Page 50 of 160 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 100 150 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    This really is a first to me, along with some of your opinions of With Teeth. (Which I actually like, as I've sometimes seen With Teeth as a bit of an underdog of the post-Fragile part of the discography. NIN fans generally seem to appreciate it a lot more than they did back in 2005-2007 as well.)
    While The Fragile is my favorite NIN piece as a whole package I think that With_Teeth is my favorite album to listen to front to back, not a snoozer on the thing.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    As much as it's great that there's a dedicated NIN collector community, it kinda pisses me off when I want to buy an old NIN record and the prices are through the roof because the community has put such a high value on things (and some people have 20, 30 of the same damn album).

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    As much as it's great that there's a dedicated NIN collector community, it kinda pisses me off when I want to buy an old NIN record and the prices are through the roof because the community has put such a high value on things (and some people have 20, 30 of the same damn album).
    I definitely don't like that if I want a copy of With Teeth or Year Zero on vinyl it's going to typically run me around 100 dollars, give or take, and that's usually used, not sealed. It actually was a big reason why I stayed away from getting NIN on vinyl for so long, but I've basically accepted I'll just take what I can get and anything that's too high for my budget, I'll just live without.

Also the cost of the HM promos are ridiculous right now. I'm guessing they'll go down once it's no longer the new album and people realize how many copies there actually are, but at the moment I've looked on ebay and seen them with asking prices in the hundreds. It's beyond crazy.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I never really liked even the mere idea of retiring any songs. I'd understand wanting to hear some songs being replaced by others, or hearing some songs more than others, but not to the point where any of the songs would be never ever played live ever again. I wouldn't mind hearing more of Down In It and Closer. It would also be nice to hear more performances of Kinda I Want To, That's What I Get, The Only Time, and Ringfinger.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I definitely don't like that if I want a copy of With Teeth or Year Zero on vinyl it's going to typically run me around 100 dollars, give or take, and that's usually used, not sealed. It actually was a big reason why I stayed away from getting NIN on vinyl for so long, but I've basically accepted I'll just take what I can get and anything that's too high for my budget, I'll just live without.

Also the cost of the HM promos are ridiculous right now. I'm guessing they'll go down once it's no longer the new album and people realize how many copies there actually are, but at the moment I've looked on ebay and seen them with asking prices in the hundreds. It's beyond crazy.
    i'll happily trade you my unsealed but unplayed, NM copy of year zero on vinyl for the 3-record perfect drug set (if you have it)!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i'll happily trade you my unsealed but unplayed, NM copy of year zero on vinyl for the 3-record perfect drug set (if you have it)!
    I know part of this is humorous, but man, I honestly would trade those for YZ. I really want to have the main albums before anything else, but really I've just barely started collecting NIN on vinyl (and as for CDs, I still need 2/3s of the WITT single and the Only single, and then I still don't have Collected and a few other promos/alternates I want). I'm hoping to ideally end up with one of every main album alongside Broken, and then worry about singles from there. I actually am really glad that the NIN community is so trade-friendly, though, and I'll probably end up getting involved in that once I've got enough things that I actually could bring something to the table. I've wanted to get into collecting NIN for a long time, and I guess I could be considered a collector, but compared to so many of the people around here and on other sites I feel so basic; whenever I take a look at the Show Us Your Collection! thread here, or in the past when I saw the collecting thread on the nin.com forums, I've always been blown away with the extent that some people go to, it's amazing. I used to feel really proud of what I had, and people I know in real life are always blown away by how much I have, but having seen some of the larger collections (like that guy whose entire room/hallway of his house was lined with posters, promos, etc., or the guy with Trent's old hard drive, etc.) I can't help but feel like I'm still just beginning.

Thanks for the offer though!

Edit: Just realized I basically derailed the thread, sorry in advance, I really need to take my ass to the collecting/trading subforum sometime

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    I know part of this is humorous, but man, I honestly would trade those for YZ. I really want to have the main albums before anything else, but really I've just barely started collecting NIN on vinyl (and as for CDs, I still need 2/3s of the WITT single and the Only single, and then I still don't have Collected and a few other promos/alternates I want). I'm hoping to ideally end up with one of every main album alongside Broken, and then worry about singles from there. I actually am really glad that the NIN community is so trade-friendly, though, and I'll probably end up getting involved in that once I've got enough things that I actually could bring something to the table. I've wanted to get into collecting NIN for a long time, and I guess I could be considered a collector, but compared to so many of the people around here and on other sites I feel so basic; whenever I take a look at the Show Us Your Collection! thread here, or in the past when I saw the collecting thread on the nin.com forums, I've always been blown away with the extent that some people go to, it's amazing. I used to feel really proud of what I had, and people I know in real life are always blown away by how much I have, but having seen some of the larger collections (like that guy whose entire room/hallway of his house was lined with posters, promos, etc., or the guy with Trent's old hard drive, etc.) I can't help but feel like I'm still just beginning.

Thanks for the offer though!

Edit: Just realized I basically derailed the thread, sorry in advance, I really need to take my ass to the collecting/trading subforum sometime
    i wasn't joking at all. i don't like year zero (which is why i've never listened to it on vinyl) and it's the one album i just don't care about owning on vinyl. once i get all three records of the perfect drug, i'll have EVERY nin item i care about owning.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Are you looking for first pressing of WT or YZ? If not I have seen them around town on vinyl and would happily send you a copy. They go for 30-50 around here, beats paying 100$ for them.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    Are you looking for first pressing of WT or YZ? If not I have seen them around town on vinyl and would happily send you a copy. They go for 30-50 around here, beats paying 100$ for them.
    You're awesome! I just might end up PM'ing you soon about it if I decide I'm willing to spend for it soon, I'll have to see (finances and all that), but I'll definitely take you up on that when I've got things squared away. Seriously, that's very cool of you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Great Dedtroyer is one of the worst NIN songs ever. There - I got it off my chest. Thanks.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lordfalconer View Post
    The Great Dedtroyer is one of the worst NIN songs ever. There - I got it off my chest. Thanks.
    Yet, it's somehow one of the best on YZ!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lordfalconer View Post
    I can acknowledge that they lyrics sometimes make me cringe. "The great destroyer" and "murder everything" sounds a lot like some awkward pre-teen fantasy of power/revenge, but at the same time the song (especially live) kicks so much ass.
    Last edited by ethan829; 05-29-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ethan829 View Post
    I can acknowledge that they lyrics sometimes make me cringe. "The great destroyer" and "murder everything" sounds a lot like some awkward pre-teen fantasy of power/revenge, but at the same time the song (especially live) kicks so much ass.
    Although the lyrics might be cringeworthy, I think it's probably by design, too. I mean, there's kind of a similarity between that sort of teen power fantasy ("pre-teen" sounds young to me, but maybe them too) and a sort of willfully blind ideology - it could even be propaganda specifically targeting young people or something . . . That's just one interpretation of the lyrics. I might be way off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's not even the lyrics so much - I just feel like the ending half is a poor attempt to recreate the whole "Happiness in Slavery" mid section - but much less successful in doing so - it just bores the life out of me. To each their own though.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I've grown so used to the current TGD live breakdown that the album version seems too short to me nowadays.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    @Kris just reminded me of Tori Amos. I think that if Courtney didn't put her skanky self between the two, I think that Trent and Tori could've had a real thing going on.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    @Kris just reminded me of Tori Amos. I think that if Courtney didn't put her skanky self between the two, I think that Trent and Tori could've had a real thing going on.
    Buuuut MQ and Trez are soooooooooo cute

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I was just overposting on Facebook (as you do, when you're procrastinating), and theruiner said something the likes of 'poor Trent, all we do is bitch about his music', which is true (take 49 of the 50 pages of this thread, for instance). So:

I love Nine Inch Nails. Irony free. I love the music, I love the production, I love the Treznor's voice*, I love the lyrics**. I even love most of the artwork. I love the dedication and care that goes into Nine Inch Nails, and I love the impact it has had on my life. I love that it introduced me to you fine, bitchy people. I love that it helped me overcome myself.

* No seriously, I love his voice. And I cannot get over how much I adore Hesitation Marks because he finally chose to sing, and invest in the singing.

** Yes. I do. Even the really bad ones. Because they're still better than most other lyrics by most other artists. Because at least they mean something.

[No, I am not drunk. Just maybe a little mushy and girly today.]

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ethan829 View Post
    I still have mixed feelings about the harmonies on the last "great destroyer" line, but otherwise I love it. Especially "murder everything."

Not because I have a violent streak or anything.

OK, maybe I do.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    I still have mixed feelings about the harmonies on the last "great destroyer" line, but otherwise I love it. Especially "murder everything."
    I

Not because I have a violent streak or anything.

OK, maybe I do.
    I've always wondered if he had more than one breakdown for that song, and if he chose the one on the album because he liked it the most.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elke View Post

* No seriously, I love his voice. And I cannot get over how much I adore Hesitation Marks because he finally chose to sing, and invest in the singing.
    I agree with this, I don't get people who think the singing is poor on this album, listening to this album makes me sad he didn't invest more in the singing on earlier albums when he could have pulled it off live more as he was younger.

It also reminded me of this interview that I only recently saw, where he talks about collaborating with Tori Amos on Past the Mission (at 4.54) and how he normally tries to hide his voice in distortion - whyy??

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    Although the lyrics might be cringeworthy, I think it's probably by design, too. I mean, there's kind of a similarity between that sort of teen power fantasy ("pre-teen" sounds young to me, but maybe them too) and a sort of willfully blind ideology - it could even be propaganda specifically targeting young people or something . . . That's just one interpretation of the lyrics. I might be way off.
    It's funny that you say that, as The Great Destroyer also reminds me of Transformers and Power Rangers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I cannot stand Piggy. Absolutely hate it, boring as hell, worst song on TDS by far. Hated it live too.
    Surprised to see so many of you hate BMWAG, I think it's one of the highlights on the album.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Griffin View Post
    I cannot stand Piggy. Absolutely hate it, boring as hell, worst song on TDS by far. Hated it live too.
    Surprised to see so many of you hate BMWAG, I think it's one of the highlights on the album.
    i think it's the lyrical content...musically, i find big man with a gun interesting and pretty unique (i always have trouble identifying where the beat/phrase starts), but the lyrics make me feel quite ill.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Griffin View Post
    I always find I don't like piggy on the album that much, but live it shines - when he is singing 'nothing can stop me now' repeatedly on the AATCHB DVD with the guitar going on in the background, it's like man on the verge of a nervous breakdown. It's just really hauntingly affective

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Nothing can stop me now 'cause I just don't give a fuck.

Love Piggy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I like Piggy well enough, but between the five shows I've seen and the various boots I've listened to I feel like I've heard it about a billion times. I'm tired of it.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Piggy was my anthem all during high school.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I think I love "Piggy" because it's basically like a NIN take on jazz. I'm not into jazz, but I just find that combination of styles so interesting.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    You're a piggy.