Page 99 of 160 FirstFirst ... 49 89 97 98 99 100 101 109 149 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,970 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Welcome Oblivion was designed for molly.

Add Violence, specifically TBG was designed for contemplating strong friendships that got strained under matters such as money, money... and money.

NIN's music has a scary implicationa, but the role it advises for you to take... is pretty straightforward.

It isn't an inspiration to self-destruction. Quite the opposite.

edit: ignore this mess, I was drunkposting last night.
    Last edited by Microwave Jellyfish; 10-29-2017 at 04:33 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    "Satellite" seemingly is underappreciated here, and probably does so because it's from Hesitation Marks (not that anyone here hates it, it's just not as appreciated)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    it's not b/c it's specifically from HM, it's b/c it's a forgettable dance track that fits to a T the biggest complaints about newer NIN: repetitious bleep bloop loops, same-y drones come in & out in the most obvious places, no bite, no edge. Muted singing with kinda goofy lyrics too.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Someone mentioned that it was reminiscent of a Justin Timberlake track. That was pretty accurate and it kind of killed it for me, personally.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Damn. I didn't think it'd be that controversial, but Satellite is a real favourite of mine. I'm extremely upset that I'll probably never see it performed live. More uptempo funk-tinged dance tracks for the third EP please!

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    forgettable dance track that fits to a T the biggest complaints about newer NIN: repetitious bleep bloop loops, same-y drones come in & out in the most obvious places, no bite, no edge. Muted singing with kinda goofy lyrics too.
    This times a million. Along with too many generic electronic beats. Trent used to have a great sense of how to combine the more traditional analog instruments (that sometimes managed to sound electronic) with his synth/keyboard/electronic gear (that somehow at times managed to sound like traditional analog instruments). Not much a fan of the Atticus Reznor stuff these days. The line has blurred- no pun intended- and all the soundtrack work, HTDA, and NIN seems to be interchangeable.

Im actually bummed about it since I’ve loved so much of the music over the years, and NIN/Trent will probably be my favorite band/musician to the day I croak. Just don’t have any high expectations for releases anymore even if I can find a track or two that I like.

Le sigh. :/

They did sound great at Riot Fest though. Hoping for some eye candy though during the next tour.

/rambling]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Valid complaints, I'll give you all that. Maybe I enjoy it just because of it's ambient nature or I actually like dance tracks. Who knows

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bought the album when it came out, but Downward Spiral doesn't have much replay value these days.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony_crisp View Post
    bought the album when it came out, but downward spiral doesn't have much replay value these days.
    lol um no

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony_crisp View Post
    Bought the album when it came out, but Downward Spiral doesn't have much replay value these days.
    I know this is the Controversial Opinions thread but Jesus, that's a nuclear hot take...

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I can't stand hurt, I hate that song and when I hear it come on live, that's my cue to walk away and beat the crowd (unless I'm jam packed stuck up in front row against the rail or something, that's the only way I'll through that song).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    i personally find that all the official NIN remix albums suck. seriously. bad.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Detunez View Post

I will admit that the content on them is much harder to digest than normal albums. So I get why you'd think that.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    YZR I love because it's still an album, you get the tracks in (mostly) order, just reinterpreted. Things Falling Apart has 3 too many Starfuckers remixes

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i'm with you. of the dozens of official remixes, "piggy (nothing can stop me now)", "closer to god", and the ladytron remix of "the beginning of the end" are all i *really* like.

my dislike for things falling apart got me facepalmed by some of my favorite people here. it's an unpopular opinion, but so it goes.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Fuck remix albums. From any band. I personally like TFA, but that’s mostly because expectations are so low. “Hard to digest” is a good way of putting it. I never really understood the point of remix albums.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

This one wants to have a word with you guys.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post

This one wants to have a word with you guys.
    The US version sucks though. That's the US version. It sucks.*

*With the exception of The Beauty of Being Numb and Eraser (polite).

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Come on now, Y34RZ3R0 is decent. The theme of every other NIN remix albums can be summed up with "Do you really think we can't make this song any more obscure? Watch us!", and somehow I should be over the roof, because Trent and the guys fucked shit up. Fixed is easily the worst offender.

YZ played it safe. Most of the remixes are very listener-friendly, albeit a tad bit boring.

Also, special shoutout to Photek's THTF remix, I loooove it. Though can't imagine the disdain of people who hated the poppy vibe of THTF to begin with.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    Also, special shoutout to Photek's THTF remix, I loooove it. Though can't imagine the disdain of people who hated the poppy vibe of THTF to begin with.
    The only THTF I cannot stand is DFA remix. That 46 minute promo disc should've never existed in the first place.

I'd love to see a remix album released for the trilogy EPs after the final installment comes out, too.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    How many HLAH remixes would you like? :P

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Butch Vig's remix to Last is my personal favorite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by high def ultra-realism View Post
    Butch Vig's remix to Last is my personal favorite

Aaaaand Stella Soleil's Illum Tagendo

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    The only THTF I cannot stand is DFA remix. That 46 minute promo disc should've never existed in the first place.
    The DFA remix is fantastic in its version without Trents vocals. Back then the DFA were running things in the New York indie scene with a LOT of stand out productions and remixes and the first LCD and Rapture albums under their belt. They had an edge to their sound while keeping it insanely danceable. I'm sure TR got more than just a little inspired by their sound for songs like THTF, ATLITW or Only. You know, real recognize real.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i love lcd soundsystem and was so stoked to hear the dfa mix. i thought it sucked, but never considered removing the vocals. it really makes the track decent. don't know what that says about it overall. i remember getting the feeling that it was a cash grab and not something james wanted to do. he described the song and nin in general as too "masculine." i kinda understood that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Remix albums are definitely weird and hard to digest at first. However, I do enjoy many remixes, and Ruiner (Version) is top notch.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Everything(Autolux) is pretty bad.

YZR TGD may be my favorite remix.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    This is like my Holy Grail of NIN records. Anything remixed by DFA is just so good, and it bothers me endlessly that I still don't have Version II.

Fixed was, if my memory is correct, the first NIN record I bought. Back c. 1993/4 it was the cheapest release available in local stores. The coil mix of Gave Up and the first mix of Happiness In Slavery remain favourites to this day. Further Down The Spiral was kind of a big deal at the time, but largely down to the appearance of Aphex Twin. Also, it was pretty cool that The Art Of Self Destruction turned up on a Levi's ad, although I'm not sure it got much air time.

We all know that Things Falling Apart was ruined by too much Starfuckers, although I do rather enjoy the Ogilvie mix. Should have just stuck the other two on the promo single. I can only assume that somebody somewhere had it in their head that this song should be a hit, but if that's the case how come it never received a proper single release? Odd.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Well, Starfuckers was still the most radio friendly song on TF (censored version ofc), and its music video also fit in the trends. It's sad that Trent abandoned it, but at least it had its live playtime, unlike half of With Teeth.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    Further Down The Spiral was kind of a big deal at the time, but largely down to the appearance of Aphex Twin. Also, it was pretty cool that The Art Of Self Destruction turned up on a Levi's ad, although I'm not sure it got much air time.
    Any idea who directed the Levi's commercial? "The Art of Self Destruction, Part One" was used in The Fan the same year.