Page 100 of 160 FirstFirst ... 50 90 98 99 100 101 102 110 150 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 3,000 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    This is like my Holy Grail of NIN records. Anything remixed by DFA is just so good, and it bothers me endlessly that I still don't have Version II.
    I have a copy of version II somewhere on my computer at home. I can't remember if it's in FLAC or not, but it MIGHT be. I can look for it later and might be able to hook you up...

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    it really makes the track decent.
    Yeah, this way, I think, it neatly fits in a sequence with their other remixes from that era... the Goldfrapp, Unkle, Hot Chip, JSBX, Gorillaz, whathaveyou ones. You know, long extended versions that go on and on just slowly building and buildingy amazing synthwork upon synthwork. God, I love that stuff.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Do not get me wrong though, there are good remixes to be found. Like some of the actual Trent Reznor 'specials' on the now dead 'remix.nin.com" website. And i have my own remixes on soundcloud which i like. So saying that all remixes are bad is something which i can not do. I just do not like anything on the actual released albums, which also are available on Spotify.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    - "Please" is so underrated
    - I know "A Violet Fluid" is one of the most disliked songs, but something about that beat is so badass and sinister. I always listen to it while working out.
    Last edited by Ribbitman; 02-17-2018 at 05:16 PM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbitman View Post
    - I know "A Violet Fluid" is one of the most disliked songs, but something about that beat is so badass and sinister. I always listen to it while working out.
    I don't dislike it at all, I just wish it was longer and more fully realized.
    Last edited by piggy; 02-17-2018 at 08:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Head Like A Hole (Copper) is the best version of HLAH.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

One reason for Reznor's musical genius that I can understand; his ability to convince and instruct musicians to play his idiosyncratic music. Watch and listen! ...and wonder WTF.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Always loved this peak behind the scenes. Forgot about it. Thanks for posting it @SarahConnor

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahConnor View Post

One reason for Reznor's musical genius that I can understand; his ability to convince and instruct musicians to play his idiosyncratic music. Watch and listen! ...and wonder WTF.
    Good lord that video never gets old. One of my faves, and JLYI is a masterpiece. <3

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    It's probably the best song NIN ever made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I don't...really? I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.
    alright then lol

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    TR should've just broke the bank and kept Pino post-Tension.

I'd also be willing to argue for Lisa Fischer & Sharlotte Gibson too.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    So, you're sincere here? I'm genuinely trying to figure this out. Do I need to go back and more closely examine "Copper"? I would get if someone claimed "Opal" were the apotheosis of "Head"—it's super distinct and, if that particular audio idiom were more your jam, then that claim would be totally legit (although still probably controversial for some). Outside of "Opal," in fact, the "Head" remixes sort of scan to me like characters in a very well-conceived police lineup that leaves me totally unsure which person might actually be the individual I"m supposed to finger. They all sort of look like the guy that mugged me, officers.
    Copper (and Slate) both have that weirdly melodic, almost cheerful alternate synth bassline that makes HLAH sound like a lost synthpop classic rather than the more "menacing" bassline in the original and on the Clay remix. It's an interesting variation. I get it. I remember being very surprised at how catchy and accessible it seemed when I heard it as a kid. I wonder if it would have been even more successful with the "catchier" bassline (probably not) for the original.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I fucking love "A Violet Fluid"—even the name delights me. But I too wish it were extended. Or even featured some muttered lyrics, a la the bridge of "10 Miles High" or maybe like an intelligible version of "999,999." Or it was featured somewhere in a context, in the manner of an interlude on The Fragile or something.
    Are you familiar with a band called How To Destroy Angels? Check out their track called Speaking In Tongues...

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    Are you familiar with a band called How To Destroy Angels? Check out their track called Speaking In Tongues...
    vaguely...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'd never seen this before. Wonderful! Thank you!
    That actually surprises me. It's great!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    Copper (and Slate) both have that weirdly melodic, almost cheerful alternate synth bassline that makes HLAH sound like a lost synthpop classic rather than the more "menacing" bassline in the original and on the Clay remix. It's an interesting variation. I get it. I remember being very surprised at how catchy and accessible it seemed when I heard it as a kid. I wonder if it would have been even more successful with the "catchier" bassline (probably not) for the original.
    i had forgotten how interesting copper is. i like it.

also, had no idea it had its own variation of the music video. where did you find it, @imail724 ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm sick of Nine Inch Nails-fans "discovering" "hidden" "ARG-references", digging through them and creating little spreadsheets and graphics, not arriving at any solutions whatsoever at all and then posting their pointless efforts "in case somebody else see's something they missed".

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post

also, had no idea it had its own variation of the music video. where did you find it, @imail724 ?

Well I discovered its existence in an episode of Beavis and Butt-Head:

After that I went hunting it down and really don't remember where I found it. I think someone on here sent me a dvd with all of the music videos on it, but that's gotta be close to 10 years ago now.

There's a video for the Shred remix of Down In It too:

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Head Like A Hole (Copper) is the best version of HLAH.
    I love that single/record. SLATE, COPPER, OPAL!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    ^ Opal was almost was ahead of its time for NIN... kind of a drum and bass tease.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This 'version/remix' is still my favourite 'version/remix'.

Ruiner (Version)

Running Time: 5:35
    This remix is only available on the UK import (i.e. V2) of Further Down The Spiral. Throughout, there are glitch effects splicing up Reznor's voice. The fast verses, switched in order, are louder and clearer than the studio version. As well, the synthesizer chorus is replaced by a more guitar-driven one.
    Credits Remix: Charlie Clouser

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Head Like A Hole (Opal) and the "version" mixes from the Further Down the Spiral import rank in my top 10 NIN remixes.

I love these mixes so much that it infuriates me when young collectors post pictures of their "complete" CD collection and the Head Like A Hole & Further Down the Spiral imports are missing, but they always have all three WIIT singles. I guess that Porter Ricks remix is a must have, lol.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    TR shouldn't have put two instrumentals back-to-back on The Slip. They're cool songs individually, but it gives the second half of the album a strange vibe/energy that I'm not sure pays off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    NIN fandom since 2013 has been less exciting than any period before, including the 2009-13 hiatus.

I was amped for HM and Tension but the live experience just didn't feel the same; DVD no-show; '14 SG amphitheater tour routing was terrible (for those of us in the midwest, at least); spotty festival dates the last two years; vinyl-only re-releases; strung out EP releases; TR seems less engaging with the public (compared to, say, 2009, when he was positively bubbly on Twitter).

Maybe the bar was set so high in '09 with the energy and emotion of the farewell shows that...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    TR shouldn't have put two instrumentals back-to-back on The Slip. They're cool songs individually, but it gives the second half of the album a strange vibe/energy that I'm not sure pays off.
    I personally think the second half of the Slip is more interesting. I think "Letting You" and "1,000,000" are the weakest tracks in the entire NIN catalog.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    I've said it before, but that move has always reminded me of the way The Downward Spiral sequencing works. You have all this chaos that builds and builds before collapsing in on itself, allowing, for the briefest of moments, a chance to contemplate what is happening before the chaos begins to build again. It's not quite as powerful as it is on The Downward Spiral, but there's definitely a logic to it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Senateguard33 View Post
    I personally think the second half of the Slip is more interesting. I think "Letting You" and "1,000,000" are the weakest tracks in the entire NIN catalog.
    I agree. I don't really skip any tracks when listening to a NIN album, but those two I definitely get the urge to.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post

I remember this and the Down In It extended video being a bonus on a VHS bootleg of the Broken movie back in the 90s. My copy's videos seemed to be taped from a Canadian music channel (Much Music? something like that).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I agree. I don't really skip any tracks when listening to a NIN album, but those two I definitely get the urge to.
    Don't get me wrong, all! I find many of the songs on The Slip quite interesting, but I'm just talking about pacing. IMO there's too much time that passes without hearing Trent's voice on a vocal NIN album.