Page 54 of 160 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 56 64 104 154 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,620 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I can get behind that. Really strange to see how so many actually want HLAH and Hurt gone from the setlists, yet they have no problem with MOTP and Piggy.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Microwave Jellyfish View Post
    I can get behind that. Really strange to see how so many actually want HLAH and Hurt gone from the setlists, yet they have no problem with MOTP and Piggy.
    i swear, i don't even thing TRENT likes playing HLAH anymore.
    I'm tired of MOTP too. I don't want hurt removed from the setlist, i just can't handle the sinking feeling it gives me as the closer.
    And piggy (PLEASE don't hit me everyone) has always bored me live.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    We are all big NIN fans though. If someone who only has one or two NIN albums didn't hear HLAH or MotP live, they would be upset. NIN won't leave them off the setlist. Can we all stop talking about how NIN live staples are overplayed?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    i swear, i don't even thing TRENT likes playing HLAH anymore.
    I'm tired of MOTP too. I don't want hurt removed from the setlist, i just can't handle the sinking feeling it gives me as the closer.
    And piggy (PLEASE don't hit me everyone) has always bored me live.

That's the main thing. "oh, HLAH and Hurt, time to go home". If he opened with Hurt (weirdness aside) it would totally change things up. We wouldn't know what was happening next.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    That's the main thing. "oh, HLAH and Hurt, time to go home". If he opened with Hurt (weirdness aside) it would totally change things up. We wouldn't know what was happening next.
    it's funny you say that, the Mrs was suggesting that very thing last night.
    I think it would be awesome if they opened with closer and then went into hurt.

I went to see Rush one time and they opened with Tom Sawyer, which was awesome...it was like "if you're here for this, here it is...you can leave now if you like. we are going to play whatever the fuck we want now."

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Closer then hurt would be like starting the concert at full speed only to bring it to a screeching halt right at the second song, no ? Hurt would be a great intro, I agree, but its place is either at the very beginning, as a bridge in the middle of the show, or at the end of it. Anywhere else either kills the show dead in its tracks, or would render the emotional charge of Hurt completely powerless.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Closer then hurt would be like starting the concert at full speed only to bring it to a screeching halt right at the second song, no
    Yeah, you're right.
    Okay, intro with some nasty ass version of Closer from the closer to god EP.
    Play hurt as a bridge.
    Close with The Great Below followed by In This Twilight.

When i was at LITS, it was so fucking perfect, but it appeared that hurt would be the last song. I HATE it as the last song because it is SO FUCKING HOPELESS! It negates any positivity felt from the show (for me.)
    Then, they started playing ITT...and i admit, i cried tears of...IDK what...but not sad ones.
    Granted, ITT is kinda dark, but it has a LOT of positive lines, especially "we can find a better place."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Closer then hurt would be like starting the concert at full speed only to bring it to a screeching halt right at the second song, no ? Hurt would be a great intro, I agree, but its place is either at the very beginning, as a bridge in the middle of the show, or at the end of it. Anywhere else either kills the show dead in its tracks, or would render the emotional charge of Hurt completely powerless.
    For me, the only version of "Hurt" that maintains the substance the song intends to convey is the one that fades in directly after the "The Downward Spiral" (e.g. album version). In my opinion, this is the only way the song is as impacting as it needs to be.

If there were an ideal live version of "Hurt," it would be middle of the set (when TR tones it down for a few songs), TR playing a piano rendition of the song, one spotlight, with the only "heavy" part coming in for the final "...I will find a way" portion (drums/guitar/abrasive lights). It looks and sounds marvelous in my head, but I would love to see this happen in reality.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    I wish they would start playing the Ghost Piggy again!
    The phrase "Ghost Piggy" just makes me think of this.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Make the ending less predictable is my basic point. I don't care how. I just want that last 10 minutes of gig to be more exciting rather than planning my dinner that night.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    The phrase "Ghost Piggy" just makes me think of this.

What is that lol?

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    Make the ending less predictable is my basic point. I don't care how. I just want that last 10 minutes of gig to be more exciting rather than planning my dinner that night.
    Make the whole thing completely unpredictable! @icklekitty , you've been around a long time. that's what you really want, isn't it?
    i know that casual fans would be pissed if they didn't get the songs they recognized, but good god, wouldn't it be incredible to hear trent play a different set EVERY NIGHT?
    You know, that's what pearl jam does.

Some bands do shit like that and some bands don't. My parents went to see bowie when he was doing the tin machine thing and they ONly played songs off the tin machine album (which was a nasty permutation of grunge rock with, of course, Bowie at the helm.)

Like i said earlier about the lights...i hope trent made an obscene amount of money with the beats deal. I want him to be able to do WHATEVER HE WANTS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    What is that lol?
    Monkey Island

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Sorry @botley . My knowledge of old school videogames failed me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    AVOTT is boring, one of my least favorite tracks on YZ.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I've just been reading the MTV v-jay Kennedy's book on the nineties and she says that Madonna was leaving messages at Nothing Studios for a collaboration I assume but Trent would never respond with some bollocks excuse - anyway my controversial opinion is that I'm FAR more intrigued as to what that would sound like than Tapeworm which I never really cared about ever

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    ^Apparently she wanted him to work on the Ray of Light album, which would have been AMAZE.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I think TR should have given up on NIN and stayed with HTDA. Mostly because I think his voice is shot and he should use Mariqueen as the lead vocalist for new material going forward.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I don't really like the song And All That Could Have Been. To me, the song never really takes off and feels like it plods along.
    Also, the way the line "I could have been!" was sung makes me cringe. It sounds so forced and weak.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I've just been reading the MTV v-jay Kennedy's book on the nineties and she says that Madonna was leaving messages at Nothing Studios for a collaboration I assume but Trent would never respond with some bollocks excuse - anyway my controversial opinion is that I'm FAR more intrigued as to what that would sound like than Tapeworm which I never really cared about ever
    Mid 90s Madonna was cool. That would have been an awesome collab. Someone needs to mashup Human Nature with Closer.
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    I think TR should have given up on NIN and stayed with HTDA. Mostly because I think his voice is shot and he should use Mariqueen as the lead vocalist for new material going forward.
    That is controversial.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This is controversial, but I agree with it. I think he really wanted to end NIN after the 2009 shows. But HTDA wasn't as exciting as NIN... I don't think so either... But it was a great idea to start again after all these years, with a new band. His voice is not the issue.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I think TR should have given up on NIN and stayed with HTDA. Mostly because I think his voice is shot
    I'd been thinking that during NIN's hiatus, but Trent seems to have found a new larynx since the Wave Goodbye tour. Hesitation Marks' singing is strong and varied, and throughout the tour cycle he's sounded better than he has since Fragility. My (controversial?) opinion.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Disagree on the voice thing

I generally agree I'd like to see more HTDA

BUT… I'm much happier with the possibility of Hesitation Marks as a last statement from NIN than The Slip. I love both, but HM is fucking killer and up there in the NIN pantheon

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkė View Post
    This is controversial, but I agree with it. I think he really wanted to end NIN after the 2009 shows. But HTDA wasn't as exciting as NIN... I don't think so either... But it was a great idea to start again after all these years, with a new band. His voice is not the issue.
    I don't think it was that HTDA was less exciting(for him) as much as it was Columbia telling him he'd make more money releasing music under the NIN moniker. But either way, he could/should have stuck with Mariqueen. But who knows, maybe she didn't want that.
    Last edited by HurtinMinorKey; 07-12-2014 at 05:11 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    WORD. erotica to bedtime stories to ray of light -- the best, most experimental era. some of my favorites (namely erotica).

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I don't think it was that HTDA was less exciting(for him) as much as it was Columbia telling him he'd make more money releasing music under the NIN moniker. But either way, he could/should have stuck with Mariqueen. But who knows, maybe she didn't want that.
    Who's to say he won't go right back to work on HTDA after this tour (and Gone Girl) are over? If anything, he seems determined to avoid boredom — after two soundtracks and 1.5 HTDA albums, it was time to do some NIN again. Not sure it's necessary to ascribe financial motives to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    WORD. erotica to bedtime stories to ray of light -- the best, most experimental era. some of my favorites (namely erotica).
    Bedtime Stories is the only Madonna album I ever bought — didn't regret it, either.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    it's fantastic and weird and all over the place genre-wise. not as groundbreaking as erotica, but an understated great record.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I'm putting Erotica and Ray of Light in my Spotify queue right now.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    Who's to say he won't go right back to work on HTDA after this tour (and Gone Girl) are over? If anything, he seems determined to avoid boredom — after two soundtracks and 1.5 HTDA albums, it was time to do some NIN again. Not sure it's necessary to ascribe financial motives to everything.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    I'd been thinking that during NIN's hiatus, but Trent seems to have found a new larynx since the Wave Goodbye tour. Hesitation Marks' singing is strong and varied, and throughout the tour cycle he's sounded better than he has since Fragility. My (controversial?) opinion.
    When we got back from the recent London show, my sister put the Beside You in Time DVD on and we both thought his voice sounds a lot stronger now than then. I wonder if it's because as time goes on more songs are added to the catalogue that suit his current voice more