Page 100 of 100 FirstFirst ... 50 90 98 99 100
Results 2,971 to 2,981 of 2981

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkocracy View Post
    Zero-Sum and Lights in the Sky are easily two of my favorite NIN songs, and I often feel weird about that since they're so antithetical of the larger catalog. I wanted to post that in this thread because I don't often see a lot of love for these songs and I wondered if they're reviled or just ...meh... to most.

Maybe it's because I lost my mother during that era, but man. Both of those songs pack a wallop, even just taken on their sonic merits. The piano hook from Zero-Sum is haunting.
    Zero-Sum is also one of my favorite songs NIN has ever done! For me, it always brings up ideas about determinism and the individual becoming aware they aren't really in control. Even though it feels like they are and the uneasiness, as well as the freedom, that comes with that realization. Come to think of it lots of NIN songs bring these ideas to the front but this one does so perfectly using the narrative of year zero.

I've always thought Zero-Sum never got much hype because of the fact the vocals are buried so deep in the mix so maybe some people never really find a way to connect to the bare bones of the song. I'd love to hear a version that is akin to something off of Still so the words and theme could shine a little more, plus that piano riff would be excellent in that context.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    If you don't listen to The Background World in full every single time there's something wrong with you. Maybe looped noise stuff isn't to everyone's taste, but even if it's just on principle, y'know?
    I may very well be crazy but I actually do legitimately enjoy that loop every time i listen to it. The first time i heard it i didn't see it as something worth returning to but when i'd listen to just the song i would miss it. There is something meditative about it, idk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The lyrics/vocals in Zero-Sum really make it different for me. It’s cynical but it’s still so optimistic, it’s just very... human. And far the whisper/spoken delivery really drives home the determinism (great way to phrase the theme of the song btw, I agree). There’s something about the way TR delivers “I guess I just wanted to tell you, as the lights start to fade/you’re the reason, that I’m not afraid”... a line like that could be so cheesy, but the delivery destroys my cold, cold heart every time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    I may very well be crazy but I actually do legitimately enjoy that loop every time i listen to it. The first time i heard it i didn't see it as something worth returning to but when i'd listen to just the song i would miss it. There is something meditative about it, idk
    Agreed; the song really is built to include that loop, not just use it as a postscript. The live version totally proved to me how hollow the song seems without it. God I fuckin love The Background World with all its sonic decay.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Welcome Oblivion was designed for molly.

Add Violence, specifically TBG was designed for contemplating strong friendships that got strained under matters such as money, money... and money.

NIN's music has a scary implicationa, but the role it advises for you to take... is pretty straightforward.

It isn't an inspiration to self-destruction. Quite the opposite.

edit: ignore this mess, I was drunkposting last night.
    Last edited by Microwave Jellyfish; 10-29-2017 at 04:33 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    "Satellite" seemingly is underappreciated here, and probably does so because it's from Hesitation Marks (not that anyone here hates it, it's just not as appreciated)

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    it's not b/c it's specifically from HM, it's b/c it's a forgettable dance track that fits to a T the biggest complaints about newer NIN: repetitious bleep bloop loops, same-y drones come in & out in the most obvious places, no bite, no edge. Muted singing with kinda goofy lyrics too.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Someone mentioned that it was reminiscent of a Justin Timberlake track. That was pretty accurate and it kind of killed it for me, personally.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Damn. I didn't think it'd be that controversial, but Satellite is a real favourite of mine. I'm extremely upset that I'll probably never see it performed live. More uptempo funk-tinged dance tracks for the third EP please!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    forgettable dance track that fits to a T the biggest complaints about newer NIN: repetitious bleep bloop loops, same-y drones come in & out in the most obvious places, no bite, no edge. Muted singing with kinda goofy lyrics too.
    This times a million. Along with too many generic electronic beats. Trent used to have a great sense of how to combine the more traditional analog instruments (that sometimes managed to sound electronic) with his synth/keyboard/electronic gear (that somehow at times managed to sound like traditional analog instruments). Not much a fan of the Atticus Reznor stuff these days. The line has blurred- no pun intended- and all the soundtrack work, HTDA, and NIN seems to be interchangeable.

Im actually bummed about it since Iíve loved so much of the music over the years, and NIN/Trent will probably be my favorite band/musician to the day I croak. Just donít have any high expectations for releases anymore even if I can find a track or two that I like.

Le sigh. :/

They did sound great at Riot Fest though. Hoping for some eye candy though during the next tour.

/rambling]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Valid complaints, I'll give you all that. Maybe I enjoy it just because of it's ambient nature or I actually like dance tracks. Who knows