybe when it wraps up.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    watching "distant sky" now. insanely good!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I saw it in the theatre last year. Electrifying! Next best thing to a live concert.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    No joke, New Westminster BC? That's the suburb of Vancouver I live in...and this venue, which is legit in a high school, is I shit you not a 2 minute drive from my condo. What the actual fuck YUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Nick Cave “Conversations” 2019 Tour Dates:
    05/13 – Hamburg, DE @ Friedrich-Ebert-Halle
    05/15 – Berlin, DE @ Admiralspalast
    05/16 – Dusseldorf, DE @ Tonhalle
    05/19 – Oslo, NO @ Koncerthus
    05/21 – Copenhagen, DK @ Koncertsalen
    05/24 – Luxembourg, LU @ Philharmonie
    05/26 – Amsterdam, NL @ Concertgebouw
    05/27 – Utrecht, NL @ Tivoliredenburg – Grote Zaal
    05/29 – Antwerp, BE @ De Roma
    05/31 – Stockholm, SE @ Cirkus
    06/15 – Cardiff, UK @ Wales Millennium Centre
    06/17 – Birmingham, UK @ Symphony Hall
    06/19 – London, UK @ Barbican
    06/20 – Manchester, UK @ The Bridgewater Hall
    06/22 – Edinburgh, UK @ Usher Hall Edinburgh
    06/23 – Gateshead, UK @ Sage One
    06/25 – Nottingham, UK @ Royal Concert Hall
    06/26 – Liverpool, UK @ Eventim Olympia
    06/28 – Brighton, UK @ Brighton Dome Concert Hall
    09/20 – The Lincoln Theatre, Washington, DC
    09/23 – New York, NY @ Town Hall
    09/25 – Cambridge, MA @ Sanders Theatre
    09/27 – Montreal, QC @ Eglise Du Saint-Jean-Baptiste
    09/28 – Toronto, ON @ Convocation Hall
    09/30 – Chicago, IL @ Copernicus Center
    10/01 – Minneapolis, MN @ Pantages Theatre
    10/03 – Nashville, TN @ James K. Polk Theater
    10/06 – Austin, TX @ Austin City Limits Live at The Moody Theater
    10/08 – Portland, OR @ Revolution Hall
    10/10 – New Westminster, BC @ Massey Theatre
    10/11 – Seattle, WA @ Moore Theatre
    10/13 – San Francisco, CA @ Davies Symphony Hall
    10/15 – Los Angeles, CA @ Walt Disney Concert Hall

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    i got front of the balcony tickets in seattle the next night. should be good. a bit on the spendy side but the theater is pretty small. nick is 1 of those artists i never miss if i can help it.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Montreal venue sold out within moments. Sadface.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Goddamn, the last floor seat for Seattle went before my eyes in the time between when I opened the page and reserved the seat. Thankfully I got the very last lower balcony ticket. My only time going to the Moore was for St Vincent and I had the high balcony, which is almost directly vertically up making for a pretty awkward viewing experience.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    So yeah.... new double album Ghosteen announced. And it comes out next week? Fuck yes!

Part 1
    01. The Spinning Song
    02. Bright Horses
    03. Waiting For You
    04. Night Raid
    05. Sun Forest
    06. Galleon Ship
    07. Ghosteen Speaks
    08. Levitation

Part 2
    01. Ghosteen
    02. Fireflies
    03. Hollywood

One great big festering neon distraction....
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    "This is a spinning song
    A song in which to spin."

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    That's an album cover alright.