Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Interstellar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Weird captivating film. Great score! I liked it overall but I can definitely see why some wouldn't, there were some plot holes/questions that weren't really answered or explained. Clocks in at nearly 2 hours and 50 minutes I believe so a pretty long movie. BTW I by no means can say I understand the film fully there was some stuff that was confusing and just weird my friend thought it was ok but we were discussing it all the way to when he dropped me off at home. For the most part though I enjoyed the film.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Saw it last night and I think it was pretty good. Expected a good sci-fi movie and wasnt disappointed. Some good acting and really nice effects/props.

Something that did bother me was the level/or the quality of the sound. Before the movie started, the cinema personal informed us that the volume was a bit higher in some scenes (rockets, explosions and such) since they had focused setting the volume to match the dialogue. For someone like me that has a more sensitive hearing (due to tinnitus) the music/sound effects in some scenes were pretty much shit since it was too loud. Which sucked, because I was really looking forward to that delicious zimmer score along with some powerful scenes.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Saw this. It was very much a mixed bag, with some incredible stuff and some things that didn't work so well. I would compare it to Contact, the movie with Jodie Foster(and McConaughey, too) where there is this great build up, and the ending is this weird metaphysical thing that is, to me, kind of a let down. Overall I liked it, but only slightly.

The film looks awesome on Imax, and yes, the sound had some issues.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed it; it took me on the trip it was attempting to take, and I felt constantly involved and engaged. Lots of breathtaking moments for me.

Something I definitely want to applaud it for that can't be said enough is that it's a sci-fi film that isn't just another action adventure film with a space setting painted over it. As much as I enjoy things like Guardians of the Galaxy, it's very refreshing to see such a major blockbuster film focus on subject matter and ideas that are what a lot of deeper sci-fi novels explore.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Just coming from cinema, it was good. After maybe one hour the movie started to lose me, but the end was fantastic, like "it was me" and that emotional stuff. I did not even expect certain actor to appear in this film. Sound was very good, quite loud in some places, in one moment even unexpected and scary. I am not going to do what I did after Gravity last year - to go two more times to see it again, and again. Anne Hathaway sometimes looked like she was not sure who she is, how to act.

And Slovak subtitles were (again) obviously done by someone who did not see the movie - but this is common these times, the companies just don't give them quality video because they're scared shitless, maybe 20x10 pixels of streaming buffering nonsense.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I love one genre to death and it's science fiction. Instead of writing about what I liked about this thing, I really want to go through what I thought the problem was. And i think the best way of doing this is to talk vaguely and generally instead of going through [many] specifics. I'll do my best to stay away from spoilers with very general hints and explanations.

With the screenplay, things just bounced around and it didn't feel like events racked up properly....or as well as they could have. It just didn't flow at times.

I think the term "it broke its own rules" adheres. With sci-fi, many of the great films establish their rules and tell a story within those parameters. I thought Interstellar escaped that boundary of "rules" and went into fantasy. And yes, before you tell me that this is "science-fiction" and fantasy does play a role in it, it shouldn't be to the point where you're sitting in the movie theater watching this thing and CLEARLY you're no longer in a sci-fi setting but a fantasy setting (I'm looking right at that last act of this film).

I read that Nolan had a large number of scientific ideas presented to him (regarding occurrences and sequences in space) and he had to cut out the majority of them and just go with a few. I thought what he chose to go with was too much. Again, speaking extremely vaguely here....once the film shifts into a completely new setting in the second half.....look at how many things were getting involved all at once (different planets [conflict], black holes [conflict], planets ridiculously close to black holes [conflict], hours spent here=yrs spent there [conflict], unique occurrences like giant waves [conflict]). Let's face some kind of reality here: There were way too many "issues" in a "galaxy far, far away" for Cooper and Co. to have a solution/get out of jail card for. Furthermore, it totally seemed like "okay, we have to deal with this problem right now" but the script/screenplay kept moving so "okay, i guess that problem is no longer a big issue because now we have to deal with this new problem".

Once you've watched the whole movie and have a second or two to think literally everything through, i think a lot of people will say "this part was a bit far-fetched", "as was this part".

Oh, and the sudden introduction of "said actor" until the conclusion of the story of "said actor" was the worst act of the film. My goodness, it was Sunshine all over again.

Let's be honest though...science fiction is a tough genre to tackle. Very tough. I think Nolan did such a great job regardless of all the negative I pointed out here.
    Last edited by GoodSoldier333; 11-08-2014 at 10:56 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    INTERSTELLAR!! This might be the best movie I have ever scene, Bravo Fucking-ohhh Christipher nolan.

I forgot how it feels to be so emotional in a movie theater, there was like 10 scenes where I Was hold back tears. Just incredible

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I saw this yesterday in 70mm IMAX glory. I pretty much loved it. Nolan has been one of my favorite directors since Memento and I had high hopes for this movie and I was not let down. Yes, the film had issues (the dialogue, especially in the first half of the movie, was REALLY clunky, for example) but the good stuff was so good that it more than made up for whatever flaws it had. I would say that the movie really didn't grab me until they went to space, but after that I was all in. I keep hearing criticism that Nolan once again made a movie with no heart but I honestly cannot for the life of me figure out what those people are talking about. This was probably the most emotionally engaging movie he's ever made and there is a scene in this movie (I won't even hint at what it is) where I am pretty sure there wasn't a dry eye in the house. The saddest moment in a film I have seen in quite awhile.

Anyway, yes. It was fantastic.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    I saw this yesterday in 70mm IMAX glory. I pretty much loved it. Nolan has been one of my favorite directors since Memento and I had high hopes for this movie and I was not let down. Yes, the film had issues (the dialogue, especially in the first half of the movie, was REALLY clunky, for example) but the good stuff was so good that it more than made up for whatever flaws it had. I would say that the movie really didn't grab me until they went to space, but after that I was all in. I keep hearing criticism that Nolan once again made a movie with no heart but I honestly cannot for the life of me figure out what those people are talking about. This was probably the most emotionally engaging movie he's ever made and there is a scene in this movie (I won't even hint at what it is) where I am pretty sure there wasn't a dry eye in the house. The saddest moment in a film I have seen in quite awhile.

Anyway, yes. It was fantastic.
    I agree, I left the theater feeling emotionally drained, but in good way. Also, I can't for the life of me figure out why some critics are saying negative things, it's honestly my favorite Nolan movie.I have read from fans that "its too long", honestly if someone can't sit through a movie thats 3 hours long then maybe they need to see a psychiatrist about getting some medication, JK of course, but COME ON. .

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I saw it earlier today. I enjoyed it though there were some flaws in the third act as I felt like it got very conventional at times while I was aware of what it was trying to do. Still, I think it's something that has to be seen. I don't think it's Nolan's best film but still an excellent one. Here's my review.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    "Awesome" is probably the most overused word in the English language, but it's movies like this that makes you really think about what that means. Sure everything doesn't work exactly but what does makes those complaints a distant concern. Me and dad (who I caught with a few tears in his eyes towards the end) had to sit about as close to the screen as we could since we were running quite close to the showtime, but seeing it that close kind of brought me easier to that place of awe, so it'll be awhile before I can process it completely.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I don't mean to stir anything whatsoever, just healthy conversation about this film. Despite my earlier complaints, i enjoyed this thing a lot! But for those of you on here who have said that you really liked this thing/had less to complain about, did the following bother anyone else as much as it did me (SPOILERS AHEAD):

Okay, so the one big emotional tie in this movie is the bond between father and daughter. Nolan has been talking a lot about this relationship in his personal life, that's what he tried to instill onto Matthew Mcconaughey in their first meeting, and it's what the majority of this film involved. So skip to the end, his daughter finally sees him. And she shoos him away after the briefest of conversations, just like that. They've been apart for what, 60/70+ yrs....she's about to DIE, as in she definitely won't see him again after this. From Vulture's website on Interstellar: "The elderly Murphy Cooper spends two years in a space-travel cryo-freeze, apparently two of the very last years of her life, to finally be reunited with her father — and she more or less chases him out of the room after a couple minutes." I found this scene a huge heart-breaker. As in, after that 3 hour/lifelong build-up, if i were either the father or the daughter in real life...that is definitely not how our reunion would have went. At all.

What do you guys think? I seem to be on the outside looking in here. I honestly believe that in terms of this scene's significance towards the entire film's message, this was such a poorly executed scene.
    Last edited by GoodSoldier333; 11-09-2014 at 10:22 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodSoldier333 View Post
    I don't mean to stir anything whatsoever, just healthy conversation about this film. Despite my earlier complaints, i enjoyed this thing a lot! But for those of you on here who have said that you really liked this thing/had less to complain about, did the following bother anyone else as much as it did me (SPOILERS AHEAD):

Okay, so the one big emotional tie in this movie is the bond between father and daughter. Nolan has been talking a lot about this relationship in his personal life, that's what he tried to instill onto Matthew Mcconaughey in their first meeting, and it's what the majority of this film involved. So skip to the end, his daughter finally sees him. And she shoos him away after the briefest of conversations, just like that. They've been apart for what, 60/70+ yrs....she's about to DIE, as in she definitely won't see him again after this. From Vulture's website on Interstellar: "The elderly Murphy Cooper spends two years in a space-travel cryo-freeze, apparently two of the very last years of her life, to finally be reunited with her father — and she more or less chases him out of the room after a couple minutes." I found this scene a huge heart-breaker. As in, after that 3 hour/lifelong build-up, if i were either the father or the daughter in real life...that is definitely not how our reunion would have went. At all.

What do you guys think? I seem to be on the outside looking in here. I honestly believe that in terms of this scene's significance towards the entire film's message, this was such a poorly executed scene.
    i agree with that, but I don't think it took away from the movie.
    Last edited by Rdm; 11-10-2014 at 03:12 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Racetrack from BSG has a cameo! Made the movie for me!

In all seriousness: I'm sure there are plenty of plot-holes that will become more and more clear to me on repeat viewings, but even if this movie missed the mark intellectually, it is outstanding on an emotional level. I didn't cry as hard as I did watching TDKR, but I still openly wept during Interstellar and really had to fight back some tears. Spoiler: Coop watching his children's video messages was when I really lost it. That scene was devastating on multiple levels. It felt like a really sad, beautiful comment on loss, death, and reconciling those feelings of being abandoned & growing lonely from a young age. Great, great work from Casey Affleck (and of course McConaughey). My father died when I was around the age of Murph when Coop left Earth, so watching the parent/child relationships evolve after that point was really intense for me in a good way.

I saw it in IMAX, and I personally loved the sound. I won't be able to see this movie in a standard theater because I want to be crushed by the sound effects and music - and I was.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I really hope hans zimmer releases a deluxe vinyl package. the cd version can be Pre=ordered here http://www.myplaydirect.com/interste...tails/33155828

I thought the score really added to the emotional level of the movie. Cant wait to get my hands on, IF, they make a vinyl edition.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodSoldier333 View Post
    Spoiler:

All spoiler tags hooo
    Spoiler: I actually thought that the final scene between the two was remarkably mature. Murphy had all her life to think about and come to terms with the moment. What else was there to do, she was going to die, and didn't want her father to see her beyond knowing that he did finally keep his promise. That to me said it all.

There were lots of little niggles I had with the film walking out of the cinema, but having slept on it, I'm pretty happy with how understated most of it was, the special effects were brilliant, yet never intrusive, which I really admire. Everything felt grounded, even when dealing with some pretty out-there leaps of imagination. Yeah its not as 'scientific' as it was perhaps sold as, but the best sci-fi films rarely are (or they are Primer). 7.5/10. Would watch again.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Y'know, I hate to say this, but the more that days have gone by since seeing it, every time I've found myself thinking of it again, it's been me realizing things I actually didn't care for. I really was hoping this would be like Inception, where I found nothing but good things to say for the week after seeing it, but now it's like the exact opposite. I don't know what it is specifically, but it's like now that I'm past that initial-viewing high and excitement of finally seeing it, but I just keep realizing how almost none of my favorite things about it had anything to do with the story itself, or any of the characters besides Cooper and the robots.

The first thing I realized that was absolutely negative was that if I ever want to watch this again, I'll have to sit through the first 40 minutes all over again, and no movie should leave me dreading rewatching it because of how it begins.

I don't know, I really did enjoy it, but it's the kind of thing where the more you reflect on it and think about it, the more it starts to fall apart.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    It's hilarious how far out of it's way this movie goes not to mention global warming, since it's only there to further an environmentalist agenda.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    It's hilarious how far out of it's way this movie goes not to mention global warming, since it's only there to further an environmentalist agenda.
    The Earth will become unable to sustain human life eventually.....Global warming is man made liberal bullshit. Why bother to mention it?

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Wasn't very impressed by the movie, overall. Plus, I hated the score.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Satyr View Post
    Global warming is man made liberal bullshit.
    I categorically refuse to believe that any functioning adult with half a brain, in the year 2014, still buys in to this. I just can't believe it. Can't happen.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    I categorically refuse to believe that any functioning adult with half a brain, in the year 2014, still buys in to this. I just can't believe it. Can't happen.
    it certainly appears that christopher nolan still buys into that.

This movie was like a contest to see how many time they could get me to roll ny eyes, during and after the movie.

Christopher Nolan's "Signs"

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Guys, don't feed the obvious trolls.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Guys, don't feed the obvious trolls.
    Not trolling. Just stating facts. The Earth has gone through hot and cool phases over millions of years.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I really liked it. Like many have said, it has its failings, mostly the fact that it jumps from one plot point to another in ways that you feel don't add up or are gimmicky, but I don't know...it was quite a riveting experience for me! And really, this point about it having no heart is probably the most bizzare criticism one can make about this specific film, it sounds like the opposite of fanboyism, like criticism of Nolan on autopilot. It's probably Nolan's most emotional film to date.

Soundtrack was great, sound was great, visual effects and space sequences top notch. Finally, you can really see the nods to 2001: A Space Odyssey I think, but by no means does Interstellar lack its own space aesthetic.

I also really didn't mind the almost certainly present scientific inaccuracies or straight-up fantasies. I was engaged enough that it didn't seem to matter.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Y'know, I hate to say this, but the more that days have gone by since seeing it, every time I've found myself thinking of it again, it's been me realizing things I actually didn't care for. I really was hoping this would be like Inception, where I found nothing but good things to say for the week after seeing it, but now it's like the exact opposite. I don't know what it is specifically, but it's like now that I'm past that initial-viewing high and excitement of finally seeing it, but I just keep realizing how almost none of my favorite things about it had anything to do with the story itself, or any of the characters besides Cooper and the robots.

I don't know, I really did enjoy it, but it's the kind of thing where the more you reflect on it and think about it, the more it starts to fall apart.
    this, exactly — except it was the walk home from the theatre when i realized it. even my favourite part (the black hole and post-) was so mired in 2001 worship and poorly scripted, poorly paced, overwrought 'emotion' that it was rendered crap, for me.

i didn't give a shit about anyone in this film except Murph, and even then she was rendered hollow halfway through.

also, my biggest issue: Nolan tried very, very hard to answer every question in the film, so it suffers from about 3 or 4 endings, all of them lame compared to how horribly my brain could have been destroyed by twisting the questions with more questions (like most directors worth a shit would do with this material). the worst part of this issue was that Spoiler: LOVE IS THE ANSWER GUYS! fucking gag.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    also, my biggest issue: Nolan tried very, very hard to answer every question in the film, so it suffers from about 3 or 4 endings
    I still think the entire final ten minutes were utterly pointless and added nothing genuinely worthwhile to the film; which surprised me, since Nolan almost always picks excellent cut-off points. If it had ended on Spoiler: Cooper saying "Where do we go now?" in the tesseract, I'd've been a lot happier with it, and think that would've been a great moment to end it at. Instead it's like they felt that the audience was too dumb to understand that Spoiler: they had the data and were saving humanity so they made damn sure everyone understood that.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Spoiler: LOVE IS THE ANSWER GUYS! fucking gag.
    Although I really, REALLY understand your sentiment (I've had similar reactions to its use in other settings), for some reason it didn't bother me in this one. I was certainly aware of its presence, like a big, drunken elephant peeking behind a tree, but I just...rolled with it. I'd be interested to get a psychological analysis on this!

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    I was annoyed that his son was Spoiler: essentially fucked over at the end. What, just because Spoiler: "he chose to let him go" doesn't mean he didn't deserve a second chance.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Another typical Nolan film. It's merely an OK movie that his fans will champion up and down. I'm getting tired of his shtick though... the flash backs, the insane decibels Zimmer pounds you with, the expositions that mean nothing and is so forced fed down our throats. He takes himself far too seriously and i'm convinced he's gone up so far into his own ass to realize it. Film is marred with bad acting, bad dialogue, chunky plot with holes bigger than the black hole depicted in the movie itself.

He's really nothing more than a more mature version of Michael Bay.