Page 41 of 160 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 91 141 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Vessel is about drugs and sex being the same (though it's Parepin). Which is like, half of With Teeth's content.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I've always been under the impression that Trent was about to pull a Kid A/Amnesiac in 2005/06 with W_T being the first one. Non-Entity and Not So Pretty Now were planned for the follow up that never materialized because of YZ. It's the reason I'm looking forward to a possible W_T anniversary edition... because there might be a few leftovers lying around. But who knows, really...

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Not sure if this is controversial per se, but I've always thought these are the most beautiful lyrics Trent has ever written.

Probably even more so to me as they are dedicated to his maternal grandmother, and my own grandmother who I was extremely close to passed away on May 6, 2004 -- the DAY -- and I mean spot on, to the day, when nin.com finally updated and the "type writer" font showed up. That wasn't too long after I first started getting into NIN circa 2002/2003 -

As black as the night can get
    Everything is safer now
    There's always a way to forget
    Once you learn to find a way how

In the blur of serenity
    Where did everything get lost?
    The flowers of naïveté
    Buried in a layer of frost

The smell of sunshine
    I remember sometimes

Thought he had it all before they called his bluff
    Found out that his skin just wasn't thick enough
    Wanted to go back to how it was before
    Thought he lost everything
    Then he lost a whole lot more

A fool's devotion
    Swallowed up in empty space
    The tears of regret
    Frozen to the side of his face

The smell of sunshine
    I remember sometimes

I've done all I can do
    Could I please come with you?
    Sweet smell of sunshine
    I remember sometimes

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Those are great lyrics. He's so dang talented.

For topic, I didn't think much of The Dragon Sountrack.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I'd agree that it's probably his best lyric. For example, even though sunshine doesn't really have a smell, it still makes perfect sense. Like, just having a sense oriented memory of what it was like to be happy in the past. And the line about the tears frozen to the side of his face captures the sadness and coldness of the situation at the same time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I always associate the smell of sunshine lyric with how a girl's hair smells after she's been outside in the sun. I guess the same would be true of a guy's hair, but I don't smell other dudes' hair.

Whenever my wife has been outside and I smell it I always tell her she smells like sunshine.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I don't think the U.S. leg of the Tension tour wouldn't happen the way it did without Trent signing to Columbia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That song in "Conversations with Trent Reznor" that he said he left out of Hesitation Marks because he thought it sounded too close to "Find My Way"...should've been on the album.

I like "All-Time Low" better in its slower, "unlistenable" form.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Everything is so fucking good.

Trent needs to do Beach Boys melodies/harmonies all of the times.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    When I think about all of the times I've seen Nine Inch Nails, Tension 2013 probably ranks as my least favorite show....which is a shame because the record that came out in that era is by far still holding up very well.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    When I think about all of the times I've seen Nine Inch Nails, Tension 2013 probably ranks as my least favorite show....which is a shame because the record that came out in that era is by far still holding up very well.
    damn dude, really!? What other shows have you seen??

tension 2013 was probably the "best" I've seen, but I'd have to recommend tripping balls on shrooms at the Terminal 5 "last" NYC show as my favorite ;-)

for context, my show history courtesy nintourhistory:
    2013-10-14 Barclays Center Tension 2013 Brooklyn New York United States
    2009-08-26 Terminal 5 North America New York New York United States
    2009-06-06 PNC Bank Arts Center NIN/JA 2009 Holmdel New Jersey United States
    2009-06-05 Susquehanna Bank Center NIN/JA 2009 Camden New Jersey United States
    2008-08-27 Izod Center Lights In The Sky Over North America East Rutherford New Jersey United States
    2005-09-23 Key Arena With Teeth Fall Arena Tour Seattle Washington United States
    2005-05-01 Coachella Music Festival With Teeth Club Tour Indio California United States
    2000-06-09 The Gorge Amphitheatre Fragility v2.0 Tour George Washington United States
    Last edited by screwdriver; 04-05-2014 at 07:38 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Judging from your location, I'm guessing you went to one (or more) of the first few shows? That might have made a difference. There were some technical difficulties (plus possibly not being ready with some material) from the YouTube footage I saw.

By the NY concert (which I also went to), it was a pretty different show.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    TR should make an album just him and a (grand) piano.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    TR should make an album just him and a (grand) piano.
    Is that controversial? I'd pay just for ONE song like that.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I was thinking of adding that maybe when Rick Rubin told him to go to Big Sur and write on a piano he wasn't ready, but maybe now he is.

I wonder if he'll go see King Buzzo acoustic. He's certainly taken a few influences from Melvins over the years.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Too many generic NIN-moments/lyrics ruin Hesitation Marks.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Also, fuck a piano album. I can't image anything more boring. No one needs that kitschy shit.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

Do you own a time machine or something?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Do you own a time machine or something?
    Just saying that Hesitation Marks is still holding up man. Geeze.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Just saying that Hesitation Marks is still holding up man. Geeze.
    Don't take my comment too seriously, just being sarcastic. Honestly thought it was an odd choice of words when HM is only about 7 months old.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Also, fuck a piano album. I can't image anything more boring. No one needs that kitschy shit.
    I guess you never heard Still.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I did, actually, and I quite like the Fragile outtakes. But I think there would be nothing more awkward for Trent than trying to be this singer sitting behind a piano playing/singing all those self indulgent songs (new ones or old ones) we already heard a million times.
    For one I don't consider him a good enough singer, while his notoriously cringeworthy lyrics wouldn't stand a test if not accompanied by / hidden under the brilliant production of synths, loops, beats, etc. Come to think of it, I'd actually prefer another Ghosts album next time. Unless he finally manages to break free from his habit of rehashing the same old topics and phrases he lazily goes back to in his lyrics ever since, for whatever reason.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I did, actually, and I quite like the Fragile outtakes. But I think there would be nothing more awkward for Trent than trying to be this singer sitting behind a piano playing/singing all those self indulgent songs (new ones or old ones) we already heard a million times.
    For one I don't consider him a good enough singer, while his notoriously cringeworthy lyrics wouldn't stand a test if not accompanied by / hidden under the brilliant production of synths, loops, beats, etc. Come to think of it, I'd actually prefer another Ghosts album next time. Unless he finally manages to break free from his habit of rehashing the same old topics and phrases he lazily goes back to in his lyrics ever since, for whatever reason.
    What makes a good singer is character, ability to convey emotion, and fearlessness. Pitch doesn't hurt either. He has all of that in spades.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    The idea of Still came spontaneously, and the material was collected from entirely different places (CRC show rehearsals, One Hour Photo rejects, The Fragile outtakes, one or two originals). I'm not sure the result will be the same if Trent forces out of himself another quiet album just for the sake of it.
    I'm not saying he isn't capable of coming up with awesome quiet pieces - Ghosts and soundtracks prove he is. But I'm pretty sure there won't be specifically Still II album.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    While I disagree with your characterization of TR's songwriting, I concur, in a way, with your sentiment about doing songs at a piano. I actually think that would be fine, but, if you ask me, what would be better would be TR sitting at a piano and just keeping his mouth shut. An album length sonata or something would be something for which I'd sacrifice non-essential body parts. Maybe a toe. One of the little ones.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Since I'm here: I think THTF is a fine song, especially in a vacuum. I had ditched radio before WT came out, so I didn't get flooded by it like so many others did. And because of geography, I've only been to a scant handful of shows, so it doesn't bother me there, either.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Otherwise I adore Find My Way, but the lyrics always force my teeth to grind. HM in general is one big contrasty hit n' miss party of lyrics.

As the thread demands, let me put it controversially enough:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fangster_ View Post
    Well done, this almost made me shoot hot tea out of my nose from laughter.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I roll my eyes whenever people call That's What I Get and Kinda I Want To "stupid" or "immature" yet wank themselves silly over The Only Time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think Trent's a great lyricist.
    Yes.
    Maybe it's because english isn't my first language and I'm more than happy that I don't need a dictionary and a lexicon to understand what he's saying, I don't know, but I love (most) of his lyrics.
    Also, I love That's What I Get. I don't think it's immature at all, I think it's lovely.