Page 5 of 160 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fraser View Post
    The Modwheelmood remix of the Great Destroyer is one of the top 10 NIN songs of the past 10 years.
    YES. I thought I was the only one! It's actually one of my all-time favorite songs, from any musician.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fraser View Post
    The Modwheelmood remix of the Great Destroyer is one of the top 10 NIN songs of the past 10 years.
    Agree. More Cortini remixes please.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yes, please! Didn't he also do that remix of The Space in Between?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, that was good too. I'm also down for Trent remixes of SONOIO. Are you listening, Trent?

ps trent if you're listening please leak hesitation marks please and thank you

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Transfixed View Post
    So bizarre... and yet I know EXACTLY what you mean. I hated it passionately when TF first came out. Sometime about 6 months ago I heard it for the first time in a long time and was actually able to appreciate/enjoy it. But yeah... it's strangely disturbing... which is saying a lot when talking about NIN. The odd thing being that there's nothing overtly disturbing about it! It just grates on me the wrong way....hmm.
    I think of Nazis every time.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chroipahtz View Post
    Demon Seed is the 2nd best song on that album, after Head Down.

Come at me.
    I prefer Head Down's live ending with the TR-midi-shitfuck.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I could never get into Head Down. I like things about it, but I don't like it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fist Fuck View Post
    The Slip on the other hand would have made a great EP...

... No Letting You, no Demon Seed.

Actually I get where you're coming from. I like the Slip, but I always thought it could have been arranged better. Turned into an EP I would drop 1,000,000, Discipline and Echoplex and plot the remainder as such:

1. 999,999 -> as an excellent lead (given the trailing vocal) into
    2. The Four of Us Are Dying
    3. Letting You
    4. Lights in the Sky
    5. Head Down
    6. Demon Seed
    7. Corona Radiata

Arranged that way, there's a narrative. Tracks 3-4-5 betray a sense of tortured scizophrenia. 6 becomes the defiant realization as a result, which makes track 7 a more jarring and haunting conclusion to the story.

(Yes, my therapist loves me, why do you ask?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ComradeCornhole View Post
    yesssss holy shit yes

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    yesssss holy shit yes
    Ilan is a gangster at like, everything, but Freese is a fucking OG on the drums.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Head Down is a great track, but never really sounded that great live. Either Trent's voice was fucked, Robin's guitar had a weird sound or the general lack of guitar in the chorus was a downer. That midi-shitfuck is great though.

Letting You works great live, but the studio version never did it for me. It's one of the weakest tracks IMO.

And by the way: NIN2013 > LITS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I didn't realize people didn't like the slip. But I would assume my controversial opinion would be.... Well, not so much here among other fans. But the look I get when I say I don't think Closer is a fun happy fuck song as much as it is a desperate, dark and depressing song. People think I'm insane.

Sad, my first post in this thread is about one of the most popular NIN songs out there. and I doubt the fact The Way Out is Through is not only my favorite NIN song but my favorite song, period, would be controversial at all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Ponderance View Post
    I don't think Closer is a fun happy fuck song as much as it is a desperate, dark and depressing song.
    That's not a controversial opinion. It's the truth.
    I've never heard anyone describe the song as a 'happy fuck song'.
    I know when it came out some clubs played it as such, but I've not known anyone who actually listened to the song think its about rolling in the hay. Or a good time.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Demon Seed is the 2nd best song on that album, after Head Down.

Come at me.
    It's the best song on the record for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danebraddy View Post
    That's not a controversial opinion. It's the truth.
    I've never heard anyone describe the song as a 'happy fuck song'.
    I know when it came out some clubs played it as such, but I've not known anyone who actually listened to the song think its about rolling in the hay. Or a good time.
    Sadly half a dozen people instantly came to mind who do think just that - it's a fun, happy song to fuck to. Then more trickled in. It's quite sad.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

I saw a guy get down on one knee and propose to his girlfriend on the floor at the Joe Louis Arena (Detroit) during "Hurt."

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ComradeCornhole
    yesssss holy shit yes
    Me too. Got a great capture of it back in '09 -

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    So, here's something controversial, I guess. It always seemed a little to me that as Trent made his musical 80-degree turn in 2005 with With Teeth, which has continued into the "new-NIN" sound that we're now well-familiar with, that his new "poppy" quality of music, (releasing tracks like 'Only' etc) kinda came off a little...gay? Like, not that he sounded flaming or anything, but some of the sound that he goes for in his last several records seems to have a certain flair to it that resembles that of a repressed dude letting some of his gayness out. IS IT JUST ME? Some of his tunes sound a little fruity, and on this new stuff too, no joke. I don't mean it as any offense and I love his work as much as all of you, but that's something I've honestly thought and want to know what you think. And yes I know he's married with kids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    All you need to do is look at PHM and earlier stuff to see Trent's flamboyant side. He was probably too depressed/fucked out of his mind to do that stuff before he got sober. Now every song is filled with tambourines and "YEAH"s and more lip pursing than Zoolander. But the pure focused energy of the concerts has gone up, so hey, more power to him.

I leave you with this:
    http://ningayfuel.ytmnd.com/

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    The Slip is the only album I can listen to without skipping a song. As raw as the album may sound, I think it's part of its appeal. And from a production standpoint, I think Head Down is one of the best NIN songs in the catalogue. Overall, I'm loving the garage-y vibe and I think, it's perfectly sequenced. Only thing bothering me, is Discipline fading out and cutting off.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Transfixed View Post
    So, here's something controversial, I guess. It always seemed a little to me that as Trent made his musical 80-degree turn in 2005 with With Teeth, which has continued into the "new-NIN" sound that we're now well-familiar with, that his new "poppy" quality of music, (releasing tracks like 'Only' etc) kinda came off a little...gay?
    Dude, have you ever heard the DFA remix of the hand that feeds?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goingincirclez View Post
    Turned into an EP I would drop 1,000,000, Discipline and Echoplex and plot the remainder as such:
    wait, what

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't seem to get the avid collecting thing that is so prominent with NIN fans, I mean I understand why people want as much music as they can get they're hands on but sometimes the cost of being a collector is a bit scary.
    Some fans I've met equate people's collection with how much of a fan a person is!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goingincirclez View Post
    Actually I get where you're coming from. I like the Slip, but I always thought it could have been arranged better. Turned into an EP I would drop 1,000,000, Discipline and Echoplex and plot the remainder as such:

1. 999,999 -> as an excellent lead (given the trailing vocal) into
    2. The Four of Us Are Dying
    3. Letting You
    4. Lights in the Sky
    5. Head Down
    6. Demon Seed
    7. Corona Radiata

Arranged that way, there's a narrative. Tracks 3-4-5 betray a sense of tortured scizophrenia. 6 becomes the defiant realization as a result, which makes track 7 a more jarring and haunting conclusion to the story.
    I listened to this arrangement a couple of times this morning and I have to say that it flows nicely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know if this is controversial or if it has been said before, but I honestly want Trent to work with some other musicians besides Atticus. I like what the two of them have created together, but I think he needs to change it up some. I would love to see Grohl, Homme, and Reznor do more work together. I really like Mantra and want more stuff like that.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

All you need to do is look at PHM and earlier stuff to see Trent's flamboyant side. He was probably too depressed/fucked out of his mind to do that stuff before he got sober. Now every song is filled with tambourines and "YEAH"s and more lip pursing than Zoolander. But the pure focused energy of the concerts has gone up, so hey, more power to him.

I leave you with this:
    http://ningayfuel.ytmnd.com/
    I hate you for posting that link!! I've just embarrassed myself by laughing so hard and shooting water through my nose in front of a coach full of people!

Damn you! LOL!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think Welcome Oblivion and The Social Network score are some of the best albums Trent has ever released.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fist Fuck View Post
    Letting You works great live, but the studio version never did it for me. It's one of the weakest tracks IMO.
    exactly. all the other tracks on The Slip are top notch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    - PHM is the worst NIN album. About half is classic, but the other half is unlistenable. The new live version of Sanctified fucking rules, though.

- The Slip is fucking excellent and massively underrated. It has better flow than most NIN albums, and while it DOES feel like an album that was banged out in just a couple of weeks, It does a great job of drawing together a bunch of elements from all previous eras of NIN. It really does feel like Trent's retrospective on his personal growth alongside the development of Nine Inch Nails.

- Ghosts is also fantastic. It bothers me when people brush it off. A few songs are annoying, yes, but its one of my favorite albums to relax to, and it's relevance to the career of Trent is huge. Look at the film scores!

- Year Zero belongs alongside TDS and TF as the great NIN masterpieces.

- "I Do Not Want This" is a top 3 song on TDS

- "All the Love in the World" is one of the absolute best NIN songs ever, and With Teeth has some of Trent's all time best work. It's sad to see songs like Sunspots, Right Where It Belongs, and Beside You In Time get brought down by crap like "Getting Smaller." This album could be much improved if a few of the more lackluster songs were replaced with "Home" and "Non-Entity."

- Despite both discs being amazing, it's hard as fuck to listen to The Fragile in its entirety. I almost view Left and Right as two different albums.

- Discipline is a really good song

- I like Mariqueen's voice. I hope she is in Hesitation Marks. If she has been thus far, don't tell me. I have heard about half of what has been released.
    Last edited by ZeroSum; 08-24-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
    Since I've seen similar threads in other places on the forum, but I can't find one specifically for NIN, I thought I'd start one.

And, to start off, I like "The Slip" and "Everything".
    me too and I just short of hate With teeth.