Page 111 of 160 FirstFirst ... 11 61 101 109 110 111 112 113 121 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,330 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceanic Voyager View Post
    I love Bowie, but not NIN's doing Bowie. It was much better when Bowie was doing NINs
    I like the new song a lot, but I have to give you props for this clever thought.

For me, GBDTD is kind of NIN doing Bowie doing NIN (which was influenced by Bowie.)
    How bout that?

Low influenced TDS which influenced Outside which influenced GBDTD.
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-06-2018 at 03:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Low influenced TDS which influenced Outside which influenced GBDTD.
    That sounds about right. How great was it to have Bowie's iconic voice and personality paired with the sound of NIN?

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceanic Voyager View Post
    That sounds about right. How great was it to have Bowie's iconic voice and personality paired with the sound of NIN?
    oh it was great alright.
    Outside is pretty much my all time favorite album.

And that's why I will never forgive myself for missing the Bowie/NIN show in Dallas in 95. Fifteen year old me had decided that he should no longer support NIN because they had "sold out" by scoring a radio hit with Closer.
    I was over the NIN ban within a few weeks, but of course that fucking show happened during that time period.
    I also mistakenly thought I'd have plenty more chances to see Bowie (I never saw him, ever.)
    I still have a hard time talking about it, ha.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Whatever it is, I hope it's fucking amazing, simply because my friend Barrett has been going by @halo33 for as long as I've known him and I'd be REALLY bummed out if it sucked.
    I love you for saying it. Been using this moniker since the dawn of the internet.

But seriously, there were plenty of times over the years that I didn't think he was even gonna make it to 33. Part of me was fine with that. (especially after he started doing all the soundtrack work)

Now that we are right on the cusp of it though, I just want him to call up and say, "hey swing by the studio and check out the making of it!"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Alex Karapetis is the best NIN drummer that has ever been.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    Turns out it was an anti-arg to make us as hopeless as Trent. Great, this record is now even bleaker.

It's not a stupid thread, he just confirmed he really was playing with us. But in the end, nothing matters and we're all shit. Was an honor to play with you lads.
    I have no problem admitting I'm wrong; I'm usually the first person to throw myself under the bus.

This extreme nihilism is incredibly off-putting. It's also an incredibly lazy way to end a "trilogy". I just kind of expected more from someone in their 50's with multiple kids than an elaborate troll.

That being said, I'm way more "offended" than I probably should be. Just seems to be a lot of ass kissing, "Oh! You got us, Trent!".

Done with this band and done with this board. I know, good riddance.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I don't see it as trolling. I mean, it's not meant to be a prank. From reading that interview, it's become clear that a narrative that flows through all three albums is trying to make sense out of chaos only to find more chaos. And yeah, that's a very bleak way of looking at things, but should we expect any less?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    While I'm disappointed they abandoned the direction they appeared to be going, that's not how creativity works. He said the album 'revealed itself' to him. And Bad Witch is that result. The original, planned resolution didn't feel sincere.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I have no problem admitting I'm wrong; I'm usually the first person to throw myself under the bus.

This extreme nihilism is incredibly off-putting. It's also an incredibly lazy way to end a "trilogy". I just kind of expected more from someone in their 50's with multiple kids than an elaborate troll.

That being said, I'm way more "offended" than I probably should be. Just seems to be a lot of ass kissing, "Oh! You got us, Trent!".

Done with this band and done with this board. I know, good riddance.
    Hm I don't think so, it's not some kind of joke, there really is a narrative, details tied to each other, meant to form a bigger picture, which puts those records into context. And there's whole act about considering the world, not just himself. That's one third of the trilogy. That's not extreme, BW is a conclusion, among others.

Meanwhile, among the interviews, the music itself has hope. The end of Over and Out doesn't seem like and end in this way, there is still.. something. Everything is in phase. Feels bleak but alright.
    Last edited by StockAvuryah; 06-21-2018 at 12:16 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    "What the obsessives maybe don’t know is that if I were to explain everything to you, or just explicitly lay out what the new EP is about, you’d only be disappointed. You don’t really want to know. The experience of grappling with the thing is what makes it interesting, not the immediate gratification of going, “Oh, that’s what it means.”"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    "What the obsessives maybe don’t know is that if I were to explain everything to you, or just explicitly lay out what the new EP is about, you’d only be disappointed. You don’t really want to know. The experience of grappling with the thing is what makes it interesting, not the immediate gratification of going, “Oh, that’s what it means.”"
    Related to this, I honestly feel like the whole point of the EP's/Trilogy was about making music interesting and challenging in terms of there being no clear answers. I mean, we're still trying to figure out Not The Actual Events and such and really give our time and appreciation to the music which is what makes music more fun and meaningful in the end. Like Trent was a superfan of Bowie, Pink Floyd etc he's trying to give us music that brings out the NIN superfan in us.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    I'm out of the collecting phase of my fandom.
    I've been feeling a little guilty that I'm no longer in my collecting phase either. I've been a little hermit crab lately, moving all over the bay area and had to downsize a lot of what I own. While I haven't given up anything from my collection, I haven't accumulated anything new either and my collections remain tightly sealed in a few boxes. This isn't just with NIN, but with my other favorite bands as well. I miss the thrill of collecting, but it's also a bit freeing not being bogged down by stuff. Streaming music has also helped quiet down my collector side. The last physical release I've purchased from any band was Add Violence. And I've replaced a few worn and torn NIN shirts/sweaters with a couple of new ones from the tour. But I don't have the super urge to buy one of everything anymore.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm Not From This World should have had spoken word lyrics or muffled, shouted lyrics in the background. It's a tremendous track but it's IMO unsettling to not hear TR's voice for basically 9 minutes on a 30-minute record.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    God Break Down the Door is the best Nine Inch Nails single as of late . It's refreshing and sounds like a BEAST live. I love it. I liked Came Back Haunted just fine, but that David Lynch video made me enjoy it more since how bizarre and creepy it is.

Quote Originally Posted by AThousandDaysBefore View Post
    I'm not a big fan of year zero album, I think i hate a little that album (Meet your master, The great destroyer, Me I''m not, Warning, Vessel)
    I really like the song everything
    You're not alone. Year Zero is just one I hardly ever love to revisit.

Hell, Everything may be one of my favorite tracks off Hesitation Marks.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Yeah, I can kinda see from the heavy down votes for GBDTD on YouTube and the hate for Everything on here that sometimes people just hate NIN for not "sounding like NIN." For me, that's often my favorite NIN. I love GBDTD and Everything really grew on me along with all of HM, which didn't really win me over for quite a few listens. Most of it isn't immediate music, despite the beats

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    Yeah, I can kinda see from the heavy down votes for GBDTD on YouTube and the hate for Everything on here that sometimes people just hate NIN for not "sounding like NIN." For me, that's often my favorite NIN. I love GBDTD and Everything really grew on me along with all of HM, which didn't really win me over for quite a few listens. Most of it isn't immediate music, despite the beats
    Eh, GBDTD only has 7% downvotes on YT as of today. Also, I love Everything.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaSarahS View Post
    I miss the thrill of collecting, but it's also a bit freeing not being bogged down by stuff.
    I get where you're coming from. I'm trying really hard to cut down on my "things" (and not buy new stuff)--way too much time spent managing/caring for stuff. I've been doing really good too in every category, except NIN. I bought way too much in Vegas. I feel like I fell of the wagon so to speak. But, it made/makes me happy so there's that.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinspots View Post
    I get where you're coming from. I'm trying really hard to cut down on my "things" (and not buy new stuff)--way too much time spent managing/caring for stuff. I've been doing really good too in every category, except NIN. I bought way too much in Vegas. I feel like I fell of the wagon so to speak. But, it made/makes me happy so there's that.
    You made the right decision then! Not to get too off topic, but when I was decluttering, I followed the KonMari method. Keep everything that gives you a spark of joy and throw away/donate the rest. Made decision making way easier.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Is it controversial to say I’m waiting til tomorrow and haven’t listened to the leak?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Come_Reptile View Post
    Is it controversial to say I’m waiting til tomorrow and haven’t listened to the leak?
    i have my official download and i'm still waiting until i can listen to the vinyl because i'm that person.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Am I alone in this opinion?: Ahead of Ourselves is one of the most shitty song Trent ever put out. The vocal effects are just bad. Choruis could be interesting but is lacking something. All set on a generic rythm, which lacks passion.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i have my official download and i'm still waiting until i can listen to the vinyl because i'm that person.
    I waited for NTAE and AV vinyl to show before listening to the WAV purchases but this time I didn't. The vinyl has tended to sound quieter than the WAVs for the last two so I didn't feel bad diving right in before the physical showed up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ParaGun View Post
    Am I alone in this opinion?: Ahead of Ourselves is one of the most shitty song Trent ever put out. The vocal effects are just bad. Choruis could be interesting but is lacking something. All set on a generic rythm, which lacks passion.
    It's by far my favorite on the whole trilogy

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Burning Bright is my least favorite track on the trilogy.
    Don't get me wrong: I LIKE it.
    I just like the other 15 better.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I don't get the urge to make own "trilogy" playlists... like, do you edit also your favourite movies to flow "better"? :-p

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    I don't get the urge to make own "trilogy" playlists... like, do you edit also your favourite movies to flow "better"? :-p
    I just find it interesting to make something that may flow as a singular narrative, especially since these EPs were designed to work in that fashion. Sometimes it's fun to play with how malleable art can be for your own pleasure.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I just find it interesting to make something that may flow as a singular narrative, especially since these EPs were designed to work in that fashion. Sometimes it's fun to play with how malleable art can be for your own pleasure.
    my problem is that many of the tracks segue into one another, and without having multitracks, it's hard to retain the flow of certain things.

i'll just be over here listening to the trilogy in reverse chronological order, but album order within that structure.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    my problem is that many of the tracks segue into one another, and without having multitracks, it's hard to retain the flow of certain things.
    Actually, I was surprised at how many tracks don't crossfade into others across all three EPs. The only ones I can think of are This Isn't The Place into Not Anymore and God Break Down The Door into I'm Not From This World, both of which I kept in my rearrangement just for the sake of saving those connections. The rest can pretty much stand on their own and lead into different tracks without sounding too odd. I'm not trying to toot my own horn or anything. I'm just saying that I happened to find a blend that works for me and sounds good overall.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I've been listening to bootlegs a lot lately since buying Roon and finally have a NAS drive to put all of the gigs of NIN on and in going through 2009 shows, I got to "Reptile" from the 8/25/09 Terminal 5 show with Peter Murphy...

I fucking hate his voice. And if his voice wasn't already bad enough, he's been fucking up the lyrics the entire song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I could do without the "Only Time" break in the closing section of Closer live. It was cool for a while, but the more time goes on, the more I feel like the last few minutes of Closer (after the second chorus) is one of my favorite musical pieces of all time.

All Time Low is almost a top-tier NIN song but gets brought down by it's outro. I seldom have the patience to sit through that entire outro.

The real weak link on HM isn't Everything, it's Running. The chorus bores me, and the outro does the exact same, which breaks up an otherwise stellar closing section to that album. Unless I'm purposely going through the entire album, I usually skip it.

Head Down is underrated, I love everything about that song, especially the live version.

The Line Begins to Blur deserves way more love as well.