Page 94 of 160 FirstFirst ... 44 84 92 93 94 95 96 104 144 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,820 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    I don't like Trent incorporating "The Only Time" to "Closer."
    It was an interesting gimmick during the With Teeth tour, but I'm super over it and really disappointed that we'll probably never hear it the original way ever again.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    "the new backwards" that was released in conjuction with "the ape of naples" is also a nice alternate version of what "backwards" could have been. between those two albums and the more recently released danny hyde version of backwards, plus the original demos, i think we have every possible version of those songs.
    I've read that Threshhold Archives has a "final version" of the Nothing/etc. tracks that DH released, before Peter reworked them, that the guy from Brainwashed was originally planning to put together. I read that in 2015 or so? I don't know what's happening with that. I know they reissued a ton of the EPs and singles, and put out a reissue of TNB/AON vinyls. I think they continued to work on it until 2000, and then after Jhonn's death, Peter reworked a lot of the tracks. I'm happy with what we have though! And I never thought the Nothing era versions would come out at all. I am always a little disappointed that Coil decided not to infiltrate suburban malls with a Nothing contract but that's how it went.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    I've read that Threshhold Archives has a "final version" of the Nothing/etc. tracks that DH released, before Peter reworked them, that the guy from Brainwashed was originally planning to put together. I read that in 2015 or so? I don't know what's happening with that. I know they reissued a ton of the EPs and singles, and put out a reissue of TNB/AON vinyls. I think they continued to work on it until 2000, and then after Jhonn's death, Peter reworked a lot of the tracks. I'm happy with what we have though! And I never thought the Nothing era versions would come out at all. I am always a little disappointed that Coil decided not to infiltrate suburban malls with a Nothing contract but that's how it went.
    I bought all 8 archival EPs when they came out in 2015. Did they ever get the legality stuff worked out? They had a whole catalog of re-issues planned, then the whole project just sort of disappeared.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Senateguard33 View Post
    I bought all 8 archival EPs when they came out in 2015. Did they ever get the legality stuff worked out? They had a whole catalog of re-issues planned, then the whole project just sort of disappeared.
    I checked the page some time last year and I haven't heard of any updates to the situation, unfortunately. I think they were unhappy about DH's release, too – might have taken some of the wind out of the sails if the final pre-JB death versions aren't that different?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    We at least have the Coil remixes of NIN, which are still some of the most imaginative rearrangements of a song I've ever heard. The "Precursor" remix of Closer is still stunning to me – it totally captures the mood of the lyrics in a way the original doesn't (rather than the way that the song is generally interpreted due to the famous chorus line and the disco-funk sound). Same with the non-'Polite' "Eraser" remixes on FTDS. "Gave Up" is an amazing track that borrows some techniques from "In My Blood" on the Backwards demo bootleg, and again works as well as a totally otherworldly soundscape as much as it does a conceptual reimagining of the words. I don't know how they worked on that level on so, so many drugs. I always disliked how NIN was kind of put down as this group with incredibly "dumb" or "simplistic" lyrics – when I think it's sort of unusually brainy in its own way, on some albums more than others. When you add Coil to it, it's just magic.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that the Backwards we have is released quasi-officially by Danny Hyde and has no credits at all. They never signed to Nothing, so I'm guessing that Trent doesn't own it, but there must be other legal reasons for not mentioning who did what. (Or just outright laziness). Backwards helped ignite some nostalgia/appreciation for the 90s for me, which I was sort of too young at certain points to fully appreciate.

I always found it funny in retrospect that I loved these remixes as, like a 10 year old kid. I was realizing I was gay, and kind of felt uncomfortable about it in my town, and here I was listening to music by this incredibly well-known (for industrial, left-field musicians), insanely talented gay couple without even knowing it. They should have had pride flags next to those tracks, dammit.
    100% with you. Coil are responsible for some of the best NIN remixes ever created, nothing has yet to top those. And that's kind of what bums me out the most; we got these glimpses of what they could have made together, but it never happened.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    As great as Coil's "Closer (Precursor)" remix is, I really don't care for most of the other remixes on that EP. Particularly not "(Further Away)," with the cringe-worthy animal noises. It was fun to hear as a kid, and now I can't stand it or the faux-funk of Meat Beat Manifesto's track "(Deviation)" anymore.

All the good bits of that EP were compiled on disc two of the Deluxe Downward Spiral SACD.
    Last edited by botley; 08-24-2017 at 11:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I REALLY don't like the Year Zero and Add Violence cover.
    For me, this or this one were better choices.

Sorry

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Nah, those are too on the nose and would be something Linkin Park or the likes would choose for a cover.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    But ... but ... this hand ... seriously.
    I can understand for the ARG but not for the cover.. Same for AV, I understand the meaning but ... seriously.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eluus View Post
    I REALLY don't like the Year Zero and Add Violence cover.
    For me, this or this one were better choices.

Sorry

I don't mind the cover for Year Zero, but it does slightly bug me that it doesn't make sense outside the context of the ARG. Unless you're familiar with the ARG and The Presence, it's just a photo of a hand outside a car window. It's pretty esoteric and the meaning is lost on the uninitiated. That being said, I love the album, I love the era, I loved the tour, and I love the artwork for it as well.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I loved the tour,.
    Tour?...

Didn't they only play over seas for that time period after it was released?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Tour?...

Didn't they only play over seas for that time period after it was released?
    Sorry, was thinking of the Lights in the Sky tour, which was heavy on Year Zero songs. My bad.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I don't like the title "Add Violence" nor any of the merchandise related to it. It just seems silly and adolescent.

(Yeah, Yeah, I know it's part of the lyrics to "Less Than" and the music is catchy, melodic and mostly non-aggressive, hence the oxymoron title, but still)

I have nothing against the EP itself, which is phenomenal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know if this will be controversial or not but it has come up in conversation with my partner once or twice recently (mainly because I force her to talk about NIN on a daily basis)-
    Trent reminds me of PJ Harvey.
    If you listen to "To Bring You My Love" as an album it's oddly similar to the likes of The Fragile because the vocalists know how to use their voices as an instrument and do so in an incredible way. Utilising the upper limits of their range, voice cracks and near off-key tones to convey emotions and feelings both artists succeed and know what they are doing in a way that acknowledges that they are not the nest singers / vocalists- this makes them all the better though. They use their singing voices in ways that the most accomplished and talented singers cannot because they utilise their imperfections and limits in ways to enhance the songs.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Yes, and they are both multi-instrumentalists, both worked with Flood, and both have used theatricality to great effect in live performance. People used to say Tori Amos was the female TR, I always felt he had more in common with Polly Harvey.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    I don't like Trent incorporating "The Only Time" to "Closer."
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyract View Post
    It was an interesting gimmick during the With Teeth tour, but I'm super over it and really disappointed that we'll probably never hear it the original way ever again.
    As much as I actually liked it, it just also makes me wish that The Only Time would just be performed as it is in full. I'd also very much love to see Closer being performed the original way too.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I've never been into closer live. It just has never translated well in my opinion. That's my go take a piss song. Looked pretty cool on the summer with teeth dates but always just sounds off. Most nin sounds just as good if not better live but with closer, somethings always been off or missing. It's disjointed and doesn't flow well. Especially with the now standard medley, which was fun before it became expected.

When they did TDS live I would imagine it was normal, right? Can't remember.
    Last edited by EndlessLoveless; 08-27-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    I've never been into closer live. It just has never translated well in my opinion. That's my go take a piss song. Looked pretty cool on the summer with teeth dates but always just sounds off. Most nin sounds just as good if not better live but with closer, somethings always been off or missing. It's disjointed and doesn't flow well. Especially with the now standard medley, which was fun before it became expected.

When they did TDS live I would imagine it was normal, right? Can't remember.
    It was not performed normal for the TDS live shows, which tells me they probably aren't even set up backing-tape wise or whatever to play it original anymore.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I've posted this numerous times regarding Closer live- it was horrible prior to adding TOT break down. Too much of it was pre-recorded prior to WT tours, including those lyrics at the end (through the forest...) and wasn't much to listen to. Problem is it's the most "popular" NIN song and a lot of people want to hear it.

Wether or not Trent knew it was pretty stale live and decided to liven up a bit, only he knows. I personally love what he did by incorporating TOT into it.

People should go watch the live video of it off AATCHB live DVD. It was a snoozer for sure.
    Last edited by Krazy; 08-27-2017 at 01:17 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyract View Post
    It was not performed normal for the TDS live shows, which tells me they probably aren't even set up backing-tape wise or whatever to play it original anymore.

March of the pigs had the album ending right? Maybe that's what I'm remembering. Been a while since I watched that show.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I've posted this numerous times regarding Closer live- it was horrible prior to adding TOT break down. Too much of it was pre-recorded prior to WT tours, including those lyrics at the end (through the forest...) and wasn't much to listen to. Problem is it's the most "popular" NIN song and a lot of people want to hear it.

Wether or not Trent knew it was pretty stale live and decided to liven up a bit, only he knows. I personally love what he did by incorporating TOT into it.

People should go watch the live video of it off AATCHB live DVD. It was a snoozer for sure.
    I think that's the main reason it's a snoozer for me. That portion and the ending buildup on the album version is like a descent into madness. Its the subtle electronic nuances and the swirling guitar. The live version doesn't have that same chaos at the end when everything is going nuts. Those programmed hi hats aren't front and center and that final push, when the outro notes start and the machinery noises are at their loudest just leaves something to be desired live. I always thought they should incorporate closer into the "electronic" section of the show with The great destroyer, me I'm not etc.... that might make it fresh again and fit the song better. They could still use the live bass during the chorus and Robins guitar at start of build up. That'd be really cool.
    Last edited by EndlessLoveless; 08-27-2017 at 01:41 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I personally like that version. Jerome adds some extra notes on the hi-hat, and it sounds amazing.

On that note, I don't think Jerome has ever been topped. Josh and Ilan may be better players, but Jerome was the first to add all these little flourishes, like the hitting the toms during the chorus of Terrible Lie. His shuffle during the chorus of Piggy was also to die for. I still sort of miss him, and that loose feel he added.
    Last edited by Fred; 08-27-2017 at 02:19 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I would rather hear them play Closer To God than the version that's closer (tee hee) to the album version.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    March of the pigs had the album ending right? Maybe that's what I'm remembering. Been a while since I watched that show.
    Correct, MotP had the album ending.

Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I would rather hear them play Closer To God than the version that's closer (tee hee) to the album version.
    A thousand times YES!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Not to change the subject but probably controversial: I don't like the megaphone on burning bright live. I think, and I stress the I think, it would translate better with cleaner vocals, maybe a touch of distortion. I'm sure it's hard to get that muddiness from the album version to live but I really want to hear the vocals without the megaphone.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    @Nick 99 I can safely say that no recording I have heard or seen of Burning Bright has lived up to how it sounded in person. It works incredibly well live with the megaphone and makes the entire mix have the wall of sound effect that it does in the studio version.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    You can probably assume every single way Closer (or any song) could possibly be played has been hashed out in rehearsals and we get the best version at any given moment that the band can do.

It's not as easy as your fantasy imagined live version, so much has to be figured out. There are reasons stuff like TPD never gets played live, they tried it a bunch and just couldn't get it sounding right live.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    @Nick 99 I can safely say that no recording I have heard or seen of Burning Bright has lived up to how it sounded in person. It works incredibly well live with the megaphone and makes the entire mix have the wall of sound effect that it does in the studio version.
    Good to hear thank you. Hope it's still on the setlist for riot fest, I'd love to see it live. Top 10 NIN song IMO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It's definitely a song where the band/sound guys are playing the venue as an instrument. It'll probably never quite sound right on a live recording compared to being there. The NTAE songs are so dependent on a specific reverb/tone.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'm gonna go out there and say once more that The Slip is so horribly underrated + Head Down and The Four of Us Are Dying are among top 10 NIN tracks. fight me