Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Nick Cave Thread

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    SPOILER: i do wish 'god is in the house' wasn't the only song from no more shall we part that appears on the recent setlists (though i guess 'love letter' is in there sometimes). while the new record has quite a lot in common with that record, that song always felt like a cruel, stupid joke in the middle of an otherwise beautiful album. that aside, i've seen nick three times now, and he played it two out of the three shows. why does he keep returning to that one instead of say, 'hallelujah'?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I completely understand some of the setlist complaints I've read on here, but some of these staples that are boring to some of you would be amazing to see live next month.

You see, I live in a part of the world (Texas) that very rarely gets an appearance by Nick Cave. The last time he was here at all was in 2002, and back then I was a poor undergrad not quite as knowledgable about music as I am now. I'll be seeing him for the first time next month in Dallas and would glad to hear any of the old "standards" like Stagger Lee or Red Right Hand. Though hearing about Stranger Than Kindness makes me kinda giddy...

Just perspective I suppose...

Also, fwiw, here's my review of Push The Sky Away: http://ourvinyl.com/nick-cave-and-th...-the-sky-away/

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Just got it with the 7 inch vinyl . I did know there is a super special edition? Mine cost 20 dollars.

The 2nd song and last song are pretty heart wrenching to say the least.
    Last edited by Rdm; 02-20-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    SPOILER: i do wish 'god is in the house' wasn't the only song from no more shall we part that appears on the recent setlists (though i guess 'love letter' is in there sometimes). while the new record has quite a lot in common with that record, that song always felt like a cruel, stupid joke in the middle of an otherwise beautiful album. that aside, i've seen nick three times now, and he played it two out of the three shows. why does he keep returning to that one instead of say, 'hallelujah'?
    The funny thing is that even he makes fun of that song... When he played it in last night's show, he fucked it up twice and he said something like: "i did it yesterday i swear" ...gotta love the man!

SPOILER...

I also got "Love Letter", it was awesome!

/SOPILER...

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    The parents of a few of the Butcher Babies & Fred Sablan & Twiggy's fiancee & Nick Cave were all in attendance at Manson's show in Anaheim last night.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Still haven't really got Cave/Seeds. Tried Lyre/Abattoir, b-sides/rarities and murder ballads so far. Oh tried her/eternity once but didn't take. Can't remember anything about it now though. Revisited Abattoir after hearing "O Children" in Potter (not ashamed!): I now like two tracks from the double album, not a great par. Having said that, really liking what I'm hearing about this new one. Might get it by the end of the week.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i've always found murder ballads to be vastly overrated, though not lacking a few great numbers. try let love in, no more shall we part, and your funeral my trial. if those don't take, don't waste your time any further.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Nick is rebroadcasting the L.A. show from last night, it'll only be for the next 24 hours...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    One of my favorite artists of all time. The new album is really dark but beautiful, I think it is pretty much a perfect album. Just wonderful, cannot describe it in words.
    The performance is also great, nice to hear the new songs played live. Nice to also hear some different versions of the old songs. This has made my day.
    By the way, does anyone understands what is the guy from the audience shouting at 51:42? He shouts a name of a song an pisses off Nick Cave a bit, but I cant understand which one.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Can't see the video on my cell but the only time I saw him someone shouted "Play Freebird!" & he totally took the piss & brought the house down by actually playing it, lol.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Nobody's talking about the tour that's happening? I went to the Massey Hall show in Toronto on Saturday night and it was mind-blowing The Bad Seeds all have such great stage presence, and the string section was led by Owen Pallett, which was just a great treat. The stuff from the new record was incredible by the way, especially the title-track. It's really worth going to, and talking about.

Here's what I wrote about it for Antiquiet

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I saw back to back shows a little over a week ago. Went to Nashville and than Asheville. Definitely some of the best shows I have seen in a while.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    going friday- wish i could make more of the gigs... hoping for 'stranger than kindness' which i've seen on a few setlists!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    going friday- wish i could make more of the gigs... hoping for 'stranger than kindness' which i've seen on a few setlists!
    That song was FANTASTIC live. Probably my favorite of the night.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    seeing them with my mom (who is so excited it's hilarious) on monday, which happens to be april fool's day...hoping nick does something funny.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintNoir View Post
    That song was FANTASTIC live. Probably my favorite of the night.
    agh. he's playing three shows in NYC, and it seems like that song gets swapped out. odds are not in my favor for this one, so don't tell me how great it was! i've seen him three times already, so i hope i don't get stuck with 'deanna' for the third time...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Finally heard Push the Sky Away yesterday. Loved it. I was on the fence about seeing him play here in 2 weeks, but I think I was just pushed over.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    wow, that was a good show last night.

after playing four or five songs off "push the sky away" they launched right into "from her to eternity."
    other things i didn't expect to hear but was SO excited to hear:
    "jack the ripper"
    "tupelo"
    "papa won't leave you henry"
    "the mercy seat"
    "your funeral my trial"
    "love letter"

i was a little bummed there was NOTHING from abattoir blues/lyre of orpheus on the setlist.

no string section (maybe that's only at special shows?) but seeing barry in the band was awesome. he looked like he was having so much fun the whole time.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    a very similar setlist in NYC- i went to the second of the three, and arguably the best setlist of the three nights. we got all the gems you listed above, but not 'your funeral my trial' (as i've mentioned in previous posts, that one & no more shall we part are my two favorite albums). we did get to hear 'people ain't no good' as well, a highlight. nick took out his roadie with a mic stand to the eye and botched 'stagger lee' most incredibly, but it was still one of the best shows i'd seen from the band. too bad about the string section, NYC had both that as well as a harlem children's choir. sorry to hear that's not standard across the board as it really upped things a notch...

as for abattoir, they played 'o children' the first and third night which i would have loved to hear as well... sounds like they rotate the rarities and keep the staples. getting a little repetitive to hear some of the same tunes each tour but looks like they at least throw a bone or two out there. and i didn't have to hear 'god is in the house' yet again- man that song is a snoozer (and i love that record otherwise).

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    they played "people ain't no good"! i can't believe i forgot to mention it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My mom is a longtime fan so we went together for their show at The Paramount last Sunday. AMAZING. I brought a promo poster of Push the Sky Away along with me in case the opportunity presented itself for him to sign it. I showed up to the venue a couple of hours before the doors opened to check it out, saw Conway Savage outside and approached him. He encouraged me to stick around as they had just finished their soundcheck and were going back to their hotel to do whatever it is they do before a show. Ten minutes later Barry Adamson & Martyn Casey came out, shortly after that Nick & Jim Sclavunos walk out followed by Warren Ellis...
    Last edited by clodhopper; 07-19-2014 at 02:14 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I don't supposed anybody ripped the Grinderman or Nick Cave Coachella sets, eh? If so kindly point me in the direction...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I may have seen something akin to which you seek in a recent comments section of nickcavefixes...I also am currently workin' on my own.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was just in my backyard (it's 10:30pm here) and was staring at the sky which, tonight, is perfectly clear and littered with stars. I had music playing through earbuds and Higgs Boson Blues came on. It was as close to a religious experience I'll ever get.
    That song is fucking magical.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: The Nick Cave Thread

Quote Originally Posted by danebraddy View Post
    I was just in my backyard (it's 10:30pm here) and was staring at the sky which, tonight, is perfectly clear and littered with stars. I had music playing through earbuds and Higgs Boson Blues came on. It was as close to a religious experience I'll ever get.
    That song is fucking magical.
    For some odd reason I was expecting you to say you were going to try and "push the sky away".

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I think, the new album is very good, 'though I liked "Lazarus" and "Grinderman 2" a bit more (yeah, I said it).

"Higgs Boson Blues" will be on repeat the next time I'm driving down to Italy (by way of Geneva that is). Such an awesome song.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    In just under 4 weeks I get to see my first Cave show so excited.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    In just under 4 weeks, I will see him for the 30th something time, And I'm excited too .

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

The Nick Cave Thread

Can anyone tell me where the 8min+ version of "red right hand" originates?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    do you have a clip of it anywhere? i know there's a different version on one of the scream soundtracks, but the only 8 min. version i've heard is a remix...