Page 48 of 160 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 58 98 148 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I like Dissapointed, the mixing is good and the lyrics are solid. But I just hate how Trent drones his lyrics. It just sounds so... forced. It's cringe worthy to hear, "If I were youuuuuuuuuuuu I wouldn't truuuuuust a single woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooord I saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay"

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    For that i blame "fans" who said "we like nin for music, vocals are not important for us" so loud that Trent apparently took it literally, and we got what we got — an album which sounds like there was one vocal take for entire record, only slightly processed here and there.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^this is all so wrong, I think the vocals are great on this album

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    ^^^ I agree. I find the vocals in the rest of HM to be wonderful. It's just that one song that got under my skin.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitchyFlame View Post
    I like Dissapointed, the mixing is good and the lyrics are solid. But I just hate how Trent drones his lyrics. It just sounds so... forced. It's cringe worthy to hear, "If I were youuuuuuuuuuuu I wouldn't truuuuuust a single woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooord I saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay"
    YES!! I dont understand why he did that??!?!?!?

Like I think the production quality on the vocals is unique and great. It's a really dry sounding tone that's really interesting but why for the love of God would he sing that way when his voice is so exposed O_______O. Like sit down boy you ain't Thom Yorke. LOL I always think he is trying to be Thom Yorke when I hear it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemonkey613 View Post
    Like I think the production quality on the vocals is unique and great. It's a really dry sounding tone that's really interesting but why for the love of God would he sing that way when his voice is so exposed O_______O.
    His voice doesn't sound that exposed to me — more like the processing smooths it out. Is it a coincidence that he stops stretching the phrases precisely when the processing comes off?

edit: Then again, he does a little of that in Everything and it's not smoothed on the first verse.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    There are times when I think Niggy Tardust might be the greatest thing TR has ever done. Its definitely his most underrated work.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    There are times when I think Niggy Tardust might be the greatest thing TR has ever done. Its definitely his most underrated work.
    Dat instrumental version of the album too, so much great music on there

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    Still face palming myself that I haven't gotten around to this.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    You must! That's the album that sucked me into NIN to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Dat instrumental version of the album too, so much great music on there
    I didn't know such a thing existed — thanks for bringing that up.
    Last edited by Joy Prevention Hotline; 05-10-2014 at 12:18 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    I didn't know such a thing existed — thanks for bringing that up.
    Need a pm?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Need a pm?
    Nope, already found it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm bored so unpopular opinion: Nine Inch Nails is not just Trent. Sure, he's the only (main) writer, but Robin, Ally, Atticus, hell even Rob have shaped the band so much that it's total bullshit to pretend it's just Trent in his bedroom, writing soliloquies about giant alien hands.
    I think you could say that NIN is Trent and Rob now, (you can maybe drop Atticus in there too) but Robin and Ally are still pretty much hired hands for the live band - important and talented, but I doubt they have a lot of say in the future of NIN

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horican View Post
    I think you could say that NIN is Trent and Rob now, (you can maybe drop Atticus in there too) but Robin and Ally are still pretty much hired hands for the live band - important and talented, but I doubt they have a lot of say in the future of NIN
    One might argue that they've had an influence just by playing with NIN for so long, but only Trent could say for sure.

If nothing else, he sounded remorseful for leaving Robin out of the original tour plans.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemonkey613 View Post
    YES!! I dont understand why he did that??!?!?!?

Like I think the production quality on the vocals is unique and great. It's a really dry sounding tone that's really interesting but why for the love of God would he sing that way when his voice is so exposed O_______O. Like sit down boy you ain't Thom Yorke. LOL I always think he is trying to be Thom Yorke when I hear it.
    I just figured he was experimenting with actual singing on HM, so he tried a bit of everything that wasn't screaming or white-man-rapping. Some bits came out more succesful than others, but at least he actually sang this time around, so I'm not complaining.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Need a pm?
    Yes please!

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    Also check out the instrumental only version mentioned above. I believe there is no instrumental for Tr(n)igger though, for whatever reason. Refer to ninwiki, I'm posting from my phone.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elke View Post
    I just figured he was experimenting with actual singing on HM, so he tried a bit of everything that wasn't screaming or white-man-rapping. Some bits came out more succesful than others, but at least he actually sang this time around, so I'm not complaining.
    Sounds like I'm the only one who loves the vocals on Disappointed, almost like he's singing a show tune or something. At least the first verse is better, but I figured the second verse vocals, when they go a bit off, are supposed to match the erhu (or whatever the instrument is). Anyway I really hope to hear it live in a few weeks, fingers crossed

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    So I was reading that excellent interview with Michael Gira when this part made me think about how Trent used his music to sell the Beats product. Which then led me to questioning wether Trent actually is some kind of hypocrite for making shit up, just for the sake of sales and image:

Is there any extent to which the constant themes of control and violence are helping you deal with specific or non-specific traumas from your own younger life - is this a way of exorcism or catharsis, as it were?

MG: Catharsis is not a word I usually align myself with. Well…[long pause] I don't know what you mean from my youth, but I did work from a very early age, and I was confined at a very early age, and I worked at jobs – not that they didn't have value on their own – but they were not for me, certainly. I did everything from digging ditches, to working in a copper mine, I was a plumber's helper, a roofer's helper, a hod carrier, I worked in a plastics factory, I worked in a tool factory, I washed dishes and I washed cars. I've been on my own basically since I was about 14. So the idea of work, doing work that one would find to be stultifying or a waste of your time, was the worst thing that could happen to you as a human being, because nothing on Earth is more important than time and what you do with your time. And if you give up one third of your life or more to a task that you find stultifying or not up to your potential, you're really wasting your life.

A lot of my early thinking was about that, and also about the invidious quality of commercial advertising and the media, basically from the time you're reared up through adulthood, it's invading your psyche until eventually it alters your DNA and you become a consuming machine. Your desires are molded by the media, they create anxiety and fears that don't exist naturally, so you feel the need to consume to abate those fears.

Certainly I don't know that it was a mass conspiracy, but this kind of web did not exist until directly after the Second World War, when Madison Avenue and all those things started really looking into how to mind control people. Which has got it where it is - to the point where you don't feel sexy unless you own a particular car or certain clothes. All of that stuff is repulsive to me, and I find it repulsive to see these rock groups and rap groups advertising products as part of their thing, it's like they might as well be cogs working in a factory, they're just part of the whole problem as far as I'm concerned.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^i think the boat sailed on that one years ago. If you think about it, having music on a film trailer is advertising a product, so when The Day the World Went Away was used on the Terminator 4 trailer, it was advertising a really shit product (really enjoyed the trailer though). Also he said that he didn't like Heroes being used in a Microsoft commercial and then didn't one of his songs get used in an apple commercial? Or something like that. Don't know what you mean by making shit up? Does beats music not exist?
    Last edited by WorzelG; 05-12-2014 at 01:08 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Need a pm?
    I do, please!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Never mind my post. I was in a state of awe because a lot of GN's material seemed to get a bit stale and I was amazed about his new album. After listening to some more HM I just had my usual self kick back in. While Splinter is great, it's no HM.
    Last edited by GlitchyFlame; 05-12-2014 at 03:42 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    having music on a film trailer is advertising a product
    and an album is a product, too. even if trent has shown some resistance to certain types of promotion (e.g., performing live on TV with a few exceptions), he has never been completely against it.

anyway, having ideals and not always acting in support of them doesn't mean you're hypocritical - it means you're reasonable.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitchyFlame View Post
    Never mind my post. I was in a state of awe because a lot of GN's material seemed to get a bit stale and I was amazed about his new album. After listening to some more HM I just had my usual self kick back in. While Splinter is great, it's no HM.
    hey don't apologise, I haven't listened to Splinter yet which is ridiculous, but I haven't got round to burning it on itunes and its on cd, my friend bought it for me, and got it signed by him at a meet & greet thing last year - which was pretty cool

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    and an album is a product, too. even if trent has shown some resistance to certain types of promotion (e.g., performing live on TV with a few exceptions), he has never been completely against it.

anyway, having ideals and not always acting in support of them doesn't mean you're hypocritical - it means you're reasonable.
    And using his music to promote Beats Music — something he was personally involved in — is different than promoting beer or something.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horican View Post
    I think you could say that NIN is Trent and Rob now
    I think you could say that you're a fanboy. No one outside of teh ninterwebsterz cares if Trent has a best buddy/janitor/manager/AD with whom he likes to play grab ass or frolic creative ideas. It doesn't mean they're a duo.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    And using his music to promote Beats Music — something he was personally involved in — is different than promoting beer or something.
    I guess, being personally involved makes it understandable, why he decided to bless the world with one if the worst commercials ever recorded. In the end though he's using his art to sell a product... so it's not different at all.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    It is different if it's something he's involved with. When you see celebs shilling for Coke or some stupid credit card company (which seems to be the in thing these days), you can tell they're doing it for the paycheck. Trent, on the other hand, was very much involved with the creation of what the commercial was selling, and he was putting himself out there by using a piece of his music and lending his voice to the commercial. He was saying, for better or worse, "I'm endorsing this because I've worked on it and been involved with it, and because I DO believe in it." He was sincere in the commercial, not like all the other celebs who hawk increasingly ridiculous products just because they know it'll get them a big paycheck. Sure, the script was schmaltzy, but Trent sounded honest, and that's what matters in the end.

And you know what? I've sat through some awful commercials featuring names bigger than Trent. As far as celebrity commercials go, the Beats Music commercial is downright classy compared to those others.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    is different than promoting beer or something.
    I wouldn't mind if he promoted beer!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I'm not sure if a guy whose been sober for over a decade is the best person to sell beer.