Quote Originally Posted by goingincirclez View Post
Actually on the subject of packaging, my own separate opinion: I *HATE* (loathe, despise, abhor, detest, etc etc) digipacks! There is nothing "premium" or value-added about them. In fact to me they seem downright cheap. In the NPR interview Trent says he's trying to spare fans the aggravation of opening a plastic case, but shit: you can tear or fuzz the edges of a cardboard sleeve while removing the shrinkwrap just as easily as you might crack plastic. At least if you crack a standard case, replacements are a buck a dozen. Digipacks wear out noticeably, don't always fit media shelves well, and his only truly creative use of them was Broken which I admit was clever. And maybe TDS' booklet was an easier fit, but that still required a slim jewel case. Maybe The Fragile gets a pass here too, since it was a double album and most double-disc plastic cases suck. But I wish all the other single-disc releases wish were in standard cases.
I've actually thought about that before, and yes, at least jewel cases are easily replaceable in comparison. To me, the best digipacks would have to be Broken, With Teeth, and And All That Could Have Been (Live/Still). I sometimes like to think what it would've been like if all of the other releases were in jewel cases. I'm sure Broken and The Downward Spiral probably would've had all clear jewel cases, or Broken's jewel case would've been like the one for Pretty Hate Machine. The Fragile's case probably could've looked like the cases that held Depeche Mode's 101, Michael Jackson's HIStory, and Final Fantasy VII. I'd like to think that would've looked cool, especially if the where the black parts that are supposed to be on it ended up red and/or gray just for The Fragile.