Page 105 of 160 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 103 104 105 106 107 115 155 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,150 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    My only real problem with THTF is that it's become such a predictable sign that the main set is almost over at live shows, and it's typically the only song used to represent With Teeth, an album that's been fairly neglected live ever since they came back from Wave Goodbye save for special occasions. I've been to 5 shows and have still never heard anything other than Hand That Feeds from it, it's insane. It gets the crowd going, everybody casual or diehard (or even oblivious at a festival) knows it and can sing along and I get that for Trent, it represents proof that he had it in him to still connect with audiences post-sobriety, so it's got to be great, but it's a shame when it feels like that's the only song from With Teeth that gets a lot of live love.

Less Than is the best "radio-friendly" NIN song since Head Like a Hole. It hits all the poppier notes and tropes of that side of NIN from the last thirteen years but manages to be interesting, exciting and propulsive all the way to the very end (whereas a song like Came Back Haunted starts out strong as hell, is ripping with atmosphere, and then wears itself out in the end by repeating the chorus way too many times). I always thought I didn't care for radio NIN as much but that song is proof there's a legitimate place for it amongst the other, weirder stuff, and a song like The Lovers is way better by immediately following something that digestible.

I think Not So Pretty Now is totally fine and don't know why it draws so much angst from people when it doesn't take up any space on any studio albums and always came off as a way to keep the energy up during live sets.

I think Bad Witch is going to be the most divisive thing he's done this century among fans and I think it'll be fantastically different from what came before it and am not looking forward to the amount of people that will write it off as being bad right off the bat rather than giving it some time to process and contextualize. The instant reaction culture of hard opinions has been a terrible thing for art in general and I hate having the feeling that it's going to really impact how a lot of fans approach BW.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    There are 3 kinds of NIN songs: Amazing, Good, and Utter Garbage.

God Break Down The Door is Utter Garbage. My feelings on this won’t change, as I’ve had to listen to it over a dozen times to confirm them. There is no real depth or trail-worn haunted damage to Trent’s voice in this song. He sounds like he’s putting on a voice without actually feeling anything. Like Justin Timberlake trying to sing a convincing cover of a Tom Waits song.

You sing like Bowie or Dylan or Lou Reed when you’re 70-something....

i think Trent just doesn’t have the depth of experienxe necessary to sing in this way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Newman View Post

God Break Down The Door is Utter Garbage. My feelings on this won’t change, as I’ve had to listen to it over a dozen times to confirm them. There is no real depth or trail-worn haunted damage to Trent’s voice in this song. He sounds like he’s putting on a voice without actually feeling anything. Like Justin Timberlake trying to sing a convincing cover of a Tom Waits song.

i think Trent just doesn’t have the depth of experienxe necessary to sing in this way.
    lol. “Trent just doesn’t have the depth of experience to sing in this way?”

Victor Newman doesn’t have the depth of exeperience to have any fucking idea what Trent can or cannot do musically.
    Youre literally talking about one of the greatest musicians breathing today.

If he made or sang a song a certain way. It was an artistic choice you dingbat.

Having heard two more songs off Bad Witch already, I think those of us that heard them at the Presale listening station will agree that, there’s more than meets the eye when it comes to God Break Down The Door.

This record is a lot heavier and a lot deeper than you realize.
    Last edited by Buzz; 05-21-2018 at 10:34 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Yes; Bowie waited until he was in his 60s to sing with a slight vibrato from his chest and Dylan made only instrumental albums until the late 2000s. If you fluctuate the volume of your voice and don't sing from the neck up ya gotta be elderly or it's gonna sound unauthentic. And god knows if you're 10 years away from being a senior citizen ya don't have enough life experience, ya fuckin' 53 year old kids!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    Yes; Bowie waited until he was in his 60s to sing with a slight vibrato from his chest and Dylan made only instrumental albums until the late 2000s. If you fluctuate the volume of your voice and don't sing from the neck up ya gotta be elderly or it's gonna sound unauthentic. And god knows if you're 10 years away from being a senior citizen ya don't have enough life experience, ya fuckin' 53 year old kids!
    Seeing people make comments like that drives me insane.

Hey Victor... Trent Reznor plays and can write relevant music for about 25 or more different instruments.
    He’s got dozens of his own records and production or composer credits on a hundred more.
    He built a successful music business from nothing spanning 3 decades.
    Hes got just about every fucking music award we give out in the US.

And I can tell by your comment that you don’t even play a (singular) instrument.

Basically, you’re in no place to judge whether or not Trent Reznor has “the experience” to do anything of a musical nature.

If Trent was looking for a guy to teach him how to shoot his mouth off about shit he doesn’t know anything about.... you’d be right at the top of the list.

you can probably tell that I love this thread.
    Last edited by Buzz; 05-21-2018 at 11:02 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Seeing people make comments like that drives me insane.

Hey Victor... Trent Reznor plays and can write relevant music for about 25 or more different instruments.
    He’s got dozens of his own records and production or composer credits on a hundred more.
    He built a successful music business from nothing.
    Hes got just about every fucking music award we give out in the US.

And I can tell by your comment that you don’t even play a (singular) instrument.

Basically, you’re in no place to judge whether or not Trent Reznor has “the experience” to do anything of a musical nature.

If Trent was looking for a guy to teach him how to shoot his mouth off about shit he doesn’t know anything about.... you’d be right at the top of the list.
    Oh yeah, I was definitely being sarcastic. I have no fucking idea what that guy was talking about. I mean, I get saying you don't like a track but saying "Trent doesn't have the life experience" to sing with vibrato is so idiotic, almost like Quantum550's legendary comments.

Maybe he wants Trent to come back here and insult him?

Also, each EP has at least one track on it that I've listened to an ungodly number of times. So far GBDTD is that track from BW for me (but I am pretty sure Ahead of Ourselves will be a second).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Oh yeah, I was definitely being sarcastic. I have no fucking idea what that guy was talking about.

Maybe he wants Trent to come back here and insult him?

Also, each EP has at least one track on it that I've listened to an ungodly number of times. So far GBDTD is that track from BW for me (but I am pretty sure Ahead of Ourselves will be a second).
    absolutely meant Victor and could sense your sarcasm.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm too tired to do another "Dear Diary, I'm VIctor Newman and I'm a negative asshole" post at the moment, so I'll do it tomorrow. Stop being dumb for the next 12 hours or so, please. Help a dude out.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

The quiet version of The Day The World Went Away should have been the album version and the album version should have been released as a remix on the single.

Edit: This never occurred to me until the quiet version was put on the original instrumental version of The Fragile that was on Apple Music for a bit instead of the album version. I wonder if it was ever considered for the album originally?
    Last edited by Pbgut; 05-22-2018 at 02:06 AM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    At least he can spell experience.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    With the exception of Less Than (which I do like for what it is),
    THIS. Less Than gets a lot of flack for being the obvious "this song is gonna be the single guys!" Nonetheless, it does it brilliantly. Yeah, it's formulaic, but damn if the formula hasn't been refined well. So I like the song a lot, but also recognize that it sort of fits a poppy rocky niche.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    For the record, I love "Your world, that is...".
    For the record, I can't hear that lyric and not think of a Janeane Garofalo-looking hipster beat-poet chick gratuitously adjusting her chunky glasses as she reads that line and everybody in the room murmurs with stale-orgasmic approval and vigorously snaps their fingers because they ​get it man...
    Last edited by GentlemanLoser; 06-04-2018 at 11:54 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I like the new song mostly but I think Victor is right. Trent's singing sounds like an imitation in this song more than it sounds like him executing something on his own.

The dogpiling on that opinion is a little strange to me because we are in the "Controversial Opinions thread." So. Yeah. One guy up there is getting snarky about a typo? Way to show him who's boss.

I don't think you need a wide range of practiced musical knowledge to know the range of what Trent Reznor has done with his voice and how that's different than other singers. And that's why he's also kind of right there, which is to say that Trent Reznor hasn't covered a lot of ground with his voice. And keep in mind that there are some songs that haven't been performed live specifically because of some vocal challenges.

That's not a bad thing, and in the new single he's trying to punch above his weight, and even though it doesn't land all the way I think the whole is better than the sum of it's parts.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Controversial opinion: anyone who outright demands that a song be removed from an album, or that a singer hasn't earned the right to sing a certain way, is a privileged moron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I like the lyric "now I'm slipping on the tears you made me cry" on phm simply because it makes me laugh. every.single.time. but also I don't mind lyrics that are melodramatic and a bit hilarious, especially when they're 80s/90's -esque. XD

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I’m guessing @Jon was more referring to the buying of merchandise?...

And I agree to an extent. Some recent posts were “while I was standing in line for 6 hours I picked up a $50 poster, t shirt for $80, hoodie for $150, etc.”. I was never a huge collector, but did my fair share. I’d buy it and it would end up just sitting in a drawer or closet forever. Just not into that aspect of NIN (or any band really) at this stage of life I guess. It shouldn’t make us “bad” fans though.
    Yeah. I wasn't super thrilled at the idea of a "special surprise" being the opportunity to buy MORE expensive shit.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I like the new song mostly but I think Victor is right. Trent's singing sounds like an imitation in this song more than it sounds like him executing something on his own.

The dogpiling on that opinion is a little strange to me because we are in the "Controversial Opinions thread."
    People unloaded on the guy because what he said wasn't an opinion, it was factually incorrect.

Trent Reznor is a hugely talented individual, respected even amongst his peers, spearheading entire genres of music and bringing others into the mainstream. He's won multiple awards, has been releasing music for over 30 years, and continues to push the boundaries to this day. Whatever he does, whatever he says, he does so for a reason. Of course we're all only human; none of us are infallible. I haven't heard the song yet so I can't really comment on that, but seriously, to say that this man "doesn't have doesn’t have the depth of experienxe" is profoundly, absurdly ignorant.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    And who gives a shit about experience. It's art, do whatever you want how you want it and it will speak to people or not. Main reason why I love 100% of NINs discography. Even the most "commercial" song is an expression of a part of Trent, and I appreciate it for that. The only important thing is the music and the minds of the artists in relation to it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    The quiet version of The Day The World Went Away should have been the album version and the album version should have been released as a remix on the single.

Edit: This never occurred to me until the quiet version was put on the original instrumental version of The Fragile that was on Apple Music for a bit instead of the album version. I wonder if it was ever considered for the album originally?
    Yes it's pretty great. Though the wrath of the guitars is missing, and that's an important part for me. Also, what do you think of the Porter Ricks remix ? Still confused a bit about that one.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    If we're including remixes in our "worst nin songs" list, for me, it's gotta be that God awful house remix of Capital G.
    You know, the "drop drop drop drop drop drop...the bomb" thing. Dear god, that one is like a fucking joke.

As far as original NIN tracks, I've gotta say that I find pretty much all of them to be at least reasonable, but I do have some "least favorites." I don't like "THTF" and it's not JUST due to fatigue. I've never dug Only that much. HLAH is my least favorite song on PHM ( and broken and fixed.)
    I've never been too big on Big Man With a Gun: the lyrics are just too rough, sarcastic or not. Sadly, I REALLY don't like the verses of Everything. I wish trent COULD make music like that and have it work, and hell, maybe he can: Echoplex was pretty upbeat, but yeah, I know it's cliche at this point, but I just don't like that sound out of NIN.

As for fatigue, at this point I wouldn't care if I never heard Wish, Closer, Hurt, Down in it, or MOTP again.

Up until recently, I would have included ALL of TDS in that list, and at different times, it's been all of EVERY nin album. I have to take like five year breaks now and then.
    Usually the NIN that I'm listening to is the newest.
    @kleiner352 , I think you were really onto something about the way music is consumed nowadays: case in point, I didn't like NTAE too much at first and now I really dig it.

I'm also expecting Bad Witch to be very divisive, but from what I've heard, I think I'm going to love it. I mean, heaviness and chaos with SAXOPHONE? It's a fucking trip. From what I heard at the listening station, it sounds like this thing is going to be insanely experimental and turn us on to a different kind of "heavy" nin.

Oh, and Year Zero, paired with the ARG, was one of the coolest things I've ever experienced. And it's also one of my favorite NIN records.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Yeah. I wasn't super thrilled at the idea of a "special surprise" being the opportunity to buy MORE expensive shit.
    Probably because the special surprise was a listening station with two new songs on it... not a merch station. :eyeroll:

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Probably because the special surprise was a listening station with two new songs on it... not a merch station. :eyeroll:
    That's obviously not what I was talking about man.
    I was talking about the special venue specific t shirts and such.
    But I feel where you're coming from.
    There were a lot of cool things about this weekend; perhaps I'm a little sour because I've been dealing with some other, non related shit.
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-22-2018 at 07:11 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    That's obviously not what I was talking about man.
    I was talking about the special venue specific t shirts and such.
    But I feel where you're coming from.
    There were a lot of cool things about this weekend; perhaps I'm a little sour because I've been dealing with some other, non related shit.
    nothing special about a merch station elevenism.

That was curated by Trent’s business folks. Just doing their job.

The real “special surprise” was this.

feel better with the non related shit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    What kills me about Newman’s comment is that Trent isn’t just doing his best Dean Martin or David Bowie impersonation on God Break Down The Door.

Theres at at least one vocal preamp on there.
    His vocals have been adjusted for pitch, speed, orientation and more.

Its like I said. It was a choice, made to fit in a larger puzzle.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    nothing special about a merch station elevenism.

That was curated by Trent’s business folks. Just doing their job.

The real “special surprise” was this.

feel better with the non related shit.
    interesting: I don't think there was a sign in Denver. It was just a big stereo with headphones under a tent.

I nearly knocked it over; I thought the fucking thing that held the tent up was some kind of button that did something, and I pressed it and the tentpole started coming apart, hahahaha. I'm glad I figured out how to fix it in a hurry. Then I walked off like I meant to do it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What kills me about Newman’s comment is that Trent isn’t just doing his best Dean Martin or David Bowie impersonation on God Break Down The Door.

Theres at at least one vocal preamp on there.
    His vocals have been adjusted for pitch, speed, orientation and more.

Its like I said. It was a choice, made to fit in a larger puzzle.
    Much like the "Zoo Station" cover, used a different singing style, still under the NIN banner and not TR.

You hear the vocals and straight away you know who's voice it is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas W Jefford View Post
    Much like the "Zoo Station" cover, used a different singing style, still under the NIN banner and not TR.

You hear the vocals and straight away you know who's voice it is.

Except this is an original song, not a U2 cover. But yes. Programmed in similar fashion but for different reasons.

The echo preamp is most apparent to my ear at 2:33. And I was able to pick out a couple of the speed corrections as well.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    Yes it's pretty great. Though the wrath of the guitars is missing, and that's an important part for me. Also, what do you think of the Porter Ricks remix ? Still confused a bit about that one.
    I didn't really enjoy the Porter Ricks remix as a teen when it first came out. But it's basically the only avant garde, WTF, super experimental kind of remix of the Fragile era to me (whereas TDS had plenty), so I appreciate it for that. It does basically sound like a slightly dancier track from their Biokinetics album, so I understand it a bit more in the context of their own sound, which I didn't hear until many years later.

In general I was a little let down by the Fragile era remixes (I thought some of the most interesting ones were released on NIN.com, and they should have made a full length version of that New Flesh/Untitled remix on the site), and was kind of bummed there wasn't a single Coil remix in that era. But Quiet was great. As far as the guitar wrath, there's plenty of that in SD and The Wretched, so I feel like I could do without it if they'd been swapped. (shrug)
    Last edited by Pbgut; 05-22-2018 at 09:21 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    There oughta be a new thread :

Suck My Entire Cock - The Quantum550 Edition

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Except this is an original song, not a U2 cover. But yes. Programmed in similar fashion but for different reasons.

The echo preamp is most apparent to my ear at 2:33. And I was able to pick out a couple of the speed corrections as well.
    when you say "echo preamp" what do you mean? an echo effect isn't generated by a pre-amp. do you mean an effect/plug-in? because those are very different things.

also, how can you tell there are "speed corrections", and what did your comment about the vocals being adjusted for "orientation" mean?

like, i'm an audio engineer and i'm really confused right now.