Page 103 of 160 FirstFirst ... 3 53 93 101 102 103 104 105 113 153 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,090 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    Hard to imagine him singing something along the lines up "Now I'm slipping on the tears you made me cry" on Bad Witch.
    I really hope not.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anduril View Post
    I really hope not.
    I would laugh my ass off if he slipped something like that in one of the songs though. I have high hopes for Shit Mirror.

I think the infected japanese line on Branches/Bones is the most odd line he's done in a looonggg time. But gotdamn that song is soooo good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i would laugh my ass off if he slipped something like that in one of the songs though. I have high hopes for shit mirror.

I think the infected japanese line on branches/bones is the most odd line he's done in a looonggg time. But gotdamn that song is soooo good.
    i am a field on fiiirreee!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I think I've said this before, but I actually like Getting Smaller. A lot.

Was one of my absolute favorites when I first heard it even

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post

I agree with this. Underrated song

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I would laugh my ass off if he slipped something like that in one of the songs though. I have high hopes for Shit Mirror.

I think the infected japanese line on Branches/Bones is the most odd line he's done in a looonggg time. But gotdamn that song is soooo good.
    It always reminds me of:

"The shrieking of nothing is killing, just pictures of Jap girls in synthesis and I ain't got no money and I ain't got no hair"

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    There are tons of side-topics going on within the God Breaks Down the Door thread about what songs and better than what and just how bad is this new song in comparison to "Everything"
    @Toadflax was brave enough to say that "Everything" was better than all of these songs: The Hand That Feeds, The Beginning of the End, Capital G, Came Back Haunted, Less Than, I Ghosts 6, Not So Pretty Now, Deep, 1,000,000, Letting You...

He then told everyone to fight him.

Instead of clogging up that thread with all of that, I wanted to continue it over here, because a lot of it is turning into a controversial NIN opinion.

I am curious, what do you guys consider NIN's worst songs? Toadflax has wrote a ton of mediocre songs there, none of which I agree are worse than everything, but I wouldn't say any of those would belong in the "worst NIN song" category either.

For me? Damn... Let's take a look here... worst songs in the NIN Discography...

-Hurt
    -Closer
    -Only
    -Right Where It Belongs
    -Corona Radiata
    -Discipline
    -The Greater Good
    -Another Version of the truth
    -All Time Low
    -Everything
    -Satellite
    -Running
    -The Lovers

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    My controversial opinion is that there is no NIN song I hate. I guess my controversial opinion is that I utterly adore every track on The Slip, that album doesn't seem liked around here

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    There are tons of side-topics going on within the God Breaks Down the Door thread about what songs and better than what and just how bad is this new song in comparison to "Everything"
    @Toadflax was brave enough to say that "Everything" was better than all of these songs: The Hand That Feeds, The Beginning of the End, Capital G, Came Back Haunted, Less Than, I Ghosts 6, Not So Pretty Now, Deep, 1,000,000, Letting You...

Instead of clogging up that thread with all of that, I wanted to continue it over here, because a lot of it is turning into a controversial NIN opinion.

I am curious, what do you guys consider NIN's worst songs? Toadflax has wrote a ton of mediocre songs there, none of which I agree are worse than everything, but I wouldn't say any of those would belong in the "worst NIN song" category either.

-Hurt
    -Closer
    -Only
    -Right Where It Belongs
    -Corona Radiata
    -Discipline
    -The Greater Good
    -All Time Low
    -Everything
    -Satellite
    -Running
    -The Lovers
    Honestly, the hatred towards Everything is like the definition of knee-jerk reaction. It's like with Justin Bieber, where people who never even heard him were talking shit about him in YT comments.

Anyway, worst is a rather subjective thing. I mean, I don't like this new song, hell, maybe it's my least favorite NIN song, yet I'd put Disappointed much, much higher on my shit list. To me, a shit NIN song where Trent doesn't even try, despite him being a genius bastard.

I also love all his disco hits, because I don't think being that just because a song is easy to digest and easy to dance to is necessarily bad. Quite the contrary! It's quite impressive to make fucking awesome, commercial songs like THTF or Less Then, while still maintaining your artistic integrity.

There is one exception I want to mention however. The studio version of Only. That is the most bland and shitty sounding NIN track out there. I always put the live version on my music players.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    Honestly, the hatred towards Everything is like the definition of knee-jerk reaction. It's like with Justin Bieber, where people who never even heard him were talking shit about him in YT comments.

Anyway, worst is a rather subjective thing. I mean, I don't like this new song, hell, maybe it's my least favorite NIN song, yet I'd put Disappointed much, much higher on my shit list. To me, a shit NIN song where Trent doesn't even try, despite him being a genius bastard.

I also love all his disco hits, because I don't think being that just because a song is easy to digest and easy to dance to is necessarily bad. Quite the contrary! It's quite impressive to make fucking awesome, commercial songs like THTF or Less Then, while still maintaining your artistic integrity.

There is one exception I want to mention however. The studio version of Only. That is the most bland and shitty sounding NIN track out there. I always put the live version on my music players.
    I'm vibing a lot of your posts lately.

\\\

The song for Tetsuo: The Bullet Man is one of the best things Trent has ever done.

Every EP (or LP) of the trilogy has brought and is continuing to bring out its share of weak sauces, but "Not Anymore" has always been a delight.

Hesitation Marks is totally the one NIN album I'd take with me on a deserted island. On a more serious note, I'd probably put the disc in place of (Right) for The Fragile.

"Running" is fantastic
    "Satellite" is still total shit
    ”Disappointed” is self-explanatory
    "Everything" is just so lovable

Year Zero is the worst release Trent has ever put out.
    Last edited by Amaro; 05-18-2018 at 12:45 AM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaro View Post
    "Everything" is just so lovable

Completely agree.

Hell, I couldn't stop grinning ear to ear the first time I heard Everything. It's VERY different ... but there's almost this slight melancholy in the chord progression to it. It's hard to explain. I always felt like that could've been the very last song Trent released as Nine Inch Nails and that would have been a very fitting farewell ... after all this tortured music throughout the years, he finally finds peace in everything and himself. Hell, even the ending of the song sounds like someone floating into the air against this wall of noise.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

-Hurt
    -Closer
    -Only
    -Right Where It Belongs
    -Corona Radiata
    -Discipline
    -The Greater Good
    -All Time Low
    -Everything
    -Satellite
    -Running
    -The Lovers
    I couldn't disagree more with that list of songs you consider the worst! Right where it belongs? The only ones I could agree with are Running, and Everything. All the others, just no. The Lovers is still my favourite from these EPs. the collector is a song I've never really gelled with but I LOVE every day is exactly the same which seems to get a lot of shit. I think it's a perfect pop song

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I couldn't disagree more with that list of songs you consider the worst! Right where it belongs? The only ones I could agree with are Running, and Everything. All the others, just no. The Lovers is still my favourite from these EPs. the collector is a song I've never really gelled with but I LOVE every day is exactly the same which seems to get a lot of shit. I think it's a perfect pop song
    Well, that's why this is the controversial opinions thread, lol.

I like EDIETS, gets a lot of flack for sure, but it's not that bad. I wouldn't put it in the top songs category by any stretch. There are a lot of songs that are just kind of there.

Right Where it belongs does nothing for me. Sounds like you're on a merry go round riding the zebra and tiger animal statues going up and down at the carnival.

If the lovers is your favourite, it just shows how drastically different music appeals to different people.
    If I had to pick the best 3 tracks between NTAE and AV I would say:
    1) The Idea Of You
    2) Burning Bright (field on Fire)
    3) The Background World.

Hell, all of NTAE is amazing. Not a single track on that whole EP I dislike. I went to revisit Add Violence the other day, and it didn't hold up as well as when I first heard it last summer. It's not bad, the only songs I really find myself going back to are "This isn't the place" "Not anymore" and "The Background World"

The Lovers is easily the track I hate the most between the 2 EPs. I'd be curious to know what you consider the weakest track on both EPs.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaro View Post

"Satellite" is still total shit
    ”Disappointed” is self-explanatory

Least we can both agree that Satellite sucks, but I actually really like disappointed. One of the better tracks on that record for me.
    But Year Zero the worst!? Wow...

I'll admit, I didn't like YZ at first, but it has grown so much on me in the last decade. It's one of his better records. The worst hands down goes to Hesitations Marks for me.
    I can easily turn HM into a 6 track EP.

1. Copy of A
    2. Disappointed
    3. Find My Way
    4. In Two
    5. While I'm still here
    6. Black Noise
    Last edited by ManBurning; 05-17-2018 at 04:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The little love Satellite gets took me a bit by surprise, considering it's my favourite from HM and it's a general favourite among my circle of friends.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shunt View Post
    The little love Satellite gets took me a bit by surprise, considering it's my favourite from HM and it's a general favourite among my circle of friends.
    Yeah I like it quite a bit a lot too. It just doesn't speak to some people. Why not.

Though it's always a bit egotistical when someone just says "it's shit, it sucks" when clearly other people love it, coming from NIN, two people who really try something, artistically.
    It just speaks to you or not, you just don't like or something. The simple thing everyone knows but always throws out of the window when it really matters. Really weird to be like this when you're supposedly a fan, on a fan forum.
    Incredibly self-centered way to think of a piece of music when you supposedly have access to the bigger picture.
    The music is not just there to entertain you, nor was it made for you only, fucking hell.
    A bit of nuance changes everything.

So, nothing new. Satellite is great.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Well, that's why this is the controversial opinions thread, lol.

I like EDIETS, gets a lot of flack for sure, but it's not that bad. I wouldn't put it in the top songs category by any stretch. There are a lot of songs that are just kind of there.

Right Where it belongs does nothing for me. Sounds like you're on a merry go round riding the zebra and tiger animal statues going up and down at the carnival.

If the lovers is your favourite, it just shows how drastically different music appeals to different people.
    If I had to pick the best 3 tracks between NTAE and AV I would say:
    1) The Idea Of You
    2) Burning Bright (field on Fire)
    3) The Background World.

Hell, all of NTAE is amazing. Not a single track on that whole EP I dislike. I went to revisit Add Violence the other day, and it didn't hold up as well as when I first heard it last summer. It's not bad, the only songs I really find myself going back to are "This isn't the place" "Not anymore" and "The Background World"

The Lovers is easily the track I hate the most between the 2 EPs. I'd be curious to know what you consider the weakest track on both EPs.

Least we can both agree that Satellite sucks, but I actually really like disappointed. One of the better tracks on that record for me.
    But Year Zero the worst!? Wow...

I'll admit, I didn't like YZ at first, but it has grown so much on me in the last decade. It's one of his better records. The worst hands down goes to Hesitations Marks for me.
    I can easily turn HM into a 6 track EP.

1. Copy of A
    2. Disappointed
    3. Find My Way
    4. In Two
    5. While I'm still here
    6. Black Noise
    Probably my least played songs on the EPs are Less Than because I overplayed it, and She’s Gone Away because it’s just a bit overlong without changing up enough. I love the ones you mentioned though, I just love the trip hop vibe of The Lovers the most

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, I just thought it would be a more or less generally appreciated track.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Hey @ManBurning , how does one seriously put Closer and Hurt on the worst songs list? If it’s fatigue that’s one thing but if it is indeed that it doesn’t make for a bad song.

Im not a big fan of Satellite, but it’s got a couple things going for it. If you listen to it with a subwoofer it’s got some really cool low end. The other is it was the visual highlight for me during Tension- even though it wasn’t a nightly staple.

Most of these EP songs aren’t doing much for me. The Lovers is terrible IMHO. More generic beats, and repetitive lyrics, and the song really goes nowhere. I’m picking on this song more than others probably since it was one of the few played live and had some publicity to it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post

Loved it live in Philly in 2008 - and absolutely love the 5.1 surround mix. Must work out how to rip (and play) that easily from my laptop through my setup again...

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Hey @ManBurning , how does one seriously put Closer and Hurt on the worst songs list? If it’s fatigue that’s one thing but if it is indeed that it doesn’t make for a bad song.

Im not a big fan of Satellite, but it’s got a couple things going for it. If you listen to it with a subwoofer it’s got some really cool low end. The other is it was the visual highlight for me during Tension- even though it wasn’t a nightly staple.

Most of these EP songs aren’t doing much for me. The Lovers is terrible IMHO. More generic beats, and repetitive lyrics, and the song really goes nowhere. I’m picking on this song more than others probably since it was one of the few played live and had some publicity to it.
    Part of my hatred for Hurt and Closer could very well be fatigue. But then again, I look at all the other overplayed songs, THTF, HLAH, Survivalism, MOTP and while I am sick of those too, I wouldn't say they are bad songs. With Hurt, I don't think I ever liked hurt. I never liked that song, when back in the day. Just something about it. As for Closer, that's another one I don't really have fond memories of ever enjoying. I always found the lyrics a tad childish. I cringe at the thought of listening to that now thati'm in my 30s, I could just imagine how it is for Trent having to SING it night after night in his 50's! I don't know why he never kept that song retired. He retired it for a our or two, and then brought it back again for whatever reason.

At least we can agree that The Lovers is just a downright bland, boring and repetitive song that doesn't go anywhere. I really don't see why so many people love that song. It was even worse live. That song does not translate to a live environment at all.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    The Me I’m Not 14 minute remix gets a lot of shit but I exercised to it and it really focuses the mind. I like it now but I probably wouldn’t listen to it on its own

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i've said this a bunch of times, but i will never change my mind about Capital G being the worst song trent has ever created.

if i want to listen to "the way you make me feel" i'll listen to the michael jackson version.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i've said this a bunch of times, but i will never change my mind about Capital G being the worst song trent has ever created.

if i want to listen to "the way you make me feel" i'll listen to the michael jackson version.
    But...but everything.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    But...but everything.
    yeah, i LIKE "everything" dude. we've been over this. i think it's a good song, and is actually one of the highlights of HM. #sorrynotsorry

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

The way he sings the verses are so strange too ... I PUSH DA BUTTON AND A ELECTED HIM TO OFFICE AND UH! I can't get this image of a like a rabbit bouncing to the style of his singing out of my head and I laugh at it every time.

Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    But...but everything.
    Tony hates fun confirmed. <3

But for real, I guess my love of certain types of bands that have a similar vibe makes me adore that track even though I prefer my Nine Inch Nails to be abrasive, tortured and experimental. It's weird. It's like a weird hybrid of the Cure played at a much faster pace with lots of indie groups I adore.
    Last edited by thefragile_jake; 05-18-2018 at 09:04 AM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Purest Feeling exists, so no.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    God I love that song ... ahhahahaha

"WELL I THINK IM GONNA PUSH ITTTTT"

I'm a sucker for saxophone.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    There is no worse nine inch nails song than Not So Pretty Now.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    God I love that song ... ahhahahaha

"WELL I THINK IM GONNA PUSH ITTTTT"

I'm a sucker for saxophone.
    I love the sax with the kind of awkward FM or wavetable sounding 80s synthbass preset. It's a window into how an alternate universe NIN might have sounded without Trent's mild (and sometimes worse) once-chronic depression. It's one of eight or so misc. NIN tracks I keep on my phone.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    i like that song