Page 101 of 116 FirstFirst ... 51 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,030 of 3458

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    The only THTF I cannot stand is DFA remix. That 46 minute promo disc should've never existed in the first place.
    This is like my Holy Grail of NIN records. Anything remixed by DFA is just so good, and it bothers me endlessly that I still don't have Version II.

Fixed was, if my memory is correct, the first NIN record I bought. Back c. 1993/4 it was the cheapest release available in local stores. The coil mix of Gave Up and the first mix of Happiness In Slavery remain favourites to this day. Further Down The Spiral was kind of a big deal at the time, but largely down to the appearance of Aphex Twin. Also, it was pretty cool that The Art Of Self Destruction turned up on a Levi's ad, although I'm not sure it got much air time.

We all know that Things Falling Apart was ruined by too much Starfuckers, although I do rather enjoy the Ogilvie mix. Should have just stuck the other two on the promo single. I can only assume that somebody somewhere had it in their head that this song should be a hit, but if that's the case how come it never received a proper single release? Odd.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Well, Starfuckers was still the most radio friendly song on TF (censored version ofc), and its music video also fit in the trends. It's sad that Trent abandoned it, but at least it had its live playtime, unlike half of With Teeth.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    Further Down The Spiral was kind of a big deal at the time, but largely down to the appearance of Aphex Twin. Also, it was pretty cool that The Art Of Self Destruction turned up on a Levi's ad, although I'm not sure it got much air time.
    Any idea who directed the Levi's commercial? "The Art of Self Destruction, Part One" was used in The Fan the same year.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    This is like my Holy Grail of NIN records. Anything remixed by DFA is just so good, and it bothers me endlessly that I still don't have Version II.
    I have a copy of version II somewhere on my computer at home. I can't remember if it's in FLAC or not, but it MIGHT be. I can look for it later and might be able to hook you up...

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    it really makes the track decent.
    Yeah, this way, I think, it neatly fits in a sequence with their other remixes from that era... the Goldfrapp, Unkle, Hot Chip, JSBX, Gorillaz, whathaveyou ones. You know, long extended versions that go on and on just slowly building and buildingy amazing synthwork upon synthwork. God, I love that stuff.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Do not get me wrong though, there are good remixes to be found. Like some of the actual Trent Reznor 'specials' on the now dead 'remix.nin.com" website. And i have my own remixes on soundcloud which i like. So saying that all remixes are bad is something which i can not do. I just do not like anything on the actual released albums, which also are available on Spotify.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    - "Please" is so underrated
    - I know "A Violet Fluid" is one of the most disliked songs, but something about that beat is so badass and sinister. I always listen to it while working out.
    Last edited by Ribbitman; 02-17-2018 at 05:16 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbitman View Post
    - I know "A Violet Fluid" is one of the most disliked songs, but something about that beat is so badass and sinister. I always listen to it while working out.
    I don't dislike it at all, I just wish it was longer and more fully realized.
    Last edited by piggy; 02-17-2018 at 08:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Head Like A Hole (Copper) is the best version of HLAH.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPvs73OQTAU

One reason for Reznor's musical genius that I can understand; his ability to convince and instruct musicians to play his idiosyncratic music. Watch and listen! ...and wonder WTF.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Always loved this peak behind the scenes. Forgot about it. Thanks for posting it @SarahConnor

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahConnor View Post

One reason for Reznor's musical genius that I can understand; his ability to convince and instruct musicians to play his idiosyncratic music. Watch and listen! ...and wonder WTF.
    Good lord that video never gets old. One of my faves, and JLYI is a masterpiece. <3

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    It's probably the best song NIN ever made.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    I don't...really? I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I don't...really? I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.
    alright then lol

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbitman View Post
    I fucking love "A Violet Fluid"—even the name delights me. But I too wish it were extended. Or even featured some muttered lyrics, a la the bridge of "10 Miles High" or maybe like an intelligible version of "999,999." Or it was featured somewhere in a context, in the manner of an interlude on The Fragile or something.

What I do goddamned loathe is "March of the Fuckheads." I've given that song a few chances a year for over two decades now and all I can say for it is that, at that rate, there's over three hours of my life that I will never get back that I could have spent—I don't know—tracking down stores that still sell Big League Chew or reading the Wikipedia pages for each of the years in the Twelfth Century or just violently masturbating. The point is, I really don't care for the track and the time I've spent trying to convince myself otherwise could have been better spent.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    alright then lol
    So, you're sincere here? I'm genuinely trying to figure this out. Do I need to go back and more closely examine "Copper"? I would get if someone claimed "Opal" were the apotheosis of "Head"—it's super distinct and, if that particular audio idiom were more your jam, then that claim would be totally legit (although still probably controversial for some). Outside of "Opal," in fact, the "Head" remixes sort of scan to me like characters in a very well-conceived police lineup that leaves me totally unsure which person might actually be the individual I"m supposed to finger. They all sort of look like the guy that mugged me, officers.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahConnor View Post

I'd never seen this before. Wonderful! Thank you!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    TR should've just broke the bank and kept Pino post-Tension.

I'd also be willing to argue for Lisa Fischer & Sharlotte Gibson too.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    So, you're sincere here? I'm genuinely trying to figure this out. Do I need to go back and more closely examine "Copper"? I would get if someone claimed "Opal" were the apotheosis of "Head"—it's super distinct and, if that particular audio idiom were more your jam, then that claim would be totally legit (although still probably controversial for some). Outside of "Opal," in fact, the "Head" remixes sort of scan to me like characters in a very well-conceived police lineup that leaves me totally unsure which person might actually be the individual I"m supposed to finger. They all sort of look like the guy that mugged me, officers.
    Copper (and Slate) both have that weirdly melodic, almost cheerful alternate synth bassline that makes HLAH sound like a lost synthpop classic rather than the more "menacing" bassline in the original and on the Clay remix. It's an interesting variation. I get it. I remember being very surprised at how catchy and accessible it seemed when I heard it as a kid. I wonder if it would have been even more successful with the "catchier" bassline (probably not) for the original.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I fucking love "A Violet Fluid"—even the name delights me. But I too wish it were extended. Or even featured some muttered lyrics, a la the bridge of "10 Miles High" or maybe like an intelligible version of "999,999." Or it was featured somewhere in a context, in the manner of an interlude on The Fragile or something.
    Are you familiar with a band called How To Destroy Angels? Check out their track called Speaking In Tongues...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Are you familiar with a band called How To Destroy Angels? Check out their track called Speaking In Tongues...
    vaguely...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'd never seen this before. Wonderful! Thank you!
    That actually surprises me. It's great!

Mentioned
    350 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    Copper (and Slate) both have that weirdly melodic, almost cheerful alternate synth bassline that makes HLAH sound like a lost synthpop classic rather than the more "menacing" bassline in the original and on the Clay remix. It's an interesting variation. I get it. I remember being very surprised at how catchy and accessible it seemed when I heard it as a kid. I wonder if it would have been even more successful with the "catchier" bassline (probably not) for the original.
    i had forgotten how interesting copper is. i like it.

also, had no idea it had its own variation of the music video. where did you find it, @imail724 ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm sick of Nine Inch Nails-fans "discovering" "hidden" "ARG-references", digging through them and creating little spreadsheets and graphics, not arriving at any solutions whatsoever at all and then posting their pointless efforts "in case somebody else see's something they missed".

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i had forgotten how interesting copper is. i like it.

also, had no idea it had its own variation of the music video. where did you find it, @imail724 ?

Well I discovered its existence in an episode of Beavis and Butt-Head:

After that I went hunting it down and really don't remember where I found it. I think someone on here sent me a dvd with all of the music videos on it, but that's gotta be close to 10 years ago now.

There's a video for the Shred remix of Down In It too:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I love that single/record. SLATE, COPPER, OPAL!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    ^ Opal was almost was ahead of its time for NIN... kind of a drum and bass tease.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This 'version/remix' is still my favourite 'version/remix'.

Ruiner (Version)

Running Time: 5:35
    This remix is only available on the UK import (i.e. V2) of Further Down The Spiral. Throughout, there are glitch effects splicing up Reznor's voice. The fast verses, switched in order, are louder and clearer than the studio version. As well, the synthesizer chorus is replaced by a more guitar-driven one.
    Credits Remix: Charlie Clouser

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Wow. I’d never listened to that song with “Violet Fluid” in mind. That was the quickest I’ve ever had a wish granted. Good call!