Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Nick Cave Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Nick Cave Thread

The Bads Seeds, The Birthday Party, Grinderman, etc.

A place to discuss those bands, and his other projects.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'm probably a bigger fan of Nick Cave as an author - and consequently the thing I like most about his music is the lyrics.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I love the deranged insanity of the Boys Next Door-Birthday Party-early Bad Seeds albums myself. Love the first Grinderman album and Dig Lazarus Dig too.

Anyone seen Autoluminescent (Rowland S Howard doco) yet? It looks fantastic and passed completely under my radar.
    Last edited by xmd 5a; 12-01-2011 at 10:08 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Does anyone know why he never does proper North American tours anymore? It is always a handful of dates at most.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The last full tour he did of North America I think was in 2008; Grinderman did a pretty extensive one last fall. I'd expect another with the new Bad Seeds album which is supposed to be released sometime in 2012.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i guess what I meant was a tour that did went around middle America and not just the coasts.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Would frickin' love to see Nick Cave, in any incarnation, live. Cave & Warren Ellis are pure magic together.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i've been less stoked about the ellis/cave bromance these days, and feel like nick cave has really got to get out of his comfort zone in the near future. the soundtrack material has been fantastic, but i couldn't get into grinderman 2 or dig lazarus dig aside from a few tracks. miss you, blixa. miss you mick.

that said, been all about rowland's solo records these days. highly recommended for those unfamiliar.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Birthday Party's "Hee Haw", "Prayers on Fire" & "Junkyard" are being re-released on vinyl this month. On colored vinyl or 180g.

My original pressing of Junkyard ain't so cool anymore. Needless to say though, this is exciting!

"cha-cha-cha-cha-cha-cha-cha cha-cha-cha-cha-cha-cha-cha...
    King Ink a wake up a King Ink a get up a King Ink a wake up a King Ink
    a get up a get up a get up a get up a get up
    a what's in that room? a what's in that house?
    a what's in that room? a what's in that house?
    say something, express thyself, say something, express yourself
    express... say something loudly Aaaaaahhhh!!!!!"

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I'm probably more a fan of latter day Nick Cave than anything. I think Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus is one of the most underrated albums ever. I loved Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!, and both Grinderman albums are classic for me. Murder Ballads is choice too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    the end of Grinderman has saddened my greatly. Grinderman 2 was mindblowing - hopefully this means some more Bad Seeds stuff is coming...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    I'm probably more a fan of latter day Nick Cave than anything. I think Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus is one of the most underrated albums ever. I loved Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!, and both Grinderman albums are classic for me. Murder Ballads is choice too.
    AB/TLoO is seriously one of my favorite albums. It's so fucking good.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danebraddy View Post
    the end of Grinderman has saddened my greatly. Grinderman 2 was mindblowing - hopefully this means some more Bad Seeds stuff is coming...
    mindblowing? i liked the first album OK, but the second was kind of wanky on the typical garage riffs and chords angle. for me, grinderman sort of fell short on the promises they were delivering. a lot of people (including the band) compared them to the birthday party, but i didn't hear anything as depraved, raw, and flat out bile-inducing (all good) on any of the grinderman tracks. just kind of seemed like a badseeds record, minus the great literary references and a bunch of wink wink, nod nod goofy sexuality prowling wolf kind of stuff. i was down with the gospel-blues aspect of abbatoir/lyre, but it's been a slow decline for me since then.

i really hope that with this decision to end grinderman, nick and co. really raise the bar soon and come out with something truly great like most/all of the records that preceeded this era (not counting nocturama, blech). nothing on dig lazarus dig was awful, per se (i LOVE 'we call upon the author,' but that's about it), but there was a lot of badseeds-by-numbers stuff on there too.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I got into Nick Cave when I played Alan Wake and heard Up Jumped the Devil. I thought that it was one of the most badass songs I've ever heard and when I get some money I'm getting Tender Prey and Let Love In.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    A+ choices!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    No love for The Good Son or Let Love In? Those are my favorites.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    a little talk of let love in right above. a bona-fide classic and a mean record with lots of cave standards/classics. i've always had mixed opinions on the good son, but any track that ends in "song" is amazing. the b-sides from that records are incredible, too.

my favorite badseeds album:

Last edited by frankie teardrop; 12-12-2011 at 03:57 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    my favorite badseeds album:

+1

Also:

...with Dig Lazarus Dig a close third.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    No love for The Good Son or Let Love In? Those are my favorites.
    Let Love In and Murder Ballads are my two favorites. The Good Son was the first album I heard and I didn't like it at first. Henry's Dream might be third. Nocturama being my least favorite. No More Shall We Part, being my favorite of the three mellow ones.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    did anyone notice this in the WSJ article about TGWTDT score?

Freshly minted film composers include Daft Punk ("Tron: Legacy"), Nick Cave ("The Road"), and the Chemical Brothers ("Hanna").

correct me if i'm wrong, but Nick Cave has been doing film scores since the 90s, and has a few under his belt (Ghosts Of The Civil Dead, The Proposition, The Assassination Of Jesse James...). how does that make him "freshly minted"?

also, Let Love In, Henry's Dream, & The Firstborn Is Dead are my favourites.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm a Nick Cave fanboy. I've loved pretty much everything He's put out, Birthday Party, Bad Seeds, Grinderman, his haunting soundtrack work with Ellis, etc. The only album that I skip tracks on is Nocturama. But even that one, Bring It On and Babe I'm On Fire are classic.

My favorites are Henry's Dream, Let Love In, Tender Prey, The Boatman's Call. That Boatman's Call album cover by Autumn DeWilde is classic:

And where did you hear Grinderman is done? Link please?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    did anyone notice this in the WSJ article about TGWTDT score?

Freshly minted film composers include Daft Punk ("Tron: Legacy"), Nick Cave ("The Road"), and the Chemical Brothers ("Hanna").

correct me if i'm wrong, but Nick Cave has been doing film scores since the 90s, and has a few under his belt (Ghosts Of The Civil Dead, The Proposition, The Assassination Of Jesse James...). how does that make him "freshly minted"?
    you are correct. ghosts of the civil dead was 1988, and he's also done some scoring for his book releases (and the ass saw the angel). sounds like typical journalists who don't do their homework...

as for the above inquiry about grinderman, here's yr link:
    http://popstache.com/news/nick-cave-...erman-is-done/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I always had a soft spot for Henry's Dream - but lately 'no more shall me part' has been getting a lot of play when I'm at work... the lyrics on that album are awesome...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Coming to the realization that aside from Tupelo, I've never really listened to The Firstborn Is Dead... From Her To Eternity and Trial have only gotten a few listens too. The 90s stuff is what I listen to the most.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    The 90s stuff is what I listen to the most.
    Same but his older albums are great too. Your Funeral...My Trial is great.

Looking at this thread made me crack out The Good Son. I love that album so much. Brought me back to memories for when I first got into the Bad Seeds. It was the first album I had listened to by them as well.

The Ship Song is so beautiful. Even though there isn't any need to, I get emotional listening to it. zit provokes images, ideas and wild visuals in my head everytime I listen. One of the few songs by any artist that can conjure my feelings as much as it does.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    When I listen to Good Son, I'm all about Sorrow's Child. Great song right there. Something about Ship Song doesn't really click with me like it should. I like it, but it's far from a favorite. Catchy.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Planet of the apes View Post
    If you like '' up jumped the devil'' I would recomend ''Tender Prey'', ''The first born is dead'' and ''From her to eternity'' Those three albums are everything good about the bad seeds. I love all their albums for different reasons however those three for me are the best with the ''good son'' and ''Henry's dream'' coming in after those. I would skip on ''let love in'' untill you have the other five. jmo.

Thanks, I will check them out too.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    a few things i never mentioned in the thread before (for some reason?). we got married the same night nick was playing at the smaller madison square garden theatre in 2008. we wrote nick and his publicist to see if he'd stop by and play a song at the piano, in an old museum in coney island (above a bar that i know he frequents while in town).

anyway, he actually wrote us back and politely declined, and we got some friends to perform 'into my arms' on acoustic guitar in his stead. we took a quick honeymoon (real one in the spring) and then i caught the philly show on the dig lazarus dig tour.

anyway, what i'm REALLY here to post is info of a new album, which despite all my crankiness about ellis above, actually sounds really promising:

http://pitchfork.com/news/48724-nick...-the-sky-away/

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Most underrated live album ever...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Great news and hopefully it's steps above Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! Not to say I didn't like the album but was underwhelmed entirely.