Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Interstellar

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    The trailer looks great. If this doesn't make me love a Nolan movie, then nothing ever will.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemonkey613 View Post
    New trailer with Godzilla tomorrow.

Also was trying to think of more reasons why I'm so obsessed with his work, pretty much he's the only Hollywood guy whose films remind me of anime. lol

A lot of anime that I like has this tendency to not worry about whether exposition is classy in order to look at a narrative and fuck. shit. up. I just like the man's priorities. (obviously the batman films don't really count structure wise, but they were all excellent in my opinion.)

I think he is really the only blockbuster director actually subverting formula, and our marriage to what makes a good narrative from a mainstream standpoint. Or rather, he saw what he could do on a smaller scale (The Prestige and Memento) and decided to apply that system of writing to his blockbusters, and so Inception was birthed. I assume Interstellar will follow the same fuck shit up mentality.

Anyways my point is I will gladly take what people consider to be his flaws (obvious exposition, some minor characters who seem less human and more like plot devices etc.) if it means abandoning classic structure, letting high concept define the narrative style and allowing a thematic idea to reach its most "out there" possible conclusion. I just don't see anyone else doing this shit right now when it comes to really mainstream movies.
    Huh? Have you watched any of the Wachowski siblings movies ? they deliver anime more than Nolan by a long shot. I don't even consider Nolan's style even remotely close to anime.

ironic that the trailer music for interstellar is from v for vendetta. Nolan takes many cues from the siblings.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Huh? Have you watched any of the Wachowski siblings movies ? they deliver anime more than Nolan by a long shot. I don't even consider Nolan's style even remotely close to anime.
    Yeah I dig their shit a lot too, though besides The Matrix I don't enjoy their films nearly as much. I think the main strengths of Cloud Atlas and V for Vendetta were innate to the source material, which I enjoy a lot more in both cases. I guess I was more commenting on how he structures his films and how the narrative is effected by the concept. I didn't just mean outright visually. His writing style, and how far he'll take a concept definitely. Your right the the Wachowski siblings do anime shit.
    Last edited by littlemonkey613; 05-16-2014 at 02:39 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Wow.... the scenes in space look fucking amazing. Nolan must've taken some of his cues from Malick and maybe got invited to the editing room for Gravity as well. I'm fucking there.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Great trailer, I hope the feeling of awe that permeates it carries into the film as well. I'm always a sucker for mankind's ventures into space, and the urgency implied by the trailer will hopefully make it even more gripping. The big question is where the film will end. Will it be just as the spaceship enters the wormhole, or are they holding back what could possibly be the second half or final third of the movie? I'm not sure what I would prefer, I guess it could work both ways.
    Last edited by Alexandros; 05-16-2014 at 11:33 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Matthew McConaughey... nuff said. This looks fantastic, and what a genius build up from the first lackluster trailer.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Looks good. There are no two ways around it, as a space movie it will stand long and hard in the shadow of Gravity but if there's one guy working now who can at least match the intensity of it, it's Nolan.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Me to a friend: "What if it turns out that Nolan had a huge bombshell to drop, and as you're watching the film you suddenly realize it's a prequel to 'Event Horizon'...?"
    Him: "Oh my GOD, that would be INCREDIBLE!! Whatever it turns out to be won't be as good now, thanks a lot!"

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I don't understand why people here say that TDKR was "garbage" or "weak". Sure, not the best in the trilogy, Bane and Talia Al Ghul's death were anticlimactic (specially Bane's) but Bane's fight against Batman in the sewers is in my opinion the best sequence in the trilogy. The lack of score music amplified the gravity of the battle, the pure noise of the drains and water splashing made the scene a lot more chilling. You hear all the punches and blows without any music to set the tone, mastery in filmmaking. And the rest of the movie was good, not great. But a decent finale to the series.

On point: call me crazy but Murphy (little girl in the teaser, Matthew McConaughey's daughter) looks veeery similar to Anne Hathaway. Maybe she goes to space to look for her dad in the future? After all, in that brief scene with Anne Hathaway (1:52 mark) Matthew is nowhere to be seen. So could be possible.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post

On point: call me crazy but Murphy (little girl in the teaser, Matthew McConaughey's daughter) looks veeery similar to Anne Hathaway. Maybe she goes to space to look for her dad in the future? After all, in that brief scene with Anne Hathaway (1:52 mark) Matthew is nowhere to be seen. So could be possible.
    Spoiler: I remember reading recently that it was pretty much confirmed that Chastain was cast as older Murphy

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    http://collider.com/interstellar-trailer-comic-con/

Comic con trailer is out now. Really looking forward to this.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Wow! The Kubrick and Malick influence is already apparent! I'm more excited than ever after that trailer.

Doesn't look like The McConaissance is coming to an end any time soon either - McConaughey seems poised to tear it up yet again. Can't wait.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    That last frame, wow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Really excited to see this, especially in Imax. Loving how huge the sense of wonder is just from the first couple of trailers....

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

I think I like this one better.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The runtime is 169 minutes.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Fucking awesome.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Fuck yeah!!!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Review up on The Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014...ew-mcconoughey

Unfortunately, it sounds like what I generally believe to be the weakness of Nolan's movies: A whole lot of structure, not a lot of heart.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Details and tracklisting for Hans Zimmer's score, which will come out in three editions. Very cool.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    How Building a Black Hole for Interstellar Led to an Amazing Scientific Discovery:
    http://www.wired.com/2014/10/astroph...ar-black-hole/

Very nice article, sometimes raytracing is not good enough. :-) I was curious what else were Double Negative working on - e.g. Godzilla (2014, don't laugh, in my opinion good movie), but mainly - Children of Men. I saw this 2006 film only some 3 weeks ago, and I am STILL (!) thinking about it almost every day. Strong story, perfect Clive Owen, and thousand of effect out of which I have noticed NONE. Immersive, to see it in cinema must have been something else. I love long shots, even when they were not really done in one go... Gravity was movie of 2013 for me. :-) OK, so much for Interstellar then! ;-)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Seeing tomorrow night in 70 mm IMAX. I wont survive.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Hope you're not seeing it at the TCL Chinese. I caught it today and the presentation was pretty shit, especially the sound. Though it is hard to say whether the sound issue is a Chinese problem or a Nolan one, beyond that theater's characteristic reverb.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    ** SPOILERS AHEAD **

I gotta say I didn't like it very much. Sure there were amazing moments, McConaughey acting was stellar, in some scenes I was really close to tearing up, although I gotta say in the beginning of the movie he seemed to overplay some of the scenes. Effects were mindblowing, the visual style of Interstellar was in league of its own.

But firstly, it was so long. First third of the movie was flat out boring to me, I understand why it was there, but I think it could be done in half of the time to the same effect. I didn't understand the motivation of lot of characters in the story, fe. McConaughey's son can save lives of his family, but he rather choose to let them all die for absolutely no reason? The Mann guy on the second planet? I completely missed his point why he rather choose to kill McConaughey. They didn't have the fuel to go back to earth, they would go to the third planet anyway. Or what was his deal? It just seems to me that lot of the conflicts in this movie was there just for the sake of being and it didn't make any sense. The ending was, well, weird. I think it would have much more emotional impact if McConaughey would reunite with his daughter whilst she in the age where they communicate with each other. This dying old self of her felt really weird to me and it didn't have that emotional impact that was intended, or at least the impact I would have expected.

Lot of people didn't like the black hole 5th dimmension stuff towards the end, but I gotta say that's the only part of the movie I really loved. I actually think this part made the most sense to me, no matter how weird that sounds. I was confused about lot of things and maybe I just didn't get this movie, I don't know. But it was a let down to me.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus T. Cosmonaut View Post
    Hope you're not seeing it at the TCL Chinese. I caught it today and the presentation was pretty shit, especially the sound. Though it is hard to say whether the sound issue is a Chinese problem or a Nolan one, beyond that theater's characteristic reverb.
    Eeek! Not just your theater. Uh oh.

http://www.slashfilm.com/interstellar-sound-issues/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Saw this movie earlier today. I've never had such a mixed reaction, which I suppose is a good thing. There were parts that were wonderful, dull, heartbreaking, confusing, beautiful, silly, mesmerizing, corny, thought-provoking, all wrapped in a near three hour experience that felt both way too long and not long enough. I can't quite put into words what I experienced watching it yet, as I'm still thinking about the movie and reviewing it in my mind and trying to figure out if what I saw was truly genius or pretentious overindulgence. Perhaps both?

Maybe that's the whole point of this film: To experience an array of emotions while dissecting its themes and message, ultimately coming to your own conclusion of whether or not it was worth your time after a few hours (or hell, days) to consider what was on the screen. I would recommend seeing it because of how well made the film is in terms of visuals, acting, and Holy Shit, The Score! I would recommend seeing it because it really is a unique experience.