Page 43 of 160 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 93 143 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    As far as lyrics go, I think David Byrne says it best:

"In a certain way, the SOUND of the words, the inflection and the way it's sung and the way it fits the melody, the way the syllables are on the tongue, that has as much meaning as the actual, literal words."
    Complexity is not always a sign of greatness in my opinion. Sure, it may show you're a master wordsmith, but if the song as a whole isn't affecting me in some way, then it doesn't matter how fancy your lyrics are.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    "too many urkels on your team, that's why your wins low" is the best lyric, ever, in all of time
    I would like to counter with:

Have you ever had sex with a pharaoh
    I put the pussy in a sarcophagus
    Now she claiming that I bruise her esophagus

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    Dude, this song's charm isn't in the lyrics. It's in the late night bus or train ride when there's barely any people around and the book has been finished but you don't want to fall asleep and just stare at the window trying to find focus between distant lights and tiny spots on glass. Tomorrow awaits, yesterday never returns...
    That's deep (deep, deep, deep, deep, deep).

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    And why are we bringing Kanye into this anyway? "In the french-ass restaurant. Hurry up with my damn croissants" is a level of poetry Trent (and the rest of us) can only dream of.
    When I first heard the album I kept rewinding it and playing that part back and couldn't stop laughing. Can't believe a grown, adult thought that would be a good line to have in a song. The other was the keep it 300 like the Romans part in Black Skinheads. Didn't anyone tell him it was Spartans? I don't see why he would do that on purpose.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    The other was the keep it 300 like the Romans part in Black Skinheads. Didn't anyone tell him it was Spartans? I don't see why he would do that on purpose.
    That's actually a reference to a baseball team. I'm not a sports person so I don't remember the details of it but I've heard it explained and it makes sense.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    That's actually a reference to a baseball team. I'm not a sports person so I don't remember the details of it but I've heard it explained and it makes sense.
    The one I heard was 300 in roman numerals was C.C.C which is also calm, cool, collected. But the whole point of 300 relating to antiquity is the Battle of Thermopylae, otherwise he could have said Spartan or Greek or whatever. I'll look into the sports thing. I only know hockey so it will be weird trying to find it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just to echo, I gave Yeezus a spin (a couple actually) even though I've never been a Kanye fan based on the abundant references to Nine Inch Nails that many reviews mentioned. Musically I thought it was really cool. But, I couldn't stand to listen to it due to the lyrics. I luckily can't cite any specific examples, however I actually felt a complete sensation of embarrassment while listening to it, even though I was completely alone.

I read a review about Yeezus somewhere, maybe with Rick Rubin, where he said Kanye had about half the record's worth of lyrics to finish in like, less than a day, and he ended up finishing them all on one plane ride, or something like that. Which I think that was supposed to illustrate how much of a genius Kanye is, but it was more of an "oooohhhhhhhhh, that makes sense" type revelation.

But yeah, musically it was pretty cool.

To the topic . . . I'm really sick of hearing Piggy live. I always feel like the portion of ticket money that goes toward that song is a complete waste. I like the song just fine on the record but live, it's run its course.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The one I heard was 300 in roman numerals was C.C.C which is also calm, cool, collected. But the whole point of 300 relating to antiquity is the Battle of Thermopylae, otherwise he could have said Spartan or Greek or whatever. I'll look into the sports thing. I only know hockey so it will be weird trying to find it
    I'm sorry, but I refuse to spend precious time deciphering Kanye West lyrics....haha.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeazor View Post
    I read a review about Yeezus somewhere, maybe with Rick Rubin, where he said Kanye had about half the record's worth of lyrics to finish in like, less than a day, and he ended up finishing them all on one plane ride, or something like that. Which I think that was supposed to illustrate how much of a genius Kanye is, but it was more of an "oooohhhhhhhhh, that makes sense" type revelation.
    hahahahahah I hadn't heard that but it seems reasonable. Give anyone a instrumental version of Yeezus and tell them to write lyrics on a long plane ride and they would end up roughly the same quality as Kanye's finished product.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Have you ever asked your bitch for other bitches?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    This is a rather amusing conversation seeing as how Kanye has cited Trent as one of his lyrical influences. http://m.pitchfork.com/news/39685-ne...-trent-reznor/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    This is a rather amusing conversation seeing as how Kanye has cited Trent as one of his lyrical influences. http://m.pitchfork.com/news/39685-ne...-trent-reznor/
    So that should immediately make me appreciate Kanye West and everything he does? Sometimes people claim certain figures as influences to entice opposing fanbases...not in all cases, but it's definitely a marketing tool (I mean, it was enough of a big deal that they wrote an article about it),

I am really not trying to be dick (please keep that in mind). Just constructive conversation.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    What if Kanye produced Strobelight?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinata89 View Post
    So that should immediately make me appreciate Kanye West and everything he does?
    Lol

no that isn't even remotely close to what I was trying to say. Just pointing out the irony. That's it.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Have you ever asked your bitch for other bitches?
    What would Jeromey Romey Romey Rome think

Meh, I still have quite a bit of respect for Kanye. Wouldn't call myself a fan but I appreciate what he does.
    Last edited by icecream; 04-09-2014 at 11:55 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    What would Jeromey Romey Romey Rome think

Meh, I still have quite a bit of respect for Kanye. Wouldn't call myself a fan but I appreciate what he does.
    cut him some slack. He hit turbulence when he got to that line.

And with that said I think I would consider myself a fan of his work. Not a hardcore fan. And not a fan of him as a person in any way shape or form. But I am a fan of his work.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fangster_ View Post
    Otherwise I adore Find My Way, but the lyrics always force my teeth to grind. HM in general is one big contrasty hit n' miss party of lyrics.

As the thread demands, let me put it controversially enough:

I thought he was trying to rhyme "a way" with "my way", singing it like "ma way".

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Everything that has had the Nine Inch Nails name on it after Year Zero has been a massive disappointment.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Everything that has had the Nine Inch Nails name on it after Year Zero has been a massive disappointment.
    see, i still don't really like the majority of year zero, but i LOVE ghosts, and really like the slip and HM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I'll do you one better: everything since Purest Feeling has been a disappointment.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I'll do you one better: everything since Purest Feeling has been a disappointment.
    everything Trent has done since his high school marching band.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    everything Trent has done since his high school marching band.
    Everything since he started playing the piano at age 5.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Everything since he started playing the piano at age 5.
    Okay...this is getting out of hand, haha. Let's get real here--everything since Trent was negative 6 years old.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinata89 View Post
    Okay...this is getting out of hand, haha. Let's get real here--everything since Trent was negative 6 years old.
    I'd go back to the crying when he first left his mothers womb. It was so raw and emotional. It was genuine angst upon being taken from a place of security. He wanted to go back but he couldn't. That's real angst. Not the manufactured angst of his twenties and thirties when he was trying to recapture that feeling of existential dread through artificial means such as drugs and broken relationships.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Those Reznor air conditioning units are awful, it must be a family curse

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeazor View Post
    To the topic . . . I'm really sick of hearing Piggy live. I always feel like the portion of ticket money that goes toward that song is a complete waste. I like the song just fine on the record but live, it's run its course.
    Ghosts Piggy > Piggy.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I don't know if this is exactly controversial but I'm not digging Trent's fashion choices for the stage. First, it was those harem pants (although I can forgive him for that) and now the ridiculously cut tank tops. #uselessbitchfest

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    I don't know if this is exactly controversial but I'm not digging Trent's fashion choices for the stage. First, it was those harem pants (although I can forgive him for that) and now the ridiculously cut tank tops. #uselessbitchfest
    Fucker still always has the best jackets ever, tho.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I think that the PHM version is of Sin FAR better than the Sin single versions that you usually hear. I'll also go as far to say that the single versions are annoying, the looping drums throughout the whole song sound extremely dated and repetitive.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    That you usually hear where? The only time I ever heard the song was when I chose to (usually the album) and in concert where it was its own thing. I've never heard it on the radio or mtv or anything of the sort.