Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Kendrick Lamar

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Kendrick Lamar

Fuck the hip-hop catch all thread. Homie deserves his own thread. Not only has he put out the one of the best hip hop LP's of all time (yeah, I said it), he's declared war on hip hop on Big Sean's new track. Good Kid Mad City was probably my second favorite album of last year and I don't know if there's anyone more hungry in the game than K Dot, he's a special talent. He's real hip hop in a world of fake thugs. He's a born story teller and the best thing the west coast has seen in years. Anyone agree?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Absolutely. He's fucking awesome.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    GKMC was one of the best albums of 2012 without question. I loved the shit out of that record and Kendrick shows no signs of stopping. I can only imagine what the proper follow up will sound like.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Opening for Yeezus!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Also check out Section 80...SOOO GOOD.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Kendrick is incredible! Such a breath of fresh air in terms of all the new hip hop artists that have come out in the last 10 years.

Heard his name around but had absolutely no idea what he sounded like until about this time last year. I followed Deftones around the country on their Aus tour and before they came on stage each night they played Swimming Pools and it blew my mind. So good!

They were also supported by Hyro da Hero who was fucking amazing!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Kendrick is fucking great.
    Also i get the impression that he might have been in recovery or had a bit of a drinking problem, which kind of endears him to me.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Seeing him at The Hudson Music Project!! You guys should check out the lady he just signed "SZA". She is just incredible and her new album "Z" just came out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Shit, this dude is on FIRE. Fantastic track. I'm going to go ahead and call it now. His new LP will be the first 10.0 BNM album in 5 years.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Another new one "King Kunta".
    http://pitchfork.com/news/58843-kend...ck-king-kunta/

I like this one the most out of all three tracks released so far, and that's saying something.

I truly feel like this is going to end up being one of the best albums ever made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The album is out on iTunes and Spotify.

It is FUNKY. AS. SHIT. Mah gawd.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Listened to it twice now, and that's still not remotely near enough to make a definative call on this album. What I do feel after these two tracks is that this is a near flawlessly put together, very sprawling, all encompassing album. It transcends the Hip Hop genre on so many levels. The funk/jazz/soul elements are ridiculously good. "u" is a practically a game changer, with K Dot pulling a Jonathan Davis in the second half. The new "live" version of "i" also pretty much blows the roof off of the second half of the album. I love this version. Also the build up of the fake interview with Tupac is really cool. I just really love this album. It's pretty much everything I wanted it to be. The only disappointment that I have is that the track he did on Colbert Report isn't on here. But, when the rest of the album is this good, fuck it.

Like I said, still too early to call it, but I feel like this could end up being one of the best hip hop albums of all time.

[/hyperbole]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Listened to it twice now, and that's still not remotely near enough to make a definative call on this album. What I do feel after these two tracks is that this is a near flawlessly put together, very sprawling, all encompassing album. It transcends the Hip Hop genre on so many levels. The funk/jazz/soul elements are ridiculously good. "u" is a practically a game changer, with K Dot pulling a Jonathan Davis in the second half. The new "live" version of "i" also pretty much blows the roof off of the second half of the album. I love this version. Also the build up of the fake interview with Tupac is really cool. I just really love this album. It's pretty much everything I wanted it to be. The only disappointment that I have is that the track he did on Colbert Report isn't on here. But, when the rest of the album is this good, fuck it.

Like I said, still too early to call it, but I feel like this could end up being one of the best hip hop albums of all time.

[/hyperbole]
    Agreed on practically all points. I can't think of an artist who has put out a lead single and then radically reworked it for the actual album (in regards to "i").

In regards to the untitled track, I have hopes for it being a bonus track on a future deluxe version of the album. But seeing how cohesively the album flows as is, I'm not too disappointed that it's not on there. It would be a plus, yes. But the lack of the song isn't in and of itself a negative.

And while it may be hyperbole to say it's one of the best of all time, I do feel it will be considered a classic hip-hop album of the era, along with GKMC.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    What a trip of a record. Goes by like a breeze despite its length.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I need to try again. I still don't understand the excitement over him.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    The messages on this album need to be heard. We don't know how much we've been poisoned by News Media/Law Enforcement/Government culture. Black people have been targeted and it's an unceasing agenda now ingrained in the mass subconscious. When I see black people I go in automatic alert mode and I know this shouldn't be. Programming in my subconscious.

Key song: The Blacker The Berry

Other good tracks are King Kunta, These Walls, Complexion and Institutionalized.

However, there are a few songs on here I don't care for: The first 2 tracks for instance...
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 03-22-2015 at 07:28 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I hope this doesn't sound disingenuous, but so much of this album reminds me of The Roots' latest LP. I am absolutely in love with this record, but it will take me some time to really be able to give my thoughts on it. This is a dense motherfucker.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    its too dope

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    So not too many people talking about to pimp a butterfly. I absolutely love it. the live band really makes the album, although I'm not too big on thundercat.

Also, where the hell is the vinyl release?!!!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I was never a huge fan. Didn't get hooked by good kidmaadcity and thought that a lot of his feature verses ( 1 Train, Control, etc) were good but not great. As a west coast rapper he doesn't have that affinity for east coast punchlines that I really like. Anywaaaaaay I decided to check out this new one and I cannot think of another time in my life where I listened to an entire record for the first time and then immediately played it again from the start. Phenomenal. After 4 listens I cannot find anything that I do not like about this album. It's a masterful and heavy hiphop record that manages to transcend the genre by cosmic proportions.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I can't really add anything else that all of the 10/10 praises haven't already stated. That Tupac conversation at the end is really something else and the fact that it was pulled off without sounding even remotely as ridiculous as it sounds on paper is a testament to Kendrick's creative talent.

What I truly hope for in the aftermath of this album is some kind of influence on hip-hop in general by the production of Thundercat and Flying Lotus. I'm sick to fucking death of all the current copypasta Lex Luger and trap beats that get slapped together in less time than the actual length of the tracks they're used for.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    With the way that white America responded to Bey's Super Bowl performances, there are sure to be riots after Kendrick's Grammy spot.

Well done.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    With the way that white America responded to Bey's Super Bowl performances, there are sure to be riots after Kendrick's Grammy spot.

Well done.
    Kendrick is an actual legitimate artist with legitimate things to say though, Beyonce is a robot puppet that just violently shakes and convulses on stage.
    Nothing will be said about the performance other than praise.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    brb, making you a misogyny thread.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    what does "legitimate" even mean, they're both fine.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    brb, making you a misogyny thread.
    I'd rather be labeled a misogynist than a racist any day.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    I'd rather be labeled a misogynist than a racist any day.
    You know, you don't have to be either one.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    He lost to Taylor Swift? What the fuck?