Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Kendrick Lamar

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    You know, you don't have to be either one.
    Just because someone calls you something doesn't mean you are that something, that's the best part of the truth...it's true no matter what anyone else tries to say.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    while it lasts

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    wait... disliking Beyonce makes you a misogynist? Or am I missing something?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The Grammy's are dumb etc. etc. etc. "night to be disrespected tweet" and all that but TPaB so deserved that award out of all the nominees. America's favorite white girl strikes again.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Beyonce's performance at the Superbowl included Black Lives Matter images that she got a lot of shit for from the NYPD and the NFL, so it wasn't just some bimbo performance, I don't know what these guys are talking about.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Beyonce's performance at the Superbowl included Black Lives Matter images that she got a lot of shit for from the NYPD and the NFL, so it wasn't just some bimbo performance, I don't know what these guys are talking about.
    I don't want to drift too bad, but it just had black panther jackets and "move girls get in formation!" chants. It was about as deep as Taylor Swift...Lamar is going to be praised heavily because he deserves it and the performance and message had depth.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    I don't want to drift too bad, but it just had black panther jackets and "move girls get in formation!" chants. It was about as deep as Taylor Swift...Lamar is going to be praised heavily because he deserves it and the performance and message had depth.
    Says the white guy. There was an "X" on the ground representing Malcolm X. They were chanting "Don't shoot us!" They were standing on a police car. To do this at a Superbowl halftime show, well, yeah, it was better than Bruno Mars. The message wasn't meant for us white people, really. But it's a silly comparison, I don't see why you're bringing it up here. We were also discussing Kanye West vs. Kendrick Lamar in the Kanye thread, no comparison as far as messages and they're both black dudes. Kanye's talking about who screwed his wife first and what meds he's on and if Rob lost weight.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-16-2016 at 12:06 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    the issue wasn't your opinion of her superbowl performance, it was claiming that she is "robot puppet" and not "legitimate"

like her music or don't, but she puts in the work and always has

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emptydesk View Post
    the issue wasn't your opinion of her superbowl performance, it was claiming that she is "robot puppet" and not "legitimate"

like her music or don't, but she puts in the work and always has
    I don't really have a strong opinion on Beyonce either way... but I don't see how calling her a "robot puppet" or saying she's not a legitimate artist is indicative of misogyny.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I don't really have a strong opinion on Beyonce either way... but I don't see how calling her a "robot puppet" or saying she's not a legitimate artist is indicative of misogyny.
    Well, it is when Tony says it. <---sarcism
    Last edited by allegro; 02-16-2016 at 12:28 AM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    EDIT: I was quick with the facepalm, sorry @allegro lol
    Last edited by tony.parente; 02-16-2016 at 12:29 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    i'm not the one who called him misogynist, just fyi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This was the first time I've seen Lamar and heard him....not impressed, reminds me of an overhyped Kanye when he started. What happened to actually being a musician? or actually singing?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by downward View Post
    This was the first time I've seen Lamar and heard him....not impressed, reminds me of an overhyped Kanye when he started. What happened to actually being a musician? or actually singing?
    yeah this rap crap's a buncha clicks and whistles if you ask me. call me when this fad blows over!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Really dug Kendrick's performance. Can't really comment on album of the year or whatever as I haven't heard many of them. TPaB definitely is a great album though. And Kendrick won a lot of awards and got a lot of exposure. Put on a great performance.

I remember a buddy of mine telling me how good Kendrick was well before his first album. Then I didn't really care for that album (or the next). But TPaB is more what I was expecting the first time around.
    Last edited by SaintNoir; 02-16-2016 at 07:34 AM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    A rap star isn't singing... What a weird complaint.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    My mind is blown how ALL OF A SUDDEN white people decided to start saying racist shit about Kendrick to discredit his abilities as an artist. My fucking twitter and facebook feed last night was nothing but annoyed suburban white people basically saying Kendrick didn't belong up there with his "offensive" performance. It's like, in the past week, between Beyonce, Kanye, and Kendrick, white people just lost their minds at Black Culture taking over the media.

Get the fuck over yourselves.
    Last edited by richardp; 02-16-2016 at 12:18 PM. Reason: typoooo

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    White guilt.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Anyone have a link to where I can watch the Grammy performance? All I can find on YouTube is discussions about it. Thanks

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    My mind is blown how ALL OF A SUDDEN white people decided to start saying racist shit about Kendrick to discredit his abilities as an artist. My fucking twitter and facebook feed last night was nothing but annoyed suburban white people basically saying Kendrick didn't belong up there with his "offensive" performance. It's like, in the past week, between Beyonce, Kanye, and Kendrick, white people just lost their minds at Black Culture taking over the media.

Get the fuck over yourselves.
    I just saw this, and i'm not doubting you but could you post someone saying his performance was racist? Literally haven't seen anything but praise on it.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I just saw this, and i'm not doubting you but could you post someone saying his performance was racist? Literally haven't seen anything but praise on it.
    Here's a screenshot I took of one of them, most others that I saw were in a Grammys status someone I work with posted that a bunch of people were posting in. I also saw a few scattered about in the "You friend commented on this article" shit that pops up on Facebook.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Yeah... Basically go to literally any comment section about it, and the top few comments will be some thinly, or not so thinly veiled racism. I mean, in news that should surprise nobody.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Well, to be fair, the performance was "disturbing" but in a much-needed way. The country needs to be "disturbed" in this way, to shake things up with reality. So it WAS disturbing, it was meant to be disturbing, mission accomplished.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-19-2016 at 12:35 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    That's not how she was meaning it though.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i did my white boy damnest to karaoke swimming pools on friday at a gay dive bar in twin. i killed it until the second verse but no one noticed how tongue tied i got. recovered at the end.

after hearing "picture" by kid rock and "loveshack," it was kind of a thing. way fun.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I can do the verses of "Alright" perfectly. So many n words in the hook, though. Inappropriate.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    http://www.brooklynvegan.com/surpris...-hits-spotify/

Unannounced projet dropped on Spotify(can't play it until midnight, though).

Also -
    Last edited by Sarah K; 03-03-2016 at 08:47 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    This album is HEEEEAT. I love every song on it. What a perfect little companion to To Pimp A Butterfly.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Oh hell yes.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Giving it the first listen right now!