Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Killing Joke

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Killing Joke

I just got into Killing Joke this year, and I wish I had discovered Killing Joke much sooner. I hope I'm off to a good start with their music as I have gotten Night Time, and have thought about getting Brighter Than a Thousand Suns and Hosannas from the Basements of Hell next. I've also kept reading good things about their self-titled debut, so I'm definitely going to check that album out without a doubt too.

http://www.killingjoke.com/

https://www.facebook.com/killingjokeofficial

https://twitter.com/Killingjokeband

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_Joke
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-22-2013 at 11:03 PM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    killing joke are amazing- top shelf. from the self titled up to and including brighter than a thousand suns, it's all awesome. i can't vouch for anything after (haven't listened), but i'll get back to you on that.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    First learned of these guys after playing Need For Speed Underground 2 on the xbox way back. Their track The Death and Resurrection Show was on it, and i've loved that track ever since.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Amazing band! I started on the 2003 album. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns and Night Time are great, different, but great. I'm very partial towards What's THIS For. Fall of Because and Butcher slay me every time.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I might actually get the self-titled 2003 album next. (And no, I will not overlook the 1980 one either. ) I have ordered Hosannas from the Basements of Hell though, and like other bands, I'm just amazed at all the changes they went through.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Seems like they're done with changing it up though. Last few albums are pretty identical, almost. Luckily, the albums don't suck (most of them anyway).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This was the first band i ever saw live, dont want to say how long ago because its embarrassing and makes me sound really old. Their 1980 debut is their best record, it one of my favorite albums of all time. Its much better than you think its going to be.

It sounds like Public Image Ltds first record. But better. I love a lot of the suff this band have done. Their 2003 comeback album was amazing.

Requiem and Wardance =awesome. That guitar sound is epic.
    Last edited by Highly Psychological; 02-08-2012 at 02:33 AM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    that first record is amazing. my favorite tracks:

(b-side to 'requiem' on some of the pressings of the LP as well)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Bloodsport!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I love quite a lot of their albums but I decided the compilation 'Chaos for Breakfast' is never getting deleted from my Ipod...ever. For spacial reasons a few bands only get the greatest hits or singles treatment but this a damn good representation of their sound.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    (b-side to 'requiem' on some of the pressings of the LP as well)
    Awesome, just brilliant. I'm definitely looking forward to try to get as much Killing Joke as possible. A favorite Killing Joke B-side of mine as of now has been Universe B.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Geordie Walker is one of my favorite guitar players out there! Every KJ album has its highlights in my book, while my favorites are "night time", "brighter than a thousand suns" and the later self titled together with "hosannas from the basement of hell". Their new one is pretty solid too and I can't wait for their next one and the supporting tour in 2012.

While that band is a bitch to be a fan of, since they like to cancel tours and postpone their albums with alot of unofficial and not really worthy stuff being released, a proper album from KJ is sure to make an appearance on any of my "best of year XXXX" lists!

I'd like to know what Trent thinks of them now. I know he has mentioned them a few times, but a collaboration would be out of this world!
    Last edited by dlb; 12-14-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I just love this band:

As of now The Icarus Line and The Crying Spell will be supporting their European Tour.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I've heard bits and pieces from all over their discography. Great band.

I know it's like their most well-known song, but I cannot overstate how much I enjoy "Love Like Blood". The guitar in that track is eargasmic.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Every single album is amazing and somehow they just keep kicking MORE AND MORE ass the older they get!

Easily one of my favorite bands.

Really hoping they tour the U.S. again soon and that I DON'T forget my camcorder battery like a retard this time, lol. Oh, well...it was pretty epic almost SINGLEHANDEDLY getting the Chicago indie-shoegazer crowd to remember they had a fucking pulse, at least! Wouldn't have been able to rock out like that if I'd been filming, so it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    I'd like to know what Trent thinks of them now. I know he has mentioned them a few times, but a collaboration would be out of this world!

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Wow, I totally forgot about that remix. Guess that's what brought the NIN/KJ connection to my mind.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Youth did a badass mix of "mOBSCENE" for Manson with Kieth Flint on vocals, too:

And is everyone here familiar with The Damage Manual?

It's probably one of my all-time favorite quasi-indie supergroups and has Geordie on lead guitar:

Just a taste for teh n00bs, of course. There's TONS more, but NOWHERE NEAR enough!

\m/

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Damage Manual is pretty awesome. Shame there won't be anymore. The EP's easily got to be my favorite.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Did I miss something?

Did someone die or officially declare there's never gonna be a follow-up or something?

I mean, I know it's been a while and no one's getting younger or anything...but, hell, look at Killing Joke still out there kickin' ass!

Just curious and on the cusp of a broken heart here, lol.

I <3 DAMAGE.

;)
    Last edited by Hazekiah; 02-08-2012 at 09:35 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    KJ's new album, MMXII, is set to be unleashed April 2nd.

New single and video are also out there.

Has it oozed out onto the net yet though?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uroboros View Post
    KJ's new album, MMXII, is set to be unleashed April 2nd.

New single and video are also out there.

Has it oozed out onto the net yet though?
    Have heard of any drippage yet but I'm trying to be good on this one as it's so close already.

Having heard half the new one live and also caught how some of the tracks sound in their studio form, either leaked or promo wise, I can honestly say I have very high hopes for this one. It's sounding pretty damn majestic. If any of you catch them playing "Polar Shift" live then watch out for the mosh pit when the mad, mad, chorus bits drop in - that was insane!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Going to try holding off until the release date. Not everyday I do a thing like that.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I like 'em and welcome any new material that comes our way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You know when bands that have been around for ever start to trot out that line that their forthcoming album "is the best they've ever done" or "a new defining point in their career" or even that all their previous albums were them "leading up to this album" and it all sounds like a bit of a marketing cliché written by committee and it has the effect of setting a bar so high in fan's minds that when the release drops it's never quite that good?

MMXII does not have that problem. It IS that good.

Yeah, the mastering and production could do with a tweak here and there - that's a given for KJ these days - but by good god does it deliver!

There are touchstones all through that remind but never copy classic periods in their career but this is one solid, cohesive body of work with power and emotion absolutely undimmed & unbowed.

I've been listening to this band for the 31 years from "Killing Joke" to "MMXII" and I'm truly overjoyed this is now where they've got to.

If you're fan then prepare to be very pleased indeed.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Maybe I haven't given the album enough of a chance yet. But, so far I've only managed to click with just a couple of songs. I've yet to sit down and really absorb it though. It's good, but as of right now, I might like Absolute Dissent a little bit more. That could change though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm surprised at that though it is, of course, all just personal opinions.

I really wanted to love Absolute Dissent but for parts of it I couldn't help feeling it was a bit of a "nearly" album for me.

Still very good and in parts brilliant but that thought in the back of my mind was that it was a half-step to one side of the rest of the catalogue like it needed to be/do something specific for the band for that release.

This one just seems like it sits absolutely with the back catalogue right back through the stand out releases - not so much an album at a point in time but one on the same ongoing trajectory.

Hard to explain - hope it makes some sort of sense!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Of course. AD did have some stinkers/filler tracks. But the songs that were good, really excelled. In Excelsis is easily a KJ favorite of mine now. One thing I'm noticing with this album, though, is that there seems to be remnants from every album prior. I hear a little bit of Night Time, a little bit of Pandemonium and Democracy, and a lot of the older stuff. It mixed well. Maybe my expectations were set a little too high. And maybe when I come back down to earth, I'll "get it". Regardless, I'm still buying this on Tuesday.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I really like this album as expected! While I love this band I have a hard time enjoying their albums as a whole, but this delivers! AD grabbed me immediately but I soon left it staying on my CD shelf and never really came back for it.

Instant favorites so far: polar shift, corporate elect, trance and rapture

EDIT: The album is really a grower. It's gotten better and better with each listen. I think they might have outdone themselves with this one. It just flows so well and neatly combines everything that I love KJ for. Can't wait for their show in almost 3 weeks!
    Last edited by dlb; 04-02-2012 at 06:20 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just thought I'd chime in on how great the new album is. I was pretty bummed I missed their last stop in Toronto, hopefully they'll be back in North America in the not too distant future.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Extremities, dirt and various repressed emotions is my favourite, i'm surprised it doesn't get more praise. If you like NINs broken ep, manics holy bible, early PiL its a sure bet.... Money is not our god is one of their best ever and i am astounded they do not play it live