Page 116 of 160 FirstFirst ... 16 66 106 114 115 116 117 118 126 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,480 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I've always thought Not So Pretty Now is a decent track, but there's no question in my mind that it's the weakest of the With Teeth era. Non-Entity is VASTLY superior and I'd be happy if they dusted that one off for the new tour.
    Not too big a fan of the full band version of Non-Entity. Mind you, the stripped-down Bridge School one is absolutely fucking gorgeous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Does anyone else find it strange that a bunch of people who listen to NIN are arguing about whether or not the album is popular and well-rated?

What does it matter? If you want to listen to popular and well-rated then go stream some Ariana Grande. If you are interested in art then make up your own mind and quit worrying about what everyone else thinks.
    I think rateyourmusic gives a well balanced view of the different albums among the music community.

(Spoiler alert: you won't find any great ratings for Ariana Grande there)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Does anyone else find it strange that a bunch of people who listen to NIN are arguing about whether or not the album is popular and well-rated?
    I personally am not arguing about that, because I don't care if it is. My argument is that, if you're going to determine how good or bad an album is, iTunes is a pretty shitty place to start looking for evidence.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I personally am not arguing about that, because I don't care if it is. My argument is that, if you're going to determine how good or bad an album is, iTunes is a pretty shitty place to start looking for evidence.
    And you COMPLETELY missed my point regarding a 3.5 star rating of an album on iTunes.

But then again you gave me shit for a day or two due to me not including Ghosts in the ranking thread, so whatever. Not gonna argue about it anymore. I thought the controversial thread was where one can be honest about their thoughts that may not be popular with uber-fans, but rarely seems to be the case.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    And you COMPLETELY missed my point regarding a 3.5 star rating of an album on iTunes.

But then again you gave me shit for a day or two due to me not including Ghosts in the ranking thread, so whatever. Not gonna argue about it anymore. I thought the controversial thread was where one can be honest about their thoughts that may not be popular with uber-fans, but rarely seems to be the case.
    Sorry, I seemed to have missed the part where I'm infringing on your ability to express your thoughts in here.

Also, I read your point, and it doesn't change my opinion at all about how iTunes is a shitty place to gauge how good an album is.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    To go back on the topic of Not So Pretty Now, it was the With Teeth Rehearsal version that had me fall in love with the song. Maybe it's the drum intro, maybe it's Aaron North's wailing guitar, maybe it's Jeordie's bass, maybe it's the catchy chorus, all I know is that I find it pretty great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Having digested all of the songs pretty well by this point, "This Isn't the Place" is starting to feel like my favorite song from the trilogy (and one of my favorite overall NIN songs). Can't really explain why, and it might change one day, but it's been one of my go-to's and I get goosebumps every time I listen to it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frothy_ham View Post
    Having digested all of the songs pretty well by this point, "This Isn't the Place" is starting to feel like my favorite song from the trilogy (and one of my favorite overall NIN songs). Can't really explain why, and it might change one day, but it's been one of my go-to's and I get goosebumps every time I listen to it.
    This Isn't The Place, The Background World, and Over And Out are so good

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frothy_ham View Post
    it is tied with "and all that could have been" as my favorite NIN song. there is just something about it that's so perfectly comforting in its sadness.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    "This Isn't The Place" almost brought me to tears the first time I heard it, mainly because I was still grieving the loss of a friend who died unexpectedly early last year. That song just resonated so much with me then, and still does over a year later.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    For me the frail/the wretched are one song

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I think that David Bowie and Trent Reznor were talking to and singing about the same spirit.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I've been listening to Stop Making Sense a ton lately and loving David Byrne's "yelling gibberish vocal flourishes" game and it made me think of Trent and his "huh/what/c'mon/yeah" thing and how he sorta sounds like a video game character in a battle with just a few pre-programmed 'generic grunt' sounds. And then I imagine Troy Baker in a recording booth for a day just trying to get Trent's "c'mon pigs" right for the upcoming officially licensed NIN video game, and how he'd have to do one higher pitched one for 88-02 Trent and another deep one for 05-current Trent.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Oh, man. My favourite Trent ad-libbing moment would be The Big Comedown in the Tension footage.

N’gah! N’gah! N’gah!
    G g g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g
    HEY! ISN’T THAT?!
    ... YEAH!

Reading 2013 where he completely loses his shit during The Warning comes close. It was a good year for Scatman Trent.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Oh, man. My favourite Trent ad-libbing moment would be The Big Comedown in the Tension footage.

N’gah! N’gah! N’gah!
    G g g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g
    HEY! ISN’T THAT?!
    ... YEAH!

Reading 2013 where he completely loses his shit during The Warning comes close. It was a good year for Scatman Trent.
    I truly appreciate you for letting me know these magical moments existed! Both videos are well worth the watch

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Reading 2013
    Just watched that whole performance, and wow. I have never seen them leave the stage that quickly.

Understandable, given the circumstances (and the crowd, who for the most part look utterly bored).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    and the crowd, who for the most part look utterly bored

I love this shot from Somewhat Damaged.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    I've been listening to Stop Making Sense a ton lately and loving David Byrne's "yelling gibberish vocal flourishes" game and it made me think of Trent and his "huh/what/c'mon/yeah" thing and how he sorta sounds like a video game character in a battle with just a few pre-programmed 'generic grunt' sounds. And then I imagine Troy Baker in a recording booth for a day just trying to get Trent's "c'mon pigs" right for the upcoming officially licensed NIN video game, and how he'd have to do one higher pitched one for 88-02 Trent and another deep one for 05-current Trent.
    Funny you make that comparison. As far as I know, the original jump grunt in an FPS was actually Trent's voice in Quake.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atu View Post
    That's the shot I remember most, too. Sums up the general opinion of festival crowds to music they don't know. Hell, I've been to a ton of shows where the entire audience was like this, and they paid specifically to see that particular band. I'd say it's just a British thing, but I've been to other shows where circle pits formed. I'll never forget how destructive the crowd was at the first London Astoria show in 2005. I lasted until March of the Pigs before almost blacking out, it was that intense.

What's funny is that the entire second half of the Reading 2013 show is made up of absolute bangers. The crowd seems more interested in acting up for the cameras than actually enjoying the music.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    So impressed with all you do...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

That vintage downward spiral shirt at 41:55 though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

N’gah! N’gah! N’gah!
    G g g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g
    HEY! ISN’T THAT?!
    ... YEAH!

I love that clip of The Warning. Just a total fuck you performance.

Ticking ticking ticking tickiiiing ticking ticking ticking ticking ticki- TICKING TICKIIII
    Last edited by loopcloses; 08-25-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    That's the shot I remember most, too. Sums up the general opinion of festival crowds to music they don't know. Hell, I've been to a ton of shows where the entire audience was like this, and they paid specifically to see that particular band. I'd say it's just a British thing, but I've been to other shows where circle pits formed. I'll never forget how destructive the crowd was at the first London Astoria show in 2005. I lasted until March of the Pigs before almost blacking out, it was that intense.

What's funny is that the entire second half of the Reading 2013 show is made up of absolute bangers. The crowd seems more interested in acting up for the cameras than actually enjoying the music.
    It just seems to be the way festival crowds have gone (certainly for Reading anyway) over recent years, if you look at footage for them playing Hurt in 2007 at Reading the crowd is really into it but recently festivals are more a teenage event for social media and the focus doesn't seem to be music at all for them unless it's really hype. it's weird because Trent used to complain about German festivals in the 2007 era but the German festival they played in 2013 the crowd was going nuts
    Last edited by WorzelG; 08-25-2018 at 04:04 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by loopcloses View Post
    I love that clip of The Warning. Just a total fuck you performance.

Ticking ticking ticking tickiiiing ticking ticking ticking ticking ticki- TICKING TICKIIII
    Agree completely. It’s also one of my favourite “Trentrums” period.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    The trio of ep’s has some inspired stuff, but as a body of work I’d rather listen to Hesitation Marks. It’s just a far sexier album and maybe the most undervalued of the nin catalog. Not to knock the ep’s, but it dosen’t cohesively work for me trying to cobble the tracks together into one album, or just bookending the ep’s as an extended listen.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    But that song is soooooooo good. It was on The Walking Dead!

If it was on there it must be good and well known now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I prefer Post-Fragile (2000s - 2010s) NIN to the old nin 90s.

Broken is overrated.

Year Zero is the best album.

Trent is still angry. People who want "Broken aggression" back are not really listening to the records all that well.

People care too much about what is acessible and not; something being acessible doesn't make it worse, nor better of course.

With_Teeth is an amazing album with amazing track-list and pacing, fast, fun and aggressive from top to bottom.
    Last edited by JustARandomGuy; 09-08-2018 at 06:51 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustARandomGuy View Post
    I prefer Post-Fragile (2000s - 2010s) NIN to the old nin 90s.

Broken is overrated.

Year Zero is the best album.

Trent is still angry. People who want "Broken aggression" back are not really listening to the records all that well.

People care too much about what is acessible and not; something being acessible doesn't make it worse, nor better of course.

With_Teeth is an amazing album with amazing track-list and pacing, fast, fun and aggressive from top to bottom.
    I’m fairly confident that those who tend to believe that Broken is overrated weren’t around as fans for the release of it. Especially if the aggression aspect is the reason for the appreciation.

Not to say say your opinion is wrong, but Broken was a revelation, a reinvention, and a declaration. Combine it with the shows that followed TDS (and which heavily featured Broken era tracks) and you have a level of aggression that has not been seen from the band since.

However, age is a factor here. Until Hesitation Marks (and the Trilogy), I had been the guy who always put Broken on the top of my list of favorite NIN albums. Hesitation Marks changed that, and if I take the Trilogy as one release, it moves the bar even further from Broken. But Year Zero is right there... it’s a masterpiece (ARG/world building or no). But Hesitation Marks opened the door for future NIN. It reset a counter. And it was mature...

but for raw aggression, nothing touches Broken. Not even YZ or the Trilogy’s heaviest moments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamecat235 View Post
    I’m fairly confident that those who tend to believe that Broken is overrated weren’t around as fans for the release of it. Especially if the aggression aspect is the reason for the appreciation.

Not to say say your opinion is wrong, but Broken was a revelation, a reinvention, and a declaration. Combine it with the shows that followed TDS (and which heavily featured Broken era tracks) and you have a level of aggression that has not been seen from the band since.

However, age is a factor here. Until Hesitation Marks (and the Trilogy), I had been the guy who always put Broken on the top of my list of favorite NIN albums. Hesitation Marks changed that, and if I take the Trilogy as one release, it moves the bar even further from Broken. But Year Zero is right there... it’s a masterpiece (ARG/world building or no). But Hesitation Marks opened the door for future NIN. It reset a counter. And it was mature...

but for raw aggression, nothing touches Broken. Not even YZ or the Trilogy’s heaviest moments.
    Yes, it's angry, definetelly, but I feel like stuff like The Downward Spiral or NTAE hit much harder, at least to me personally, I feel like the only track that really lives up to Broken's reputation is "Happiness In Slavery", which is really is pretty fucking hard hitting, but as a whole, Broken always kind of disappoints me, and it's not like the new NIN is how I got into NIN, my first albums were TDS and indeed, Broken, I mean Wish and Last, they're amazingly angry tracks, but it's not like I'd put them as angriest. I realize the massive jump that is there, I mean this is after Pretty Hate Machine. But I just get tired of people asking for Broken when stuff like "Burning Bright" exists, which I find to be far more violent and impactful than anything on Broken, especially its second verse. Which I think is just absolutely insane, let's not even mention recent "Ahead Of Ourselves", which I also think really matches that if not more, .

It gets even more annoying when people genuinelly try to act like it's not angry, there were people who were downright offended at any comments about NTAE being aggressive when it was released. I'm just kind of convinced that those type of people will never be satisfied, just in general, in art, there is an obvious bias and nostalgia towards older materiaL and this isn't even about just NIN anymore.

My point being, asking for Broken after NTAE and Bad Witch seems ridiculous, but that is just me, maybe I'm just annoyed from visiting Facebook so much and reading frankly awful YouTube comments, who knows?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustARandomGuy View Post
    Yes, it's angry, definetelly, but I feel like stuff like The Downward Spiral or NTAE hit much harder, at least to me personally, I feel like the only track that really lives up to Broken's reputation is "Happiness In Slavery", which is really is pretty fucking hard hitting, but as a whole, Broken always kind of disappoints me, and it's not like the new NIN is how I got into NIN, my first albums were TDS and indeed, Broken, I mean Wish and Last, they're amazingly angry tracks, but it's not like I'd put them as angriest. I realize the massive jump that is there, I mean this is after Pretty Hate Machine. But I just get tired of people asking for Broken when stuff like "Burning Bright" exists, which I find to be far more violent and impactful than anything on Broken, especially its second verse. Which I think is just absolutely insane, let's not even mention recent "Ahead Of Ourselves", which I also think really matches that if not more, .

It gets even more annoying when people genuinelly try to act like it's not angry, there were people who were downright offended at any comments about NTAE being aggressive when it was released. I'm just kind of convinced that those type of people will never be satisfied, just in general, in art, there is an obvious bias and nostalgia towards older materiaL and this isn't even about just NIN anymore.

My point being, asking for Broken after NTAE and Bad Witch seems ridiculous, but that is just me, maybe I'm just annoyed from visiting Facebook so much and reading frankly awful YouTube comments, who knows?
    I don't recall anyone saying NTAE wasn't violent. You may be reading comments in the wrong places.

Why even bother comparing Broken with the Trilogy material? They're at almost opposite ends of TR's musical career with NIN. They're both angry, but in completely different ways. May as well have been written by a different band. Broken is like touching a live wire. The Trilogy is... complicated; desperate, terrified, frustrated, anxious, furious, disconnected. It sounds to me like how a panic attack feels.

Some people really can't get into the new stuff because sonically, it sounds so disparate from the material they grew up with in the early 90s. For them, that material *IS* NIN. Maybe it came along at an important time in their life. Maybe they just like big stadium tunes they can scream along to. You can't exactly dance to a sludgy, doom shoegaze song like Burning Bright. It's difficult and uncomfortable to listen to and the vocals are buried, so that human connection isn't immediately there.

Some people just can't be bothered with music that isn't instantly gratifying. For them, it's all about those nostalgia goggles. And the 'Fuck You Like An Animal' song.

Advice: try not to read Youtube comments, and either get off Facebook or ignore the comments. Social media is the cult of outrage. Real fans at least attempt to enjoy something before spewing hatevomit all over the web.