Page 96 of 160 FirstFirst ... 46 86 94 95 96 97 98 106 146 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,880 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    Less of an opinion and more of random and slightly morbid speculation: to what extent was Trent's issues with depression in the 90s exaggerated for press, to capitalize on the unusual trend of extremely depressing music selling lots of units or promote the overall "dark" image of NIN? We have a random blog post from Charlie Clouser wondering if Trent really is the guy from the songs, after working with him. We have Trent speaking about his suicidal thoughts or tendencies, but for awhile there it seemed that everyone in rock was talking about that. And if it was (mostly) real or only slightly exaggerated ... do you think he's really OK now?
    I cannot speculate, but I’ve suffered from depression and severe anxiety, and I can definitely see how on some level that many people - even close to you - can never really realize how bad it is. It’s easy to hide, or fake a good day, etc, even for years at a time.

Maybe there is some insight there we will never know. Since we weren’t there, but from the outside looking in I have no trouble believing he really was that low.

His music still has “troubling” themes, I think he’s a lot better now, he’s said as much, but you always carry those feelings and memories with you, that inner looking narrative might shift but you’ll always have reminders and feelings like you did before. I think he’s fine, but has a lot of the same things floating around in his head, now they’re just from a different perspective
    Last edited by Sandy Phimester; 09-25-2017 at 01:42 PM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Read some of his interviews from 97. He was 100% serious about how fucked up he was. I dont think the media pushed the image of him being depressed. They mostly pushed the whole goth vampire darklord image more than the fucked up depressed image

http://theninhotline.net/archives/ar...cle.php?id=671

"I'm probably more sad right now than I've ever been, because I have the added baggage of ... this didn't fix it, you know? Like I always thought, "Man, if I could ever be a rock star..... Some stupid f**kin' naive dream, and then you get it and ... I've been at the lowest point, and I'm not just saying this; it didn't work, man. I mean, my job Is ... I wake up and make music and work with people I respect, and David Bowie will take my call, so why .. do I want to kill myself, you know? It sucks."

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Read some of his interviews from 97. He was 100% serious about how fucked up he was. I dont think the media pushed the image of him being depressed. They mostly pushed the whole goth vampire darklord image more than the fucked up depressed image

http://theninhotline.net/archives/ar...cle.php?id=671

"I'm probably more sad right now than I've ever been, because I have the added baggage of ... this didn't fix it, you know? Like I always thought, "Man, if I could ever be a rock star..... Some stupid f**kin' naive dream, and then you get it and ... I've been at the lowest point, and I'm not just saying this; it didn't work, man. I mean, my job Is ... I wake up and make music and work with people I respect, and David Bowie will take my call, so why .. do I want to kill myself, you know? It sucks."
    He comes across as quite positive about the whole Marilyn Manson thing there, I take it this was before 'the long hard road out of hell' was published?

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    He comes across as quite positive about the whole Marilyn Manson thing there, I take it this was before 'the long hard road out of hell' was published?
    If my time frame is right, most likely..this was early 97, I think the book came out late 97

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Phimester View Post
    I cannot speculate, but I’ve suffered from depression and severe anxiety, and I can definitely see how on some level that many people - even close to you - can never really realize how bad it is. It’s easy to hide, or fake a good day, etc, even for years at a time.

Maybe there is some insight there we will never know. Since we weren’t there, but from the outside looking in I have no trouble believing he really was that low.
    I ask partly (but only partly, since depression and negativity was this truly bizarrely popular force for awhile there, considering the normal subject matter for mainstream music) because I've dealt with it myself, and even when I was faking my way through the day, any kind of praise or anything positive from other people really messed with my head more than anything else. Things not going well made more sense to me than any kind of success (of course, on a much smaller scale). The last thing I would ever want in that state was attention. But obviously everyone's underlying personality is different, the triggers are different, etc. Aaaand I am not an insanely talented musician with a rare ability to connect with millions of people, so maybe it was easier for me to negate whatever positive feedback I did get.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I'm almost certain he exaggerated that stuff for image purposes. After all this is show business and it were the 90s. BUT: As much as the way rock musicians behaved during that time became a running joke, let's not forget how some of those guys ended up. Just think Cobain, Cornell and others that didn't make it. Is there a clearer indicator that it wasn't just made up stories they went through?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I'm almost certain he exaggerated that stuff for image purposes. After all this is show business and it were the 90s. BUT: As much as the way rock musicians behaved during that time became a running joke, let's not forget how some of those guys ended up. Just think Cobain, Cornell and others that didn't make it. Is there a clearer indicator that it wasn't just made up stories they went through?
    Yeah – that's partially what makes me wonder about the exaggeration, in Trent's case. Some of that music from that era was surprisingly authentic and autobiographical. But there's such a huge leap in, uh, negativity and rage between PHM and TDS. He's the only guy out of that group who won best in drama in high school, and he sounds smarter and more calculating than most of them. (I don't mean any of this as a criticism.) He also pretty consistently talked about doing soundtrack work when he got older all the way back in the 90s; seems unusual that a suicidal person would be thinking about old age. But those truly depressed guys didn't make it (Cobain sounded genuinely insane in interviews toward the end; openly talking about blowing his head off due to stomach pains. I'm surprised he wasn't hospitalized by management). I also don't think he could have actually functioned if he was even half as ill as the protagonist talking in his 90s music, and yet he worked on soundtracks, produced MM, and toured a lot for TDS before working 16 hour days for TF. So — yeah. I've also tended to think, maybe before WT, and after PHM, that he's playing a character based off an exaggeration of his real feelings that a lot of people can relate to.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I thought Trent always described TDS as being a concept album based on a character and it wasn't supposed to be autobiographical like PHM. I've read that in lots of interviews around that time from the NIN hotline archive

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I thought Trent always described TDS as being a concept album based on a character and it wasn't supposed to be autobiographical like PHM. I've read that in lots of interviews around that time from the NIN hotline archive
    True. Just because it became a self-fulfilling prophecy that could be viewed as semi-autobiographical in retrospect, doesn't mean it was intended as such. He mentions something along the lines of what you said in the press kit for The Downward Spiral that FULLMETAL posted yesterday in the AV PC thread.
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 09-26-2017 at 11:45 AM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    If my time frame is right, most likely..this was early 97, I think the book came out late 97
    Close enough, but it was actually very early 1998, on Valentine's Day a good 7 months before Mechanical Animals came out.

http://www.mansonwiki.com/wiki/The_L...ad_Out_of_Hell

For some reason, I also sometimes thought that The Long Hard Road Out Out Hell came out in 1997, at least around the time Closure came out.

That could also perhaps explain any positivity and overall amicable terms that existed/remained between Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson at the time.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-27-2017 at 07:04 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    True. Just because it became a self-fulfilling prophecy that could be viewed as semi-autobiographical in retrospect, doesn't mean it was intended as such. He mentions something along the lines of what you said in the press kit for The Downward Spiral that FULLMETAL posted yesterday in the AV PC thread.
    Yeah. I have read some of those interviews as well. But if he's writing somewhat from his subconscious (whatever that actually is in all of us) then he might have been expressing feelings he'd been covering up or repressing without fully realizing it. I guess we're all lucky it didn't get worse!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    The Slip at this current point in time is my favorite NIN album

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    It's certainly quite a sonic journey that I find similar to Bowie's "Low" (conventional songs followed by outlandish experiments)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    It's certainly quite a sonic journey that I find similar to Bowie's "Low" (conventional songs followed by outlandish experiments)
    Also note how its cover arts are qute samilliar and how both have a great change in their second halfs.
    Mmh...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Also note how its cover arts are qute samilliar and how both have a great change in their second halfs.
    Mmh...
    I hadn't noticed the cover art similarity, but now that you mention it, there is a definite resemblance

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Why?

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i love the slip, too. it's succinct and played to the garage rock schtick that was so popular at the time. it sounds like nin with a side of the faint, mgmt, !!!, etc.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clarktrent View Post
    We have Ghosts V-VIII folks, and it's 130 tracks and 10 hours long.
    It's still interesting what Trent and Co would release under similar conditions/restrictions under NIN moniker with no movie director up their asses. In 2008 it served as a huge refresher both for the band and the listeners, i see no downsides if 2018 brings something in that spirit (pun intended).

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbitman View Post
    Why?
    I absolutely love its sound, it sounds so dirty and raw throughout, I adore the garagey sound that was given to the album, it is amazingly creative and perfectly structured. Trent's vocals are amazing and powerful, probably some of my favorite ones of his right next to the on-going EP trilogy. The lyrics are great, which is quite a surprise seeing how quickly the album was put together. I know a lot of people love to call the album unnispired, but I cannot disagree more, there are so many sides of NIN captured here and all in incredible ways (The agressive/sad/catchy/poppy/. And all done so in possibly the shortest NIN album, but the lenght feels perfect, it doesn't feel short, too long, no fillers, every track has its purpose and perfect place in the album. I find it to be a very agressive and energetic album, but with the maturity Trent currently has and for some reason that makes the agression have a great impact upon me, I don't know how to explain that one.

The first half has some amazing catchy tunes and also agressive balls to the wall tracks like "Letting You". But also chill yet creepy "Echoplex".

Then after utterly amazing "Head Down", which has a wonderful mix of agressivity and the album becomes more experimental with incredibly quiet ballad and then two instrumental tracks, Corona Radiata being one of my favorite instrumentals, next to A Warm Place and such, I love how it builds itself until it ends heavilly, it feels very immersive and breaks up the album. Then these two instrumentals conclude in Demon Seed, which is an amazing over-looked NIN album closer, very unique one and bombastic one.

It's a NIN album I return to the most due to just how much it has to offer in one listening.

Also, unrelated to music; It has the best album art from any NIN album and I utterly love the aesthetic the entire album and its artworks went for.
    Last edited by HWB; 10-07-2017 at 02:34 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

It's a NIN album I return to the most due to just how much it has to offer in one listening.

Also, unrelated to music; It has the best album art from any NIN album and I utterly love the aesthetic the entire album and its artworks went for.
    Totally agree. I return back to The Slip quite a lot.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Awesome. You're the first person I hae ever seen to have The Slip or Hesitation Marks number one

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    The Slip is an excellent album, and honestly it being released for free hurt it a lot - putting no value on it meant fans put no value on it either.

And, barring Ghosts, it has the best art of any NIN release to date.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    The Slip is an excellent album, and honestly it being released for free hurt it a lot - putting no value on it meant fans put no value on it either.

And, barring Ghosts, it has the best art of any NIN release to date.
    I agree with this all the way. I wish It wasn't a free album. All those people treating it like something less make me a little sad.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I really want to put Still as my number one album, but it's so hard with The Fragile and The Downward Spiral existing

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I really want to put Still as my number one album, but it's so hard with The Fragile and The Downward Spiral existing
    Every song that is on Still is better than its original version.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Something I Can Never Have is not a good song.
    Last edited by Ribbitman; 10-10-2017 at 07:09 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Also was listening to Down In It in the car with my mom and forgot how fucking embarrassing it is when the nursery rhyme starts..

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaSarahS View Post
    Totally agree. I return back to The Slip quite a lot.
    You could say you *puts on sunglasses* Slip Back into it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Something I Can Never Have is not a good song.
    Fuck you dude

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    Fuck you dude
    hahahahahaha what an extreme but hilarious reaction

i'm actually curious, @Ribbitman - why don't you think it's a good song? is it the music, the lyrics, the vocals? do you dislike all versions of it, or just the original album version?