Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Killing Joke

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    If I wasn't away, I would've posted about the Killing Joke concert on April 19th at the Irving Plaza ASAP. It was also very nice to see that Killing Joke played Money Is Not Our God, and felt very fortunate to have seen them play Turn To Red, Empire Song, Chop-Chop, Sun Goes Down, and Pssyche, especially when I looked them up after the show. (I'm still fairly new to them, so I had no idea about those songs before.) I also liked the way Jaz Coleman moved on stage. I can see how it very likely of Jaz to have also influenced Al Jourgensen in that way too.

My other highlights from that gig were also Requiem, The Wait, Eighties, Money Is Not Our God, The Beautiful Dead, Whiteout, Pandemonium, and The Death and Resurrection Show. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire show, and would like to see them again if given the chance.

As for any news on the latest release, all I found was the The Singles Collection 1979-2012, which came out on June 4th, but I've figured that most longtime/huge fans would've already heard it all by now. I actually thought of getting it too, but I also thought of getting the rest of the actual albums first.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Killing Joke announced a new album called Pylon it will be out later this year. So far details about the album is scarce.

A new song off of the album Pylon:

I'm not really feeling this song. Hopefully the album version will get more of my attention.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Frigging NICE. Been on a major KJ trip for much of the last year, on and off.

And GO SEE THEM if they come to your neck of the woods. Can't emphasize that enough. When they came to my town for The Singles Collection, they destroyed. I went from casually interested to die-hard overnight.

\m/Brighter Than A Thousand Suns\m/

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

The new album, released on October 23rd via Spinefarm Records, PYLON is available to pre-order now from http://bit.ly/KJpylon.

10 track album + second CD including 5 bonus studio tracks.
    Disc One
    01 Autonomous Zone
    02 Dawn Of The Hive
    03 New Cold War
    04 Euphoria
    05 New Jerusalem
    06 War On Freedom
    07 Big Buzz
    08 Delete
    09 I Am The Virus
    10 Into The Unknown
    Disc Two
    01 Apotheosis
    02 Plague
    03 Star Spangled
    04 Panopticon
    05 Snakedance (Youth ‘Rattlesnake Dub’ Remix)
    *All tracks featured on disc 2 are brand new studio recordings

I can hardly wait! I need me some new Killing Joke!
    Hopefully next year the do an expansive tour in the U.S.

Also they have a new music video up for I Am The Virus but for some reason its region locked .

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Holy shit! Definitely worth the wait!
    Strong song to debut the album and I hope the rest of the songs are just as good.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Sounds pretty good though the whole 9/11, terrorism, oil, anti goverment etc thing is getting so tiresome now. Especially since Ministry have been flogging the same shit for the last ten years or so. Also like the fact that it's got a proper chorus in this and not repeating the same line(title track) over and over..like oh so many KJ songs before it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Psyched for the new album. But the Pledge pre-orders are super expensive, cheaper on Amazon anyway.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    At the very least, Jez keeps it entertaining due to his belief in half of the conspiracy theories that come down the pike. I can forgive that, unlike Al's rambling incoherent mess (not that i disagreed with the sentiment).

MAINTAIN GLOBAL POPULATION BELOW 500 MILLION!!!!!!

2CD version for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Great mother of fuck, has this been one of the greatest years for new music since the mid-90s or what?
    I'm feeling that way, too.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutilated View Post
    Psyched for the new album. But the Pledge pre-orders are super expensive, cheaper on Amazon anyway.

Jeeezuz, the Amazon price just jumped up to 20.16GBP for the deluxe version. FFS.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Are these guys even capable of disappointing? Awesome, awesome track.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I snagged a ticket to the Manchester Ritz gig in a month, cannot wait. Last time I saw them was the Hosannas tour, and the last tour with Raven. The sound wasn't too good that gig, but Hosannas holds a special place in my heart. Strength to strength since the reunion and Absolute Dissent, they can not put a single foot wrong.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Jaz is one of the greatest rock vocalists of all time. So excited for the new album. So stoked I will get to see them perform live. Oh man, what a way to kick off 2016.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Killing Joke

This is one of those bands I'd heard a lot about over the years, but for some reason, I just never bothered to check them out.

They popped in my head last week, so I grabbed my headphones and finally gave them a proper listen. Now I'm completely hooked. Wow!!! These guys are badass!

"Discovering" a band that's been around for 35+ years, with a large discography, that's still making great music is a rare treat for me. I'm still combing through their albums, but so far, I'm really digging their early-mid 80's stuff and their 2003+ albums.

They'll be in Phoenix in January, along with The Soft Moon (love 'em). I can't wait to hear the new album and catch them on tour.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Indeed, this band are amazing. So influential. I like many still hold in affection ....their first self titled album from 1980 the most, one of my fav albums of all time. Just Post Punk at its finest. Its the type of debut album most bands would dream of making. however

I think the album Pandemonium (1994) their first with Youth for a decade is jawdropping at points, followed by Killing Joke 2003, i love the production on that album. The nasty crunchy guitar sounds particuarly epic on that album.
    I was never a massive fan of Whats this For?? or Revelations, but loved the slightly New Wave sounding mid 80s album Night Time.

Probably their most underrated and heaviest album Extremities, Pain Dirt is great too.

I really want to see them live on this tour.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i LOVE what's this for....!, especially 'follow the leaders'- though i generally go for new wave more than a lot of folks around here. revelations never did much for me though...

i also have a LOT of love for brighter than a thousand sons which is universally shunned. i love it!

i caught their last (?) tour at irving plaza and it kicked ass...basically a greatest hits set that was all killer, no filler.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Only album I consider "weak" is Outside the Gate, which technically isn't really a KJ album to begin with. Brighter than... is one of my favorites.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Killing Joke has many hidden gems, out takes, alternative versions, remixes, dub variations, and rarities with so many different songs.
    Chaos For Breakfast is a great example and one of my favorite releases.
    Absolute Respect has some really good to ok covers and interpretations and its definitely work checking out for those who haven't.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Jesus Christ... This sounds like '81-'85 Killing Joke. They're on fucking fire right now. I'm going to lose my mind at this upcoming show.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Jesus Christ... This sounds like '81-'85 Killing Joke. They're on fucking fire right now. I'm going to lose my mind at this upcoming show.

You're not kidding. They're doing 30-second clips of every song on their FB and holy shit does New Cold War ever make me salivate to hear the rest. I thought Absolute Dissent was a frigging outstanding album for a band to make after such a huge career, but this is legit shaping up to maybe be one of their very, very best.

Fuck, I HOPE AND PRAY they come back to Montreal...

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Drippity drip drip

Spoilers: It's fucking amazing

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    ^Agreed! 'Dawn of the Hive' is fucking incredible, god knows how KJ are still capable of this level of quality after all this time..

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    They've done it again! Most bands after 30 years lose a few steps. Not KJ. Another solid album. Unless they go the Outside the Gate route again, I don't think they can do any wrong. Only way I see age catching up to them is Jaz's lack of screaming. Aside from that, he sounds great. You would think after all the years of screaming, his voice would be shot. How it isn't is beyond me. Musically, this is a great album. No signs of them losing it or slowing down.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This is their best album since Killing Joke 2003... Its fucking intense

One thing ive noticed, The post punk era bands have had the longest longevity of any form of rock music, maybe its some sort of mindset thing , Killing Joke, Wire, Swans, Foetus, i even like PILs new album, ....i saw Cabaret Voltaire last year blow me away with new music.....they have been around for decades yet they still kick ass and sound vital.
    They never sterilized their sound like so many do. Its awesome.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I just downloaded it from Rdio. About to take it for a spin...

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    That's really saying something, considering we've gotten Hosannas and Absolute Dissent since KJ2003.

Am I the only one here who would NOT fucking be disappointed AT ALL if they made another album or two in the same vein as their 80's new wave phase? The last record had a sort of throwback to that era with "In Cytherea"; does this new one have anything similar on it?
    I think myself and frankie_teardrop would be right there with you. I know we all hold Night Time and Brighter Than A Thousand Suns in pretty high regard.

And I'd say that this album definitely calls back to those in a few places. Euphoria and New Cold War come to mind.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Honestly, I'd rather have another KJ album with Grohl on drums...but ANY KJ album is a GREAT KJ album so it's w/e.

Anything they feel like recording and releasing is something I fucking DESPERATELY want to hear.

\m/

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Picked up my 2-disc edition today. The bonus disc hadn't surfaced beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    And I'd say that this album definitely calls back to those in a few places. Euphoria and New Cold War come to mind.
    Adding Plague to that list. Holy fuck, adding Plague. Bonus disc is very very well worth the few extra bucks if you're going CD.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    This is my favorite motherfucking album of the year! Holy shit I can't believe how amazing this album is....just absolute power on every track. The level of tribal power and intensity Paul Ferguson is playing at on these tracks at his age is insane.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Jaz's voice is just on fire right now. If you can't get up and lose your shit to these choruses, you need a body bag.