Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Interstellar

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This was a beautiful movie with a fantastic score that made no sense. I enjoyed watching it, but I don't think I'll ever watch it again.

SPOILERS:
    --------------------
    Spoiler: Is it ever explained how the time-loop was initiated? I have no problem with the way space effected time or anything that we actually "see" happen on screen. I have a problem with everything we don't see. Whatever timeline is depicted in the movie is not the "original" timeline, and I can't fathom any scenario in which the original timeline creates the circumstances for to allow the events we see on screen take place.

And even IF the time-loop made sense, how the hell did Humans get onto the space stations in 50 years?

I think I'm over Nolan's shit.

--------------------
    END OF SPOILERS:
    Last edited by R-Dot-Yung; 11-16-2014 at 09:09 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R-Dot-Yung View Post
    Spoiler: Is it ever explained how the time-loop was initiated? I have no problem with the way space effected time or anything that we actually "see" happen on screen. I have a problem with everything we don't see. Whatever timeline is depicted in the movie is not the "original" timeline, and I can't fathom any scenario in which the original timeline creates the circumstances for to allow the events we see on screen take place.

And even IF the time-loop made sense, how the hell did Humans get onto the space stations in 50 years?
    Spoiler: The timeline follows the commonly-seen-in-movies paradox that basically the future affects the past so that the future can happen. So we do actually see the "original" timeline, even if this word is pretty meaningless in this case. If Murphy hadn't noticed the dust patterns, Cooper wouldn't have found NASA and travelled to space and thus wouldn't have caused the dust patterns etc etc. As for humans making it to space stations, the main hurdle for that was the lack of a gravity drive that would be able to send a huge amount of mass (people and big spacecrafts) to space. Since the equations were solved through the transmission of data from the black hole, the rest was relatively simple I guess.
    Last edited by Alexandros; 11-16-2014 at 08:56 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
    Spoiler: The timeline follows the commonly-seen-in-movies paradox that basically the future affects the past so that the future can happen. So we do actually see the "original" timeline, even if this word is pretty meaningless in this case. If Murphy hadn't noticed the dust patterns, Cooper wouldn't have found NASA and travelled to space and thus wouldn't have caused the dust patterns etc etc. As for humans making it to space stations, the main hurdle for that was the lack of a gravity drive that would be able to send a huge amount of mass (people and big spacecrafts) to space. Since the equations were solved through the transmission of data from the black hole, the rest was relatively simple I guess.
    Okay but,

Spoiler: I'm referring to the idea of the black hole being created by 5th dimensional beings from the future to save earth, that's why it falls apart. If the black hole was not "artificial" and put there for the purpose of Matthew falling into it and introducing the loop, then it wouldn't matter. However the story implies that there is a version of the story that exists without the loop which progresses to the point where 5th dimensional humans build this loop to occur to save earth?

Fuck it...

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    7 biggest problems with interstellar http://www.salon.com/2014/11/11/the_...ellar_partner/

the whole thing is downright bad. Nolan will finally be downgraded as he should've never been uplifted to such heights.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I can't get over how much of a slap Zimmer gets over the mix of the final cut! It's not his fault they over-mixed his score to the dialogue. In fact, I only noticed this happening once during the film. Even then, I didn't feel the dialogue was terribly important. I personally think that his score here was very different than what he's done in previous films and fit quite well. Overall, I loved the film.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/17/christopher-nolan-addresses-interstellar-sound-complaints
    http://screencrush.com/christopher-n...stellar-sound/
    Last edited by sentient02970; 11-17-2014 at 08:00 AM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient02970 View Post
    I can't get over how much of a slap Zimmer gets over the mix of the final cut! It's not his fault they over-mixed his score to the dialogue. In fact, I only noticed this happening once during the film. Even then, I didn't feel the dialogue was terribly important. I personally think that his score here was very different than what he's done in previous films and fit quite well. Overall, I loved the film.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/17/christopher-nolan-addresses-interstellar-sound-complaints
    http://screencrush.com/christopher-n...stellar-sound/
    It's not just that though. Zimmer pounds on shit all the time. Everything is brass and in your face regardless of the mix. He's the perfect companion to Nolan. They both assume if they blast things in your face loud enough it will get you to feel something. It's a Michael Bay explosion tactic. The mix applied to Interstellar just makes this even worse.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    7 biggest problems with interstellar http://www.salon.com/2014/11/11/the_...ellar_partner/

the whole thing is downright bad. Nolan will finally be downgraded as he should've never been uplifted to such heights.
    Number 7 is exactly what I was trying to articulate in my above post...thank god someone can write better than me.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Okay but,

Spoiler: I'm referring to the idea of the black hole being created by 5th dimensional beings from the future to save earth, that's why it falls apart. If the black hole was not "artificial" and put there for the purpose of Matthew falling into it and introducing the loop, then it wouldn't matter. However the story implies that there is a version of the story that exists without the loop which progresses to the point where 5th dimensional humans build this loop to occur to save earth?

Fuck it...
    Spoiler: It was the worm hole that the beings created. The black hole is that gargantua shit. But yeah @Alexandros explanation still stands. It's not that it implies that there is a version without the worm hole, its that the worm hole's existence implies that they complete part of the loop by putting it there when it needs to be put. NASA records when it shows up, and the future beings put it in the correct time. This movie didn't explore what would happen if the loop was broken and there is no implication of another timeline.

That article is still misunderstanding this brand of time paradox. It's nothing new. They don't want to risk erasing their whole existence so you wouldn't want to change the past, but they know that their actions influence how they got there. Therefore, they complete all the actions they know they "took" part in. You have to think of it as fulfilling a role which was already completed (and is always being completed) as opposed to being able to change things. But yeah in this story there is just one closed time loop which cannot be altered and is always happening. Everyone's actions in the movie (in the past , future and present) of the movie are just doing various actions which complete the loop. Its like a domino effect of influence which relies on every major player realizing what their role of intervention is. But because the time loop is happening, we already know that everyone does their part. They have to put the worm hole by Saturn because thats where it was. Thats the funny thing about these kinds of time loops. No one can really decide things based on convenience b/c you don't have a choice. They put it by saturn because NASA discovered it by saturn where they put it. lmao That last sentence is literally how your supposed to look at it. Some people find it silly but this is actually my favorite method of dealing with effecting timelines. This webcomic called Homestuck which I adore does this but with like 1000 times more points of influence on the past.

Last edited by littlemonkey613; 11-17-2014 at 07:01 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Number 7 is exactly what I was trying to articulate in my above post...thank god someone can write better than me.
    Well, yah i mean.. i try to ignore certain things as much as i can. Just the fact that the wormhole leads them outside the galaxy is kind of stupid. Our galaxy alone has tons of planets that could harbor life and furthermore scientists can now tell if some of them would have conditions to sustain life before ever setting foot. They'd know if the entire planet was covered in fucking ice or liquid water.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Damn forgot to mention I went to a screening at directors guild yesterday that ended with a Chris Nolan q and a moderated by Edgar Wright.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I don't understand all you complainers. Saw the movie for the second time yesterday and loved it even more than the first time!

I find it more fascinating than annoying that a paradox is such an integral part of the story. Makes you wanna philosophize about all the possibilities how this could happen

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Then there's the theory that the whole third act Spoiler: isn't real. That it was a death dream so-to-speak. Cooper really died when he went into the hole. Mann said earlier that we see our children / family before we die. Cooper saw his daughter, a house similar to his farm house, the ball field, etc. He loved being a pilot and took off. Went after Brand because he was interested in her. Wouldn't she have been older assuming she survived? Some time had passed, she traveled to the third planet, and was there for a while. Cooper was stuck in the paradox.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Z View Post
    I don't understand all you complainers. Saw the movie for the second time yesterday and loved it even more than the first time!

I find it more fascinating than annoying that a paradox is such an integral part of the story. Makes you wanna philosophize about all the possibilities how this could happen
    I definitely think it's a real theater experience kind of film. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a post-high after seeing it, because it really does engulf you in visuals, sound, etc., and I wish I had seen it in IMAX, but I really feel the story and pacing is far from ideal. Regardless, it was definitely one of the most immersive films I saw all year, and I've gone to a ton this year compared to what I usually do. I just don't think I'm going to want to see it at all on blu ray at home outside of that setting (and don't take that the wrong way; I thought Gravity was one of the most fantastic times I've had at a theater, and I've intentionally avoided seeing it any other way since, as it was the only good experience I've had with 3D and I know that no TV screen near me can do it justice).

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Z View Post

The script is bad, plain and simple. There's just so much ridiculous shit and stretches of science that it pulls you out of the experience. There were many times i just sighed, or said REALLY COME ON? that it ruined a lot of the immersion for me.

But it's beautifully shot and the score (though loud and pounding) is pretty good. There's really nothing to philosophize here because it's so outside the realm of possibility, it's just a hollywood movie. The movie isn't "deep" or have hidden meanings. It's a popcorn flick through and through.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    There's really nothing to philosophize here because it's so outside the realm of possibility, it's just a hollywood movie. The movie isn't "deep" or have hidden meanings. It's a popcorn flick through and through.
    IdkI think part of their point was to explore things that a lot of people don't know about (how little most people know about more modern physics and cosmology) which are actually in a realm of possibility. Actual physicists debate the philosophical implications of scenarios that sound this crazy all the time. Something like making time a physical dimension, or influencing the past, higher dimensions, multiple universes etc. The point is the realities of our universe lend themselves to this kind of fantasy and in fact if you want to talk about it being in the realm of possibility compared to most epic sci fi / fantasy, its way more so than average. I think Nolan puts himself at risk because he tries to actually have a scientifically accurate foundation more so than any blockbuster filmmaker, so he gets you thinking about whether shit is possible to begin with, which is a mental step up from just passively accepting everything going on like in a Marvel sci fi film or something. Idk I sort of admire the fact that hes willing to get people to actually discuss what is possible concerning a worm hole or black hole in a way that actually acknowledges real scientific theory. But its a double edged sword because the film in turn is setting itself up to be more strictly analyzed in that sense than your average film dealing with science.

My favorite thing about the film is that by the end it doesn't really define frontier by distance covered like how we tend to view it, but acknowledges that the implications of modern physics make the idea of a frontier something different. The shit being discovered is spooky and weird as hell and maybe it is possible that humans could figure enough out about the nature of reality to fuck with it to a degree like in Interstellar or maybe even beyond that.

I just appreciate the sentiment. Like if we are not even jazzed about going into space how can we hope to overcome what we view now as fundamental "rules" in reality. u.u It inspired me to look up a ton of quantum physics shit and I think that was part of their goal so woohoo

But yeah my favorite thing about the movie is actually how much it wants to be accurate. Its no coincidence that he mostly instills the fantasy elements when it comes to going into the black hole, something that we know nothing about inside. He didn't fuck that much with what we already know. Not much in the movie can actually be said with confidence to be absolutely impossible. Of course most of the credit in this area really goes to physicist Kip Thorne. This was like his baby.
    Last edited by littlemonkey613; 11-18-2014 at 07:04 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemonkey613 View Post
    Of course most of the credit in this area really goes to physicist Kip Thorne. This was like his baby.
    Ah, but here lies the problem i have. It was sold as if this was the case but it isn't. Most of everything besides communicating through gravity bit was all Nolan and his brother. They used very little of Kip Thornes original script yet they sold the movie as if Nolan was going to tackle something Thorne came up with.

In the end it was Nolan coming up with some wonky story and having Kip make sure some of it fit within the realm of possibility. It's a big big stretch. But hey, if it got you interested in things like quantum physics then that's great. I've been a big physicists buff since college, but never majored in it. Like i said, in the end it's a popcorn flick with a bit of a science base underneath.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I don't get it, does everyone hate Hans Zimmer because they're Trent fanboys? Or is it because they genuinely don't like his scores. I personally think they're in most cases quite amazing. I had no issue with the music in this movie personally.

The movie wasn't perfect, most of Nolan's movies aren't, he takes on quite ambitious ideas and I feel translates them really well onto the screen. It's a movie after all. I really enjoyed it and was engaged throughout.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I don't think his work is getting slammed here, but in general Zimmer is not well-regarded in the film score community. Some of their reasons are quite valid, but I think he does extraordinary work when he's with the right people. His work here might be the best he's done since The Thin Red Line, which even some of the haters will confess to being a great score.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by voidnz View Post
    I don't get it, does everyone hate Hans Zimmer because they're Trent fanboys?
    Most of the complaints I've read were about the sound mixing. Like a lot of people couldn't hear shit the whole movie.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I don't think his work is getting slammed here, but in general Zimmer is not well-regarded in the film score community. Some of their reasons are quite valid, but I think he does extraordinary work when he's with the right people. His work here might be the best he's done since The Thin Red Line, which even some of the haters will confess to being a great score.
    Why do people not like Zimmer?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The main allegation is that his former company Media Ventures essentially just churned out composers who scored in the same style as him. His score for Crimson Tide was so popular with film and TV producers that it created a need for that kind of music in their films or programs. That's the extent of my understanding about it anyway.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Why do people not like Zimmer?
    I absolutely love his work on The Lion King and Gladiator-- I've listened to the scores so much! But his latest works all sound the same to me --flat, emotionless, and monotonous.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemonkey613 View Post
    It inspired me to look up a ton of quantum physics shit and I think that was part of their goal so woohoo
    Haha I love this! I also admit to trying to relearn aspects of tensor calculus to better feel out the beautiful mathematical principles behind general relativity after seeing the film.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    http://www.soundworkscollection.com/...r-interstellar

30-minute interview with Hans about the score and the sound.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaSarahS View Post
    I absolutely love his work on The Lion King and Gladiator-- I've listened to the scores so much! But his latest works all sound the same to me --flat, emotionless, and monotonous.
    I dunno I've got to disagree. There is rarely a Zimmer score that I don't enjoy. The only time I wasn't feeling it was the constant recycling of the Inception theme for a hot second.

But I enjoyed the music here a LOT. It was probably the best part of the movie besides the visuals.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Regarding the soundtrack, I've been listening to it again and again for the past couple of days and I love it. I like the sad parts, I like the creepy parts, I like the epic parts. Listening to it I keep thinking of scenes I want to watch again.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I keep thinking of scenes I want to watch again.
    Which scenes? Every other scene people were crying

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    @Rabbit What you don't believe me? :P

Well, like I said I was not untouched by the emotional part of the film, so I include some of the more emotional scenes in what I want to see again. To name a few (emotional and not); when Cooper says goodbye to Murphy and leaves for the launch (and the launch itself), the wormhole, the water planet, Spoiler: Cooper watching the piled up messages, the realisation that there is no plan A, the botched docking of Dr. Mann and subsequent acrobatic docking of Cooper...I'm talking about musical cues that have been very clearly connected to a scene in my mind, something that is probably a sign of a successful soundtrack.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Regarding the soundtrack, I've been listening to it again and again for the past couple of days and I love it. I like the sad parts, I like the creepy parts, I like the epic parts. Listening to it I keep thinking of scenes I want to watch again.
    Apparently, there will be a special edition of the soundtrack, which will be out December 28th.

"The Illuminated Star Projection Edition features special illuminated star projection packaging, 2 CDs featuring 28 tracks, including 30 minutes of music unavailable anywhere else, and the DTS Z+ app."

https://www.facebook.com/DTS.Inc/pos...52810269753270

http://www.hans-zimmer.com/index.php?rub=disco&id=1256

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Nolan along with Ridley scott has become one of the most overrated directors out there. Sad thing is Nolan actually used to be great, now he's clearly a sell out.
    With that being said, i actually enjoyed the movie, but after the last batman movie and inception i wasn't really all that hyped and my hopes were down.