Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Nick Cave Thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Full video for Jubilee Street:

Edit: should note that it is NSFW
    Last edited by danebraddy; 02-05-2013 at 02:48 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Drip drip drip!!!!!!!

This album is remarkably beautiful.
    Indeed. Far too early for a 'review' or an opinion on it, but a word that comes to mind is... subtle... beautifully so.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Initial Push (a review):

The time is nigh to wade and wallow in the harrowing loveliness & menacing majesty that is ‘Push The Sky Away’. Tis a restrained and nuanced performance from Nick & the Seeds. The live renditions will certainly drop us to our knees.

Analogous albums: The Boatman’s Call, No More Shall We Part & The Lyre of Orpheus

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    just finished my first listen. i LOVED it. first time in a long time from the bad seeds co.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    One listen in so far. Really enjoying it.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    The album is definitely a "groovier" sequel for "No more shall we part"

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I just heard the record about an hour ago. There's definitely a blues element there. Why are they not in the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame? They definitely deserve to be there.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    On my first listen and loving it so far. However, it was pretty jarring to hear the names Hannah Montana and Miley Cyrus in "Higgs Boson Blues." Most Cave songs exist out of specific historical/pop culture context so it's weird to hear teeny-bopper names thrown in. If someone can explain to me why he did it, maybe I can get over it...

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    On my first listen and loving it so far. However, it was pretty jarring to hear the names Hannah Montana and Miley Cyrus in "Higgs Boson Blues." Most Cave songs exist out of specific historical/pop culture context so it's weird to hear teeny-bopper names thrown in. If someone can explain to me why he did it, maybe I can get over it...
    I don't think it's that big of a deal... After all, if you want to depress the shit out of me, you'll quickly and succinctly remind me of the existence of Miley Cyrus. Aren't hannah montana and miley cyrus the same person anyway? That's a sad and dreary topic to cover, and so bravo to him.

But no, he does make cultural references from time to time. The lyrics to There She Goes My Beautiful World is all strange generation leaping name dropping.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 02-06-2013 at 10:05 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: The Nick Cave Thread

Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    The album is definitely a "groovier" sequel for "No more shall we part"
    I was thinking more Nocturama, but better. The first time I heard We No Who U R, it reminded me from Brompton Oratory off The Boatman Calls. I'd say a mix of Boatman/Nocturama mixed with a lot of new.

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    He was making fun of people on the internet. The lingo, the knowledge from Google and Wikipedia.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    I was thinking more Nocturama, but better. The first time I heard We No Who U R, it reminded me from Brompton Oratory off The Boatman Calls. I'd say a mix of Boatman/Nocturama mixed with a lot of new.
    The sure thing: it's nothing like "Dig Lazarus, Dig!!!" i know the disc it's 5 years old, still this was a surprise...
    "Nocturama" it's an interesting "transition album" since it has stuff from his "crooner phase" with his "Rockin' Grindermanish phase" (mostly 'cause Babe Im on Fire), most of the album has a quiet atmosphere much like "No More Shall We Part", "Boatman" and of course it has much of the "Nocturama" spirit, i think the album will grow on me big time!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: The Nick Cave Thread

Definitely a surprise sound after Dig and the Grinder man stuff. Enjoying it a lot though.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I adore the new album. I think it's my favorite piece of work by Cave. It's so, so beautiful.

I reviewed it for Antiquiet, and here's the link if anybody's interested in reading it. I gave it five stars.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morad View Post
    I adore the new album. I think it's my favorite piece of work by Cave. It's so, so beautiful.

I reviewed it for Antiquiet, and here's the link if anybody's interested in reading it. I gave it five stars.
    Beautifully written. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Why haven't I listened to this until now? Sweet fuck is it great. Tickets for the newly announced Vancouver show onsale tomorrow.....may have to hit that up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The 'Bay has a gift for Nick Cave fans. Tis an astounding FM broadcast of the recent Berlin Show. This...is...essential...listening. But a word of caution, it no doubt contains massive spoilers for the upcoming tour. Go fetch! & now I will say no more.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That's a kickass setlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    ****SPOILERZ on Bad Seeds Tour 2013 below:

The first part is especially stellar. Alas, many of the standards are still being thrown in there. Ships, Seat, Stag, D, Red, etc. But I'm a guy who is sick of the singles that are played at EVERY show. (Lookin' at you, trent.) Nevertheless, The Bad Seeds always have new arrangements to keep it interesting. Great Concert, Fantastic Recording & amusing banter from the man himself. The choir and strings will be missing from the show I'll be attending. So I'm glad to experience it second hand.

End Ze Spoils****

I'm especially stoked that Barry Adamson is back in the band. It would've been wrong to tour without ONE of the ORIGINAL Bad Seeds.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    My vinyl got shipped out today !!!!! This album is perfect
    Last edited by Rdm; 02-19-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Got the vinyl today. The two bonus tracks are fucking amazing.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    man, I want the super special edition of this so bad. I really cannot afford it though, but holy shit does that sounds like the coolest special edition ever.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Got the vinyl today. The two bonus tracks are fucking amazing.
    any way for ripping it? I'd love to hear them. I cant afford the vinyl so I only got the digital download from iTunes.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Yeah I would LOVE to own that replica notebook. I can only imagine how scattered one his notebooks must look.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dzaver View Post
    any way for ripping it? I'd love to hear them. I cant afford the vinyl so I only got the digital download from iTunes.
    The two b-sides are on the 'Bay. Essential.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I just watched him live a few hours ago... He played "Stranger Than Kindness", i can die a happy man...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uroboros View Post
    The two b-sides are on the 'Bay. Essential.
    thanks!!!!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Ops wrong thread
    Last edited by Rdm; 02-20-2013 at 02:38 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    New album is really cool. The two singles are still my favourite new tracks, but the rest of the material is very solid. The opening lines of "Finishing Jubilee Street" made me smile so hard. Cave should write more meta-songs...

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I just watched him live a few hours ago... He played "Stranger Than Kindness", i can die a happy man...
    ooof. my favorite.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    ooof. my favorite.
    It's one of my faves too!!!
    I didn't see that one coming! This is my fourth time watching him and it never appeared on the setlist, im so glad he played it...
    By the way, im loving "Push the Sky" away, more and more!