Page 106 of 160 FirstFirst ... 6 56 96 104 105 106 107 108 116 156 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,180 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    when you say "echo preamp" what do you mean? an echo effect isn't generated by a pre-amp. do you mean an effect/plug-in? because those are very different things.

also, how can you tell there are "speed corrections", and what did your comment about the vocals being adjusted for "orientation" mean?

like, i'm an audio engineer and i'm really confused right now.
    K. Listen to the vocal section ending at 2:33.
    You can noticibly hear the echo “singled out.”
    To my ear, it sounds like a vocal preamp, not a post effect... though I suppose I could be wrong about that, and it could have been added by plug in.

I’ll listen again for the speed corrections and come back with an exact MM:SS where I hear it.

By Orientation, I mean, I picked up a couple spots where the vocal track has been shifted in protools to better match the beat with the vocals.
    Again, I’ll can give you a MM:SS where I picked it up so you can listen for it.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    People unloaded on the guy because what he said wasn't an opinion, it was factually incorrect.

Trent Reznor is a hugely talented individual, respected even amongst his peers, spearheading entire genres of music and bringing others into the mainstream. He's won multiple awards, has been releasing music for over 30 years, and continues to push the boundaries to this day. Whatever he does, whatever he says, he does so for a reason. Of course we're all only human; none of us are infallible. I haven't heard the song yet so I can't really comment on that, but seriously, to say that this man "doesn't have doesn’t have the depth of experienxe" is profoundly, absurdly ignorant.
    Ah shit dude, I didn't know your opinions were facts
    Last edited by Wretchedest; 05-22-2018 at 11:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Saying "oranges are green" isn't an opinion, it's just a lie.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sipuss View Post
    Saying "oranges are green" isn't an opinion, it's just a lie.

Oranges are indeed green before they ripen. Just sayin.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    The quiet version of The Day The World Went Away should have been the album version and the album version should have been released as a remix on the single.

Edit: This never occurred to me until the quiet version was put on the original instrumental version of The Fragile that was on Apple Music for a bit instead of the album version. I wonder if it was ever considered for the album originally?
    While i do agree that Quiet is better and more emotional, i love the original version as much for a number of reasons.

Now the song is probably about his Grandma passing much like ILFTJYF. The way i see TDTWWA is this

The song to me represents Trent's emotional state. The loud, abrasive and noisy guitars is the pain and emotional turmoil he is going through...but all he can bring out...is the quiet verse. Its quiet...its full of bitterness...but its suppressed...but on the inside...it's that loud crashing wall of noise.

Also...Nana..is also another way of saying Grandma

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    People unloaded on the guy because what he said wasn't an opinion, it was factually incorrect.

Trent Reznor is a hugely talented individual, respected even amongst his peers, spearheading entire genres of music and bringing others into the mainstream. He's won multiple awards, has been releasing music for over 30 years, and continues to push the boundaries to this day. Whatever he does, whatever he says, he does so for a reason. Of course we're all only human; none of us are infallible. I haven't heard the song yet so I can't really comment on that, but seriously, to say that this man "doesn't have doesn’t have the depth of experienxe" is profoundly, absurdly ignorant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I'm not sure what you think you just read, but try reading it again.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    But this IS the controversial opinions thread.
    And the "depth of experience" comment WAS an entirely subjective statement. Perhaps the dude feels like you have to, I don't know, work at the circus for at least two years and then be arrested for fucking a goose before you have had the appropriate experience to attempt a certain kind of singing.

It's a controversial opinion on a subjective matter, right?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Consequence of Sound is one thing.

But this drama is in friggin Spin.

and more boarders are getting quoted.

Next stop. Rolling Stone.

https://www.spin.com/2018/05/trent-reznor-nine-inch-nails-bad-witch-ep-lp-response
    Last edited by Buzz; 05-22-2018 at 06:53 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Consequence of Sound is one thing.

But this drama is in friggin Spin.

and more boarders are getting quoted.

Next stop. Rolling Stone.

https://www.spin.com/2018/05/trent-reznor-nine-inch-nails-bad-witch-ep-lp-response
    "Bad Violence" LOLOLOL

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    "Bad Violence" LOLOLOL
    It's extra funny because they got it right at the beginning of the article, so in the few minutes it took to write, they already forgot the name of the album they were writing about.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    "Bad Violence" LOLOLOL

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Is Bad Violence an EP or an LP or a single?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 05-22-2018 at 07:56 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Is Bad Violence an EP or an LP or a single?
    It's a modular album, the first album where you get 2 hours of raw studio sessions in an encrypted stream, choose anywhere from 25-80 minutes and get a custom lathe pressing of your playlist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Events Violence Witch. Violence Witch Events. Not The Actual Add Bad. Add Not The Actual Bad.

Discuss.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvp View Post
    events violence witch. Violence witch events. Not the actual add bad. Add not the actual bad.

Discuss.
    u r a maroon.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    u r a maroon.

I usually prefer magenta, myself.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

The topic is controversial nin opinions not conversations in color theory. Let’s try to stick to it.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I mean, you guys closed the shitposting thread. It's gotta go somewhere.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I love "the hand that feeds". I always hear how us die hards are tired of hearing the hits but I really missed terilble lie last year and gave up in 2013. Although I am still good with not having closer and could do without piggy unless it's the remix. Just never enough time and the 90 to 120 minutes always goes to fast.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    I mean, you guys closed the shitposting thread. It's gotta go somewhere.

Or how about just don't shitpost anywhere?

Controversial NIN opinion:
    I think the naming scheme, along with the length of the album, makes a lot of Ghosts forgettable.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Judging by many comments I'm going to assume perhaps it's slightly controversial but...

With Teeth is one of my favourite NIN releases

I'm not sure, but I think it's the time in my life when it came out, mixed with the first times I ever got to see NIN live was on that tour. Life was so chaotic with a lot of big changes, moving in with girlfriend at the time, new apartment, very stressful situation with work and family life, sort of a new chapter for me back then. I had always loved Nine Inch Nails since the first time I heard Closer when it was released when I was a little kid, and then of course later with The Fragile... but I sort of didn't follow what was happening with NIN much after that, even though I was listening all the time. Then I heard the local station was playing the latest single and I was hooked. Joined The Spiral and went head first into the 2nd wave of my obsession with NIN.

I also just love the sounds on that record, but over all it ranks very high for me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    I think the naming scheme, along with the length of the album, makes a lot of Ghosts forgettable.
    I can seldom find the track I'm looking for whenever I want to revisit a specific song from Ghosts I-IV for these reasons. Which has the side-effect of making me listen to other tracks in my search, tracks that I might otherwise pass over if I had immediately gotten what I was looking for. I do wonder if this was part of the intent with regards to the track names, but I think this hypothesis is dubious.

Having all the track names be some variant on the title of the record is of course not a choice unique to this record. Though Ghosts I-IV is longer than the other records I can think of that do the same.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Controversial NIN opinion:
    i agree; however, i've been thinking of revisiting it. I haven't given it a proper listen in about eight years.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Ghosts was, and still is sort of (really good) background noise for me at times. The naming convention fits with that, but even so I think instrumentals have almost always been that way for me. I have the deluxe box set and love it, but rarely listen to it these days. Would more traditional names help with all that? Probably not, but I've thought about it before. It's all just sorta.... Ghosts, as one idea.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Trent's post-Fragile/Still composition skills really seemed to improve by the time The Slip and Ghosts were released. This is especially evident in the soundtrack work and How to Destroy Angels. I mean I like With Teeth and Year Zero, but some of that material seems kind of goofy to me compared to every release before and after that period. (Yes I know Discipline is on The Slip lol). Obviously, this next statement makes no fucking sense but, WT/YZ would make more sense to me if Trent Reznor had "solo" material that wasn't under the NIN moniker. Everything since The Slip has really hit the mark as to what NIN represents for me. If I were to make a playlist to show a person what NIN is all about, it is probably going include less songs from With Teeth and Year Zero than all the other albums. I really feel like most of Hesitation Marks and the last two EPs have been a wonderful representation of the NIN "spirit" I came to love as a teenager.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    controversial opinion: Piggy is a love song. Trent is longing for his secret boyfriend, Richard Patrick.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Phimester View Post
    Ghosts was, and still is sort of (really good) background noise for me at times. The naming convention fits with that, but even so I think instrumentals have almost always been that way for me. I have the deluxe box set and love it, but rarely listen to it these days. Would more traditional names help with all that? Probably not, but I've thought about it before. It's all just sorta.... Ghosts, as one idea.
    the names, ha.

i think of them as like "the one that goes "ba ba BABA , ba ba BABA" and then like "na na na na, na na." like shit you can't explain to anyone :P

i do know the first two as i absolutely adore them.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Controversial or not, the best ghost is 8 ghosts I. I would kill for a version with some desperate ass vocals as in verse 2 of the line begins to blur. Even though the song is all messy with fuzz and distortion, it has an almost classic rock sound to it.
    Last edited by EndlessLoveless; 05-23-2018 at 12:56 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The rest I can deal with but this? How DARE you on both counts! 😉
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    I’ll choose “I’m Looking Forward To Joining You, Finally” for $300, please.

Answer there, “It has drums. It’s a cure for insomnia. It’s the worst song on The Fragile and NIN’s worst.” At a close second, we have “Running.”