Page 108 of 108 FirstFirst ... 8 58 98 106 107 108
Results 3,211 to 3,215 of 3215

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Judging by many comments I'm going to assume perhaps it's slightly controversial but...

With Teeth is one of my favourite NIN releases

I'm not sure, but I think it's the time in my life when it came out, mixed with the first times I ever got to see NIN live was on that tour. Life was so chaotic with a lot of big changes, moving in with girlfriend at the time, new apartment, very stressful situation with work and family life, sort of a new chapter for me back then. I had always loved Nine Inch Nails since the first time I heard Closer when it was released when I was a little kid, and then of course later with The Fragile... but I sort of didn't follow what was happening with NIN much after that, even though I was listening all the time. Then I heard the local station was playing the latest single and I was hooked. Joined The Spiral and went head first into the 2nd wave of my obsession with NIN.

I also just love the sounds on that record, but over all it ranks very high for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    I think the naming scheme, along with the length of the album, makes a lot of Ghosts forgettable.
    I can seldom find the track I'm looking for whenever I want to revisit a specific song from Ghosts I-IV for these reasons. Which has the side-effect of making me listen to other tracks in my search, tracks that I might otherwise pass over if I had immediately gotten what I was looking for. I do wonder if this was part of the intent with regards to the track names, but I think this hypothesis is dubious.

Having all the track names be some variant on the title of the record is of course not a choice unique to this record. Though Ghosts I-IV is longer than the other records I can think of that do the same.

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Controversial NIN opinion:
    I think the naming scheme, along with the length of the album, makes a lot of Ghosts forgettable.
    i agree; however, i've been thinking of revisiting it. I haven't given it a proper listen in about eight years.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Ghosts was, and still is sort of (really good) background noise for me at times. The naming convention fits with that, but even so I think instrumentals have almost always been that way for me. I have the deluxe box set and love it, but rarely listen to it these days. Would more traditional names help with all that? Probably not, but I've thought about it before. It's all just sorta.... Ghosts, as one idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Trent's post-Fragile/Still composition skills really seemed to improve by the time The Slip and Ghosts were released. This is especially evident in the soundtrack work and How to Destroy Angels. I mean I like With Teeth and Year Zero, but some of that material seems kind of goofy to me compared to every release before and after that period. (Yes I know Discipline is on The Slip lol). Obviously, this next statement makes no fucking sense but, WT/YZ would make more sense to me if Trent Reznor had "solo" material that wasn't under the NIN moniker. Everything since The Slip has really hit the mark as to what NIN represents for me. If I were to make a playlist to show a person what NIN is all about, it is probably going include less songs from With Teeth and Year Zero than all the other albums. I really feel like most of Hesitation Marks and the last two EPs have been a wonderful representation of the NIN "spirit" I came to love as a teenager.