Page 2 of 160 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I had the idea of a thread exactly as this one in the last two days, from reading the Least Favorite NIN Tracks some.

\\

The Line Begins To Blur is one of the greatest NIN songs. It just is.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OSLIN View Post
    Sounds like a personal problem
    the song is not about THAT problem, it's just pretty catchy

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I don't like Gave Up.
    I fucking love The Collector.
    I think Getting Smaller is awesome.
    I don't understand the hate for God Given, that track is killer.
    Year Zero is my favourite album.
    I really don't care for TDTWWA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I never liked Reptile. The chorus is too annoying.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Quote Originally Posted by tw3rbz View Post
    Year zero is my favorite album. And i would like to thank josh wink for his noodling on the album, at the beginning and the end.
    Sorry. Ill go away
    This joke will be on ets for a while.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hani View Post
    the song is not about THAT problem, it's just pretty catchy
    Just mute video on right.

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=o41rgQeY7Xo&start1=0&video2=FTofjcxXHqA&st art2=0&authorName=OSLIN
    Last edited by OSLIN; 08-22-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    The Slip was a mistake.
    He should have scrapped everything and put Lights In The Sky on the Greatest Hits album and released that instead.
    Last edited by tony.parente; 08-22-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Goths annoy me. The fact that they are seen as synonymous with NIN annoys me. I'm an asshole.

I absolutely love the Porter Ricks mix of TDTWWA.

I'll show myself the door.
    Last edited by The Reason Being; 08-22-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    IMO Reptile is amazing

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Where is Everybody? > 2/3 of The Fragile. And while we're on the subject, I frequently skip Please. Also, as previously stated, Deep is awesome. I love Zoo Station. I think TR's best look is YZ-Wave Goodbye. I would be THRILLED if With Teeth (the song) were thrown back into set lists. Come to think of it, add several WT songs. And finally (for now), I rarely think about, or listen to, because I'm not particularly touched by: And All That Could Have Been.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    no

just

ummm

no

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I don't know how controversial these opinions are, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

1. I like both the Left and the Right discs of The Fragile equally. As much as I love Somewhat Damaged, The Day The World Went Away, The Wretched, We're In This Together, The Fragile, Just Like You Imagined, and Pilgrimage, I also loved The Way Out Is Though, Into The Void, Where Is Everybody?, Starfuckers, Inc., I'm Looking Forward To Joining You, Finally, and Ripe (With Decay).

2. I used to love Underneath It All, but I barely listen to it now. It's probably my least favorite track on the Right disc.

3. Starfuckers, Inc. is actually one of my most favorite songs from the Right disc as mentioned in number 1.

4. I also mentioned this in NIN.com as well: I sometimes find myself liking With Teeth more than Year Zero, Ghosts I-IV, and The Slip, but that also depends on my mood.

5. Ghosts I-IV would have to be by far my least favorite NIN album. (I'm also not saying it's a bad album either, now that would've been really controversial, as I really do have some favorite tracks from both Ghosts I-II and Ghosts III-IV.)

6. Everything easily became my latest favorite NIN song.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 08-22-2013 at 04:36 PM. Reason: I forgot to mention Starfuckers, Inc. in number 1. =P

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Third time is a charm...
    Not only is Deep great, but so is the video. Come at me.
    Closer is amazing even if it is overplayed.
    PHM is awesome and I find nothing embarrassing about it.
    Trent should have married Tori instead to prevent her from sucking later in her career.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    Trent should have married Tori instead to prevent her from sucking later in her career.
    quick question (will spark some controversy too, I guess)

who's Tori

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So much bravery here.

Here's mine - I've never been a fan of Piggy live, and I hope it gets some vacation time during Tension. Also, let Robin play guitar more often.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    quick question (will spark some controversy too, I guess)

who's Tori
    I think this refers to Tori Amos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    who's Tori
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tori_amos

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    she was involved with TR? didn't know

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    HM will at least beat out YZ, GH, TS, and even WT for me. In one throw.

This is a somewhat unfounded opinion, but an opinion nonetheless. Real controversial talk.
    Last edited by Amaro; 08-22-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    plus, his solo stuff as SONOIO made me cry a lot. this dude is my god
    Both SONOIO albums are SOOOOO freaking good. I can't believe we didn't hear more about them in general, some of my favorite releases by any artist in the last few years. The only bad thing about Ally being on tour with NIN for the next year and half plus is less time to record a follow-up .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Trent did write his best music while he was deep in the throes of drug addiction. That said, I don't think it had anything to do with his drug addiction. He was a tortured artist, spending years and years on one release, presumably slaving over it in the studio every day, trying to get little pieces perfect. I just wish he would do that again. I imagine With Teeth took some time (due to the scrapped Bleedthrough concept), but every bit of work since has been much more quickly done. I just want him to be that perfectionist again.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    she was involved with TR? didn't know
    yeah, around 94. that's part of why trent does vocals on her song "past the mission"

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Controversial opinion: I really don't care if we never hear Tapeworm
    Can I double down on that and say I hope we never do, because everything about it sounds shitty? Nothing about it ever sounded exciting. "NIN but with less talented people!" Yay?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frothy_ham View Post
    Both SONOIO albums are SOOOOO freaking good. I can't believe we didn't hear more about them in general, some of my favorite releases by any artist in the last few years. The only bad thing about Ally being on tour with NIN for the next year and half plus is less time to record a follow-up .
    Ally tweeted that new SONOIO record will be out this year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ally tweeted that new SONOIO record will be out this year
    GAH!!!! I'm so behind on my feed, missed that completely. Thanks for the great news!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frothy_ham View Post
    GAH!!!! I'm so behind on my feed, missed that completely. Thanks for the great news!
    https://twitter.com/blindoldfreak/st...93877477081089

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chroipahtz View Post
    Trent did write his best music while he was deep in the throes of drug addiction. That said, I don't think it had anything to do with his drug addiction. He was a tortured artist, spending years and years on one release, presumably slaving over it in the studio every day, trying to get little pieces perfect. I just wish he would do that again. I imagine With Teeth took some time (due to the scrapped Bleedthrough concept), but every bit of work since has been much more quickly done. I just want him to be that perfectionist again.
    This... is within the realm of possibility. I've had a similar feeling that along with the drugs came insecurity and paranoia that his music wasn't going to be good enough. Couple that with the imposed media pressure of "saving rock music", and you have a recipe for some really groundbreaking tunes. Of course, this was almost at the expense of TR's sanity. After sobriety, there was confidence and relaxation that lead to making music with joy and, importantly, without much in the way of pressure or expectations (at least not any he cared about). This may have led to TR being a little more... lax in is standards, shall we say? Or if that doesn't seem quite right, maybe we could call it a confidence that anything he put together was worth hearing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ComradeCornhole View Post
    This... is within the realm of possibility. I've had a similar feeling that along with the drugs came insecurity and paranoia that his music wasn't going to be good enough. Couple that with the imposed media pressure of "saving rock music", and you have a recipe for some really groundbreaking tunes. Of course, this was almost at the expense of TR's sanity. After sobriety, there was confidence and relaxation that lead to making music with joy and, importantly, without much in the way of pressure or expectations (at least not any he cared about). This may have led to TR being a little more... lax in is standards, shall we say? Or if that doesn't seem quite right, maybe we could call it a confidence that anything he put together was worth hearing.
    I'm sure it's just that it's been healthier for him to not obsess over the material and just let it flow out. But hey, we haven't had a painstaking effort since The Fragile, and I miss that stuff. It was so nuanced and weird.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RGM81 View Post
    So much bravery here.

Here's mine - I've never been a fan of Piggy live, and I hope it gets some vacation time during Tension. Also, let Robin play guitar more often.
    While not a comment about live performances, I will say this:

Piggy (Nothing Can Stop Me Now) > Piggy

Not sure if that's really controversial though (kinda doubt it).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goingincirclez View Post
    Agreed, and that's kind of how I feel about With Teeth. That album is rather scattered and myopic but TLBTB / BYIT / RWIB trifecta really make a strong close. Seems like ALL of NIN's post-Fragile era albums have stronger finishes than builds, now that I think about it... the conclusion to YZ is rather poignant and pointed compared to that album's earlier meandering.
    Agree with this entirely. It seems to be one of TR's strengths.