Page 97 of 160 FirstFirst ... 47 87 95 96 97 98 99 107 147 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,910 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    Fuck you dude
    I mean, the name of the thread warned you of stuff like this lol.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    Fuck you dude
    Crumbs! I'd better not mention PHM is my least favorite album

...but SICNH is a freaking gorgeous song on Still.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post

I agree with this one.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    I agree with this one.
    Hold on, your not meant to agree with me, your meant to tell me what a fucking idiot i am!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Every song that is on Still is better than its original version.
    I love Still, but there's no way the Still version of The Becoming is better than the album version, sorry.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I love Still, but there's no way the Still version of The Becoming is better than the album version, sorry.
    The album version of The Becoming is one of my favorite tracks from that album and I still (no pun intended) think the Still version might be better. It's one of the highlights of that EP for me. The only version of that song I don't like is the more recent live versions that are somewhere in between the two but manage to lack what makes each version so awesome.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Yeah, I would definitely say the Still version of The Becoming is better. It's more stripped down and raw than the album version, which I still like a lot.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    "Stripped down" and "raw" does not always = good or better. Less is not always more. The Still version loses the claustrophobic insanity and all of the background screams and cool sound effects present in the original. It's got a very different vibe. Is it still (again, no pun intended) an interesting rendition of one of my favorite NIN songs? Absolutely. Do I still like it? For sure. Do I find it inferior to the original? Most definitely. Are both good songs in their own right? Again, yes.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    "Stripped down" and "raw" does not always = good or better. Less is not always more. The Still version loses the claustrophobic insanity and all of the background screams and cool sound effects present in the original. It's got a very different vibe. Is it still (again, no pun intended) an interesting rendition of one of my favorite NIN songs? Absolutely. Do I still like it? For sure. Do I find it inferior to the original? Most definitely. Are both good songs in their own right? Again, yes.
    Same applies to Something I Can Never Have. Many say the "Still" version is superior, but it's missing the background ambience, sound effects, and the dramatic drums during the chorus.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Alot of people say this. Not sure if it's some sort of a weird age gap, but It's my third favorite (behind The Fragile & The Downward Spiral).

It sounds a bit dated, but it has it's own identity in the catalog and the song writing is top notch, and it's fun to dance to. It definitely bridged the gap between industrial and pop, and I think it was the first independent record to go platinum.

So for me, there's so much awesomeness that surrounds it.

Personally, The Slip is my least favorite. It sounds like a lesser version of the sounds and type of songs that are explored on The Fragile & With Teeth. It's just there. It doesn't benefit or take away from the overall catalog.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

I was ... five or six when PHM came out and it's still a favorite and didn't hear it til I was older. It's got great songs; "80s synthpop" is still a style that's being emulated and influencing people today as far as sounds are concerned (though I guess there's some scratching and that's mostly disappeared); aaand as an added bonus it's pretty much the only album before Trent decided to be the Lord of Darkness all the time (I guess YZ is another break from the persona, but I think it's uneven and kind of flat sometimes). It's the only album you could imagine something like "Purest Feeling" being on (which is fun, damn you naysayers) without it now leading to a bunch of negativity or jokes.

I was still young enough when WT came out (19 or 20?) to enjoy some endless aggression but it just felt a little tired to me a lot of the time. It's about personal taste as much as it's about age.
    Last edited by Pbgut; 10-10-2017 at 12:23 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbitman View Post
    Something I Can Never Have is not a good song.
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    hahahahahaha what an extreme but hilarious reaction

i'm actually curious, @Ribbitman - why don't you think it's a good song? is it the music, the lyrics, the vocals? do you dislike all versions of it, or just the original album version?
    I honestly don't know. The music isn't bad. The lyrics aren't bad. Trent's vocals aren't bad. But ever since I heard it for the first time, it just never did anything for me. It just… plods along I guess? Which is weird since And All That Could Have Been is in my top 3 songs. I will admit that the Still version might be better, but I still don't like it that much.
    Last edited by Ribbitman; 10-10-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Something I Can Never Have is not a good song.
    It's way better than That's What I Get. "After you just taught me how to kiss...you" is the dumbest line that Trent Reznor has ever written.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I agree very much with your first two sentences. And like I said, I love the becoming album version. But there's something about the still version that gets me.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    "Stripped down" and "raw" does not always = good or better.
    I agree, but in the case of the Still version, I think that raw quality brings out more of the primal nature of the song. Stripping the noise away reveals more of the emotion underneath, or at least that's how I hear it.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Also was listening to Down In It in the car with my mom and forgot how fucking embarrassing it is when the nursery rhyme starts..
    The "Rain, rain, go away come again some other day" part? Always giving me the willies, man.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    This is true, but the Still version to me almost feels like a new song entirely, it gets a new meaning, while The Becoming was a big part of the TDS's story, Still version sounds like a song about being eaten away by depression. While TDS's version is claustrophobic and horror-like. The Still version is heart-breaking. This goes to all "Still" rendition of songs, they are the same songs, but they were made so differently they get a whole new meaning, Still's "Something I Can Never Have" doesn't sound like a relationship song as it did in PHM, the "something I can never have" in Still becomes happiness itself.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    One thing I like about the Still version of SICNH is that quiet guitar drone thing in the latter half. I don't really know why, actually. I just always liked that little touch

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Light of Day is actually a pretty good movie....Trent's cameo is all of 5 seconds but how can anyone hate a 1986 Michael J Fox/Joan Jett movie about a struggling rock band....Trent said this movie was shit..I say its good..hence the "controversial NIN opinion" placement of this post

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    The new EP just hasn't really "grabbed" me yet.
    I really hope it does so eventually. I also hope that the best was saved for the third ep.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I listened to The Downward Spiral today.

Minus overplay, the laughable non-fan admiration and the resounding importance of the song...

I can honestly say I do not like Closer at all anymore. It's a very flat song when I listen to The Downward Spiral and I feel it brings the album down when listened as a whole from Mr. Self Destruct to Hurt. I also don't care for the remixes. If the song was removed from live shows entirely, a new release of TDS omitting it or the song being bottom of the barrel for importance I wouldn't be upset in the slightest.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I listened to The Downward Spiral today.

Minus overplay, the laughable non-fan admiration and the resounding importance of the song...

I can honestly say I do not like Closer at all anymore. It's a very flat song when I listen to The Downward Spiral and I feel it brings the album down when listened as a whole from Mr. Self Destruct to Hurt. I also don't care for the remixes. If the song was removed from live shows entirely, a new release of TDS omitting it or the song being bottom of the barrel for importance I wouldn't be upset in the slightest.
    dude i've been anti closer since about the time it came on the radio. i feel you.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I know it's usually cool to hate on the radio singles, but I've always loved Closer. And it's not because he says "I wanna fuck you like an animal," I have always just really enjoyed the song. It's by no means a conventional single, unlike Head Like a Hole, The Hand That Feeds, Discipline, or Less Than (not that there's anything wrong with those songs). The music video only made me like it more (same goes for The Perfect Drug – I wish he'd work with Mark Romanek again...) and I think it's an even stronger song within the context of the album, too. Having said that, Ruiner and The Becoming are my favorite songs on TDS, but the whole first half (tracks 1-8) of the album is PURE. GOLD.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Closer from 3:00 on is one of the more manic-sounding things he did in the early days without relying on industrial sounds or anything edging into more conventional rock or pop territory (sort of like the end of Ringfinger). It's intense and subdued at the same time (until the conclusion before the solo'ed TDS theme). Always one of my favorite pieces he's done. Taken with the first three minutes, it's a slow build into a kind of insanity, the source of which is unclear. Whatever it is, it does not sound like being closer to God, through any means, provides any kind of salvation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I know it's usually cool to hate on the radio singles, but I've always loved Closer. And it's not because he says "I wanna fuck you like an animal," I have always just really enjoyed the song. It's by no means a conventional single, unlike Head Like a Hole, The Hand That Feeds, Discipline, or Less Than (not that there's anything wrong with those songs). The music video only made me like it more (same goes for The Perfect Drug – I wish he'd work with Mark Romanek again...) and I think it's an even stronger song within the context of the album, too. Having said that, Ruiner and The Becoming are my favorite songs on TDS, but the whole first half (tracks 1-8) of the album is PURE. GOLD.
    I remember when a friend told me he saw a video for Closer because if got released as a single and I was shocked. He said it was heavily censored but I was shocked it existed at all.

And to the other post above mine - I don't care how trendy it is, the back half of Closer is one of the best things he's done.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I remember when a friend told me he saw a video for Closer because if got released as a single and I was shocked. He said it was heavily censored but I was shocked it existed at all.

And to the other post above mine - I don't care how trendy it is, the back half of Closer is one of the best things he's done.
    Oh yes - I don't care about how trendy it is but I really haven't come across anything like the second half of the song in the 20+ years it's been released, which just adds to how amazing it is for me. It reminds me a bit of certain Peter Gabriel songs, or maybe some of 90s U2, but I still can't really place it. It just sounds like Nine Inch Nails in 1994, and I love it.

EDIT: Just want to add that when people say something is conventional as a criticism, it usually means that they're bored by it. I don't have any idea what's trendy and probably didn't even when I was a teenager. I just want to be surprised. And the full six minutes of Closer is unusual without losing its emotional impact to pure innovation. I feel really lucky to have been a little kid and getting to hear something like that on the radio with zero effort.
    Last edited by Pbgut; 10-15-2017 at 11:25 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Admittedly, the second half is the main reason I love "Closer".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    At this point, I prefer the instrumental version of Closer. Removing the vocals and focusing on just the music really made me love that song again. Same goes for Capital G!!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Closer To God is better than Closer.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Closer To God is better than Closer.
    This is a controversial opinion. I feel Closer To God is a bit dated. Closer feels more successful in terms of standing the test of time.